Which dart players with near misses will never win a major/TV title

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
cannibal

Re: Which dart players with near misses will never win a major/TV title

Post by cannibal » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:54 pm

Your probably right. And he did think the gif I posted above was funny. OTOH he needs to find new material for his interviews. But so do many players.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Personally think Durrant will do about as well as Gurney. Win some floor, a eurotour or two, and pinch a tv event with some shithousery and a few great performances.
Boring Brendas number one and (almost) only fan.

Smithys number one and (definitely not) only hater.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:50 pm

The Thorn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:46 pm I personally think Glen is genuinely a decent guy like that, who is a bit surprised himself about his own success. Like Mensur was a few years ago. I don't think either of them were putting a show on for sympathy, it's just in their personality. I'll admit it may not be the best attitude to have for professional sport, but I don't have a problem with it honestly. We'll see whether his game holds up during the years and whether his mentality changes.
Good post.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:52 pm

cannibal wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:54 pm Your probably right. And he did think the gif I posted above was funny. OTOH he needs to find new material for his interviews. But so do many players.
Let Chizzy do the interviews for all the players.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:57 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:50 pm
The Thorn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:46 pm I personally think Glen is genuinely a decent guy like that, who is a bit surprised himself about his own success. Like Mensur was a few years ago. I don't think either of them were putting a show on for sympathy, it's just in their personality. I'll admit it may not be the best attitude to have for professional sport, but I don't have a problem with it honestly. We'll see whether his game holds up during the years and whether his mentality changes.
Good post.
Self-praise there.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:16 pm

Emulsfier wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:33 pm Personally think Durrant will do about as well as Gurney. Win some floor, a eurotour or two, and pinch a tv event with some shithousery and a few great performances.
That's a good comparison. Gurney is similar to Duzza in the sense that neither will set the world on fire but both are very good at plodding along. Which might not be everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes you just need this ability at the top to make the most out of your career. People seem to forget Gurney has the same number of majors as Wright or Price.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:30 pm

The Thorn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:16 pm
Emulsfier wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:33 pm Personally think Durrant will do about as well as Gurney. Win some floor, a eurotour or two, and pinch a tv event with some shithousery and a few great performances.
That's a good comparison. Gurney is similar to Duzza in the sense that neither will set the world on fire but both are very good at plodding along. Which might not be everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes you just need this ability at the top to make the most out of your career. People seem to forget Gurney has the same number of majors as Wright or Price.
I'd sooner forget him altogether

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:32 pm

:roll:
sennafan24 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:57 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:50 pm
Good post.
Self-praise there.
🥱 And so it begins.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Doesn’t Wright have 3 tv titles?
U.K. open
World
Masters

Ps Waiting for Senna to come along and tell me I’m correcting myself.😀

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:37 pm

Randall wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:30 pm
Who can forget his fake punch thrown behind Price’s back at Sheffield last year. As you may remember Randall, I was there that night but your IP tracker probably would have said I was in Penzance at the time. 😉

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:43 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:37 pm
Who can forget his fake punch thrown behind Price’s back at Sheffield last year. As you may remember Randall, I was there that night but your IP tracker probably would have said I was in Penzance at the time. 😉
I've blocked pretty much everything about gurney from my mind
I've lost interest in the ip tracker now
Was fun for 5 minutes

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:45 pm

Randall wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:43 pm
I've blocked pretty much everything about gurney from my mind
I've lost interest in the ip tracker now
Was fun for 5 minutes
My locations were fun. I mean it didn’t even get the right country at one point 🤯

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:51 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:33 pm
Doesn’t Wright have 3 tv titles?
U.K. open
World
Masters

Ps Waiting for Senna to come along and tell me I’m correcting myself.😀
Wright's UK Open was "frowned upon"
Because "MvG DiDn'T PlAy ThAt ToUrNaMeNt"

“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Rogg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:05 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:54 pm Didn’t Jenkins lose 9 finals?
Did too. 9 finals in 8 years to 5 players.

matchplay
2007 - James Wade def Terry Jenkins 18-7
2009 - Phil Taylor def Terry Jenkins 18-4

grand prix
2006 - Phil Taylor def Terry Jenkins 7-4
2007 - James Wade def Terry Jenkins 6-3

uk open
2014 - Adrian Lewis def Terry Jenkins 11-1

grand slam
2008 - Phil Taylor def Terry Jenkins 18-9

euros
2014 - Michael van Gerwen def Terry Jenkins 11-4

premier league
2007 - Phil Taylor def Terry Jenkins 16-6

desert classic
2007 - Raymond van Barneveld def Terry Jenkins 13-6
He got slaughtered in everyone.
Poor Terry :lol:

“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:55 pm

It's fucking Big Worm.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Dfc180

Post by Dfc180 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:23 pm

I don't think it will be his mentality that lets him down, it will be his lack of an extra gear to score massive for a couple of sessions/sets in the longer games that will cost him

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:27 pm

Alright, let's put a younger name out here.

Joe Cullen has had some decent runs in tournaments, especially in 2018 in the Matchplay and Euros. He's had a long time without any real title besides floor events, and won a Euro Tour in 2019. Personally, I don't think he's got the 'get-the-job-done' mentality when he's in a final. I don't doubt he'll make a final, he'll probably make multiple, but there's something about him that hints he will never be a major winner.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:29 pm

Never is a long time but I don't think Cullen will ever win anything of note

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 pm

vizIIsto wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:27 pm Alright, let's put a younger name out here.

Joe Cullen has had some decent runs in tournaments, especially in 2018 in the Matchplay and Euros. He's had a long time without any real title besides floor events, and won a Euro Tour in 2019. Personally, I don't think he's got the 'get-the-job-done' mentality when he's in a final. I don't doubt he'll make a final, he'll probably make multiple, but there's something about him that hints he will never be a major winner.
I'm still seething about the 2018 Euro final. It should have been Cullen v Hopp. One of them would have won it. I won't even mention the match point fly in Blackpool.

It seems like a big hill for Cullen to climb again but you never know. At least he does have a stage title in Europe, as does Hopp indeed.
not a girl

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:47 pm

There's a reason I mentioned Cullen over Hopp. Both have had a few notable runs on tv. The difference is that Cullen had more shouts of getting the job done than Hopp has. This to say that Hopp isn't good enough for a title, no, he's not good enough 'yet'. But he has shown the ability to shine in important moments, kind of like Dimitri and Gurney. They have won titles. Hopp has the potential to follow if he steps up his game.
Cullen seems to be already at his max, and he's not a player to win anything of sorts.