2020 PDC World Cup of Darts

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
SuperSwede

Re: 2020 PDC World Cup of Darts

Post by SuperSwede » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:15 pm

Rogg wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:11 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:06 pm
Rogg wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:02 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:55 pm
The Thorn wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:14 pm I'm still of the opinion that this is a great tournament. The short format, pairs aspect and seeing different players make it completely unique and enjoyable. It clearly means a lot to the players as well.
Randall wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:15 pm Was as good today as it was bad yesterday
I like the event. The second day was horrific and perhaps makes the case that at the very east it should be pairs only for the first two rounds, the quality of the quarter finals teams is much more reliable to then make the singles worthwhile. It seems like they don't want to make it pars only throughout so this could be a good compromise.
I've suspected (I have) that the reluctance to do the whole thing in the pairs format is because TV/bookies like the many-mini-games for revenue reasons. I know nothing of course. Could that be a thing?
Possibly but think it's mainly out of trying to almost ensure the big names and nations are there come the Sunday evening.
Matt Porter has said that it has the opposite effect. He says it brings the smaller nations more into the picture...? Who knows.
He's wrong or more likely fibbing. How would they have a bigger % chance of winning either two singles matches or one singles match then winning a doubles match than just winning a one-off doubles game?
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:19 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:15 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:55 pm

I like the event. The second day was horrific and perhaps makes the case that at the very east it should be pairs only for the first two rounds, the quality of the quarter finals teams is much more reliable to then make the singles worthwhile. It seems like they don't want to make it pars only throughout so this could be a good compromise.
I've suspected (I have) that the reluctance to do the whole thing in the pairs format is because TV/bookies like the many-mini-games for revenue reasons. I know nothing of course. Could that be a thing?
Possibly but think it's mainly out of trying to almost ensure the big names and nations are there come the Sunday evening.
Matt Porter has said that it has the opposite effect. He says it brings the smaller nations more into the picture...? Who knows.
He's wrong or more likely fibbing. How would they have a bigger % chance of winning either two singles matches or one singles match then winning a doubles match than just winning a one-off doubles game?
Well if they drag the tie to a mini doubles decider by winning just one mini game then there's some degree of achievement and excitement.
not a girl

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:35 pm

Rogg wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:19 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:15 pm
Well if they drag the tie to a mini doubles decider by winning just one mini game then there's some degree of achievement and excitement.
Agree but the chances of that are quite small in the second round I would say.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:33 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:15 pm He's wrong or more likely fibbing. How would they have a bigger % chance of winning either two singles matches or one singles match then winning a doubles match than just winning a one-off doubles game?
I think it makes less of a difference than people say though. Winning a first to 8/10 doubles game wouldn't be much easier. In the singles your better player can often get you a win and then you get a shorter doubles game. Sure a poor team isn't winning either way but Ratajski, Petersen or De Sousa can probably carry their team easier in the current format. When you get a more balanced team such as Canada or Spain it's the other way around.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:45 pm

The idea of filling the middle day with Best of 15/17/19 pairs games doesn't make me feel happy at all.
not a girl

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:30 pm

I wouldn't have the pairs overly lengthy in the second round, best of 11 would do. If they're close they're close and if not get them out the way.

AshleyGaffney

Post by AshleyGaffney » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:58 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can watch full re-runs of the world cup of darts? I was unable to watch all of it, I have Sky but they only show a few games on Catch-Up but I want to watch the lot. Thanks!

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:19 am

AshleyGaffney wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:58 pm Hello,

Does anyone know where I can watch full re-runs of the world cup of darts? I was unable to watch all of it, I have Sky but they only show a few games on Catch-Up but I want to watch the lot. Thanks!
Welcome,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUJ148 ... U8w/videos ---- this channel is missing only a few games

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeRlAq ... kKw/videos ---- and this one has some of the days streamed where you might be able to find the games that are missing in the above link

AshleyGaffney

Post by AshleyGaffney » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:24 am

@superswede

Thanks very much for sending those, really appreciate it! 👍🏻 First link doesn't have any unfortunately but the second link is spot on and has a lot of them

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:44 pm

AshleyGaffney wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:24 am @superswede

Thanks very much for sending those, really appreciate it! 👍🏻 First link doesn't have any unfortunately but the second link is spot on and has a lot of them
No worries. Are you sure about that first link? Checked again and all but a handful of games are there. Once one works I suppose, enjoy.

AshleyGaffney

Post by AshleyGaffney » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:58 pm

Yeah I can't see any world cup games but the second link has been a big help, cheers for that 👍🏻

Malanax

Post by Malanax » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:49 pm

i cant see any world cup games on the first link either, euros is most recent upload shown

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:01 am

That is strange, are you both in England and they could be geo-blocked maybe?

Barney Army

Post by Barney Army » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:47 pm

thegentle wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:25 pm
vizIIsto wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:12 am So the only country who has someone with a TC missing out is Croatia? And that while they have more than capable second men in the Ljubic brothers.
Are Alan and Pero brothers? Anyway I believe the reason why Latvia got priority when China pulled out is because Razma is higher in the rankings than big Boris, but I may be wrong on that one
Pero and Alan Ljubić indeed aren't brothers, or in any other way related. Ljubić is a popular surname in Croatia. Btw. Pero lives in Austria and sometimes play for Austria aswell, while Alan lives in Croatia and from some reason doesn't play Q-School ever.