Premier League 2020

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
JH01

Re: Premier League 2020

Post by JH01 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 am

I can see Wade maybe being picked ahead of Gurney. The other 9 players you have said I think are basically guaranteed, providing no-one else wins one of the remaining TV events.

BeppeBergomi

Post by BeppeBergomi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am

thegentle wrote:Still lots to play for. This time last year, Gurney hadn't yet won the Players Championship and wasn't even at the Grand Slam, so (God help us!) Whitlock was probably in pole position for a spot. I will say that it's looking nowhere near as depressing this time around
But was in top 4 remember. Top 4 are automatically qualified for the Premier League.....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:34 pm

BeppeBergomi wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
thegentle wrote:Still lots to play for. This time last year, Gurney hadn't yet won the Players Championship and wasn't even at the Grand Slam, so (God help us!) Whitlock was probably in pole position for a spot. I will say that it's looking nowhere near as depressing this time around
But was in top 4 remember. Top 4 are automatically qualified for the Premier League.....

No, he was outside the top 4 going into the Players Championship, got back in as a result of winning it and then fell out again after a poor Worlds. Would have been no guarantee that he would have been picked had he not won the Players

BeppeBergomi

Post by BeppeBergomi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:46 pm

You're right. It was the time that Gary and Gurney used to meet frequently in the quarters as 4 and 5 since Dufus had still the UK Open money hence him being at 3.

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Beppe's ten is spot on and almost nailed i would say unless someone outside of it either wins the Players or makes the final of the Worlds. If they're going with ten that is.....

MVG 100%
Cross 100%
Price 100%
Smith 100%
Gurney 100%
Wright 100%
Aspinall 100%
Anderson 90%
Chisnall 90%
Durrant 80%

If it was say Keegan Brown who had won the UK Open and a World Series and had the same results in tv tournaments since I don't think he'd be 100% like Aspinall is but the eyetest for him is good usually takes a good performance to beat him and he has the "new breed" thing going for him.

Possible curveball that Anderson gets hammered by Price tonight, gets fed up being away from home for his 2 weeks of exhibitions before the Worlds, gets dumped out early and decides to fuck the whole thing off.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Agree with Beppe.

“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Ah here the thread is. I must've missed it.

Depending on what happens at the Worlds, this would be my 10 picks:
Shrek van Hulk
Rob X
Der Price ist heiß
Tubbyboy

The Falling Back Down Scotsman
Supershit
Snakeshite
Chiznit
The Ass
Middlesbrough is currently third last in Championship

All the others either haven't impressed on TV or aren't good enough anymore to be in PL.

TheGoose

Post by TheGoose » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:27 pm

MVG
Cross
Price
Smith
Wright
Anderson
Chisnall
Wade
Aspinall

Perhaps Gurney?

Just anyone think they might go with 9 intentionally this time around? try to create more moments like the Hendo one this year?

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm

TheGoose wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:27 pm MVG
Cross
Price
Smith
Wright
Anderson
Chisnall
Wade
Aspinall

Perhaps Gurney?

Just anyone think they might go with 9 intentionally this time around? try to create more moments like the Hendo one this year?
If they're gonna cut one from your list it's Wade. Besides reaching the semi's of the PL of this year he hasn't really shone to the occasion anywhere but the Players Championships.
I could be wrong though.
9 contestants actually seems very likely looking how the PDC mentioned that they were going to do a similar structure to last year earlier this year.

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:07 pm

I think they should give the Premier League a makeover and add more players. Here's my idea of how to be able to work this out:

16 Players participate. This shouldn't be a problem since there are already 15 game weeks. I think more players will also make it more exciting, since it becomes more like an actual league. Draws are also easier to make because of 1-2 means 13-14 and 9-10, and 1-5 means 3-7 and 12-16. They play each other once.
8 matches per week might be a bit too much with the current best-of-12. That's why I propose a best-of-10. The first match also starts at 6:30 p.m. so it should end before midnight.
No Judgement Night because of this. Of course the suspense of a mid-tournament Judgement Night was always fun, but it also meant that some spectators who booked tickets for a Phase 2-round might not have seen their favorite player (for example in 2015, when people from Scottish Aberdeen didn't get to see Peter Wright - even though he's only half Scot)
At the end of a 'season', the top 8 will advance to the quarter-finals. There will be an afternoon and an evening session even though it's Thursday. I guess we could also do the QF's on a Wednesday and the remainder on Thursday just like how there's two rounds in one week in Rotterdam in the current fixtures. These 8 players will also automatically return in next year's PL, even when they had a horrible season in other tournaments that year. The winner is the winner of the Premier League, easy as that.
The bottom 8 will not automatically return, nor automatically relegate. A tournament replacing The Masters will decide the remaining 8 participants in the following setup:
Numbers 9 through 16 will each play one match of best-of-19 (with extension if needed, like in World Matchplay) against 8 selected players that weren't in the Premier League the previous season. These 8 players will be selected after the World Championship.
Saturday will see four matches and Sunday will see four matches. Whoever wins their match will grab a spot in the Premier League.
This means that if you don't end up in the top half of the Premier League in a season, your future in the Premier League hangs by a tiny thread of one single match. It also means that the selected players only need to win one single match in order to get to play in the Premier League that year. I think this would be a great solution to the irrelevance called The Masters.

Leave your comments if you have them.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 pm

16 is far too many, all you'd have is a bunch of Wattimenas or Claytons who would straggle along all year, in fact even 10 is arguably too much. Also, first to 7 is short enough, first to 5 would be absolutely tinpot for supposedly one of the big ones

BeppeBergomi

Post by BeppeBergomi » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:38 pm

vizIIsto wrote:I think they should give the Premier League a makeover and add more players. Here's my idea of how to be able to work this out:

16 Players participate. This shouldn't be a problem since there are already 15 game weeks. I think more players will also make it more exciting, since it becomes more like an actual league. Draws are also easier to make because of 1-2 means 13-14 and 9-10, and 1-5 means 3-7 and 12-16. They play each other once.
8 matches per week might be a bit too much with the current best-of-12. That's why I propose a best-of-10. The first match also starts at 6:30 p.m. so it should end before midnight.
No Judgement Night because of this. Of course the suspense of a mid-tournament Judgement Night was always fun, but it also meant that some spectators who booked tickets for a Phase 2-round might not have seen their favorite player (for example in 2015, when people from Scottish Aberdeen didn't get to see Peter Wright - even though he's only half Scot)
At the end of a 'season', the top 8 will advance to the quarter-finals. There will be an afternoon and an evening session even though it's Thursday. I guess we could also do the QF's on a Wednesday and the remainder on Thursday just like how there's two rounds in one week in Rotterdam in the current fixtures. These 8 players will also automatically return in next year's PL, even when they had a horrible season in other tournaments that year. The winner is the winner of the Premier League, easy as that.
The bottom 8 will not automatically return, nor automatically relegate. A tournament replacing The Masters will decide the remaining 8 participants in the following setup:
Numbers 9 through 16 will each play one match of best-of-19 (with extension if needed, like in World Matchplay) against 8 selected players that weren't in the Premier League the previous season. These 8 players will be selected after the World Championship.
Saturday will see four matches and Sunday will see four matches. Whoever wins their match will grab a spot in the Premier League.
This means that if you don't end up in the top half of the Premier League in a season, your future in the Premier League hangs by a tiny thread of one single match. It also means that the selected players only need to win one single match in order to get to play in the Premier League that year. I think this would be a great solution to the irrelevance called The Masters.

Leave your comments if you have them.
With all due respect but your idea is not viable.

The 2013-18 format is fine.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:49 pm

thegentle wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 pm 16 is far too many, all you'd have is a bunch of Wattimenas or Claytons who would straggle along all year, in fact even 10 is arguably too much. Also, first to 7 is short enough, first to 5 would be absolutely tinpot for supposedly one of the big ones
Exactly, even with 10 players there are usually 1 or 2 that can't keep up with the rest. And it wouldn't be too much of a "premier" league with 8 short games a night and full of average players. I could go on and on about what's wrong with the idea apart from those but I'd end up writing half a page so I won't. Let's just say, nope, it won't and shouldn't happen.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Orange

Post by Orange » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Do we get 9 British players and 1 Dutchman? Would not be smart from the PDC in terms of marketing the sport.

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:41 am

I think they have decided to go again with only 9 players and the contenders. During the Grand Slam when they put the PL dates and venues along the bottom of the screen it said in brackets "judgement night" after the first of the two Rotterdam dates which will be the 8th set of fixtures so that must mean only 9 players.

edit : not sure. https://www.pdc.tv/news/2019/09/09/2020 ... -confirmed it says here judgment night is the second Rotterdam night which would have to mean there are ten players but the Grand Slam is a lot more recent than the date that link was posted.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:24 am

SuperSwede wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:41 am I think they have decided to go again with only 9 players and the contenders. During the Grand Slam when they put the PL dates and venues along the bottom of the screen it said in brackets "judgement night" after the first of the two Rotterdam dates which will be the 8th set of fixtures so that must mean only 9 players.

edit : not sure. https://www.pdc.tv/news/2019/09/09/2020 ... -confirmed it says here judgment night is the second Rotterdam night which would have to mean there are ten players but the Grand Slam is a lot more recent than the date that link was posted.
Judgement Night would be Night 9 regardless of whether they have 9 or 10 players, assuming the same format as this year where everyone plays a contender once.

I think they will go back to 10 players for the first 9 weeks, and work the contenders into the 2nd half of the season somehow for next year.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:25 pm

Captain Hobo wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:24 am
SuperSwede wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:41 am I think they have decided to go again with only 9 players and the contenders. During the Grand Slam when they put the PL dates and venues along the bottom of the screen it said in brackets "judgement night" after the first of the two Rotterdam dates which will be the 8th set of fixtures so that must mean only 9 players.

Judgement Night would be Night 9 regardless of whether they have 9 or 10 players, assuming the same format as this year where everyone plays a contender once.

I think they will go back to 10 players for the first 9 weeks, and work the contenders into the 2nd half of the season somehow for next year.
D'oh you're right of course lol. I hope they announce the format in advance of the Worlds.

BeppeBergomi

Post by BeppeBergomi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Most likely you'd have to wait for the usual Uncle Barry announcement after the World Championship final.

Gunga Din

Post by Gunga Din » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:52 pm

they could go with 12 with 2 "contenders" i suppose. the current top 9 plus Durrant, and then 2 guest players each week. Unless someone out of the blue wins the players, or Lewis goes deep in the worlds can i see that changing

fandarts

Post by fandarts » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:19 pm

question for ginge, looking for tickets for the cardiff dates when announced, can you point me in the way of sales? is demand high? do you have to act fast?
Justin Credible wrote:all jail the pdc

LAUGHING AT THE PDC SINCE 1993