2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Randall
Site Admin

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by Randall » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:39 pm

Rogg wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:36 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:32 pm He likes to be challenged?
Sure he would be delighted to win both games 16-6 tomorrow as well.
He is incredible. Giving other players a bollocking for not playing to their potential at his own craft. Is there anyone else in 'sport' who would do that?
Taylor did it all the time.

phil the great

Post by phil the great » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 pm

He is incredible. Giving other players a bollocking for not playing to their potential at his own craft. Is there anyone else in 'sport' who would do that?
Taylor used to, would say players weren't working hard enough, possibly rarer than MVG saying it. Let's be fair at the elite level MVG and Taylor have both mastered the game and need challenges, Van Gerwen tonight was trying to get a 9 darter or a 170, very difficult to do anything without any sort of goal and stay motivated, elite sportsmen have different goals than others

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:54 pm

Praying for a Duzza victory tomorrow, he's the only one of the three left I'd even give a squeak of beating MvG, and even then it'd be a pretty minute chance

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:11 am

Anderson starting with different darts was a total cop-out cos he knew he was never winning a best of 31 with the way his game is right now, a pure Peter Wright getting the excuse in before the game even starts move.

Think you all being harsh on Lewis, overall a positive tournament for him and he is slowly getting there. That start from MVG would have blown most players away and taken the fight out of them.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:13 am

I still remember Barney making a fool of himself up in the studio after his first round game at the World's a few years ago after he averaged over 100, the first of the tournament, and he thought he was the digs bollocks saying "come on guys" etc as though he'd already won the thing.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

phil the great

Post by phil the great » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:48 am

thegentle wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:54 pm Praying for a Duzza victory tomorrow, he's the only one of the three left I'd even give a squeak of beating MvG, and even then it'd be a pretty minute chance
Yeah me too

BeppeBergomi

Post by BeppeBergomi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:05 am

thegentle wrote:Praying for a Duzza victory tomorrow, he's the only one of the three left I'd even give a squeak of beating MvG, and even then it'd be a pretty minute chance
Forget it. MvG and Dufus to play the final which as usual will be won by MvG.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Malanax

Post by Malanax » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:12 am

BeppeBergomi wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:05 am
thegentle wrote:Praying for a Duzza victory tomorrow, he's the only one of the three left I'd even give a squeak of beating MvG, and even then it'd be a pretty minute chance

Agreed nailed on. I agree with an earlier post mvg seems to be back into unbeatable class above everyone else mode. No one stopping him tomorrow.

daveboygreen

Post by daveboygreen » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:26 am

Malanax wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:12 am

Agreed nailed on. I agree with an earlier post mvg seems to be back into unbeatable class above everyone else mode. No one stopping him tomorrow.
I think everyone is missing something here in that Wright has played possibly better than he has in most tournaments so far and is in no way rattled, MVG has shown weakness against players that have been able to hold their own against him early doors in matches so in no way do I think MVG would have it all his own way against Wright, Duzza would get rolled over by MVG and its not a given that MVG will beat Price either.

Malanax

Post by Malanax » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:49 am

Aitobs wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:16 pm Only peak Taylor, Lewis or Anderson could have even given Mvg a game tonight. Imperious.

Not a big fan of his but you've gotta say Barney in that list, based on 2016 and 2017 worlds if nothing else.

JH01

Post by JH01 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:51 am

With two of his bitches still left, only Duzza stands any chance of beating van Gerwen tomorrow. And even then, the way Michael is playing at the minute, that is a longshot. Hopefully Duzza can turn him into shit like he has done to everyone he's played recently.
Last edited by JH01 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:24 am

Are people suddenly forgetting why for years everyone has kicked lumps out of the scheduling of Slam final weekend? I think the chances of anyone tearing through the final with great darts are remote. It'll be about dealing with the situation and it could be messy at times. There could be value to the day off yesterday for Duzza/Wright.

I say an MvG-Duzza final with their games meeting somewhere around the high-90s mark, much like their Matchplay sudden death fun.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:34 am

SuperSwede wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:13 am
I still remember Barney making a fool of himself up in the studio after his first round game at the World's a few years ago after he averaged over 100, the first of the tournament, and he thought he was the digs bollocks saying "come on guys" etc as though he'd already won the thing.
Yes! I'd forgotten about that. Beat Smith 3-0 with a 108 average and came out swinging. Sky loved it and the whole scenario wound Taylor right up, culminating in their semi-final where Barney just wanted a cuddle at the end and Taylor really, fucking, did not.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:45 am

Rogg wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:24 am Are people suddenly forgetting why for years everyone has kicked lumps out of the scheduling of Slam final weekend? I think the chances of anyone tearing through the final with great darts are remote. It'll be about dealing with the situation and it could be messy at times. There could be value to the day off yesterday for Duzza/Wright.

I say an MvG-Duzza final with their games meeting somewhere around the high-90s mark, much like their Matchplay sudden death fun.
This is without question the most stupid scheduling on the calendar.
They would never play the semis and finals of the worlds or match play on sundays so why they persist here is a mystery.
Always produces a sub par final, but it may level the playing field for wright/duzza.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:55 am

Randall wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:45 am
Rogg wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:24 am Are people suddenly forgetting why for years everyone has kicked lumps out of the scheduling of Slam final weekend? I think the chances of anyone tearing through the final with great darts are remote. It'll be about dealing with the situation and it could be messy at times. There could be value to the day off yesterday for Duzza/Wright.

They would never play the semis and finals of the worlds or match play on sundays so why they persist here is a mystery.
Always produces a sub par final, but it may level the playing field for wright/duzza.
I agree with all that. Maybe originally it was considered exciting/quirky, a unique challenge, something different from the Matchplay, and maybe they were right at the time.
But we're way past that now surely.
not a girl

Nigel Cheeseman-Blenkinsop

Post by Nigel Cheeseman-Blenkinsop » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:19 am

daveboygreen wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:26 am
Malanax wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:12 am

I think everyone is missing something here in that Wright has played possibly better than he has in most tournaments so far and is in no way rattled, MVG has shown weakness against players that have been able to hold their own against him early doors in matches so in no way do I think MVG would have it all his own way against Wright, Duzza would get rolled over by MVG and its not a given that MVG will beat Price either.
Good post..
If you can stay with Damage early he gets rattled and misses doubles. Easier said than done I agree. Slower players throw his rhythm a little .
Damage limitations early doors is the key.
Or a filmed ending in your favour.
My bathroom fitter is fuming coz they wont let him have one until his Win in the Worlds is what he keeps telling me but he wants to defend this one badly.
No way could he lose 17 in a row against anybody , they are building the storyline.

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:31 am

Rogg wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:55 am
Randall wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:45 am

I agree with all that. Maybe originally it was considered exciting/quirky, a unique challenge, something different from the Matchplay, and maybe they were right at the time.
But we're way past that now surely.
Having a look at the 2007 qualifying criteria for the Grand Slam, the only PDC tournaments on it where the final wasn't played on a separate day were the UK Open, the Premier League and the two US events (the US Open and the Desert Classic). It made sense then because it was a rarity.

Now you've got the Masters, UK Open, Premier League, World Cup, Euros, Champions League, World Series Finals and Players Championship Finals, with the last four of those around the same time as the Grand Slam.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

Nigel Cheeseman-Blenkinsop

Post by Nigel Cheeseman-Blenkinsop » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Talking of exhibitions, At the end of the 90's Bob Anderson turned up at my Dads club for a 'Bullsye' evening , darts and quiz , he stayed the night onsite as the club had accommodation, there was also a ventriloquist on that night in the club and he stayed over also, it was a big old place , very successful at the time and had it's own on site , handyman/ cleaner etc , this chap cleaned Anderson's car for him and took his case to the car etc , same with the other performer , Anderson said his farewells but on returning home and opening his boot he found none of his luggage just a big bag with the Ventriloquists outfit in and the dummy and a false leg.
The club sadly closed a few years ago and is now a block of houses

mad jock

Post by mad jock » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Nigel Cheeseman-Blenkinsop wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:07 pm Talking of exhibitions, At the end of the 90's Bob Anderson turned up at my Dads club for a 'Bullsye' evening , darts and quiz , he stayed the night onsite as the club had accommodation, there was also a ventriloquist on that night in the club and he stayed over also, it was a big old place , very successful at the time and had it's own on site , handyman/ cleaner etc , this chap cleaned Anderson's car for him and took his case to the car etc , same with the other performer , Anderson said his farewells but on returning home and opening his boot he found none of his luggage just a big bag with the Ventriloquists outfit in and the dummy and a false leg.
The club sadly closed a few years ago and is now a block of houses
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Rogg wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:34 am
SuperSwede wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:13 am
Yes! I'd forgotten about that. Beat Smith 3-0 with a 108 average and came out swinging. Sky loved it and the whole scenario wound Taylor right up, culminating in their semi-final where Barney just wanted a cuddle at the end and Taylor really, fucking, did not.
One day Rob Cross is going to get the same reaction.
Fuck off Stuart Pyke and John Rawling!