"Switchers" Watch 2018/19

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Fiss Plaps

Re: "Switchers" Watch 2018/19

Post by Fiss Plaps » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Zeyes wrote:Is Yoeri Duijster still a thing? No results on DDB since February.
Wasn't he one of the lads who got caught snorting coke during the Isle of Man tournaments?
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Zeyes wrote:Rogg (I think it was) already mentioned during the Trophy how bare the NDB cupboard seems to be these days. Feels strange to think that Harms might again be the best they have now. As for the others (I already mentioned Veenstra above):

I don't rate Mandigers to be honest, nor Landman, both look like guys who have back-end of the 128 tour cards upside at best. Not sure I'd expect either of them to even finish top 20 of the Euro QS at this point, let alone win a tour card.

Sparidaans is a weird one...in his mid-20s but plays like a random Dev Tour 19-year-old, as likely to average 96 in a match as 72. Talent might be there, not sure if he'll ever manage to harness it.

Telnekes is already 23, too, but seems to be just starting out above national level if DDB is to be trusted. Some good results for somebody who's in his first year of BDO/WDF-ranked tournaments. Perhaps a long-term project, but might well be the best of these guys in the end.

Is Yoeri Duijster still a thing? No results on DDB since February.
The problem these Dutch and Belgian flavoured mushrooms will have, is the quality they will come up against in Euro QS.

http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/Rankings ... ey=36&pg=1

Plus the new young and emerging players that will give it a go.( I am sure there is a Roxy-Embryo Rodríguez being groomed as we speak)
I would like to see them try so at least they can they gave it a go and if they don't succeed then back to the drawing board until next year.

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:11 pm

Andy Hamilton?

Székely "Penge" Pál?

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:13 pm

IMHO, the biggest thing for the continental players is that a lot more of them need to get into the habit of playing the Challenge Tour. We've finally seen the start of that this year, thankfully, but loads of them still only do the Euro Tour qualifiers, and that's just not enough, not to mention that the ET qualifying doesn't offer any prize money beyond the 8 qualifying spots.

Maybe the PDC will need to internationalize the tournament locations for the CT eventually. (Or start up a separate continental CT, but I'm not in favour of that. Segregating the players at QS is iffy enough.) Ultimately the CT probably needs to be purged of no-hopers as well to keep the entry numbers in check and the level of play high, like the main tour has been.

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Zeyes wrote:IMHO, the biggest thing for the continental players is that a lot more of them need to get into the habit of playing the Challenge Tour. We've finally seen the start of that this year, thankfully, but loads of them still only do the Euro Tour qualifiers, and that's just not enough, not to mention that the ET qualifying doesn't offer any prize money beyond the 8 qualifying spots.

Maybe the PDC will need to internationalize the tournament locations for the CT eventually. (Or start up a separate continental CT, but I'm not in favour of that. Segregating the players at QS is iffy enough.) Ultimately the CT probably needs to be purged of no-hopers as well to keep the entry numbers in check and the level of play high, like the main tour has been.
I'm surprised there's a continental Development Tour weekend but not one for the Challenge Tour. You would have thought with the introduction of Euro Q-School they'd have arranged one.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:26 pm

Zeyes wrote:IMHO, the biggest thing for the continental players is that a lot more of them need to get into the habit of playing the Challenge Tour. We've finally seen the start of that this year, thankfully, but loads of them still only do the Euro Tour qualifiers, and that's just not enough, not to mention that the ET qualifying doesn't offer any prize money beyond the 8 qualifying spots.

Yeah, that's a tough one, I agree that having a separate CT for non Uk would not be good.
I was thinking that if the CT went to a points system rather than cash, then maybe the non tour card holders could earn points for the ET qualifying events, as can the Uk based players in the UK qualifiers. Then at least players who miss a CT weekend wont get shafted so much like Cammie did as he would still be gaining points in the events he has qualified for.
Not sure there is a good resolution for this but as the game grows it will be more of a problem

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:32 pm

As we are talking switchers do you think that in the next few years we will see some of the cloggers switch to BDO?
With so many good young players emerging in the next few years we will probably see a lot more of the older guys losing their tour cards and maybe not want to slog it out in the CT
Lets face it, Painter and Jenks could probably have a bash at winning Lakeshite

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:44 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote:I'm surprised there's a continental Development Tour weekend but not one for the Challenge Tour. You would have thought with the introduction of Euro Q-School they'd have arranged one.
Given the mess that last year's introduction of the split QS was, I suspect they just didn't have the time to think about expanding the CT yet for this season. The Dev Tour visit to Germany has been in place for a couple of years already, so just business as usual there.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Zeyes wrote:Rogg (I think it was) already mentioned during the Trophy how bare the NDB cupboard seems to be these days. Feels strange to think that Harms might again be the best they have now. As for the others (I already mentioned Veenstra above):

I don't rate Mandigers to be honest, nor Landman, both look like guys who have back-end of the 128 tour cards upside at best. Not sure I'd expect either of them to even finish top 20 of the Euro QS at this point, let alone win a tour card.

Sparidaans is a weird one...in his mid-20s but plays like a random Dev Tour 19-year-old, as likely to average 96 in a match as 72. Talent might be there, not sure if he'll ever manage to harness it.

Telnekes is already 23, too, but seems to be just starting out above national level if DDB is to be trusted. Some good results for somebody who's in his first year of BDO/WDF-ranked tournaments. Perhaps a long-term project, but might well be the best of these guys in the end.

De Zwaan would kill em all. Except for maybe Yoeri if he's up to his eyeballs on something he shouldn't be.

Since Barney, MVG, Klaasen and VvdV, which Dutch players have gone from a Lakeside to the PDC and broken into the PDC Top 32?
I can think of Stompe and Benito. Noppert looks likely to be the end of the line, an iconic line. A bit sad in a way. Pretending to give a fuck, you know.
not a girl

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:53 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:I was thinking that if the CT went to a points system rather than cash, then maybe the non tour card holders could earn points for the ET qualifying events, as can the Uk based players in the UK qualifiers. Then at least players who miss a CT weekend wont get shafted so much like Cammie did as he would still be gaining points in the events he has qualified for.
Not sure there is a good resolution for this but as the game grows it will be more of a problem
Yeah, the schedule is just too packed. IMHO the only real solution in the long run would be to demote the Dev Tour to third tier status below the CT, and play those on the same weekends. That might free up enough dates so that these lower-tier events could be played in weeks that don't have Pro tour tournaments at all.

More generally the Dev Tour really should be the kind of thing whose success leads to its own demise eventually. Once you have several dozen young players who can hold their own against the old farts on the CT, there's no point in them battling against spotty 18-year-olds anymore. At that point the tour will either need to be scrapped, or demoted as per above.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Rogg wrote:

De Zwaan would kill em all. Except for maybe Yoeri if he's up to his eyeballs on something he shouldn't be.

Since Barney, MVG, Klaasen and VvdV, which Dutch players have gone from a Lakeshite to the PDC and broken into the PDC Top 32?
I can think of Stompe and Benito. Noppert looks likely to be the end of the line, an iconic line. A bit sad in a way. Pretending to give a fuck, you know.
Dekker has an outside chance and Kist a very slim outside chance but that is it.
The Dutch players confuse the hell out of me, as they show so much promise in the early stages of their career and somewhere along the line it goes tits up.
It is almost as if they lose interest if they don't make it overnight. Very odd

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:08 am

Zeyes wrote:
tungsten tossers wrote:I was thinking that if the CT went to a points system rather than cash, then maybe the non tour card holders could earn points for the ET qualifying events, as can the Uk based players in the UK qualifiers. Then at least players who miss a CT weekend wont get shafted so much like Cammie did as he would still be gaining points in the events he has qualified for.
Yeah, the schedule is just too packed. IMHO the only real solution in the long run would be to demote the Dev Tour to third tier status below the CT, and play those on the same weekends. That might free up enough dates so that these lower-tier events could be played in weeks that don't have Pro tour tournaments at all.

More generally the Dev Tour really should be the kind of thing whose success leads to its own demise eventually. Once you have several dozen young players who can hold their own against the old farts on the CT, there's no point in them battling against spotty 18-year-olds anymore. At that point the tour will either need to be scrapped, or demoted as per above.
Don't think that'll happen any time soon, especially with 2 DT spaces for Ally Pally compared with 1 for the CT, they're clearly looking to get the youngsters in who have potential rather than players who've had their turn and weren't good enough. The standard is pretty similar too at the business end of events, might not have the Barnards of this world, but the Van den Berghs and De Zwaans are still eligible. Isn't the DT basically a qualifying event for the World Youths as well?
Last edited by thegentle on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:14 am

Fiss Plaps wrote:

I'm surprised there's a continental Development Tour weekend but not one for the Challenge Tour. You would have thought with the introduction of Euro Q-School they'd have arranged one.
You'd have thought the CT weekends that clash with the ET would take place in Germany, wouldn't you? Think it's two of those they've had already, surely those that do make the mad rush back to England aren't going to be playing their best darts. They managed to arrange a DT event around the World Series, so why not do similar for ET events which after all are more important?

PT13

Post by PT13 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Randall wrote:Nobody left worth caring about is there?
Only Durrant really, and perhaps McGeeney.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:08 pm

PT13 wrote:
Randall wrote:Nobody left worth caring about is there?
Only Durrant really, and perhaps McGeeney.
Far more interested in tergouw

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:31 am

What about Unty? He's fairly young and has chucked some pretty good stuff of late

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:15 am

thegentle wrote:What about Unty? He's fairly young and has chucked some pretty good stuff of late
One of the few under 50 left

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:48 am

thegentle wrote:What about Unty? He's fairly young and has chucked some pretty good stuff of late
He was mentioned up the thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8169#p783856

We've had young Germans in Euro and PC finals this year for the first time so he doesn't seem as precious a prospect as he otherwise might have, but still good.
not a girl

a massive zebra

Post by a massive zebra » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Who cares? There is only one good player left in the BDO and he has made it clear he will not be switching.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:17 pm

a massive zebra wrote:Who cares? There is only one good player left in the BDO and he has made it clear he will not be switching.
When has Mitchell said this?
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE