PDC Grand Sham of Darts 2018, Nov 10-18

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
cannibal

Re: PDC Grand Sham of Darts 2018, Nov 10-18

Post by cannibal » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:08 pm

Lets see how my reading comprehension is... In short if you want an invite to the GSOD you should have won something or at least got to a final.

Agreed, GSOD should be for title holders. Or finalist at a minimum. No BDO cunts, give the spots to PDC affiliate tour winners instead.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:20 pm

cannibal wrote:Lets see how my reading comprehension is... In short if you want an invite to the GSOD you should have won something or at least got to a final.

Agreed, GSOD should be for title holders. Or finalist at a minimum. No BDO cunts, give the spots to PDC affiliate tour winners instead.
Having the BDO players in there does generate a bit of interest from the media etc and I must admit, I do get a buzz watching the "top pro's" like Cow Botherer get taken apart by mid table PDC players.
But I do agree, the qualifiers does seem to be a cheap way to get in, especially if it is at the expense of event winners

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:00 pm

Zeyes wrote:Although I never understood what the floor qualifier has to do with justifying its ranking status. All tour card holders have 40+ opportunities to win a Pro Tour event in a season. Yes, it's difficult, but it's a perfectly fair and open qualifying procedure. Worse, getting into the GSOD on the back of winning three or four games at the qualifier makes a total mockery of how hard it is to qualify the regular way. And then's before we even consider that some of these regular qualifiers get bumped off in favour of giving spots to the floor qualifying.

Let's be honest, creating the 8-player GSOD qualifier was likely only about adding some value to the tour card on the cheap. Lots of value has been added to it in other ways since then (the entry fee abolition, primarily), so there's zero reason to persist with the qualifier now, other than to truly fill out the last couple of open spots after all the ranking title winners have got in.
Completely agree. The value of having a tour card is much greater than it was a couple years ago. Scrapping the entry fees, or the free pass to the UK Open is tremendous and I don't think a floor qualifier is that much needed anymore. Although I wouldn't mind a floor qualifier for the remaining places, once all event winners got in.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:20 pm

The Thorn wrote:Although I wouldn't mind a floor qualifier for the remaining places, once all event winners got in.
I'm actually curious what the player list would look like if they scrapped both the BDO and the qualifier players, and simply invited Pro Tour runner-ups to fill the field to 32. And that would be a group of players where it wouldn't hurt so much if some of them had to be left out on tie-break (by OOM or whatever).

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:32 pm

For kicks:

TV finalists (11): Anderson, Cadby, Clayton, Cross, Payne, M. Smith, Suljovic, van Barneveld, Van den Bergh, van Gerwen, Wright

Euro Tour winners (3 -> 14): Hopp, Price, White

PC winners (4 -> 18): Aspinall, de Zwaan, King, Mansell

UK Open Q winners (1 -> 19): Ratajski

Euro Tour runners-up (7 -> 26): Evans, Lennon, A. Lewis, O'Connor, Wade, Whitlock, Wilson

PC runners-up, in OOM order (7 -> 33): Gurney (5), Chisnall (8), D. Webster (14), Dobey (34), Searle (65), Clemens (75), S. Taylor (82)

UK Open Q runners-up (1 -> 34): Lerchbacher

So the cut would currently be between Clemens and Taylor.

I know that list of players still includes a bunch that people are kinda sick of, but I'd say the likes of Chisnall, Whitlock and even Wilson are still preferable to what the floor qualifier will potentially spit out. (To say nothing of the BDO contingent.)

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:19 am

The whole event Is a misnomer.
Calling it a "grand slam" then desperately trying to make up numbers.

Safc

Post by Safc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:16 pm

I like the grand slam and don't think there is owt wrong with Format but agree the 24 spots for pdc should be filled with winners and runner ups and the bdo 8 should be the same winners and runner ups from there 8 biggest tournaments

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:26 pm

Safc wrote:I like the grand slam and don't think there is owt wrong with Format but agree the 24 spots for pdc should be filled with winners and runner ups and the bdo 8 should be the same winners and runner ups from there 8 biggest tournaments
:pointing: :pointing: :pointing:

Go on, ill indulge you...what 8 events are these then? :D
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Safc wrote:I like the grand slam and don't think there is owt wrong with Format but agree the 24 spots for pdc should be filled with winners and runner ups and the bdo 8 should be the same winners and runner ups from there 8 biggest tournaments
No way someone should get into the GSOD because they won an open. The rankings is the best way to do it. May be an argument for giving the Lakeside runner-up a place but that's it.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Make it what it is, an event for winners.
Play it friday-sunday
Make it best of 11 sets 1st round
Elongate it whichever you want but don't fill it with fucking jobbers.

Safc

Post by Safc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:

Dunno to be honest but the way they do it now Big Jobbo, gets in without winning anything the tournament should only be players who have won events maybe the 8 bdo should be

4 lakeshite semi finalists
Masters Winner & Ru
World Trophy Winner & Ru

Then go off rankings if you get multiples above

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Safc wrote:
The Ginge Reaper wrote:

Dunno to be honest but the way they do it now Big Jobbo, gets in without winning anything the tournament should only be players who have won events maybe the 8 bdo should be

Masters Winner & Ru
World Trophy Winner & Ru

OK by that logic, and assuming 2 of the top 8 in the world get into the Masters final, you will have

Durrant (qualifies twice)
Waites
McGeeney
Unterbuchner (qualifies twice)

Plus the next 4 from the rankings.

So, exactly the same fucking 8 names who currently get in anyway. Have you actually thought this one through? :lol: :lol:
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Safc

Post by Safc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:09 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:
Safc wrote:
The Ginge Reaper wrote:

Masters Winner & Ru
World Trophy Winner & Ru

OK by that logic, and assuming 2 of the top 8 in the world get into the Masters final, you will have

Durrant (qualifies twice)
Waites
McGeeney
Unterbuchner (qualifies twice)

Plus the next 4 from the rankings.

So, exactly the same fucking 8 names who currently get in anyway. Have you actually thought this one through? :lol: :lol:
No i haven't :D :D not realy bothered who qualifies just don't realy like Big Jobbo if im honest

For me the format of the tournament is fine its like people have said it should be the winners and runner ups from the PDC side instead of Joe Murnan or Simon Stevenson doing nothing all year then winning 3 games in a empty room over a short format in a qualifier

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:10 pm

As weak as the BDO has become, without their contingent, the event does lose its meaning, after all it was conceived as the one TV event in which they could play together. There were some weird ones like Barrie Bates qualifying for 2 years off the basis of a World Cup runners up spot, but the early events did have some good ideas. Having just a few floor qualifiers was fine, and now would be a good time to reintroduce regional qualifiers seeing as the standard is better than ever

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:15 am

We're about to find out which jobbers will make it, and no, I'm not talking about the floor qualifiers! Burton going above and beyond this time, cheers mate

Looking good for Unty, the only BDO player other than Duzza who I have any interest in seeing

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Veenstra got into the Grand Slam this weekend, knocking out Waites

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:08 pm

The Thorn wrote:Veenstra got into the Grand Slam this weekend, knocking out Waites
Jesus wept

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:09 pm

Randall wrote:
The Thorn wrote:Veenstra got into the Grand Slam this weekend, knocking out Waites
Jesus wept
Might just prefer Veenstra actually, Waites doesn't have the game anymore I think

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:14 pm

The Thorn wrote:
Randall wrote:
Jesus wept
Might just prefer Veenstra actually, Waites doesn't have the game anymore I think
Veenestra has never had the game.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:26 pm

As it stands, he could yet be knocked out if someone below him wins the Masters. Unty and Robson are both safely through, don't care about the vast majority of BDO players, but I am happy Unty is there