World Series 2019

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
thegentle

Re: World Series 2019

Post by thegentle » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:23 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:18 pm see the pdc are doing another word series - same players and a bunch of locals - bit boring isnt it - i love seeing the wizard - but do we need to see mvg the clown and anderson play each other for the millionth time - it was good the first 1234 times - but its boring now - why dont itv get creative - do a county series - get the counties involved - or a 6 nations tournament - with england scotland irelan wales holland and australia - what about a bdo vs pdc tournament at lakey - see if mvg van master the lakey stage - see how good harms really is compared to the pdc pros - instead we get the same format and the same players -

Jobson
Bit harsh of old Robson to call MvG a clown! :lol:
His shtick got boring a long time ago, but a 6 nations tournament isn't the worst idea he's come up with!

Malanax

Post by Malanax » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:37 pm

An ITV county series is probably one of the worst ideas though surely.

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Malanax wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:37 pm An ITV county series is probably one of the worst ideas though surely.
I dunno, they could have Suffolk vs Kent. Wright vs Cross. Oh, hang on....
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon May 27, 2019 8:54 am

Being a double champion on stage this year sets up Whitey for a chew on a World Series overseas event surely. There are spots still available as far as I remember.

Disapprove away.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon May 27, 2019 9:07 am

Wonderful

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 am

Ain't exactly box office so I doubt he'll get a pick, but I wouldn't begrudge White a place in one of the events at all on this form. They're just glorified exbos at the end of the day, and he'll almost certainly be in Amsterdam for the finals anyway assuming they keep the same criteria

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon May 27, 2019 10:51 am

No harm in putting him in for a World Series, I think he'll get a pick
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon May 27, 2019 11:37 am

I don't begrudge anybody who meets a criteria through winning!

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon May 27, 2019 11:39 am

Durrant will get a pick as well and of course Barney will be reeled out for ITV!

bullseye

Post by bullseye » Mon May 27, 2019 12:03 pm

StevieBoy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:39 am Durrant will get a pick as well and of course Barney will be reeled out for ITV!
Fucking hope not.

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon May 27, 2019 1:45 pm

The reason I say Durrant, when Bunting came over they gave him a spot

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Mon May 27, 2019 7:29 pm

StevieBoy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:45 pm The reason I say Durrant, when Bunting came over they gave him a spot
that's fair. But OTOH I think the PDC has to stop with this wild card shit and selections should be solely on merit. I'm not going to be over critical how they do it (I lie I properly will be lol). But if your going to run a professional circuit and create a living for the players you need to start treating them all the same and laying out the criteria so everyone knows what they are playing for and everyone knows the rules going into the start of a season. I understand the PDC did what they did in years past because they where trying to grow the game and lets be honest the talent pool was a bit smaller and name recognition wasn't that widespread. I think now the PDC is beyond those problems with the number of events and the number that are streamed or broadcast. It is time to start promoting the game ahead of the players. There are enough characters and personalities at the top end to carry the game forward. And the quality of the game right now is enough to bring it forward as well. End of the day it is a different era and the PDC needs to start treating it as so. Taylor gone, not much of an effect, Barney gone already not much of an effect, Gando pretty mucy done and dusted who gives a fuck. In short there is enough new talent coming thru to replace and create interest so treat the sport as a legitimate sport and stop with the fucking useless exhbos and make the events worth something that fans and bettors want to put their quid on.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon May 27, 2019 7:45 pm

I agree I think the world series has served it's purpose, time to move on. I think they can run tournaments down under on their own merit. For me scrap it and pull it in line with the euro tour. There's no Asian world series this year so what's left N. America you can easily run a proper ranking event there as well. Maybe I'm just fed up of seeing poxy exbo's!

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon May 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Even for ardent darts fans the season packed solid with expos like the pl and world series can get a bit wearing.
The gap from ally pally to Blackpool seems endless.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue May 28, 2019 3:00 pm

StevieBoy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:45 pm I agree I think the world series has served it's purpose, time to move on. I think they can run tournaments down under on their own merit. For me scrap it and pull it in line with the euro tour. There's no Asian world series this year so what's left N. America you can easily run a proper ranking event there as well. Maybe I'm just fed up of seeing poxy exbo's!
Yes, the WS has definitely become a bit of a bore. After 17 weeks of PL, the last thing we need is more non ranking events.
I don't know if it is feasible to have some ranking ET style events in Oz, Asia and North America, due to cost of travelling for the players outside of the top 16, but the PDC definitely need to do something. I am sure if viewing figures of the WS start to drop then something will be done..
I agree with Randall, that the gap between Ally Pally and Blackpool seems like an eternity, with only PC, ET events to watch on streams

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue May 28, 2019 5:08 pm

Second half of the year is fantastic but the first half is a drag.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 pm

I mean, most sports don't have a full 12 month calendar so no issue with that from me. Maybe 1 major could be moved to the first half of the year but I don't see it as a huge problem.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Tue May 28, 2019 6:15 pm

I have no problem with WS events just the selection criteria. Think the events still serve a promotional purpose. For me it comes down to people trying to make a living in a sport. Competitive integrity and rewarding players on merit not reputation made decades ago. There is a good bit of money on offer and I am sure players like White who work their asses off would like a shot at being at these. Treat the players fairly.

Not sure ET'S are a viable idea outside of Europe. And the talent just isn't in those locations to compete, ffs look at the disaster of the HN qualifiers .
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed May 29, 2019 4:19 pm

The Thorn wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 pm I mean, most sports don't have a full 12 month calendar so no issue with that from me. Maybe 1 major could be moved to the first half of the year but I don't see it as a huge problem.
No issue for me either.

Flipping the Grand Prix and the World Cup has been suggested before. A big TV ranking event would be quite welcome in early June once the Premier League has done its business. The World Cup would bring an arguably welcome light touch to the dense final months of the year. Seems an idea.

TV tho, inntit. Don't the long events (Grand Prix and Grand Slam) fill the black holes that are football's international breaks? Worth bothering to remember that the PDC play by Sky's rules.

Btw the UK Open now falls between Ally Pally and the Matchplay. Reading the comments here I did wonder if people have forgotten.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed May 29, 2019 4:22 pm

Rogg wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:19 pm
The Thorn wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 pm I mean, most sports don't have a full 12 month calendar so no issue with that from me. Maybe 1 major could be moved to the first half of the year but I don't see it as a huge problem.
No issue for me either.

Flipping the Grand Prix and the World Cup has been suggested before. A big TV ranking event would be quite welcome in early June once the Premier League has done its business. The World Cup would bring an arguably welcome light touch to the dense final months of the year. Seems an idea.

TV tho, inntit. Don't the long events (Grand Prix and Grand Slam) fill the black holes that are football's international breaks? Worth bothering to remember that the PDC play by Sky's rules.

Btw the UK Open now falls between Ally Pally and the Matchplay. Reading the comments here I did wonder if people have forgotten.
The open isnt a week long event though.
Not something you can really get your teeth into