Share Your Controversial Darts Opinions

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
sennafan24

Re: Share Your Controversial Darts Opinions

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:34 pm

That list wouldn't be too bad if it didn't include Adams and Duzza.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:36 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm
Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:30 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:29 pm Alcohol should be banned from the venues for the players. Make darts alcohol free from the time the players reach the venue.
Test players on arrival to the venue then after the match to ensure alcohol isn’t consumed.
Why?
Well it’s been banned from the players tables for many years, obviously for the tv image. Why not ban it at
the venue? If this was the rule, I doubt you would get any players refusing to play in events.
I don't see why it should be banned. You definitely underestimate how huge that change could be on the game. Most of the players drink. You are not going to stop it like that, it is what it is. Alcohol and darts are connected, from pub leagues to county, superleague, BDO/WDF events and the elite. It's unfortunate but you simply can't imagine the effects of enforcing a no alcohol rule.

I also don't see how banning it from players tables has anything to do with this. It's banned for the game's image as you say. As long as players drinking behind the scenes doesn't interfere with the game's image, what's the problem?
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:37 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:20 pm If you regard all unified, PDC and BDO 'major' titles as absolutely equal to each other, then it's a fair looking list at a glance.

Why in the name of Garry Thompson's toaster you would actually do that that is a whole other question. It takes some serious unplugging of the brain.
The BDO Worlds wasn't a proper a world title after around 2009/2010 in my opinion. Others will say earlier.

The tournament was certainly a joke by 2011.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:39 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:09 pm You're all going to love this.

The top ten oche figures of all-time, according to SunSport darts reporter Rob Maul

The top 6 are a gimme in my opinion, but not in that order. Mine would be,
Taylor
MVG
Bristow
Barney
Lowe
Anderson

Priestley would be at 7 on my list.
Last edited by HalloweenJack on Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:51 pm

The Thorn wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:36 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm
Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:30 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:29 pm Alcohol should be banned from the venues for the players. Make darts alcohol free from the time the players reach the venue.
Test players on arrival to the venue then after the match to ensure alcohol isn’t consumed.
Why?
Well it’s been banned from the players tables for many years, obviously for the tv image. Why not ban it at
the venue? If this was the rule, I doubt you would get any players refusing to play in events.
I don't see why it should be banned. You definitely underestimate how huge that change could be on the game. Most of the players drink. You are not going to stop it like that, it is what it is. Alcohol and darts are connected, from pub leagues to county, superleague, BDO/WDF events and the elite. It's unfortunate but you simply can't imagine the effects of enforcing a no alcohol rule.

I also don't see how banning it from players tables has anything to do with this. It's banned for the game's image as you say. As long as players drinking behind the scenes doesn't interfere with the game's image, what's the problem?
A well put point of view Thorn, but I don’t see what the players would do about it. Just for arguments sake, let’s say the PDC were going to trial this at the world Matchplay this year. No player is going to say’Fuck it I’m not playing unless I can drink alcohol’ I just think they would accept it, albeit possibly reluctantly.
Here’s another one, let’s say a player makes some controversial comments after a game and it was proved that said player has had a skinful and some tv viewers complained. Something like that may start people thinking ‘is it a good idea to let players drink before and during a game’
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:53 pm

Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 pm Why does barney certainly have to be above lowe?
1 world title in 13 years in the pdc?

Even in the bdo worlds as often as not when he drew someone decent he lost

Wallace
Mason
Fordham
King
Klaasen
Hankey

Etc etc
-Proved record in winning majors on old and new boards

-Bottle second to none at his peak, 2007 final, 2015 PL and 2016 Worlds spring to mind

-Very prolific with nine darters 2006-10, has still hit more on tv than anyone after Taylor and MVG (joint with Lewis). That's even after not getting one since 2010, that's how many he hit in that spell.

-Arguably more longevity than Lowe but that's up for debate

-Coped admirably with the sole expectation of a nation behind him until the Dutch fell out with him towards the end

- Lowe only won 3 World titles in 15 years of peak. Lost frequently to his top rivals of the era, Bristow, Wilson and Bob. A lot of these games, Lowe would've been expected to win except vs Eric.

-Compare to RVB, who has excellent Worlds records vs Gary Anderson and Adrian Lewis and high profile wins over Taylor and Van Gerwen, where he was expected to lose.

-RVB on the slide played a significantly higher standard than Lowe on the slide. Lowe lost 2nd round at the Worlds 4/5 of his last year's. In RVB's "disaster" final year he still managed a Pro Tour final, a QF at the PCFs and WSFs and a final in the NZ World Series event.

Granted, it's an exbo but it's still indicative of his quality whilst in decline.

Barney's chief slave. Also severely addicted to The Ferret.

An ultimate jamboree of Lord Hobo-loving, Sexy Joyce worshipping, Smudger smearing, Goldfingering, Beautiful Biscuit bonanza.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:58 pm

I know you didn't just mention barney in association with the word bottle

Losing to eric, jocky and bob equates well in contrast to barneys losses to mason, king and wallace.....

There is a debate to be had but "certainly" no.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:09 pm

Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:58 pm I know you didn't just mention barney in association with the word bottle

Losing to eric, jocky and bob equates well in contrast to barneys losses to mason, king and wallace.....

I am a Lowe fan as you know but I think Barney deserves to be higher on an all time list.’I don’t think I’ve ever seen one where Lowe is higher than Barney.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:11 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:09 pm
Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:58 pm I know you didn't just mention barney in association with the word bottle

I am a Lowe fan as you know but I think Barney deserves to be higher on an all time list.’I don’t think I’ve ever seen one where Lowe is higher than Barney.
Polls you see now like in every walk of life are trending
Take dulla I'm a top 10 list
In 20 years time?
Not a chance

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:16 pm

Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:11 pm

In 20 years time?
Not a chance
I accept Polls will trend depending on the current climate, but for me regarding Lowe and Barney they are 4 and 5 it’s not like there is a chasm between the two players.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:19 pm

DeepFriedRat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:53 pm

-Bottle second to none at his peak, 2007 final, 2015 PL and 2016 Worlds spring to mind

-Very prolific with nine darters 2006-10, has still hit more on tv than anyone after Taylor and MVG (joint with Lewis). That's even after not getting one since 2010, that's how many he hit in that spell.

-Coped admirably with the sole expectation of a nation behind him until the Dutch fell out with him towards the end

- Lowe only won 3 World titles in 15 years of peak. Lost frequently to his top rivals of the era, Bristow, Wilson and Bob. A lot of these games, Lowe would've been expected to win except vs Eric.

-Compare to RVB, who has excellent Worlds records vs Gary Anderson and Adrian Lewis and high profile wins over Taylor and Van Gerwen, where he was expected to lose.

-RVB on the slide played a significantly higher standard than Lowe on the slide. Lowe lost 2nd round at the Worlds 4/5 of his last year's. In RVB's "disaster" final year he still managed a Pro Tour final, a QF at the PCFs and WSFs and a final in the NZ World Series event.

Granted, it's an exbo but it's still indicative of his quality whilst in decline.
Eh?

- Despite competing in countless TV majors since joining the PDC in 2006, he didn't win a ranking major from 2007 up until his first retirement in 2020.

- Barney isn't above losing games at world championships that he was expected to win. I remember him losing to James Richardson, Mark Webster, and Jelle Klassen, games he really should have won.

- 9 darters are easier to come by in the modern era. The boards and equipment have advanced. It's also easier to reach the latter stages of TV events, given that there are more of them these days.

- Lowe won 3 titles in a unified field. Barney won 5, but only one of them came when Taylor was in the field. Sure, Taylor might have won fewer titles in a unified field, but so would have Barney.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:32 pm

DeepFriedRat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:51 pm - Barney is due a bit more respect on here as a player. I'd have him as all time 4th, behind Taylor, MVG and Bristow.

There's no way I agree with him being 6th of all time. He's certainly got to be better than Lowe and Anderson. Everyone forgets the decade where Gary Anderson tanked constantly and blew unbelievable amounts of doubles at a consistent basis. He was also pretty shit in the BDO, when churned against a pretty questionable field.
Anderson matured as he gained more TV experience in the PDC.

He went on to have a much better PDC career than Barney had. He won more world titles in the PDC than RVB and more ranking majors as well. He also leads him head to head by a score of 23 to 19.

I rate Anderson higher because his success was achieved in a unified field. The PDC had almost all of the best players from 2009 onward. By contrast, most of RVB's success came when Taylor, Part, Priestley and others played in a different code.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Now that he has a tour card, OBM should bring back his invisible dog.
not a girl

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:51 pm

Had he not injured his hand in 2002, DBG would have won Lakeside in 2003.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:52 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:47 pm Now that he has a tour card, OBM should bring back his invisible dog.
Harsh on Bo

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:01 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:16 pm

In 20 years time?
Not a chance
I accept Polls will trend depending on the current climate, but for me regarding Lowe and Barney they are 4 and 5 it’s not like there is a chasm between the two players.
Lowe was far better mentally than barney

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:45 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:51 pm Had he not injured his hand in 2002, DBG would have won Lakeside in 2003.
This thread is for controversial opinions only

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:54 pm

Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:01 pm

In 20 years time?
Not a chance
Absolutely agree in terms of perseverance and setbacks. The amount of times RVB has flopped in games and gave up inconceivably is countless. But I think it's harsh to say he had no bottle.

The 2007 deciding leg, almost every player in history would've cracked after Philth hit the 180.

In the 2015, 2016 and 2017 World Championships, RVB beat Cave-in (twice), Lewis (twice), Bunting (twice), MVG, Taylor, M Smith all in deciding sets or at least 5-3.

In the 2015 PL, he was on the brink of relegation, got a draw against Gando to survive. Then after Judgement Night, he beat Taylor, MVG, Lewis, Anderson, Chizzy (7-5 from 2-5) and Bunting in 7 weeks. The only player he didn't beat was Wade, which was a draw. I know he went on to tank the O2 but I really don't think that run is talked often enough in terms of most consistent tv major performances.

When he's on it, only prime Taylor, MVG and Wade are more clutch.

An ultimate jamboree of Lord Hobo-loving, Sexy Joyce worshipping, Smudger smearing, Goldfingering, Beautiful Biscuit bonanza.

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:13 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:19 pm
DeepFriedRat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:53 pm

Eh?

- Despite competing in countless TV majors since joining the PDC in 2006, he didn't win a ranking major from 2007 up until his first retirement in 2020.

- Barney isn't above losing games at world championships that he was expected to win. I remember him losing to James Richardson, Mark Webster, and Jelle Klassen, games he really should have won.

- 9 darters are easier to come by in the modern era. The boards and equipment have advanced. It's also easier to reach the latter stages of TV events, given that there are more of them these days.

- Lowe won 3 titles in a unified field. Barney won 5, but only one of them came when Taylor was in the field. Sure, Taylor might have won fewer titles in a unified field, but so would have Barney.
-Fair enough on the ranking major point but the Grand Slam and PL wins are better than several major wins by worse players in that lean period. Implying lots of Wade majors, Painter winning the PCF, Whitlock on ESPN etc. The Grand Slam technically wasn't a ranking major then but it is now and I don't see why it can't be compared to it's current ranking incarnation. RVB's GSOD win was much more impressive to Price's first, in terms of standard and style of play.

- Definitely but even the best have flopped. Webster and Klaasen ones were bad but not horrendous losses as they had form going into the games. Webster was also somewhat of an RVB bogey player too, aside from the PL and 2016 GSOD QF, RVB hardly beat him on tv at all. The Richardson one was embarrassing.

However, even the best have flopped in high profile games. Taylor's losses to embryonic PDC versions of Smith and Chizzy spring to mind. Yes they're way better players than Mason and James Richardson but they are two players who have severe form for choking. The gulf in form and ranking between 2014 Taylor and 2014 Smith was much bigger than 2014 RVB (this the Worlds before his PL win) and 2014 Mark Webster.

He also lost to Klaasen too. Klaasen played very well at the end of that game, I remember watching it but he was very lucky not to flop vs Chuck Norris the round after. He also got raped by shit hot Anderson, which exemplified further how far off the pace Taylor was to the top in that tournament.

MVG is yet to experience serious World Championship embarrassment I feel. The Chizzy game was a case of just standing back and applauding.

-Possibly, but then why didn't he hit any on the HD boards? I know we're starting to see new nine-dart faces on tv but the argument that anyone can hit them is seriously flawed. Every player who's got one on tv has been a top player. Most have either won a tv event or reached the final. My man Ferret being the latest to graduate from tv 9 darter to tv winner (just had to get that in there :lol: ) yeah that's gone off topic in terms of RVB but a tangent worth expressing I think

- Also, on the latter stages of tv events, it's also worth noting that those were the only majors he played in, except getting smashed in the PL, UK Open by Mirror Man and Worlds by Big Daddy. He didn't make the Matchplay, WGP or Slam and only made half of the Euro Tours, so missed the Euros as well.
Last edited by DeepFriedRat on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Gronk

Post by The Gronk » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:17 pm

DeepFriedRat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:54 pm
Randall wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:01 pm

In 20 years time?
Not a chance
Absolutely agree in terms of perseverance and setbacks. The amount of times RVB has flopped in games and gave up inconceivably is countless. But I think it's harsh to say he had no bottle.

The 2007 deciding leg, almost every player in history would've cracked after Philth hit the 180.

In the 2015, 2016 and 2017 World Championships, RVB beat Cave-in (twice), Lewis (twice), Bunting (twice), MVG, Taylor, M Smith all in deciding sets or at least 5-3.

In the 2015 PL, he was on the brink of relegation, got a draw against Gando to survive. Then after Judgement Night, he beat Taylor, MVG, Lewis, Anderson, Chizzy (7-5 from 2-5) and Bunting in 7 weeks. The only player he didn't beat was Wade, which was a draw. I know he went on to tank the O2 but I really don't think that run is talked often enough in terms of most consistent tv major performances.

When he's on it, only prime Taylor, MVG and Wade are more clutch.
Lets be honest, at the end of his last run as a 'Pro', RvB was nothing more than a high end jobber. Yes, all the potential in the world and a big name, but nothing more than that. Lowe played to a decent standard pretty much all the way through and never behaved like RvB. Lowe is more of an all time great than him.