2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Chat and Gossip About Professional and Ever More Farcical BDO Darts
Post Reply
User avatar
StevieBoy
Posts: 4145
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:49 am
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by StevieBoy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:34 pm

For me the BDO shouldn't be anywhere near this event and the quicker they're fucked off the better. Having said that the criteria states they have 8 spots, the fault lies with the BDO of how they fill them places. The Lakeshite champion should be there but If he turns up via the BDO does his prize money go on his rankings? As a PDC player he and 127 others can do what Jamie Hughes has done and won event away from the floor. Unfortunatly a floor event wasn't good enough this year to qualify. This Incident is no worse than what happened to Krzysztof Ratajaski which was still bloody petty!

User avatar
The Ginge Reaper
Posts: 27649
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:09 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:35 pm

StevieBoy wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:34 pm
For me the BDO shouldn't be anywhere near this event and the quicker they're fucked off the better. Having said that the criteria states they have 8 spots, the fault lies with the BDO of how they fill them places. The Lakeshite champion should be there but If he turns up via the BDO does his prize money go on his rankings? As a PDC player he and 127 others can do what Jamie Hughes has done and won event away from the floor. Unfortunatly a floor event wasn't good enough this year to qualify. This Incident is no worse than what happened to Krzysztof Ratajaski which was still bloody petty!
No, the fault lies with the PDC for giving the BDO free choice, which means tournament winners are potentially not picked. The Ratty one wasnt as bad as he ended up qualifying anyway didnt he? So the PDC got away with it that year.

Quite simple really, give them 8 spots but say those 3 have to include the Lakey, Masters and WDT winner, and the female Lakey winner if you must, and they can do as they please with the others. Its not rocket science ffs. Or, fuck them off totally.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

User avatar
Randall
Moderator
Posts: 80703
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by Randall » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:38 pm

Door b for me.
Image

User avatar
Emulsfier
Posts: 1542
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:08 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by Emulsfier » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:39 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:35 pm
StevieBoy wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:34 pm
For me the BDO shouldn't be anywhere near this event and the quicker they're fucked off the better. Having said that the criteria states they have 8 spots, the fault lies with the BDO of how they fill them places. The Lakeshite champion should be there but If he turns up via the BDO does his prize money go on his rankings? As a PDC player he and 127 others can do what Jamie Hughes has done and won event away from the floor. Unfortunatly a floor event wasn't good enough this year to qualify. This Incident is no worse than what happened to Krzysztof Ratajaski which was still bloody petty!
No, the fault lies with the PDC for giving the BDO free choice, which means tournament winners are not picked. The Ratty one wasnt as bad as he ended up qualifying anyway didnt he? So the PDC got away with it that year.
Fault lies with the PDC for not binning the BDO years ago, but I suppose that's just stating the obvious. Why Hearn doesn't make every effort to sink the BDO for good is beyond me.
Founder and sole member of the church of Jose de Sousa.

Boring Brendas number one and only fan.

User avatar
JH01
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by JH01 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:41 pm

Surely the time has come to disinvite the BDO. It was a good idea when the tournament started out, but now it's just silly. They haven't had anything to offer other than 1 or 2 players for years. All ProTour winners should be in, then fill left-over places (if any) with a qualifier. Shouldn't have a set number for the qualifiers.

User avatar
The Thorn
Posts: 10424
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:43 pm

The fault lies with the PDC. That is pretty clear. It's their event, they are the ones making up the criteria.

The Ratajski case was as outrageous as this. He ended up qualifying yes, but the logic behind that was equally fucked up.

I said it earlier, if Durrant can't qualify through the PDC, he shouldn't get the money on his ranking. But regardless he deserves his place in the event.

I don't agree with totally scrapping the BDO places however I see why many people think so. I'd say reduce their places to 4 or 5. But as long there is at least one single player in the Grand Slam through the BDO route, the Lakeshite champion has to be there. No question about that.

User avatar
StevieBoy
Posts: 4145
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:49 am
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by StevieBoy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:56 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:35 pm
StevieBoy wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:34 pm
For me the BDO shouldn't be anywhere near this event and the quicker they're fucked off the better. Having said that the criteria states they have 8 spots, the fault lies with the BDO of how they fill them places. The Lakeshite champion should be there but If he turns up via the BDO does his prize money go on his rankings? As a PDC player he and 127 others can do what Jamie Hughes has done and won event away from the floor. Unfortunatly a floor event wasn't good enough this year to qualify. This Incident is no worse than what happened to Krzysztof Ratajaski which was still bloody petty!
No, the fault lies with the PDC for giving the BDO free choice, which means tournament winners are potentially not picked. The Ratty one wasnt as bad as he ended up qualifying anyway didnt he? So the PDC got away with it that year.

Quite simple really, give them 8 spots but say those 3 have to include the Lakey, Masters and WDT winner, and the female Lakey winner if you must, and they can do as they please with the others. Its not rocket science ffs. Or, fuck them off totally.
Look I don't disagree with what you say. Maybe this could be an excuse to stop the charade of the BDO's representation. With hind sight the BDO having 8 places to do with what they want is not the right thing. If the BDO wont allow Durrant to play as the Lakeshite winner. Then withdraw their invite, which would make me happy!

User avatar
The Ginge Reaper
Posts: 27649
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:09 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:58 pm

Dont get me wrong, I dont blame the BDO one bit for not picking him, he fucked them off. But that situation should never have been allowed to manifest itself.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

User avatar
M H
Site Admin
Posts: 74611
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:24 am
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by M H » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Bunting fucked off and was included, Hankey the same. This is entirely in the hands of the PDC but I would prefer they fuck the BDO off completely
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

User avatar
The Thorn
Posts: 10424
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:37 pm

M H wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:33 pm
Bunting fucked off and was included, Hankey the same. This is entirely in the hands of the PDC but I would prefer they fuck the BDO off completely
Was under a different qualifying criteria. From 2015 onwards the BDO has 8 fix places. There wasn't a set number before.

User avatar
thegentle
Posts: 6014
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 am
Location: Watford
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by thegentle » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:34 pm

The Thorn wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:37 pm
M H wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:33 pm
Bunting fucked off and was included, Hankey the same. This is entirely in the hands of the PDC but I would prefer they fuck the BDO off completely
Was under a different qualifying criteria. From 2015 onwards the BDO has 8 fix places. There wasn't a set number before.
Indeed, and it's a ranking event now so that muddies the waters further, if Duzza is included, will his money go n the Order of Merit?
'Orns

User avatar
thegentle
Posts: 6014
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 am
Location: Watford
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by thegentle » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:39 pm

To paraphrase good ol' Olly Croft, Barry doesn't owe the BDO players a living. You want the PDC coin, go to Q-School, there's nothing stopping you if you're serious about darts. I completely understand if a BDO player doesn't want to take the plunge and become a full-time pro, but why should the PDC placate a bunch of British and Dutch players when they could potentially use the Grand Slam to give a platform to a future star from overseas?
'Orns

User avatar
The Thorn
Posts: 10424
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:45 pm

It's not a question of right and wrong I think. As long as the public is more interested in the BDO players than the internationals, Barry will continue to include them. And while many here don't think that way, I'd bet the general public, the majority of the TV audience still does.

I don't see them just scrapping all 8 BDO places at once. The players on offer are worse and worse every year, but nothing happened really that would justify such a drastic change.

User avatar
StevieBoy
Posts: 4145
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:49 am
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by StevieBoy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:10 pm

Are the 'public' really interested in the BDO players, any casual fans from Lakeshite BBC era are long gone. Top 10 BDO players are not exactly a who's who of Darts anymore, I think the only people who want to see them are the BDO fans. I'd rather see players from overseas from the affiliated tours. Like the N. American championship winner, Oceanic winner etc than watching Mitchell mincing round Wolverhampton again!

User avatar
Safc
Posts: 2517
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:36 pm
Location: North East
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by Safc » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Why not scrap the 8 bdo spots have every winner and runner up of the TV tournaments like it is now every euro tour winner and every pro tour winner and if there is any spots left have a floor qualifier where anybody can enter which gives the bdo players still a chance of qualifying
"Yes he has done it !!! Dimiri van den Bergh has lost to another jobber"

User avatar
The Thorn
Posts: 10424
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:28 pm

StevieBoy wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:10 pm
Are the 'public' really interested in the BDO players, any casual fans from Lakeshite BBC era are long gone. Top 10 BDO players are not exactly a who's who of Darts anymore, I think the only people who want to see them are the BDO fans. I'd rather see players from overseas from the affiliated tours. Like the N. American championship winner, Oceanic winner etc than watching Mitchell mincing round Wolverhampton again!
If the question is, who the public wants to see more, the BDO players or the internationals, I'm going for the former. Apart from Asada and Lim probably, there is no one the public would be interested in really. And I wouldn't even mention Asada if it wasn't for his great display at the world cup.

I get your opinion, and I know most on the forum will agree. We are "hardcore fans" here, but the usual viewer wouldn't have too much clue about the international guys. I know the BDO field isn't any more star studded either, but the cross code element is still somewhat of a draw.

This is the unique element of this tournament. That's why I'd rather scrap the floor qualifiers than the BDO guys. A few gems can be found every year from the 8 qualifying spot, but most are turds. And those turds get chances in pretty much every other PDC event. I'm not saying the BDO players really "deserve" it. I am talking from a commercial perspective.

I think the Grand Slam is first and foremost a tournament to reward the winner of every darts event that has at least a little bit of significance, and some finalists too. That's why my personal opinion is, I could see the BDO spots reduced to 4. Include the Lakeshite finalists, Masters and Trophy winners. If any of them fucked off to the PDC, like Durrant has, include the womens world champ too for all I care. But I'd much rather watch at least these 4 than the random Boultons and Pipes who scrape through in the Barnsley Metrodome.

User avatar
Randall
Moderator
Posts: 80703
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by Randall » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:39 pm

It's a tournament for winners so it's simple.
Winners get in be it euro, players champs etc scrap the playoffs.
In the bdo its worlds mens and women, masters and the other one if it goes ahead.
Not complicated yet the pdc get it utterly wrong.
Image

User avatar
Safc
Posts: 2517
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:36 pm
Location: North East
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by Safc » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:39 pm

The Thorn wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:28 pm
StevieBoy wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:10 pm
Are the 'public' really interested in the BDO players, any casual fans from Lakeshite BBC era are long gone. Top 10 BDO players are not exactly a who's who of Darts anymore, I think the only people who want to see them are the BDO fans. I'd rather see players from overseas from the affiliated tours. Like the N. American championship winner, Oceanic winner etc than watching Mitchell mincing round Wolverhampton again!
If the question is, who the public wants to see more, the BDO players or the internationals, I'm going for the former. Apart from Asada and Lim probably, there is no one the public would be interested in really. And I wouldn't even mention Asada if it wasn't for his great display at the world cup.

I get your opinion, and I know most on the forum will agree. We are "hardcore fans" here, but the usual viewer wouldn't have too much clue about the international guys. I know the BDO field isn't any more star studded either, but the cross code element is still somewhat of a draw.

This is the unique element of this tournament. That's why I'd rather scrap the floor qualifiers than the BDO guys. A few gems can be found every year from the 8 qualifying spot, but most are turds. And those turds get chances in pretty much every other PDC event. I'm not saying the BDO players really "deserve" it. I am talking from a commercial perspective.

I think the Grand Slam is first and foremost a tournament to reward the winner of every darts event that has at least a little bit of significance, and some finalists too. That's why my personal opinion is, I could see the BDO spots reduced to 4. Include the Lakeshite finalists, Masters and Trophy winners. If any of them fucked off to the PDC, like Durrant has, include the womens world champ too for all I care. But I'd much rather watch at least these 4 than the random Boultons and Pipes who scrape through in the Barnsley Metrodome.
I agree tbh
"Yes he has done it !!! Dimiri van den Bergh has lost to another jobber"

User avatar
sennafan24
Moderator
Posts: 10941
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:44 pm

M H wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:33 pm
This is entirely in the hands of the PDC but I would prefer they fuck the BDO off completely
Nah, the meltdowns and excuses from the mushrooms are comedy gold.

"Excellent record"

"Change the board"

"Ross was unlucky"

Etc
"nature v nuture , kid is surrounded by pricks you end up being one" Fandarts on Leighton Bennett

User avatar
JH01
Posts: 800
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by JH01 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:44 pm

The Thorn wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:28 pm
StevieBoy wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:10 pm
Are the 'public' really interested in the BDO players, any casual fans from Lakeshite BBC era are long gone. Top 10 BDO players are not exactly a who's who of Darts anymore, I think the only people who want to see them are the BDO fans. I'd rather see players from overseas from the affiliated tours. Like the N. American championship winner, Oceanic winner etc than watching Mitchell mincing round Wolverhampton again!
If the question is, who the public wants to see more, the BDO players or the internationals, I'm going for the former. Apart from Asada and Lim probably, there is no one the public would be interested in really. And I wouldn't even mention Asada if it wasn't for his great display at the world cup.

I get your opinion, and I know most on the forum will agree. We are "hardcore fans" here, but the usual viewer wouldn't have too much clue about the international guys. I know the BDO field isn't any more star studded either, but the cross code element is still somewhat of a draw.

This is the unique element of this tournament. That's why I'd rather scrap the floor qualifiers than the BDO guys. A few gems can be found every year from the 8 qualifying spot, but most are turds. And those turds get chances in pretty much every other PDC event. I'm not saying the BDO players really "deserve" it. I am talking from a commercial perspective.

I think the Grand Slam is first and foremost a tournament to reward the winner of every darts event that has at least a little bit of significance, and some finalists too. That's why my personal opinion is, I could see the BDO spots reduced to 4. Include the Lakeshite finalists, Masters and Trophy winners. If any of them fucked off to the PDC, like Durrant has, include the womens world champ too for all I care. But I'd much rather watch at least these 4 than the random Boultons and Pipes who scrape through in the Barnsley Metrodome.
Don't think a typical viewer will have too much of a clue about the BDO players either. Looking at their top 8, some may only recognise Mitchell and Harms, maybe Williams and Veenstra too. I've never heard of the bloke at 7, and I'd never heard of Parletti until a few months ago. I wouldn't replace them with internationals (Didn't they have them before?), just with all ProTour winners. But I honestly doubt the public give a shit if there are BDO players, internationals or ProTour winners who make up the numbers.

Post Reply
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 21 guests