2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Potter's Lake

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by Potter's Lake » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:06 am

Rogg wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:37 pm MVG misses 3 to save set 6 and Wright wins it. Last dart 80. 4-2.
In a more familiar reality, MvG hits a few more doubles, Wright doesn't get a chance to take out those 80s and 72s in three, they both end up averaging 107 and MvG wins 7-3 instead. It's just not enough to beat him, poor old Peter, how much more can he do, game of his life and he only wins three sets, didn't even get the opportunity to choke.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:04 am

The key factor is wright averaged the 103 pretty much throughout and hitting a higher % of doubles made it a "true" average.
Mvg had sets in the stratosphere and sets in the low 90s and his checkout % bought a higher scoring average down.
As we always say, consistency is all we ask for and it won the day here.

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 am

Fully deserved win for Wright and happy for him to add a world title to his criminally under padded cv. I don't like the gimmick but he is an exceptional player, was the best to never have won the big one in my opinion now he's crossed himself off that list.

Overall, I think it's clear the gap is closing all the time, both with the lesser players improving and the top guys declining slightly either due to the heavy schedule or maybe they earn enough that they sink into a comfort zone just "being" a top 10 player now means riches so the winning is less vital.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:38 am

Jimmi wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:14 pm John Part said it best at the start of the match:

"There's a point where you're so scarred, you're not afraid of getting cut anymore"
That was an amazing and apt line and coming from experience too. Part was very good this whole tournament, never really taken to him before this but him and Webster are quality.

Cinnamon Bun

Post by Cinnamon Bun » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:52 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:38 am
Jimmi wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:14 pm John Part said it best at the start of the match:

"There's a point where you're so scarred, you're not afraid of getting cut anymore"
That was an amazing and apt line and coming from experience too. Part was very good this whole tournament, never really taken to him before this but him and Webster are quality.
Webster is no where near quality. Even when Lewis was winning 3-1 against Van Den Bergh he still managed to find a way to praise Van Den Bergh and slag Lewis off
One of the many members of the "get Chris Mason off comentary" institution.

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Cinnamon Bun wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:52 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:38 am

Webster is no where near quality. Even when Lewis was winning 3-1 against Van Den Bergh he still managed to find a way to praise Van Den Bergh and slag Lewis off
I don't remember what you're referring to but having a differing opinion or view to yours doesn't mean he's not good at his job.

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:13 pm

Re: John Part

Easily the best commentator Sky have.
I do like Webster as well but would rather see him back on the stage. Hope he gets his tour card back and we see his 2011 form again.
“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:40 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 am Overall, I think it's clear the gap is closing all the time, both with the lesser players improving and the top guys declining slightly either due to the heavy schedule or maybe they earn enough that they sink into a comfort zone just "being" a top 10 player now means riches so the winning is less vital.
Think the top is experiencing a changing of the guard which I guess you could say decline. But being the optimistic fuck that I am prefer changing of the guard.

Players like Taylor Barney Gando getting older and leaving the game and replacements not found yet. Mensur was never going to be a permanent resident of the top end. Chizzy Gurney not bad on the day and that day usually the shortest of the year. Wade is wade Lewis is a mess and more interested in the local steak house. Whitlock dirtier and older than ever going backwards.

Cross looks to be the real deal so he had a shocker in the worlds move on. Aspinall looks to be the real deal as well just needs more time to learn to play at that higher level for longer. Same for Price. These are the best prospects to fill the spots vacated by top end players cycling out for whatever reason. Still very early in their careers they will develop and improve. Just a gap in the transition is all
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:49 pm

cannibal wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:40 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 am Overall, I think it's clear the gap is closing all the time, both with the lesser players improving and the top guys declining slightly either due to the heavy schedule or maybe they earn enough that they sink into a comfort zone just "being" a top 10 player now means riches so the winning is less vital.
Think the top is experiencing a changing of the guard which I guess you could say decline. But being the optimistic fuck that I am prefer changing of the guard.

Players like Taylor Barney Gando getting older and leaving the game and replacements not found yet. Mensur was never going to be a permanent resident of the top end. Chizzy Gurney not bad on the day and that day usually the shortest of the year. Wade is wade Lewis is a mess and more interested in the local steak house. Whitlock dirtier and older than ever going backwards.

Cross looks to be the real deal so he had a shocker in the worlds move on. Aspinall looks to be the real deal as well just needs more time to learn to play at that higher level for longer. Same for Price. These are the best prospects to fill the spots vacated by top end players cycling out for whatever reason. Still very early in their careers they will develop and improve. Just a gap in the transition is all
I'm a huge fan of Cross but I worry about his longevity, partly because of his action and partly because after going straight to the elite he is going to have banked big money inside his first five years that I could see him calling it a day early.

I'm not worried about the overall decline, it's mostly just down to MVG probably being distracted and being less hungry for domination and Gary getting old. I find t more enjoyable when titles are spread around and more possible winners in more events.

Wolflanternbumbag

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:53 pm

Video on twitter of MVG at Winmau HQ he’s practicing wearing skinny jeans
YORKSHIRE GRIT

Toby Tubton

Post by Toby Tubton » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Wolflanternbumbag wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:53 pm Video on twitter of MVG at Winmau HQ he’s practicing wearing skinny jeans
I read he is going on a fitness regime.

But it could be his stand in ' Billy ' that Mr Cheeseman-Blenkinsop mentioned ?
Last edited by Toby Tubton on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:02 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:49 pm

I'm a huge fan of Cross but I worry about his longevity, partly because of his action and partly because after going straight to the elite he is going to have banked big money inside his first five years that I could see him calling it a day early.

I'm not worried about the overall decline, it's mostly just down to MVG probably being distracted and being less hungry for domination and Gary getting old. I find t more enjoyable when titles are spread around and more possible winners in more events.
Agreed re his throwing action. Still, for most of last season it held up pretty well, I wonder if the thought of losing that huge £400k from Ally Pally two years ago was playing on his mind? Won two TV events last year, but doesn't have anything like that pressure to defend money now

I'm also not overly pushed about the 'decline' at the top level. Sure, we're a bit weaker now than before, but MvG is also not going to be firing every tournament, he might absolutely annihilate everyone, he might win some playing in second gear, but there are enough players out there who can beat him if he's not quite at 100%. I expect to see some of the younger players join Aspinall in the top 10 very soon too, they're already queuing up to gatecrash the top 16

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:27 pm

https://sportcal.com/News/Search/129329
Sport1, the German sports broadcaster, attracted its second largest darts audience last night, as Peter Wright shocked three-time world champion, and world number one Michael van Gerwen in the final of the PDC World Championship final.

The match, which Wright (pictured) won 7-3, drew an average audience of 1.59 million, and a peak of 2.22 million, for Sport1, as the Scotsman secured his first world title.

The total market share was 4.5 per cent, and up a 8.9 per cent in the target group of 14-to-59-year-old males.

Streaming service DAZN also showed the final in Germany.

Sport1's darts record was achieved at the 2018 PDC World Championship final, when an average 2.15 million viewers tuned into see Phil Taylor, the 16-time world champion, lose to Rob Cross in his last-ever competitive match.
not a girl

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:52 pm

Rogg wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:27 pm https://sportcal.com/News/Search/129329
Sport1, the German sports broadcaster, attracted its second largest darts audience last night, as Peter Wright shocked three-time world champion, and world number one Michael van Gerwen in the final of the PDC World Championship final.

The match, which Wright (pictured) won 7-3, drew an average audience of 1.59 million, and a peak of 2.22 million, for Sport1, as the Scotsman secured his first world title.

The total market share was 4.5 per cent, and up a 8.9 per cent in the target group of 14-to-59-year-old males.

Streaming service DAZN also showed the final in Germany.

Sport1's darts record was achieved at the 2018 PDC World Championship final, when an average 2.15 million viewers tuned into see Phil Taylor, the 16-time world champion, lose to Rob Cross in his last-ever competitive match.
None too shabby. Imagine if MvG was up against someone who had a chance! Makes it all the more frustrating for them that Hopp is taking a step backwards for every step forward he takes these days...

Wolflanternbumbag

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Toby Tubton wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 pm
Wolflanternbumbag wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:53 pm Video on twitter of MVG at Winmau HQ he’s practicing wearing skinny jeans
I read he is going on a fitness regime.

But it could be his stand in ' Billy ' that Mr Cheeseman-Blenkinsop mentioned ?
Heard he’s got more stand ins than Saddam Hussein had! Billy also doubles up as Jamie Caven stand in..
YORKSHIRE GRIT

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:55 pm

thegentle wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:02 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:49 pm

Agreed re his throwing action. Still, for most of last season it held up pretty well, I wonder if the thought of losing that huge £400k from Ally Pally two years ago was playing on his mind? Won two TV events last year, but doesn't have anything like that pressure to defend money now

I'm also not overly pushed about the 'decline' at the top level. Sure, we're a bit weaker now than before, but MvG is also not going to be firing every tournament, he might absolutely annihilate everyone, he might win some playing in second gear, but there are enough players out there who can beat him if he's not quite at 100%. I expect to see some of the younger players join Aspinall in the top 10 very soon too, they're already queuing up to gatecrash the top 16
The PL will be an interesting and possibly accurate reading as far as MVG goes. Small sample but in the early years it was clear how much he wanted to finish the league phase on top but as the years have gone on it looks like fewer and fewer tournaments are of high importance to him and that's seen him slack off during the league phase of PL too and nearly beaten to top spot by both Cross and Chizzy. Domination hasn't seemed that important to him, more like he just wants to get to finals night and rely on turning it on then when the big money is on the line and it seems like he treats most of the year the same way and then wants to tun it on just for the World Championship.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:59 am

Phil Lanning with some Sun stuff from Ally Pally.

not a girl

Wolflanternbumbag

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:28 pm

Last match spoilt today’s matches..
YORKSHIRE GRIT

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:29 pm

Wolflanternbumbag wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:28 pm Last match spoilt today’s matches..
Are you lost? :D
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Wolflanternbumbag

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:30 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:29 pm
Wolflanternbumbag wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:28 pm Last match spoilt today’s matches..
Are you lost? :D
Early on set
YORKSHIRE GRIT