Which dart players with near misses will never win a major/TV title

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: Which dart players with near misses will never win a major/TV title

Post by Rogg » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:25 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:30 pm I remember the 2009 Matchplay well. Taylor was at his best that week.
Likewise at the 2014 UK Open where Lewis was just insane. Unplayable in the final - just in case it looks like Jenks had a big chance in that one... Lewis averaged 109.

A tough ask for Jenkins to have won any of those finals, really. He could have played considerably better in a few of them and still had almost no chance.

The 2007 Matchplay final was maybe his best opportunity against the child Wade. He may even have been favourite for that one but he played poorly.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:31 pm

Have two of this type of player ever met each other in a big final? What happened?
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Painter played webster in a final as I recall

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Randall wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:51 pm Painter played webster in a final as I recall
"Have some of that son"

HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:02 pm

Michael Smith will win multiple majors, certainly closer to 5 than 0.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:46 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:45 pm These players will not win a TV major imo.

- Duzza
- Chizzy
- Bully Smith
- Bunting

Not sure if Duzza and Bunting count as players who have "been near to winning big titles". Given that neither have made a final of a PDC major yet.
Something about 3 world titles.

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:47 pm

Rogg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:31 pm Have two of this type of player ever met each other in a big final? What happened?
They'd still be playing, choking away the years.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:35 pm

Courtesy of JC:

HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:37 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:35 pm Courtesy of JC:

"I need an audience".

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Ross, Bob wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:37 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:35 pm Courtesy of JC:

"I need an audience".

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:13 am

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:45 pm These players will not win a TV major imo.

- Duzza
- Chizzy
- Bully Smith
- Bunting

Not sure if Duzza and Bunting count as players who have "been near to winning big titles". Given that neither have made a final of a PDC major yet.
Thanks for putting this in early so it's easy to find.

Anyone who thinks Duzza won't win something on TV in the next couple of years is delusional.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:20 am

Ross, Bob wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:47 pm
Rogg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:31 pm Have two of this type of player ever met each other in a big final? What happened?
They'd still be playing, choking away the years.
It's an interesting question as by winning a TV Title you instantly stop being a choker, apparently.

As Randall mentioned, Painter v Webster is a good shout. Both would have been long odds against Taylor, Lewis, Ando etc if they had made that Final. As it was, Painter is a Major winner and no longer a choker.

Whitlock is the obvious other one for me. Played in 6 PDC Major Finals for 1 win, and that was against Wes Newton.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:20 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:13 am

- Duzza
- Chizzy
- Bully Smith
- Bunting

Anyone who thinks Duzza won't win something on TV in the next couple of years is delusional.
I specified a TV major, which I count as the Worlds, UK Open, Grand Prix and Matchplay.

If he wins one of those, which I don't think he will, I will happily admit that I was wrong.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:28 am

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:20 am

- Duzza
- Chizzy
- Bully Smith
- Bunting

I specified a TV major, which I count as the Worlds, UK Open, Grand Prix and Matchplay.

If he wins one of those, which I don't think he will, I will happily admit that I was wrong.
Backtracking already I see. Thread says Major/TV Title.

By excluding all but 4 tournaments you have obviously greatly increased your chances of being right, but to mention him in the same sentence as the 3 losers from St Helens does seem rather premature to me.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:43 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:28 am

- Duzza
- Chizzy
- Bully Smith
- Bunting

By excluding all but 4 tournaments you have obviously greatly increased your chances of being right, but to mention him in the same sentence as the 3 losers from St Helens does seem rather premature to me.
Not backtracking.

I clearly stated in my initial response a TV major. The OP actually changed the thread title as I was typing.

I actually think that Bully Smith has a better chance of winning a major than Duzza. He is a better talent and has already won a PDC TV title, even if it did come in the World Series.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:06 am

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:43 am
Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:28 am

- Duzza
- Chizzy
- Bully Smith
- Bunting

Not backtracking.

I clearly stated in my initial response a TV major. The OP actually changed the thread title as I was typing.

I actually think that Bully Smith has a better chance of winning a major than Duzza. He is a better talent and has already won a PDC TV title, even if it did come in the World Series.
Well Smith does have time on his hands, but that is all I can see.

If Duzza played Smith in a Major Final in the next couple of years, are you seriously saying you think Smith would win?

And good to see you admitting Duzza is a better player than Chizzy and Bunting.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:21 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:06 am If Duzza played Smith in a Major Final in the next couple of years, are you seriously saying you think Smith would win?
Smith beat Duzza in the semi-final of the Matchplay last year. Yet, Duzza beat Smith at the GSOD last year over a long format. So it is clear it could go either way. I'd lean towards Smith because I think he's the better talent and stronger over long formats. Both have issues with bottle.

Is Duzza better than Chizzy and Bunting? On current form, yes. But at various points in the past those two players were at the same level that Duzza is at now, and neither of them won a TV major.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:33 am

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:21 am
Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:06 am If Duzza played Smith in a Major Final in the next couple of years, are you seriously saying you think Smith would win?
Smith beat Duzza in the semi-final of the Matchplay last year. Yet, Duzza beat Smith at the GSOD last year over a long format. So it is clear it could go either way. I'd lean towards Smith because I think he's the better talent and stronger over long formats. Both have issues with bottle.

Is Duzza better than Chizzy and Bunting? On current form, yes. But at various points in the past those two players were at the same level that Duzza is at now, and neither of them won a TV major.
My point about Chizzy and Bunting was that they have already had a long time in the PDC and have despite periods of form proven to be non-winners. They haven't even won a minor TV event.

You need to wait at least 5 more years before you can lump Duzza in that category. You may be proven right in time, but I have a strong feeling he will win some PDC TV titles, even if they aren't one of the sacred 4 that you only count.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:35 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:33 am My point about Chizzy and Bunting was that they have already had a long time in the PDC and have despite periods of form proven to be non-winners. They haven't even won a minor TV event.

You need to wait at least 5 more years before you can lump Duzza in that category. You may be proven right in time, but I have a strong feeling he will win some PDC TV titles, even if they aren't one of the sacred 4 that you only count.
Well we will have to wait and see then, won't we?

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:39 am

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:35 am
Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:33 am My point about Chizzy and Bunting was that they have already had a long time in the PDC and have despite periods of form proven to be non-winners. They haven't even won a minor TV event.

Well we will have to wait and see then, won't we?
In 5 years time he could have won the Premier League, Grand Slam, World Series Finals, Masters and PC Finals, but not one of your Majors, and you'll still be claiming you were right.

The odds are in your favour I guess.