The WDF Discussion Thread

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
sennafan24

Re: WDF Announcement of New Ranking Criteria (So Long BDO?)

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Rogg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:34 pm There was one useful piece of information in the late but seething Uncle Derek's flounce-off ultra rampage.

the WDF […] trying to stage their own World Championships back at the Lakeside on December 5th
Good spot. I missed that bit of information.

That's the week before the PDC World Championship is scheduled to be held. Probably a better time to hold a darts event than early January.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Rogg

Re: WDF Announcement of New Ranking Criteria (So Long BDO?/Randall is a senile old tosser)

Post by Rogg » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:26 pm

oche balboa wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:49 pm WDF World Masters
WDF Championship

"World" will be removed or not used for the "World Championship"
Any luck?
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:30 pm

btw on the podcast thingy Richard Ashdown described his current WDF role as "Chief Cancellation Officer", lol.
not a girl

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:08 pm

Think WDF like the BDO makes the mistake of trying to put their championship in the same calendar space as PDC. I get xmas is a tradition for darts but face reality that now belongs to the PDC. They stole the show.

The whole covid thing should be a used by the WDF to get the shit sorted and use this break to change their calendar so they arent banging up directly against the PDC. Then when they can get on TV they won't have direct competition or comparisons to the PDC.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:12 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:04 pm
Rogg wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:34 pm There was one useful piece of information in the late but seething Uncle Derek's flounce-off ultra rampage.

the WDF […] trying to stage their own World Championships back at the Lakeside on December 5th
Good spot. I missed that bit of information.

That's the week before the PDC World Championship is scheduled to be held. Probably a better time to hold a darts event than early January.
I heard someone say they intend to have the World Masters as their "year ending event", possible they meant darting year as opposed to calendar year i guess but think that event would suit better at that time. They could target the few weeks when the PDC is in AUS and NZ with the World Series for their World Championships.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:18 pm

https://www.dartswdf.com/2020/08/26/wdf ... -cup-info/
This fall, the WDF will crown the first ever men’s and women’s International Virtual Cup champions. Enter your team for a chance to make history!
not a girl

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:54 pm

Rogg wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:18 pm https://www.dartswdf.com/2020/08/26/wdf ... -cup-info/
This fall, the WDF will crown the first ever men’s and women’s International Virtual Cup champions. Enter your team for a chance to make history!
At east they're trying something, their hands are pretty much tied until they can get crowds in.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:19 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:54 pm
Rogg wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:18 pm https://www.dartswdf.com/2020/08/26/wdf ... -cup-info/
At east they're trying something, their hands are pretty much tied until they can get crowds in.
That ship sailed years ago
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:27 pm

I fully expect no crowds indoors until June or July of next year. What happens this winter with flu and covid could be scary. Flu could be lessened this season if social distancing and masks are used thru the winter. But given the UK numbers and behavior up to this point I think the UK and USA are in for major shit this winter.
We Desire Information.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:47 am

M H wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:19 pm
But 1,000s enter their opens hey.
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:05 pm

That ship sank years ago
Yes.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:01 pm

oche balboa wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:47 am
For a day on the beer and chuck a few darts. Doesn't fill venues for TV events
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:15 pm

For the unrealistic scale the BDO were shooting for sure.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:38 pm

M H wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:01 pm
oche balboa wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:47 am
For a day on the beer and chuck a few darts. Doesn't fill venues for TV events
Their is or should be no doubt the WDF and BDO have or had a role to play in darts and growing the sport. Yes 1,000s who enter are proof of that WDF and BDO and all the other dozen of acronyms across the globe have some contribution to darts growth. OTOH the PDC is mainly about Pro level darts, ok some of what they do is bridging the gap between amateur and Pro. And MH is imho correct it doesn't make good money to support the really serious players or even expanding the upper level of the game. I think a few events at the amateur level could be good value for a one day TV deal and even good viewing. But days on end the deals aren't worth shit nor are they good viewing.

Here is where I take real issue with the previous post, the idea that "at least they are doing something". Just because they are do something doesn't mean it is a worthy cause or even a cause that is worth the effort. Doing something should be adding to value and contributing to long term goals and doing it well is important. Because a cock up or poor quality isn't just a set back for that event. When it comes to TV and getting asses in seats, a cock up can have longer term effects that resonate for years.

My impression is the WDF is just trying to fill the BDO void. That is a recipe that will result in wasted money and effort. In a previous post way back when I said this Covid thing could be a blessing for the WDF, my reasoning is it gives them time to find a way to make themselves relevant and work in conjuction with the PDC to create a larger value for darts overall; both in TV markets and a graduated structure of competitiveness like football. How that should be done I'm not really sure. But, at a minimum the WDF role should be getting the best of the best going thru the to the regional PDC affiliate tours. Helping to create more regional affiliate tours in new regions. And at the same time providing good opportunities for the local punters across the globe. A plan that has these goals I can see the PDC dropping some money into it.
We Desire Information.

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:14 pm

cannibal wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:38 pm My impression is the WDF is just trying to fill the BDO void. That is a recipe that will result in wasted money and effort. In a previous post way back when I said this Covid thing could be a blessing for the WDF, my reasoning is it gives them time to find a way to make themselves relevant and work in conjunction with the PDC to create a larger value for darts overall; both in TV markets and a graduated structure of competitiveness like football. How that should be done I'm not really sure. But, at a minimum the WDF role should be getting the best of the best going thru the to the regional PDC affiliate tours. Helping to create more regional affiliate tours in new regions. And at the same time providing good opportunities for the local punters across the globe. A plan that has these goals I can see the PDC dropping some money into it.
You're absolutely spot on, cannibal. If you take arguably the best organised regional PDC tour (matchfixing shenanigans aside :roll:) in the DPA Pro Tour, then the WDF should be encouraging Darts Australia players to go for it. How you get players to move from the WDF system into the PDC system, that's the question. DPA Tour Cards for the best performing DA players? You could have something similar with DPNZ and the NZDC system.

On the subject of the "BDO void" I even thought at the time of the announcement how all of the stuff about guaranteed qualifiers for a World Championship was a bit much. In this day and age there does not need to be an amateur World Championship. They should have stuck with their initial idea of the season ending Masters which I thought would be OK. Hold it the first week in December before the PDC Worlds. If the WDF desperately want an equivalent, turn the World Cup into an annual event.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:31 am

So the WDF have come out with this today: https://www.dartswdf.com/2020/09/15/dev ... -for-2021/

This is the most interesting part:
For 2021, securing a clearly defined payout structure for WDF ranking events is the priority, with particular focus on establishing synergy between men’s and women’s prize structure in the future.

The DUTCH OPEN, widely regarded as the world’s premier open competition, receives ‘Platinum’ points for 2021 and will award over €30,000 in prize money.

We are also pleased to announce the first events granted ‘Gold’ status for 2021.

ISLE OF MAN OPEN
GERMAN OPEN
DENMARK OPEN
WELSH OPEN
ENGLAND OPEN
IRISH OPEN

Each of our European ‘Gold’ tournaments in 2021 will have a minimum prize fund of €17,000. Those listed also feature a ‘Silver’ event, with a minimum prize fund of €7,000.
A possible small start to an eventual money-based Order of Merit similar to the PDC's? Points will probably still take precedence owing to the far more regionalised nature of the WDF.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:40 am

What in the fuck does "synergy between men and women prize structure" mean? Using big words to sound like you know what your talking about makes you look like a right tit.

The only synergy between men and women game at the tournament level is the mens numbers making up the ladies prize fund. That isn't a synergy. That is parasitic relationship.
We Desire Information.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:45 am

the combined power of a group of things when they are working together that is greater than the total power achieved by each working separately:
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:53 am

To fiss previous point and post. I think the World Masters should be the WDF showcase event the world championship for the WDF if you like. It is the biggest pool of talent from across the globe. For those outside Europe it is the one event that players in all the far flung places get a chance at. Ok many play to get on the world cup team but I many cases that is about ass licking not merit.

WDF should focus on reviving and branding the masters properly. It is the one event that could make money for them as a multi day TV spectacle.
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:00 pm

oche balboa wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:45 am the combined power of a group of things when they are working together that is greater than the total power achieved by each working separately:
Lol you remind me of my first year econ students. Good at looking up a definition. A trained ferret could do that. The real trick and what counts for credit is knowing whatt the definition means in the context. I.e. explain the salient features and characteristics that make it synergistic in the situation. That my friend is demonstration that you know what the concept really means.
We Desire Information.