Where would Glenn Durrant rank after two years in the PDC?

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO

If Glenn Durrant gets a tour card, where would he rank after two years in the PDC?

Number 1
5%
Top 5
4%
Top 10
23%
Top 16
32%
Top 25
18%
Top 32
11%
Outside the top 32
9%

Total votes: 57

a massive zebra

Where would Glenn Durrant rank after two years in the PDC?

Post by a massive zebra » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:37 pm

If Glenn Durrant gets a tour card, where would he rank after two years in the PDC?

sennafan24

Re: Where would Glenn Durrant rank after two years in the PDC?

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:40 pm

I am going to go with between 8-10.

I will be surprised if he doesn't crack the top 16. And equally surprised if he makes the top 5.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Gidra

Post by Gidra » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 pm

I'll with top 3.
Now that Taylor's gone, there's only two players better than Melty

SolidSCB

Post by SolidSCB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Top 16. I think he'll have a fairly similar trajectory to Bunting where he'll have a good 2 years before the grind of constant beatings makes him peter out a bit. A wildcard into the PL next season isn't out of the question if he picks up a few decent scalps through the year and there's enough mystique left in him for the PDC to capitalise on. But I don't see him being a mainstay in the upper echelons of the game.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised after a few years on the tour if he didn't pull out the "I've always wanted to retire at Lakeside" card.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:53 pm

He's definitely top 16 level at the moment, though he'll do well to get that far starting from nothing. He's roughly as good as Bunting was when he switched (didn't he just about scrape in after 2 years?) but the tour is tougher now. He's definitely better than the likes of North and Lennon are at the moment though, so barring a disaster, he should be fairly comfortable inside the top 32, probably around about 20ish, and then make the top 16 not long after before beginning his decline
Last edited by thegentle on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 pm

I'm not convinced he is up for the travel and frequency of grinding results. Think at the end of two years he will be burned out. Long term he will find himself back in the BDO.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

a massive zebra

Post by a massive zebra » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:01 pm

I voted top 10.

Which smartarse voted outside the top 32? That's less likely than top 5 IMO. Durrant is a class dart player who holds the record for the highest ever tournament average at the Lakeside by a British thrower. Gurney is top 5 and is he really a significantly better dart player than Durrant? I'm not convinced.

Only reason I didn't vote top 5 is because Durrant can be a bit of a bottle job and in the PDC he won't get away with missing opportunities the same way he does in the BDO. Guys like Suljovic and Wade aren't really any more talented, but they could eat him for breakfast if his lack of mental toughness gets the better of him.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Top 25 at best.

He's already said on this site he'd be swallowed up in the PDC and there's no reason to think that will change.

Look at the last GS, he put in a decent average and unlike the BDO the opposition didn't fold. He'd be facing that week in and week out, and when under pressure he folds
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:06 pm

With two free years id be amazed if he isn't top 16.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:09 pm

M H wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:01 pm Top 25 at best.

He's already said on this site he'd be swallowed up in the PDC and there's no reason to think that will change.

Look at the last GS, he put in a decent average and unlike the BDO the opposition didn't fold. He'd be facing that week in and week out, and when under pressure he folds
I agree, he could fold when up against elite level performances, but he's not going to be facing 100+ averages every game. I see no reason he can't do well with his 95-100 averages if he's up against a similar kind of level, and it's not as if everyone in the PDC has iron resolve neither, the likes of Cullen and White could fold against him

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Randall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:06 pm With two free years id be amazed if he isn't top 16.
I wouldn't mate. He may get lucky with a few draws here and there but he won't get local piss up boy in the first round
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:13 pm

M H wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:10 pm
Randall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:06 pm With two free years id be amazed if he isn't top 16.
I wouldn't mate. He may get lucky with a few draws here and there but he won't get local piss up boy in the first round
I don't think he needs lucky draws, more than capable.
The first few months will tell, a few bad runs and his confidence might go altogether.

a massive zebra

Post by a massive zebra » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:14 pm

thegentle wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:53 pmHe's roughly as good as Bunting was when he switched
Statistically that is not really true. When Bunting won Lakeside his tournament average was 94. Durrant has done two 97+ tournament averages and a couple of others over 95.

When Bunting won the Masters his tournament averages were 93 and 95. Durrant has done two 99 tournament averages at the Masters and others over 95.

Durrant's averages at BDO majors over the last 5 years are as good as anyone in the PDC over that period except MVG, Taylor and Anderson. That's not to say I think he will reach the top 5 as it is easier to play well when there is nothing coming back at you.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:18 pm

a massive zebra wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:14 pm
thegentle wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:53 pmHe's roughly as good as Bunting was when he switched
Statistically that is not really true. When Bunting won Lakeshite his tournament average was 94. Durrant has done two 97+ tournament averages and a couple of others over 95.

When Bunting won the Masters his tournament averages were 93 and 95. Durrant has done two 99 tournament averages at the Masters and others over 95.

Durrant's averages at BDO majors over the last 5 years are as good as anyone in the PDC over that period except MVG, Taylor and Anderson. That's not to say I think he will reach the top 5 as it is easier to play well when there is nothing coming back at you.
Fucking hell, this must be a golden age for the BDO compared to what they had when Bunting was ruling the roost! Didn't realise that, yeah, Duzza should get top 16 after 2 years then

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:20 pm

For reference:

- Bunting switched in early 2014. He was ranked 17th going into the 2016 Worlds.

- Norris switched in early 2015. He was ranked 21st going into the 2017 Worlds.

- Wilson switched in early 2015. He wasn't ranked in the top 32 going into the 2017 Worlds (although he did eventually crack the world's top 32)

Hmmmmm. Maybe I was a little kind to Durrant. Maybe 8-16 is the most likely outcome.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

a massive zebra

Post by a massive zebra » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Randall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:13 pm
The first few months will tell, a few bad runs and his confidence might go altogether.
Yeah he doesn't need lucky draws, more than capable of beating all of them except MVG and Anderson. But if his lack of balls come into play he could lose some early round matches against lesser players because there are no easy draws in the PDC.

SolidSCB

Post by SolidSCB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:29 pm

That game against Scott Baker this year is indicative of his game. Yeah, he's got a good, solid game in him but his arse is prone to dropping really badly completely out of the blue as well. Periods like that in the PDC and you'll find yourself 5/6-0 down in minutes and with his temperament he's probably going to batter himself into oblivion over it.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:31 pm

a massive zebra wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm
Randall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:13 pm
Yeah he doesn't need lucky draws, more than capable of beating all of them except MVG and Anderson. But if his lack of balls come into play he could lose some early round matches against lesser players because there are no easy draws in the PDC.
You only had to see him against gilding to see how vulnerable he is mentally.
It's going to go one of 2 ways and probably at the extremes. Little middle ground

a massive zebra

Post by a massive zebra » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Lol someone voted number 1! :lol:

Unless MVG dies and he borrows Taylor's stones, I'd bet my house on that NOT happening!

Wolflanternbumbag

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:40 pm

King of the castle
YORKSHIRE GRIT