2020 European Tour + European Championship (29 Oct - 1 Nov)

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Safc

Re: 2020 European Tour

Post by Safc » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:47 pm

So that's Hopp and Clemens favoured in half the tournaments and why have they kept the Associate qualifiers i will give them a bit of credit for putting all tour card holders in the same qualifier

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:23 pm

Safc wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:47 pm So that's Hopp and Clemens favoured in half the tournaments and why have they kept the Associate qualifiers i will give them a bit of credit for putting all tour card holders in the same qualifier
The Associate qualifier wasn't the worst idea in the world, it was just very badly executed with just one qualifier each Thursday before ET events most of the time. With the British and Irish Challenge Tour players (and hopefully multiple qualifiers at a time), it should at least be somewhat worthwhile

Safc

Post by Safc » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:28 pm

thegentle wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:23 pm
Safc wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:47 pm So that's Hopp and Clemens favoured in half the tournaments and why have they kept the Associate qualifiers i will give them a bit of credit for putting all tour card holders in the same qualifier
The Associate qualifier wasn't the worst idea in the world, it was just very badly executed with just one qualifier each Thursday before ET events most of the time. With the British and Irish Challenge Tour players (and hopefully multiple qualifiers at a time), it should at least be somewhat worthwhile
I've missed read it thinking the Associate qualifiers were the same as last year but the fact its British and world players didn't your right that's a lot better

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:33 pm

I think the Euro Tour always had a bit too much Britain considering:
1. Britain is leaving the EU
2. The Euro Tour visited mainland Europe and not the UK.

So I'm glad they put it into one general qualifier.
Although I still think that about two thirds will be from the UK. I think it should focus more on mainland Europe, say, the Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia and Central Europe.

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:36 am

Very positive changes. I love the Euro Tour probably enjoy them more than most other darts.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:16 pm

https://pdc-nordic.tv/statement-about-t ... qualifier/
Bit of a cock-up here, by the sounds of it the Belgian event was just scheduled rather hastily, no Nordic/Baltic representation in Belgium as it clashes with one of the PDCNB weekends. I guess there'll be an extra Host Nation qualifier in that case

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:27 pm

thegentle wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:16 pm https://pdc-nordic.tv/statement-about-t ... qualifier/
Bit of a cock-up here, by the sounds of it the Belgian event was just scheduled rather hastily, no Nordic/Baltic representation in Belgium as it clashes with one of the PDCNB weekends. I guess there'll be an extra Host Nation qualifier in that case
Poor from the PDC but it really should have been pencilled in as the first tournament back in September.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

Gidra

Post by Gidra » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:50 pm

Not perfect, but better than before.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:02 pm

So is the goal to have a field diversified on origin or to have a sport where the field is determined on quality? Ok i get the reality is they want both but i think this is too far weighted in the wrong direction at the expense of quality.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:14 pm

cannibal wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:02 pm So is the goal to have a field diversified on origin or to have a sport where the field is determined on quality? Ok i get the reality is they want both but i think this is too far weighted in the wrong direction at the expense of quality.
Really? You have the top 16 on the OOM and another 24 tour card holders making up 40/48 entrants.

For the German events the top two ranked will always be quality. The home nations qualifiers provided some of the best moments of the ET this year with games from Laursen, Sedlacek and gave us a first glimpse at Adam Gawlas who looks like he could do big things.

Associate and Nordic and Baltic and Eastern qualifiers is the route that found the likes of Suljovic, Ratajski, Labanauskas dipping their toes into the PDC water.

I think it's as close to perfect as you would want, you don't actually want perfect if your idea of perfect is the best players possible only. I mean in football World Cup there are a lot of European teams don't qualify that are much better than some African, Asian or Oceanic teams but the WC would be shit if those sides were left out because Slovenia/Macedonia are better than them.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:26 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:14 pm
cannibal wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:02 pm So is the goal to have a field diversified on origin or to have a sport where the field is determined on quality? Ok i get the reality is they want both but i think this is too far weighted in the wrong direction at the expense of quality.
Really? You have the top 16 on the OOM and another 24 tour card holders making up 40/48 entrants.

For the German events the top two ranked will always be quality. The home nations qualifiers provided some of the best moments of the ET this year with games from Laursen, Sedlacek and gave us a first glimpse at Adam Gawlas who looks like he could do big things.

Associate and Nordic and Baltic and Eastern qualifiers is the route that found the likes of Suljovic, Ratajski, Labanauskas dipping their toes into the PDC water.

I think it's as close to perfect as you would want, you don't actually want perfect if your idea of perfect is the best players possible only. I mean in football World Cup there are a lot of European teams don't qualify that are much better than some African, Asian or Oceanic teams but the WC would be shit if those sides were left out because Slovenia/Macedonia are better than them.
Don't think Macedonia (or North Macedonia if you want to get technical about it) would have been any better than anyone at the World Cup, but I digress!

This will certainly lead to stronger fields than last year, where some proper oddities made it through the Host Nation qualifiers. Biggest gripe is that it will overwhelmingly benefit Hopp and Clemens ('coincidentally' right after neither of them made the Euros in Germany), this would be a great move if it gave everyone the same opportunity

Safc

Post by Safc » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:52 pm

thegentle wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:26 pm

Don't think Macedonia (or North Macedonia if you want to get technical about it) would have been any better than anyone at the World Cup, but I digress!

This will certainly lead to stronger fields than last year, where some proper oddities made it through the Host Nation qualifiers. Biggest gripe is that it will overwhelmingly benefit Hopp and Clemens ('coincidentally' right after neither of them made the Euros in Germany), this would be a great move if it gave everyone the same opportunity
This is spot on

Hopp and Clemens guaranteed 7 grand straight away on the ET oom for me this is terrible decision

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Safc wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:52 pmHopp and Clemens guaranteed 7 grand straight away on the ET oom for me this is terrible decision
No, there's no automatic ranking money for the Top 2 ranked Host Nation players. They will have to win their first round match on the Friday for their money to count on their ranking.
not a girl

Safc

Post by Safc » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:15 pm

Rogg wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:04 pm
Safc wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:52 pmHopp and Clemens guaranteed 7 grand straight away on the ET oom for me this is terrible decision
No, there's no automatic ranking money for the Top 2 ranked Host Nation players. They will have to win their first round match on the Friday for their money to count on their ranking.
Ah right

Still think it's been biased towards them

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:37 pm

Safc wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:15 pm
Rogg wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:04 pm
Ah right

Still think it's been biased towards them
I thought the atmosphere at the German events dropped last year when most of the time at least 7 of the home nations players were dumped out on the Friday so it's a sacrifice i'm okay with.

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:40 pm

thegentle wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:26 pm

And don't underestimate the power of Goran Pandev!! lol

BeppeBergomi

Post by BeppeBergomi » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:40 am

Safc wrote:Still cant see why they cant have 1 in each country to be fair to everyone

Germany
Austria
Netherlands
Belgium
Gibraltar
Spain
Czech
Denmark
Sweden
Finland
Russia
Hungary
Poland
+1

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BeppeBergomi

Post by BeppeBergomi » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:40 am

M H wrote:No reason not to have one in the UK
There are the majors in the UK...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:52 pm

look I get you johnny foreigners want to root for your own johnny foreigner and want the PDC to give some kind of legitimacy to your local shit pub player so you can have 5 seconds of wanking off. End of the day the vast majority of them have no chance of doing anything beyond the first round and most go out then and are more than happy just to be there. The reality is those players in the home nation qualifiers aren't going to achieve pro standards by playing in a few ET's and rocking up to a few qualifiers. Going to Qschool and playing week in and week out against better players is the way for these players to improve and determine if they have what it takes. fuck off to watch the BDO streams of your local piss up if you want to see your useless local hero. PDC is about pro sport and the best of the best should be there regardless of origin. Save that flag waving bullshit for the world cup a useless event for darts. Of course diversity and opportunity are great for darts but they need to be quality players and the way to find them is putting them thru the paces of the pro tour like everyone else. otherwise your just giving them shit for the sake of giving them shit. Most of you cry like bitches when a woman or a black man is given a spot in the comms because to you it appears they got the job for PC reasons. But when your favored johnny foreigner gets a spot for no reason other than diversity all of a sudden it is o.k.

It is good to see the reduction of HNQ and a unified field for tour card holders. But giving two spots for players just because they are from the country hosting the event while everyone else has to actually compete and prove they are worthy to be there is unfair. At least when they played in the HN qualifiers they qualified all though in a lesser quality group, they still had to fucking work for it.

If the PDC wants to have a truly professional sport they need to stop screwing the people in the ranks that are working their asses off to try to make a living by getting the tour card and getting ranking points to get to bigger events. It is about getting a pay check and feeding yourself, family and manager. You want to invite players to events based on their origins or the flag they drape themselves in then do it in non ranking events like the world series and world cup.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:54 pm

vizIIsto wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:49 am Not me. I don't really understand much why they even went to Hungary in the first place and not some other country.

Because of this: (Budapest Darts Gala)

We've already shown that we deserve an ET event.