ITV, Sky or BBC

Chat and Gossip About Professional and Ever More Farcical BDO Darts
wintergardener
Posts: 1257
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:20 pm
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by wintergardener » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Wherever Vassos isn't.

oche balboa
Posts: 2379
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:52 pm
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by oche balboa » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:21 pm

ITV coverage is better then Sky Sports.

I like to see interviews with players

User avatar
cannibal
Posts: 5675
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:41 am
Location: Tipping cows in fields Elysian
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by cannibal » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Sky for me, mainly based on production values. Granted Wayne is a bit of a tit, but Sid used to get on me pecks as well. Sid had the redeeming quality of great metaphors and analogies tho.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

User avatar
Rogg
Posts: 22856
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by Rogg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:41 pm

cannibal wrote:Sky for me, mainly based on production values. Granted Wayne is a bit of a tit, but Sid used to get on me pecks as well. Sid had the redeeming quality of great metaphors and analogies tho.
The way Sky do everything is clearly incredible, but none of it is really my thing. Generally the coverage across all the platforms is peopled by very competent folk imo. Compare it to the presentation of football which I find plain insufferable across the board, ridiculous. I think in darts we get lucky.

Not sure what people's issues are with Studd. I think he's good. But then I like John Rawling too, so maybe there's something up with me...
Goldsaddle Goatfish
cnt go round calliNG people cyclops

User avatar
sennafan24
Moderator
Posts: 9642
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by sennafan24 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:52 pm

oche balboa wrote:ITV coverage is better then Sky Sports.
Louder Oche.

I don't think Chris Mason quite heard you.
"Little scumbag" - Oche Balboa

Trenzalorean
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:34 pm
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by Trenzalorean » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:06 am

Sky by a long way and will be so long as they never employ Dan Dawson or John Rawling on full commentary.

Dan Dawson - one of the most annoying voices and "I think I know it all" attitudes in the history of sports television.
John Rawling - a good voice but a total chancer who very obviously doesnt know Darts in depth and will do absolutely anything he can to have general conversations during match commentaries.
Chris Mason - an unusual human being because biologically his body is incapable of expelling carbon dioxide without commenting on his performances of the past.
Wayne Mardle - sort of ok but annoying in taking the tried and trusted commentary route of totally inventing aspects of the game that dont exist in an effort to make himself appear to be the most knowledgeable.
Rod Harrington - has similar biological affliction as Mason above. Had a very strange wedding ceremony because had to explain weird vows to the priest that he can't go 2 sentences in life without mentioning the phrases "strength in depth" and "so much good young talent". Rumour has it that Mrs Harrington said yes within 30 seconds of meeting Rod at his constant insistence of Strength in Depth.
Paul Nicholson - just plain annoying.

I like Alan Warriner, Rod Studd, John Part.

User avatar
D & B
Posts: 23148
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 3:05 pm
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by D & B » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:38 am

Trenzalorean wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:06 am
Sky by a long way and will be so long as they never employ Dan Dawson or John Rawling on full commentary.

Dan Dawson - one of the most annoying voices and "I think I know it all" attitudes in the history of sports television.
John Rawling - a good voice but a total chancer who very obviously doesnt know Darts in depth and will do absolutely anything he can to have general conversations during match commentaries.
Chris Mason - an unusual human being because biologically his body is incapable of expelling carbon dioxide without commenting on his performances of the past.
Wayne Mardle - sort of ok but annoying in taking the tried and trusted commentary route of totally inventing aspects of the game that dont exist in an effort to make himself appear to be the most knowledgeable.
Rod Harrington - has similar biological affliction as Mason above. Had a very strange wedding ceremony because had to explain weird vows to the priest that he can't go 2 sentences in life without mentioning the phrases "strength in depth" and "so much good young talent". Rumour has it that Mrs Harrington said yes within 30 seconds of meeting Rod at his constant insistence of Strength in Depth.
Paul Nicholson - just plain annoying.

I like Alan Warriner, Rod Studd, John Part.
And Webster?

Trenzalorean
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:34 pm
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by Trenzalorean » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:24 am

[/quote]

And Webster?
[/quote]

Webster this christmas was the best he has been. Sometimes his delivery isnt very fluent and he can occasionally sound like a company man with insufficient criticism.
This christmas though he was much better. More insight and less jittery.

User avatar
Captain Hobo
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:06 am

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by Captain Hobo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:56 am

Trenzalorean wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:24 am
And Webster?
[/quote]

Webster this christmas was the best he has been. Sometimes his delivery isnt very fluent and he can occasionally sound like a company man with insufficient criticism.
This christmas though he was much better. More insight and less jittery.
[/quote]

His commentary going the opposite way of his darts, then.

Like your description of Mason, remember that time when he was ranked 32 and kept drawing Taylor? If not, he'll soon remind you.

But don't agree at all re Dan Dawson. He is by far the best and most knowledgeable pundit around. My only criticism is that on TV he seems nervous and a bit too keen to impress, but he is excellent on PDC.tv for Euro and Pro Tour.

User avatar
tungsten tossers
Posts: 2102
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by tungsten tossers » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:08 am

Captain Hobo wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:56 am
Trenzalorean wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:24 am
And Webster?
Webster this christmas was the best he has been. Sometimes his delivery isnt very fluent and he can occasionally sound like a company man with insufficient criticism.
This christmas though he was much better. More insight and less jittery.
[/quote]

His commentary going the opposite way of his darts, then.

Like your description of Mason, remember that time when he was ranked 32 and kept drawing Taylor? If not, he'll soon remind you.

But don't agree at all re Dan Dawson. He is by far the best and most knowledgeable pundit around. My only criticism is that on TV he seems nervous and a bit too keen to impress, but he is excellent on PDC.tv for Euro and Pro Tour.
[/quote]

Agreed.. Dawson is excellent on the Euro tour and he comes across really well. I would like to see him on one of the majors, alongside either Part or Webster.

SolidSCB
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 am
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by SolidSCB » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:14 am

To be fair I think a lot of the Sky lot are far better away from Sky.

Unfortunately when the broadcaster itself is into all the lads, lads, lads. Banter, banter, banter Soccer AM shit like it's still 2005 you have to imagine it's drilled into them to scream like ADHD cunts and it's probably written into their contract that they have to say the word 'needle' a minimum of 5 times each per session.

User avatar
tungsten tossers
Posts: 2102
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by tungsten tossers » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:27 am

SolidSCB wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:14 am
To be fair I think a lot of the Sky lot are far better away from Sky.

Unfortunately when the broadcaster itself is into all the lads, lads, lads. Banter, banter, banter Soccer AM shit like it's still 2005 you have to imagine it's drilled into them to scream like ADHD cunts and it's probably written into their contract that they have to say the word 'needle' a minimum of 5 times each per session.
Sky like to promote the rivalry a bit too much.
They imply there is needle or the famous..there is no love lost between these two... for virtually every game.
But, they do it for every sport, so I have kind of got used to it now
It would be nice to see some new blood on the commentary, but I think we are stuck with Mardle and Harrington for a few years yet

SolidSCB
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 am
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by SolidSCB » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:31 am

Oh absolutely.

It isn't the people, it's the broadcaster and the entire direction they take the product. The comms and pundits are just along for the ride and hype up the things Sky want to hype up. They clearly think the sport can't stand up on it's own so they have to create fairytale rivalries and fake animosity where there isn't any.

User avatar
Randall
Moderator
Posts: 77146
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by Randall » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:39 am

SolidSCB wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:31 am
Oh absolutely.

It isn't the people, it's the broadcaster and the entire direction they take the product. The comms and pundits are just along for the ride and hype up the things Sky want to hype up. They clearly think the sport can't stand up on it's own so they have to create fairytale rivalries and fake animosity where there isn't any.
And yet cry off when real dislike pops up.
Image

User avatar
StevieBoy
Posts: 3683
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:49 am
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by StevieBoy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:50 am

I always find it interesting when Part and Mardle are commentating together- especially at key moments in a match. The mindset is so different, thats why Part was a champion and Mardle always fell short!

SolidSCB
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 am
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by SolidSCB » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:51 am

Heh, "There's genuine animosity between these two!", "Everyone loves a bit of needle in games!".

*Something properly kicks off in a match, bonus points for seething players swearing during their interviews when baited

"Oh wait, this atrocious sportsmanship and child like behaviour on our channel is painting our network in a bad light! Might be a good idea to pretend we're against this sort of thing!"

SolidSCB
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 am
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by SolidSCB » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am

The Part/Mardle thing always gets me too, it's night and day.

Part: "He's sitting on 201 here, if he can leave himself a two or maybe even a one-dart outshot from this visit he'll be in pole position!"

Mardle: "He's sitting on 201 here, if he can hit one treble and get the crowd on his opponent's back he'll be in pole position!"

Titselena Bumsquirt
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by Titselena Bumsquirt » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:25 pm

Anyone with Part commentating - such a cool CanadIan bastard.

Anyone without Mardle - such a complete cockwobbler.

User avatar
Rogg
Posts: 22856
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by Rogg » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:53 pm

Rogg wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:41 pm
I like John Rawling
I withdraw this. His Lakeshite business this year defied description.
Goldsaddle Goatfish
cnt go round calliNG people cyclops

Daztom
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:57 pm
Contact:

Re: ITV, Sky or BBC

Post by Daztom » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:05 pm

All channels are worse off due to lack of walk on girls

Post Reply
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Malanax, Safc, StevieBoy and 32 guests