"Switchers" Watch 2018/19

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

"Switchers" Watch 2018/19

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:13 pm

After more huge news for darts players everywhere yesterday...

What ones will be off? Could it be Big ahh sod it.

McGeeney has signed up with a new company and is talking the talk, has said he'll play PDC one day. Is it time?

Will Darius leave it for another century? Unty? Spirograph? The remains of Reynolds? Kenny? Will Yozza persuade Jimbo?

Hopes? Fears? Anyone give a quarter of a fuck anymore? Plenty of room on the Challenge Tour for all.
not a girl

The Thorn

Re: "Switchers" Watch 2018/19

Post by The Thorn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:16 pm

I still have a little hope De Vos jumps ship. Other than that I couldn't really give a fuck.

I'm more interested in the women to be honest. Also depends on whether they really get a separate PDC tour or just remain on the Challenge Tour.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Nobody left worth caring about is there?

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:21 pm

I was looking at the Mushroom rankings last night and it is hard to find anyone that might make it
I would like to see Van Tergouw give it a go but I think the likes of veensta, harms, de vos, Reynolds, Williams etc will not have the balls
Maybe Unty?

http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/Rankings ... Key=3&pg=1

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Tergouw has already dipped his toe in? He will be over sooner or later.
Unty has been playing the euro tour so almost certain.
As for Williams, meh.

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:25 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:I was looking at the Mushroom rankings last night and it is hard to find anyone that might make it
I would like to see Van Tergouw give it a go but I think the likes of veensta, harms, de vos, Reynolds, Williams etc will not have the balls
Maybe Unty?

Looking at that list, I think the likes of Mandigers, Telnekes, Baetens, Sparidaans and Kenny to name some that haven't been named yet should at least try.

Maybe Conan could attempt to get a Tour Card again.

The rest: doubtful at best.

Also: Spineless at 33rd :pointing:
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote:
tungsten tossers wrote:I was looking at the Mushroom rankings last night and it is hard to find anyone that might make it
Maybe Unty?

Looking at that list, I think the likes of Mandigers, Telnekes, Baetens, Sparidaans and Kenny to name some that haven't been named yet should at least try.

Maybe Conan could attempt to get a Tour Card again.

The rest: doubtful at best.

Also: Spineless at 33rd :pointing:
If the Dutch and Belgians give it a go then Euro QS is going to be even tougher than this year
There will probably be more Germans, 17 Rodríguez boys, 3 van den berghs plus all the others that tried this year. Going to be very interesting.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Comments by McGeeney in January, and he has since signed for a new company ( https://dartsnews.com/mcgeeney-signs-wi ... -the-moon/ ) and is talking what sounds like PDC talk. 46 this month, does not especially have time to waste.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/42578614
McGeeney faces three-time BDO world champion Martin Adams in the first round on Saturday, but has not ruled out leaving the organisation depending on his performance at Lakeshite.

"It's something I've thought about and I'd never rule it out. My focus for now is going to be on Martin Adams at Lakeshite but after that you never know," he continued.

"I think one day I will switch to the PDC (Professional Darts Corporation) because that is the future of darts as far as I'm concerned."
not a girl

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Stop upsetting the Shrooms fellas, they have had enough to deal with the past few days. :D

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Mabbsy wrote:Stop upsetting the Shrooms fellas, they have had enough to deal with the past few days. :D
Great isn't it. :mrgreen:

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:53 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Maybe Unty?
Think it might be another year until he goes. From what I've read he does have his eyes on the PDC but he wants to make sure he's fully prepared, not standard of play wise but all the ancillary matters required to turn pro properly (kinda like Noppert did).

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:53 pm

As for the rest...

I suspect McGeeney is indeed switching soon. He just plain wasn't that good for the longest time, but something seems to have clicked for him over the last year and a half or so. He probably wouldn't be contending for any titles in the PDC, but I don't think he's mushroom-for-life, and in any case Durrant is in his way as far as becoming the next BDO standardbearer is concerned, so that's not really a promising option (assuming the BDO even continues to offer 100k in January). I'd put him in the same class as somebody like James Wilson, who didn't seem to have any regrets when he did leave.

Baetens has the right mentality I think, just needs a lot more polish which he won't get playing in the BDO so I hope he moves soon. Veenstra has his moments and is probably good enough to be at least top 64 worthy, but I'm not sure he's full-time pro material.

Labanauskas - who knows. Has said he wants to win the Lakeside, but he might be seeing the writing on the wall, and if he's in line to qualify for the PDC Worlds this year he just might go.
Last edited by Zeyes on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Have things clicked or has anyone decent just left?
Somebody has to be in the finals.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:01 pm

Reynolds, after turning down a card having ripped apart the 2016 Development Tour. He was easily keeping company with people like Payne, Dimitri, Lennon and De Zwaan on that tour. It's almost sad.

Interesting to see some of the DT finals that year btw, Dimitri-Lennon and Cadby-De Zwaan: http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/Tourname ... rnKey=1028

not a girl

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:08 pm

Seems that a bloke in poor health is considering standing against Des for the poison chalice of running the BDO. Des being thrown under the bus for the WDT methinks.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Randall wrote:Have things clicked or has anyone decent just left?
Somebody has to be in the finals.
I'd say McGeeney used to be generic mid-80s fodder, but he's (dare I say it) matured into a fairly consistent 90+ player of late. That's nothing special relative to what he'll need to do in the PDC, of course, and less than what Durrant is capable of, but I think he's demonstrated that there's something to work with there. McGeeney's biggest issue seems to be with closing out matches under pressure, and that's something he'll only learn properly in the PDC. (Or not, but he'll never find out if he doesn't try.)

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 pm

McGeeney? Looks certain to switch unless he wins Lakeside.

Duzza? No chance.

Mitchell, Harms and Warty? All unlikely.

The rest? Will probably give Q School a go if possible.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 pm

Zeyes wrote:
tungsten tossers wrote: Maybe Unty?
Think it might be another year until he goes. From what I've read he does have his eyes on the PDC but he wants to make sure he's fully prepared, not standard of play wise but all the ancillary matters required to turn pro properly (kinda like Noppert did).
Good info. In the meantime I'd like someone to wangle him into the Slam as wdt runner-up.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:33 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote:
Maybe Unty?

Nick Kenny said on a podcast last year that he intends to move over eventually. He has played the Dev Tour.
Jeffrey Spirograph said similar a while back too.

Don't think I've ever known the others in that list make a comment on the subject. Baetens seems the most interesting of the five and is another I'd like to see at the Slam. Well I wouldn't, but if there must be mushrooms, let's have the promising youthful few.
not a girl

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Rogg (I think it was) already mentioned during the Trophy how bare the NDB cupboard seems to be these days. Feels strange to think that Harms might again be the best they have now. As for the others (I already mentioned Veenstra above):

I don't rate Mandigers to be honest, nor Landman, both look like guys who have back-end of the 128 tour cards upside at best. Not sure I'd expect either of them to even finish top 20 of the Euro QS at this point, let alone win a tour card.

Sparidaans is a weird one...in his mid-20s but plays like a random Dev Tour 19-year-old, as likely to average 96 in a match as 72. Talent might be there, not sure if he'll ever manage to harness it.

Telnekes is already 23, too, but seems to be just starting out above national level if DDB is to be trusted. Some good results for somebody who's in his first year of BDO/WDF-ranked tournaments. Perhaps a long-term project, but might well be the best of these guys in the end.

Is Yoeri Duijster still a thing? No results on DDB since February.