2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
The Thorn

Re: 2019 Grand Slam of Darts

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:53 pm

JH01 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:44 pm
The Thorn wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:28 pm
StevieBoy wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:10 pm Are the 'public' really interested in the BDO players, any casual fans from Lakeshite BBC era are long gone. Top 10 BDO players are not exactly a who's who of Darts anymore, I think the only people who want to see them are the BDO fans. I'd rather see players from overseas from the affiliated tours. Like the N. American championship winner, Oceanic winner etc than watching Mitchell mincing round Wolverhampton again!
If the question is, who the public wants to see more, the BDO players or the internationals, I'm going for the former. Apart from Asada and Lim probably, there is no one the public would be interested in really. And I wouldn't even mention Asada if it wasn't for his great display at the world cup.

I get your opinion, and I know most on the forum will agree. We are "hardcore fans" here, but the usual viewer wouldn't have too much clue about the international guys. I know the BDO field isn't any more star studded either, but the cross code element is still somewhat of a draw.

This is the unique element of this tournament. That's why I'd rather scrap the floor qualifiers than the BDO guys. A few gems can be found every year from the 8 qualifying spot, but most are turds. And those turds get chances in pretty much every other PDC event. I'm not saying the BDO players really "deserve" it. I am talking from a commercial perspective.

I think the Grand Slam is first and foremost a tournament to reward the winner of every darts event that has at least a little bit of significance, and some finalists too. That's why my personal opinion is, I could see the BDO spots reduced to 4. Include the Lakeshite finalists, Masters and Trophy winners. If any of them fucked off to the PDC, like Durrant has, include the womens world champ too for all I care. But I'd much rather watch at least these 4 than the random Boultons and Pipes who scrape through in the Barnsley Metrodome.
Don't think a typical viewer will have too much of a clue about the BDO players either. Looking at their top 8, some may only recognise Mitchell and Harms, maybe Williams and Veenstra too. I've never heard of the bloke at 7, and I'd never heard of Parletti until a few months ago. I wouldn't replace them with internationals (Didn't they have them before?), just with all ProTour winners. But I honestly doubt the public give a shit if there are BDO players, internationals or ProTour winners who make up the numbers.
Yes, I did say that. It's not that the audience knows BDO players much more. But simply because they are BDO, it has a cross code feeling to it. It's kinda a competition between the two orgs. Even if it's not a question who the winner will be. In the comms, there is a lot of talk about the BDO players usually. I doubt internationals would really get that kind of attention.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:56 pm

JH01 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:44 pm
The Thorn wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:28 pm
StevieBoy wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:10 pm Are the 'public' really interested in the BDO players, any casual fans from Lakeshite BBC era are long gone. Top 10 BDO players are not exactly a who's who of Darts anymore, I think the only people who want to see them are the BDO fans. I'd rather see players from overseas from the affiliated tours. Like the N. American championship winner, Oceanic winner etc than watching Mitchell mincing round Wolverhampton again!
If the question is, who the public wants to see more, the BDO players or the internationals, I'm going for the former. Apart from Asada and Lim probably, there is no one the public would be interested in really. And I wouldn't even mention Asada if it wasn't for his great display at the world cup.

I get your opinion, and I know most on the forum will agree. We are "hardcore fans" here, but the usual viewer wouldn't have too much clue about the international guys. I know the BDO field isn't any more star studded either, but the cross code element is still somewhat of a draw.

This is the unique element of this tournament. That's why I'd rather scrap the floor qualifiers than the BDO guys. A few gems can be found every year from the 8 qualifying spot, but most are turds. And those turds get chances in pretty much every other PDC event. I'm not saying the BDO players really "deserve" it. I am talking from a commercial perspective.

I think the Grand Slam is first and foremost a tournament to reward the winner of every darts event that has at least a little bit of significance, and some finalists too. That's why my personal opinion is, I could see the BDO spots reduced to 4. Include the Lakeshite finalists, Masters and Trophy winners. If any of them fucked off to the PDC, like Durrant has, include the womens world champ too for all I care. But I'd much rather watch at least these 4 than the random Boultons and Pipes who scrape through in the Barnsley Metrodome.
Don't think a typical viewer will have too much of a clue about the BDO players either. Looking at their top 8, some may only recognise Mitchell and Harms, maybe Williams and Veenstra too. I've never heard of the bloke at 7, and I'd never heard of Parletti until a few months ago. I wouldn't replace them with internationals (Didn't they have them before?), just with all ProTour winners. But I honestly doubt the public give a shit if there are BDO players, internationals or ProTour winners who make up the numbers.
Yes, they had international players in the first two events, before some of the current PDC televised events even existed, and long before the event became ranked and incorporated floor qualifiers

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:07 pm

Didn't Chris ' If I had a hammer' Mason appear at the one??? Now that was scraping the bottom of the barrel! lol

Pigpen

Post by Pigpen » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:29 pm

The current format should be binned off totally.
The Champions League should be the PDC only tournament for anybody that has won something, like it is in most other sports that have a Champions League.
Add some runners-up to get a reasonable number of entrants, and put it on Sky.
Have the Grand Slam as a straight PDC v BDO invitation exbo same number from each side and put that on the BBC to really annoy the mushrooms

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:49 pm

Pigpen wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:29 pm The current format should be binned off totally.
The Champions League should be the PDC only tournament for anybody that has won something, like it is in most other sports that have a Champions League.
Have the Grand Slam as a straight PDC v BDO invitation exbo same number from each side and put that on the BBC to really annoy the mushrooms
Same number from each org sounds like a total nightmare. The only way the BDO guys have a slight chance of winning a few games is for them to face the lesser PDC players.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 pm

The BDO deserve fuck all, the PDC should tell them to get fucked.
They're all here!

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:31 am

Tommo wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 pm The BDO deserve fuck all, the PDC should tell them to get fucked.
Do they even deserve that?

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:28 pm

Pigpen wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:29 pm The current format should be binned off totally.
Please behave mate.

The BBC have already fucked off the BDO, Quest may take it with a fifty fifty field. Are the BDO going to put half the funds up? Remember they put nothing up now.

As for the thought of the BDO's top sixteen anywhere near a TV camera, no
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:37 pm

I might have entertained a 50/50 field a decade ago.

But not in 2019. No chance.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:50 pm

I think matches involving BDO players should be in standard definition black and white with all the cameras pointing the wrong way.

Until then, I'd like a shot of whatever Pigpen's having.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:21 am

12 players still going in Blackpool then, some of them quite fruity.

Who still needs a Grand Slam spot? Have we a list?
not a girl

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:31 am

Rogg wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:21 am 12 players still going in Blackpool then, some of them quite fruity.

Who still needs a Grand Slam spot? Have we a list?
Mensur Whitlock Lewis and Clayton are those in the top 16 without spots (and the demolished man obviously). All the living unseeded players need help to get on the board too.
Boring Brendas number one and (almost) only fan.

Smithys number one and (definitely not) only hater.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:39 am

Thanks egg friend. Duzza could solve a complication by winning two more matches this week.
not a girl

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:38 am

Oches 2019 GSOD criteria

48 players knockout. Top 16 have byes to last 32

Qualified so far

PDC:38

Major PDC finalists (since GSOD 2018)

Michael Van Gerwen
Gary Anderson
Gerwyn Price
Nathan Aspinall
Michael Smith
Rob Cross
Daryl Gurney

Euro Tour winners not in above list

Ian White
Jamie Hughes

Players who won Pro Tour but not on first list

Glen Durrant
Dave Chisnall
James Wade
Peter Wright
Harry Ward
Krystof Ratajski
Adrian Lewis
Johnny Clayton
William O Connor
Jeffery De Zwaan

Players who won World Series Events not qualified
Players who reached semis in worlds & Matchplay: NONE

Top 6 in OOM not yet qualified

Suljovic, Whitlock, Webster, Cullen, Bunting, Beaton

Development tour Leader: Ted Events
Challenge Tour Leader: Stephen Burton

Regional Tour leaders

Asia: Lourence llagan
Baltic: Madas Razma
CDC: Darin Young
DPA: Damon Heta

Last chance qualifiers between 2 places

(5 players to fill)

BDO (not yet qualified) (10)

RUP: Scott Waites
World Trophy winner:
R/up
World masters winner
R/up

Ladies world Champ: Mikuru Suzuki.
Rankings (4): Richard Veenstra, Dave Parletti, Wes Harms, Scott Mitchell
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:46 am

What the fuck is this?
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:48 am

The problem with the GSOD isn't the format. That is fine in my opinion.

The problem is with the qualifying criteria.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:59 am

BAzza on the BDO and its Slam business on this from 4:40.

not a girl

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:14 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:48 am The problem with the GSOD isn't the format. That is fine in my opinion.

Especially considering it's a ranked event now. Invitational events should never be ranked.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

JH01

Post by JH01 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:19 pm

If I were in charge, I'd get rid of the Grand Slam, but keep the format for a merger of the Euros and Players Championship Finals. Top 32 from ProTour OOM in 8 groups of 4. The current qualifying criteria is a farce.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:24 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:14 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:48 am The problem with the GSOD isn't the format. That is fine in my opinion.

Especially considering it's a ranked event now. Invitational events should never be ranked.
Eh, there aren't any fully invitational events that directly go towards GSOD qualifying. Sure there are things like the Premier League and World Series which are at least partially based on wildcards, but at the end of the day the finals of those are gonna be full of top players anyway so if you in those you deserve the GSOD. Potentially giving 4 spots to World Cup finalists can end up massively backfiring though