Pdc masters 2019

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
The Ginge Reaper

Re: Pdc masters 2019

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:27 am

Made plenty of money from backing the Wade under 96.5 average, how he made the final I have no idea.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:38 am

The Ginge Reaper wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:27 am Made plenty of money from backing the Wade under 96.5 average, how he made the final I have no idea.
Classic Wade, classic Cullen and Wright for that matter too
Last edited by thegentle on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SolidSCB

Post by SolidSCB » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 am

Have to say, this was by far one of the worst PDC tournaments in recent memory.

They need to have a look at these ones that are on ITV4, they are all absolutely identical bar the UK Open. Same players, same format, same commentators and pundits saying the same things every, single, time. It's all so devoid of any soul whatsoever. Give these things a bit of identity. If you want the Masters to feel important, think about mixing up the format, maybe some short course setplay, or making it an open draw. Just..... do something.

It doesn't help that the players could not give a single fuck about them bar MvG. There are some truly embarrassing 'professionals' out there at the minute.

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:36 pm

Admitted by all concerned no one takes it seriously.

Make it a ranking Tournament. The top 32 of the PDC Order of Merit

Have the Players Championship a week before the tournament and any 'Ring Rust' can be shook off there!

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:43 pm

Quite frankly nothing is going to make this event much more prestigious, even if they attach ranking money to it. Perhaps having a ProTour just before it would help them get in better form for it, but I'm with SolidSCB, would prefer something completely different like a 128 player NOTW type tournament would be better. Everyone would be in with a chance and at least such an event would have some kind of historical legacy (which they were looking for with this but can't ever reach, it's not like snooker where the Masters is one of the big 3 with lots of history)
Last edited by thegentle on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:50 pm

I actually like this event. To me it is the best of the non ranking events, the criteria is clear unlike the WSOD events. Your getting the top 16 going at each other in a long format, the best have the best probability in going thru. I admit this year the standard was way off the mark. Missing Philth, Gando and Barney (who if I remember correctly shows up and plays a good standard at this event). Then you have a group of players who seem to be struggling with form: Wright, Lewis, Chisnall, and Wade.
Think Wade and Chisnall showing signs of coming back. Wright is I think on the down slide of his career. Lewis I am completely unsure if he will ever find his way back.

Going out on a limb here but I think a large part of the discontent is MvG and running away with the win to boot. With Cry-nando looking for the door, Barney all ready out the door, think that your looking at a few good years of dominance. Wright and Chizzy have proven they are no challenge as they would rather bend over for MvG. Wade and Lewis back playing top darts might be some kind of challenge, but then again it is more likely that Ian White wins a TV event.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

ellis john

Post by ellis john » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Gary Anderson Wonder what MVG HAS TO SAY NOW.And all of you DOUBTFUL Fuckers.

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:21 pm

Sorry, what?
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:43 pm

cannibal wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:50 pm I actually like this event. To me it is the best of the non ranking events, the criteria is clear unlike the WSOD events. Your getting the top 16 going at each other in a long format, the best have the best probability in going thru. I admit this year the standard was way off the mark. Missing Philth, Gando and Barney (who if I remember correctly shows up and plays a good standard at this event). Then you have a group of players who seem to be struggling with form: Wright, Lewis, Chisnall, and Wade.
Think Wade and Chisnall showing signs of coming back. Wright is I think on the down slide of his career. Lewis I am completely unsure if he will ever find his way back.

Going out on a limb here but I think a large part of the discontent is MvG and running away with the win to boot. With Cry-nando looking for the door, Barney all ready out the door, think that your looking at a few good years of dominance. Wright and Chizzy have proven they are no challenge as they would rather bend over for MvG. Wade and Lewis back playing top darts might be some kind of challenge, but then again it is more likely that Ian White wins a TV event.
It's nice for the players who just missed out I guess, and the PDC have been clever to put this as a season opener which gives it slightly more kudos than it had when it was in November. One of the more pointless events, won't stop me posting about it lol
Was disappointing for me, the standard wasn't horrendous, it's just a shame that certain players couldn't take advantage of chances on offer, and of course it's also shame in any event if MvG doesn't get pushed. I think it'll be a sign of things to come, MvG will win a lot of events, some at an absolute canter, but the chasing pack will get better and will surely nab a couple throughout the year.

Wade did his thing, he'll be there or thereabouts this season but will be blown away if anyone chucks their A-game at him.
Wright did OK, but he's defending a lot and will surely fall this year (kind of like Gurney, though at least I expect a bit more from him this year)
Chizzy looks to be finding some kind of form, though I'd be surprised if he wins a TV event

Mensur will do OK, though I don't know if his nerve will hold at key moments like last year
I'll give Smith a pass, he's just got married, but he's no longer a youngster anymore. Last year was promising, but he really needs to start running big events now
Looks like Cross won't match the heights of 2017/18, he'll perhaps win an event or two on the ProTour/World Series, but I think the big ones will elude him. Still, his showing against JdZ at Ally Pally gives me hope he can at least go on a decent run at the Worlds every once I. A whIle
And everyone else will kind of fade into irrelevancy, at the very top end at least

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:51 pm

got to love the ramblings of E.J. Pretty much anything he says is open to interpretation in just about anyway you try to read it. Even the use of a single word like "Wonder" in this case can mean a host of things. is he referring to Cry-nando's previous nick, or is him actually wondering what MvG might be thinking, or who in the fuck knows what other references it could be making. Rain Man makes far more sense than E.J. at least Rain Main knew that K-Mart sucks, while E.J. is still their main customer.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:30 pm

ellis john wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:18 pm Gary Anderson Wonder what MVG HAS TO SAY NOW.And all of you DOUBTFUL Fuckers.
Are you ok?

cidermaster

Post by cidermaster » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:34 pm

I did not watch a single minute of this event,because it really is pointless,also i knew who had won it straight away.Apart from the UK Open all the ITV Events are like Groundhog day.I only wish ITV still had the Grand Slam Of Darts,they ran that brilliantly.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Yep it would be better if it’s either

Top 32 as VVDV proposed

Or a “snooker shoot out”best of 3 with all 128 players involved
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:15 pm

cidermaster wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:34 pm I did not watch a single minute of this event,because it really is pointless,also i knew who had won it straight away.Apart from the UK Open all the ITV Events are like Groundhog day.I only wish ITV still had the Grand Slam Of Darts,they ran that brilliantly.
Apart from all the times when you've said who'll win and they don't win, you're always correct.
not a girl

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:26 pm

oche balboa wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:38 pm Yep it would be better if it’s either

Top 32 as VVDV proposed

Or a “snooker shoot out”best of 3 with all 128 players involved
Don't see the appeal in Vinny's proposal. Sure, they can slap some ranking points onto an event, but it's not going to make it interesting in any way, I much prefer the latter, even if it has to be non-ranking to avoid a potential shitfest

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:44 pm

Rebrand news of the world, open draw, carnage. Sounds better to me.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:00 pm

This always shakes darts fans to the core but you could just pick and choose your events. Not as much fun as proposing the merciless destruction and flamboyant rebuilding of every event on earth but a practical solution if something is not to your taste. These aren't the old days where you'd not see a match between January and July and got into the habit of lapping it all up. Everything is doing its work, with or without you.

and of course very few people are as weird as us weirdos. If you don't have Sky and don't use streams, you'd be excited for the Masters every year and your next lot will be the UK Open.
not a girl

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:00 pm This always shakes darts fans to the core but you could just pick and choose your events. Not as much fun as proposing the merciless destruction and flamboyant rebuilding of every event on earth but a practical solution if something is not to your taste. These aren't the old days where you'd not see a match between January and July and got into the habit of lapping it all up. Everything is doing its work, with or without you.

and of course very few people are as weird as us weirdos. If you don't have Sky and don't use streams, you'd be excited for the Masters every year and your next lot will be the UK Open.
I don't get the mentality of people that slags off the event before it starts, then watch it, then slags it off after it has finished and say it is a pointless event.
I like watching any darts event on TV or stream, I have favourites and am not so excited about others but I watch them because I like watching darts.. the first event of the calendar is always going to be a bit ropey, due to the players coming back after a month or so off, and also being an unranked event, but I still enjoy watching it..
I am looking forward to the start of the PL and the Uk Open but there will be many people sagging them off before they even start.
I sometimes don't get why those people watch darts at all...

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:43 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:19 pm
Rogg wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:00 pm This always shakes darts fans to the core but you could just pick and choose your events. Not as much fun as proposing the merciless destruction and flamboyant rebuilding of every event on earth but a practical solution if something is not to your taste. These aren't the old days where you'd not see a match between January and July and got into the habit of lapping it all up. Everything is doing its work, with or without you.

I don't get the mentality of people that slags off the event before it starts, then watch it, then slags it off after it has finished and say it is a pointless event.
I like watching any darts event on TV or stream, I have favourites and am not so excited about others but I watch them because I like watching darts.. the first event of the calendar is always going to be a bit ropey, due to the players coming back after a month or so off, and also being an unranked event, but I still enjoy watching it..
I am looking forward to the start of the PL and the Uk Open but there will be many people sagging them off before they even start.
I sometimes don't get why those people watch darts at all...
Maybe they are looking for permission to break the cycle and stop watching completely. We could set them free.
not a girl

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:50 pm

I'm glad I'm not allowed to watch a tournament, and not enjoy the standard and say I didn't think it was a good tournament.

Democracy is a wonderful thing!