The WDF Discussion Thread

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
whereisman

Re: WDF Announcement of New Ranking Criteria (So Long BDO?/Randall is a senile old tosser)

Post by whereisman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:24 pm

I don't really get the point of them running a world championship style event unless it is explicitly a world amateur championship event.

Randall
Site Admin

Re: WDF Announcement of New Ranking Criteria (So Long BDO?/Randall is a senile old tosser)

Post by Randall » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:30 pm

I'm sure they can stage a year end world event without issue.
They dont worry about tv coverage of its world cup.
It would just be what the bdo event needs to be.
An honest amateur world championship with no delusion of grandeur.
A deal with uncle barry for the winners and it kind of makes sense.

whereisman

Post by whereisman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:18 pm

Randall wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:30 pm I'm sure they can stage a year end world event without issue.
If the WDF worry about the amateur and semi-pro side and effectively become a feeder to the PDC, then that might work well. I am worried about the competency of the WDF though.

Keyz180

Post by Keyz180 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:31 pm

What happens to the BDO then? So we’re going to have three codes now ffs....getting like boxing with the governing bodies

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:31 pm

whereisman wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:18 pm
Randall wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:30 pm I'm sure they can stage a year end world event without issue.
If the WDF worry about the amateur and semi-pro side and effectively become a feeder to the PDC, then that might work well. I am worried about the competency of the WDF though.
They don't seem to do much in the way of big events, just small events all over the world, but surely they can't be any worse than the BDO?

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:38 pm

Yeah, that's the only thing that concerns me. If they've got the support from the PDC as Barry mentioned in that Live Darts interview, then it shouldn't go wrong.
Keyz180 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:31 pm What happens to the BDO then? So we’re going to have three codes now ffs....getting like boxing with the governing bodies
It dies due to Selectaitis, presumably.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

Keyz180

Post by Keyz180 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:40 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:38 pm
Keyz180 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:31 pm What happens to the BDO then? So we’re going to have three codes now ffs....getting like boxing with the governing bodies
It dies due to Selectaitis, presumably.
Surely it struggles on for another 12 months

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:47 pm

I can see most international opens dropping their BDO points soon even if the BDO doesn't go under immediately and even though the WDF have said they don't care if BDO points continue to get awarded - won't save them any money, but it does get them out of having to deal with the BDO altogether. Maybe not this season already, but the BDO calendar of ranked events could look pretty sparse come October for the new one.

whereisman

Post by whereisman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:06 pm

thegentle wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:31 pm
They don't seem to do much in the way of big events, just small events all over the world, but surely they can't be any worse than the BDO?
I suppose they could always make exactly the same mistakes as the BDO with the same officials and players around the scene.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:17 pm

If the top players in the bdo system as we speak get tour cards, play the challenge tour or choose the wdf system it dies.
It may die anyway but the only issue is going to be prize money to drag the final dinosaurs away.
As much as the prize money at the 02 was a joke it would be more tha the wdf would be throwing about you imagine

Keyz180

Post by Keyz180 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:29 pm

Randall wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:17 pm
If the top players in the bdo system as we speak get tour cards, play the challenge tour or choose the wdf system it dies.
It may die anyway but the only issue is going to be prize money to drag the final dinosaurs away.
As much as the prize money at the 02 was a joke it would be more tha the wdf would be throwing about you imagine

That’s what I thought. Even though they had the shite show that they have just held, the BDO have a brand whether you like it or not. Whereas the WDF are not as well know to the casual.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:40 pm

Some people will dread it, but it might well be up to the PDC whether any of this works. I mean, Porter et al. have no problem throwing low six-figure amounts of subsidy money at something like the Asian Tour, and I can't imagine it would take much more than that (+ some promotional work through the PDC machine) to prop up what the WDF is planning here, with the bonus that it might help finish off the BDO. Whether the PDC feel comfortable enough with the people in charge of the WDF efforts is the big question though.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:42 pm

Keyz180 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:29 pm

That’s what I thought. Even though they had the shite show that they have just held, the BDO have a brand whether you like it or not. Whereas the WDF are not as well know to the casual.
Dont think it matters to the casual fan.
The bdo is likely to die.
The wdf or someone else, maybe baz under the umbrella of the wdf or whoever will take over the running of the amateur game and the wdf will put on an amateur world championship.
Any remaining "pro's" from the bdo world would have tough decisions to make in this new reality.
Would "pro's" be allowed to play at a wdf sanctioned amateur championship?

Keyz180

Post by Keyz180 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Randall wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:42 pm
Keyz180 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:29 pm

Dont think it matters to the casual fan.
The bdo is likely to die.
The wdf or someone else, maybe baz under the umbrella of the wdf or whoever will take over the running of the amateur game and the wdf will put on an amateur world championship.
Any remaining "pro's" from the bdo world would have tough decisions to make in this new reality.
Would "pro's" be allowed to play at a wdf sanctioned amateur championship?
In boxing they are letting pros back into the olympics to fight as amateurs so maybe WDF do that to build a ‘profile.’ Then it up to the player to decide to go where they feel they can make the most money.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 pm

Zeyes wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:19 pm On the actual topic, I'm still of the mind that a Lakeside-style championship is completely surplus to requirements for the WDF. They should just focus on doing the World Masters well and give world championship status to that. But that would require some out of the box thinking rather than just trying to continue the status quo under different ownership...

I'm also relatively skeptical that they'll actually be able to pull off the staging of these major events in 2020 already without making a hash of it.
It's not really a World Championship they are proposing. Its a WDF Championship. PDC are involved in this and i heard that there is money being given.

They have stated that 2020 is a Transitional year, Which is a good thing,

WDF Championship involves all winners of their 12 big opens ( A bit of a mistake but decent for players who cant tour) and the top 2 from each of the regional Tables (The Days of England/Lowlands dominating are over) , "World Masters" is the Semi finalists of the Gold Events & Finalists of the others (This would be a big event)

Would be interested to see what other events they will implement
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:44 pm

As for the BDO, They can still run their own events. They still on this day have the Eurosport deal to finish. But obviously they cant host a world championship so will need to rebrand their events. I suspect Jacklin will not let the WDF muscle in but he has to come up with the good pretty quickly

He wont because he is a liar

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:00 am

oche balboa wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 pm
Zeyes wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:19 pm On the actual topic, I'm still of the mind that a Lakeside-style championship is completely surplus to requirements for the WDF. They should just focus on doing the World Masters well and give world championship status to that. But that would require some out of the box thinking rather than just trying to continue the status quo under different ownership...

I'm also relatively skeptical that they'll actually be able to pull off the staging of these major events in 2020 already without making a hash of it.
It's not really a World Championship they are proposing. Its a WDF Championship. PDC are involved in this and i heard that there is money being given.

WDF Championship involves all winners of their 12 big opens ( A bit of a mistake but decent for players who cant tour) and the top 2 from each of the regional Tables (The Days of England/Lowlands dominating are over) , "World Masters" is the Semi finalists of the Gold Events & Finalists of the others (This would be a big event)
The names they're going to put on the events or which players they invite don't really matter, IMHO. It's that the Championship-style event won't be sufficiently different from the latter stages of the Masters-style event. Running multiple big events is fine when there's a demand for it, but the WDF will have their hands full making even one of them viable.

Not to mention that they risk leaving behind the World Cup by focusing their efforts on these new projects, and that's arguably the event that's most important to the WDF's membership organisations (rather than individual players).

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:05 am

Zeyes wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:00 am
oche balboa wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 pm

The names they're going to put on the events or which players they invite don't really matter, IMHO. It's that the Championship-style event won't be sufficiently different from the latter stages of the Masters-style event. Running multiple big events is fine when there's a demand for it, but the WDF will have their hands full making even one of them viable.

Not to mention that they risk leaving behind the World Cup by focusing their efforts on these new projects, and that's arguably the event that's most important to the WDF's membership organisations (rather than individual players).
I don' t think they are leaving behind the world cup some how

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:50 am

Think that WDF biting off more than they can chew. Of course if all these events to be played in the back room of a pub, then fine. But then what is the point of doing them. Just get one major event up and running and commercially viable and spruce up the image of the world cup. Those 2 things in themselves are alot of work for the first 2 years.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:40 pm

WDF rankings. Kenny 1, Harms 2. Thats nice

So Darren Herewini effectively #1 on what looks like a Q-School merit table with added FcLoyalty.

Zero points awarded for those unsanctioned, unofficial, rogue and frankly dangerous BDO events of course.

https://www.dartswdf.com/tables/wdf-mens-rankings/
not a girl