Share Your Controversial Darts Opinions

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: Share Your Controversial Darts Opinions

Post by Rogg » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:21 pm I want to see a legends tournament too, maybe not this year but when things are back to normal, even with a full PDC calendar you do get a free weekend here and there, think it'd suit BBC/ITV well, doesn't have to be made into anything serious but would be a great watch
The BBC? It possibly could have been bundled up as some Comic Relief thing back in the day. That thing they used to do at Lakeside with BDO players paired with people that the viewers had heard of.

They had a comedian one year:

not a girl

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:54 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm
TheMalteseDart wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:21 pm I want to see a legends tournament too, maybe not this year but when things are back to normal, even with a full PDC calendar you do get a free weekend here and there, think it'd suit BBC/ITV well, doesn't have to be made into anything serious but would be a great watch
The BBC? It possibly could have been bundled up as some Comic Relief thing back in the day. That thing they used to do at Lakeside with BDO players paired with people that the viewers had heard of.

A comedian and some bloke called Lee Mack

Barney's chief slave. Also severely addicted to The Ferret.

An ultimate jamboree of Lord Hobo-loving, Sexy Joyce worshipping, Smudger smearing, Goldfingering, Beautiful Biscuit bonanza.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:00 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:51 pm
The Thorn wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:36 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm
Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:30 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:29 pm Alcohol should be banned from the venues for the players. Make darts alcohol free from the time the players reach the venue.
Test players on arrival to the venue then after the match to ensure alcohol isn’t consumed.
Why?
Well it’s been banned from the players tables for many years, obviously for the tv image. Why not ban it at
the venue? If this was the rule, I doubt you would get any players refusing to play in events.
I don't see why it should be banned. You definitely underestimate how huge that change could be on the game. Most of the players drink. You are not going to stop it like that, it is what it is. Alcohol and darts are connected, from pub leagues to county, superleague, BDO/WDF events and the elite. It's unfortunate but you simply can't imagine the effects of enforcing a no alcohol rule.

I also don't see how banning it from players tables has anything to do with this. It's banned for the game's image as you say. As long as players drinking behind the scenes doesn't interfere with the game's image, what's the problem?
A well put point of view Thorn, but I don’t see what the players would do about it. Just for arguments sake, let’s say the PDC were going to trial this at the world Matchplay this year. No player is going to say’Fuck it I’m not playing unless I can drink alcohol’ I just think they would accept it, albeit possibly reluctantly.
Here’s another one, let’s say a player makes some controversial comments after a game and it was proved that said player has had a skinful and some tv viewers complained. Something like that may start people thinking ‘is it a good idea to let players drink before and during a game’
I don't think the players would refuse to participate, obviously. But it doesn't make sense banning alcohol at the top level when it's pretty much intertwined with the whole game and it's present at every other level. The consequences and changes we'd see is anyone's guess because it has never been tried. It's even possible that the standard would drop at the top level.

Players saying or doing stupid things has always been a part of the game. It's very rare that you can directly connect these cases to alcohol because it's impossible to know. The vast majority of viewers aren't even aware how intertwined alcohol is with darts. It's pretty much something that goes on behind the scenes and we just don't talk about it.

I don't see how the PDC could pull a ban off, or what the benefits would be.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:01 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 pm

Eh?

Wolfie was there every year. He was a very good court jester.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 pm

thegentle wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:38 pm
Rogg wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:20 pm
Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:13 pm
Rogg wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:09 pm You're all going to love this.

The top ten oche figures of all-time, according to SunSport darts reporter Rob Maul

[pic]
Just alluded to that on another thread
There is a healthy debate to be had from 3-6 but fuck off with Adams and dulla.
If you regard all unified, PDC and BDO 'major' titles as absolutely equal to each other, then it's a fair looking list at a glance.

Why in the name of Garry Thompson's toaster you would actually do that that is a whole other question. It takes some serious unplugging of the brain.
Not all of us have a fancy Sky subscription, Rogg ;)
I was a mere satellite dish away from being a mushroom. I could be having bizarre Doggy Dawson opinions at this very moment and a clubfoot. Frightens the life out of me.
not a girl

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:12 pm

DeepFriedRat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:43 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 pm
DeepFriedRat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:38 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:27 pm
DeepFriedRat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:13 pm -Fair enough on the ranking major point but the Grand Slam and PL wins are better than several major wins by worse players in that lean period. Implying lots of Wade majors, Painter winning the PCF, Whitlock on ESPN etc. The Grand Slam technically wasn't a ranking major then but it is now and I don't see why it can't be compared to it's current ranking incarnation. RVB's GSOD win was much more impressive to Price's first, in terms of standard and style of play.

- Definitely but even the best have flopped. Webster and Klaasen ones were bad but not horrendous losses as they had form going into the games. Webster was also somewhat of an RVB bogey player too, aside from the PL and 2016 GSOD QF, RVB hardly beat him on tv at all. The Richardson one was embarrassing.

However, even the best have flopped in high profile games. Taylor's losses to embryonic PDC versions of Smith and Chizzy spring to mind. Yes they're way better players than Mason and James Richardson but they are two players who have severe form for choking. The gulf in form and ranking between 2014 Taylor and 2014 Smith was much bigger than 2014 RVB (this the Worlds before his PL win) and 2014 Mark Webster.

He also lost to Klaasen too. Klaasen played very well at the end of that game, I remember watching it but he was very lucky not to flop vs Chuck Norris the round after. He also got raped by shit hot Anderson, which exemplified further how far off the pace Taylor was to the top in that tournament.

MVG is yet to experience serious World Championship embarrassment I feel. The Chizzy game was a case of just standing back and applauding.

-Possibly, but then why didn't he hit any on the HD boards? I know we're starting to see new nine-dart faces on tv but the argument that anyone can hit them is seriously flawed. Every player who's got one on tv has been a top player. Most have either won a tv event or reached the final. My man Ferret being the latest to graduate from tv 9 darter to tv winner (just had to get that in there :lol: ) yeah that's gone off topic in terms of RVB but a tangent worth expressing I think

- Also, on the latter stages of tv events, it's also worth noting that those were the only majors he played in, except getting smashed in the PL, UK Open by Mirror Man and Worlds by Big Daddy. He didn't make the Matchplay, WGP or Slam and only made half of the Euro Tours, so missed the Euros as well.
- If even the best have flopped, then why should it be held against Lowe and not RVB?

- Lowe was done by 2003. Long before the HD boards came into play. I also don't think that hitting 9 darters is a good measure of a player's overall quality. Peak performance? Perhaps.

- If RVB couldn't qualify for those events, then surely his final year wasn't that impressive outside of a few runs on TV?
- Lowe flopped plenty towards the end too tbf, Ronnie Sharp, Les Fitton and Gary Mawson spring to mind (Although Mawson also beat RVB in the UK Open I think, maybe)

- Would you prioritise a player's consistent quality over their peak then? I'm sure most would but there comes a point where I think others tend to overlook it. For example, if Lowe threw a ton average 100 times, would that make him better than RVB, if he was more likely hit 50 90 averages and 50 110 averages? The same argument could be made for James Wade vs Adrian Lewis in the all time debate.

- On the contrary, I think those runs make it impressive given how shite he had been elsewhere during the year. He could throw muck one week but roll back the years for a weekend the next. It wasn't incredibly impressive by any stretch, but better than Lowe's swansong years.
The Wade v Lewis debate is a good one. As Senna has said had Wade won the 2012 world title as he should have done, nobody would rank Lewis higher.
I still rate Wade top 10 due to his number of wins and longevity/consistency. One player could have a good couple of years and win more world titles, but does it make them a better player?
Whilst the world title is going to be the ultimate barometer regarding status, other events have to be taken into consideration?
I’ve asked this question before and nobody has really answered it, I suspect you might do.
How many PDC premier events would Wade have to win ( no world titles in this) for him to move higher up peoples all time listings?
So far he has 10 PDC premier events ( 3rd all time list) if he won say 13 of these would you rank him higher?
Surely if he had 13 and Lewis was still on 4 ( despite 2 being world titles) he has to rank higher?
Wade seems to keep going ( 2 finals last year and he really should have won the GSOD) you can’t see Lewis ever getting to a final let alone winning one.
I would definitely class Wade anywhere between probably 7th and 12th. It really depends on preference. Most people would have Wright, B Anderson and Priestley higher, maybe even Lewis and Part too.

As for your question HJ, honestly in my opinion I think Wade has reached the peak of most people's estimations, until he wins that World title. Winning the Grand Slam and more non-Worlds majors would consolidate him in the top 10 debate but I feel he needs that World title to break into the top 6.

If/once he does, he could well immediately go above Lowe and Anderson in casual fan's estimations and also above RVB for the forum purist's estimations. Many, many casual fans would put RVB above even Bristow and MVG, which is lunacy. That's due to his status in the game, a status which Wade unfortunately for his fans will never have.

Another thing which people take into consideration is his style of play and mannerisms. Anderson endears himself to casual fans by quick, explosive and no fuss play. Wade does damage through his incidents and general lower scoring-higher doubling punisher play.

If Wade were to win the Worlds, he might have the best overall career ever after the Big 3 (Taylor, MVG, Bristow). But at this moment, his consistent inconsistency in majors (popping up once every 2 or 3 years) is what's holding him back.

I think he's a Grand Slam title or another Matchplay/Grand Prix from having a better career over Priestley and Part, at least. Most of Wade's biggest majors were 2008-2012 so to win a big one again would prove his longevity.

He's probably already got a better overall career than Wright and Lewis but the World Championships is a big factor in that debate.

He's also miles ahead of any non-unified BDO-only World Champions so anyone who prioritises Adams, Durrant, Hankey or Waites over Wade is obviously clueless.
Some good points made very well there mate.
One thing about style of play regarding Anderson and Wade. For a casual fan I accept Anderson’s style is more pleasing on the eye, however with Anderson’s recent rants and his interviews have been more explosive than Wades of late ( some achievement) to some people this may put people off Anderson. It certainly seems to have on this forum, although I don’t tend to use this place as a barometer of public opinion 😀
For me though as a darts fan, it’s not all about hitting 180s all the time.
Two big reasons I am a big Wade fan is his doubling which when he is on it is better than just about anybody who has ever played the game and his bottle.
I think it was Randall who said on here, “If you could put Wade’s bottle into Michael Smith, you would have some player.”
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:26 pm

Why is wafe so prone to just fall apart one round to the next though?
Happens so often

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:26 am

Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:26 pm Why is wafe so prone to just fall apart one round to the next though?
Happens so often
When you say fall apart? I assume you mean inconsistency? I don’t know the answer to that, mind you in his Masters loss to Clayton he played brilliant, one of the best games he has played in recent years, yet somehow lost 😞
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:27 am

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:26 am
Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:26 pm Why is wafe so prone to just fall apart one round to the next though?
Happens so often
When you say fall apart? I assume you mean inconsistency? I don’t know the answer to that, mind you in his Masters loss to Clayton he played brilliant, one of the best games he has played in recent years, yet somehow lost 😞
I don't have an issue with Wade, but I was glad he lost that game.

You would have been insufferable had he gone on to win that tournament.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:38 am

Happens so often
It’s sometimes a mentality thing with him rather than just inconsistency he can’t seem to get rid of. He shows less emotion these days than he used to but even so there’s a different aura about him when he wants something compared to when he doesnt and it’s weird when it switches on and off, the game v Bunting at the worlds didn’t surprise any of us here whether you’re anti wade or a big wade fan, and the thing is obviously he wanted to win, but he just sometimes comes across as so flat

I don’t have a full understanding of bipolar so don’t want to say something ignorant but I feel like it could have something to do with the up and down performances we see from him, maybe Wade would perform consistently better if he was more of a wanker on the stage again and had the bit between his teeth rather than the mentality of “if I lose it’s whatever”

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:40 am

Happens so often
Great at 2pm in the afternoon
Comes back at 7pm and chucks shit
The variable in his level of performance is probably the most extreme at the top of the game

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:52 am

sennafan24 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:27 am
Happens so often
I don't have an issue with Wade, but I was glad he lost that game.

You would have been insufferable had he gone on to win that tournament.
I think you are doing me a disservice. If he had won I would have been pleased but contrary to what you or others might think I wouldn’t have banged on about it. Even when Duzza won the PL, other than having banter with yourself ( I wasn’t alone 😀) I didn’t go overboard.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 am

Duzza in the top 10 has upset folk

HAHAHHAHAHHHAHA
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:32 am

Morning oche

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:37 am

oche balboa wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 am Duzza in the top 10 has upset folk

HAHAHHAHAHHHAHA
Is Durrant in your Top 10? If not, are you able to explain why?
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:15 pm

Too complicated, evidently.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:18 pm

The world championship is far to weighted in terms of money/ranking

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:13 pm

Randall wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:18 pm The world championship is far to weighted in terms of money/ranking
Absolutely bang on. Take Chizzy for example, he had a bang average year has a good run at the worlds which gives him an inflated ranking in my opinion.
I think the two year money list could be reviewed tbf. I mean Rob Cross is currently the 4th ranked player in the world, yet there are several players below who are clearly playing better yet Cross has a PL place.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:17 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:13 pm
Randall wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:18 pm The world championship is far to weighted in terms of money/ranking
Absolutely bang on. Take Chizzy for example, he had a bang average year has a good run at the worlds which gives him an inflated ranking in my opinion.
I think the two year money list could be reviewed tbf. I mean Rob Cross is currently the 4th ranked player in the world, yet there are several players below who are clearly playing better yet Cross has a PL place.
Isnt it 5 times the tariff of the next biggest event?
I understand they want to pay as much as they can but in doing so they need to move away from money based oom

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:28 pm

Randall wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:17 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:13 pm
Isnt it 5 times the tariff of the next biggest event?
I understand they want to pay as much as they can but in doing so they need to move away from money based oom
You could solve the issue with simply correcting the WC's prize money in the rankings. Let's say only some percentage earned at the Worlds counts. I don't think there's anything wrong with the money based list apart from the WC issue.

The 2 year oom is another fair point, it helps the dull old out of form cunts stay up there. Again you could make a correction saying that only some percentage of the prize money counts from events that were more than a year ago.

I think both of these changes would lead to a fairer system. The PDC probably just doesn't think it's a big enough issue and/or they want to keep it as simple as possible. Overcomplication can be a problem too. Most of the casual fans can barely comprehend the rankings as it is.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE