The Greatest Show on Mighty Mike's Green Earth 2019 (Dec 13 - Jan 1)

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
tungsten tossers

Re: Massive PDC Worlds Changes Announced - 96 players!

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:40 pm

there must be a lot of tour card holders who probably thought that they would not be there this year now rubbing their hands together.
If you look at the pro tour rankings there are plenty of players who would have needed a miracle to have got in but are now pretty much safe.
As someone mentioned earlier, the tour card is now like a Golden Ticket for these players.

QS numbers will be very interesting next year

110 hours of Sky TV coverage too

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:31 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:there must be a lot of tour card holders who probably thought that they would not be there this year now rubbing their hands together.
If you look at the pro tour rankings there are plenty of players who would have needed a miracle to have got in but are now pretty much safe.
As someone mentioned earlier, the tour card is now like a Golden Ticket for these players.

QS numbers will be very interesting next year

110 hours of Sky TV coverage too
If these changes don't encourage the other lot to even attempt Q-School, nothing ever will.

The mushroom mindset of remaining stagnant with no drive to better yourself against consistently superior opposition is something I'll never understand.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:38 pm

Fantastic..
Both Canada and the USA will be represented after two years of one or the other absent from this tournament.
Finally, A real and meaningful World Championship again!

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:54 pm

96 shooters is great news.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:03 am

Fiss Plaps wrote:If these changes don't encourage the other lot to even attempt Q-School, nothing ever will.
To put it in perspective, around half the tour card holders will be getting more money just by qualifying for the Worlds and the PC Finals than Durrant got for winning the Trophy the other day.

We've reached the point where winning the Lakeside £100k is basically the only way to come out ahead in annual winnings by playing BDO instead of PDC.

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:22 am

the new schedule of the participants having to throw only one match per day (except for the initial day) is huge, mentally speaking.
for viewing purposes, it makes sense too.
get to tune in twice if your qualifier wins his first cuz he'll be back on another day instead of up again later in the session.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:26 am

Zeyes wrote:
Fiss Plaps wrote:If these changes don't encourage the other lot to even attempt Q-School, nothing ever will.
To put it in perspective, around half the tour card holders will be getting more money just by qualifying for the Worlds and the PC Finals than Durrant got for winning the Trophy the other day.

We've reached the point where winning the Lakeshite £100k is basically the only way to come out ahead in annual winnings by playing BDO instead of PDC.
Exactly, and Duzza and McGeeney can milk this for a few years between them and then earn more money doing exbos, along with the old farts like Wolfe, fitton and O'Shea than they can playing the tournaments.
The rest of the players earn fuck all. When you look at the career earnings of players like Veenstra 47k, Williams 57k, Reynolds 64k and Mandigers 37k and compare that to the lower ranked pro tour players like Dobey 154k, Ron the Bomb 111k, Josh Payne 143k, Alcinas 129k and these players have many years left to increase their earnings. Even Devon Peterson is on 148k
Looking at the Mushroom rankings though it is hard to see who would make it out of QS.
I would like to see Van Tergouw give it a go but other than that no one jumps out

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:54 am

Anyone know if the Seeds money will go on the OOM if they lose their first game?
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:05 am

Captain Hobo wrote:Anyone know if the Seeds money will go on the OOM if they lose their first game?
It appears so, Bazza has mentioned it's not like a Euro Tour event. Think we're best off treating round 1 as the 'preliminary round'

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:18 am

thegentle wrote:
Captain Hobo wrote:Anyone know if the Seeds money will go on the OOM if they lose their first game?
It appears so, Bazza has mentioned it's not like a Euro Tour event. Think we're best off treating round 1 as the 'preliminary round'
Makes sense as the First Round get a guaranteed 7.5k

Going from 10 to 15k will be a boost for some of the cloggers though.

Also why don't they have 4 First Round games on Day 1, then no-one has to play twice.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 am

Chizzyfan wrote:Let's go mad. Alex Roy could make it back. Maybe even Adrian Grey. Perhaps Hannes Schnier. How could I forget Special Brew! Who will qualify? Nobody knows.
This year Roy can't make it, he's not playing on any PDC circuit aside from the UK Open qualifiers. Next year perhaps?

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:42 am

Captain Hobo wrote:Also why don't they have 4 First Round games on Day 1, then no-one has to play twice.
The defending champ traditionally plays on Night 1.

But the greater principle is to make sure that every session involves a seed.
not a girl

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:58 am

Rogg wrote:
Captain Hobo wrote:Also why don't they have 4 First Round games on Day 1, then no-one has to play twice.

Fair enough, not like the unseeded player would have much chance against Cross anyway.

However I really don't think every session needs a seed.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:04 am

tungsten tossers wrote:there must be a lot of tour card holders who probably thought that they would not be there this year now rubbing their hands together.
Which means consequences for the tour card race too if you can spot them! Nicho seems to have had a tidy provisional boost in his hopes of keeping his card.

Weekly Dartscast @WeeklyDartscast
And here's the provisional post-Ally Pally rankings, with minimum money added to tentative TV qualifiers.
Cadby, de Zwaan, Noppert, Clemens all in line to move into the top 64 after just one year.

not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:08 am

Captain Hobo wrote:
Rogg wrote:

Fair enough, not like the unseeded player would have much chance against Cross anyway.

Personally I don't need that but Baz says on the twatterz: "still need a top player in every session for the punters."
not a girl

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am

Rogg wrote:
Captain Hobo wrote:
Rogg wrote:

Personally I don't need that but Baz says on the twatterz: "still need a top player in every session for the punters."
Not on Twatter but if I was I would point out that not every seed is a 'top player'

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:19 am

skweezit wrote:Fantastic..
Both Canada and the USA will be represented after two years of one or the other absent from this tournament.
Finally, A real and meaningful World Championship again!
L D Irete @DartpromoterLDI 11h
@MattPorter_PDC Thank you and the entire PDC for your belief, trust and opportunity you've giving to the Championship Darts Circuit @champdarts. All of North America's darting communities are celebrating today. #letthejourneycontinue

Now the PDC should keep a place on their site linking to all the various tours and tables that feed players into this phenomenon. They are all over the web man. I've lost the German Superleague table hundreds of times. Is it James Wade?
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:35 am

Captain Hobo wrote:
Rogg wrote:
Captain Hobo wrote:
Rogg wrote:

Not on Twatter but if I was I would point out that not every seed is a 'top player'
It was just a quick way of saying there'll be a very recognisable face in each session I suppose, like a PL player. Ticket buyers might feel a bit let down otherwise.

Although for a lot of us the ProTour 32 will be more interesting than the seeds anyway, in many cases. If it's Noppert, De Zwaan, Dimitri, Hopp, Nicholson, Cadby, Schindler, Lennon, Dobey, Clemens... not bad.
not a girl

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:44 am

Yeah, I think it wouldn't really be difficult to find a recognizable player among the Pro Tour qualifiers - doesn't even have to be one of the young up and coming guys, usually there will be some "name" players who used to be top 32, too.

The defending champion issue could be resolved by having an afternoon session on the first day so that his opponent could play his prelim match there, but understandably that's not going to happen with the event starting in mid-week. Personally I think it's a silly tradition anyway, and as long as they announce it with the start of the ticket sales they could have Cross play on any other night.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:49 am

Rogg wrote:
Captain Hobo wrote:
Rogg wrote:

Not on Twatter but if I was I would point out that not every seed is a 'top player'[/quote]
It was just a quick way of saying there'll be a very recognisable face in each session I suppose, like a PL player. Ticket buyers might feel a bit let down otherwise.

Although for a lot of us the ProTour 32 will be more interesting than the seeds anyway, in many cases. If it's Noppert, De Zwaan, Dimitri, Hopp, Nicholson, Cadby, Schindler, Lennon, Dobey, Clemens... not bad.[/quote]

Reckon they'll defo put some of those hot shots from the tour on the same night as Pipe. The punters will come for MvG even if he's on the same night as Dolan, Barnard, the Chinese and Indian qualifiers and the two women, but God help us if Pipe has to be the main attraction