Premier League 2019

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
bullseye

Re: Premier League 2019

Post by bullseye » Thu May 23, 2019 10:05 pm

Cross.....no fucking spine.

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Thu May 23, 2019 10:05 pm

the bald guys were the best.
I remember when the fat guys always seemed to win everything.
times change.

bullseye

Post by bullseye » Thu May 23, 2019 10:06 pm

Bald and fat

miguelking

Post by miguelking » Thu May 23, 2019 10:18 pm

Cross shite again a trend

miguelking

Post by miguelking » Thu May 23, 2019 10:19 pm

Crowd really fucking flat. Need to play over seas more

JH01

Post by JH01 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Well well well. Who'd a thunk it? 3 months of fannying about and putting off the inevitable baldie Dutch twats victory parade. I would do away with the Premier League, goes on for too long, big name players aren't that bigger than the rest anymore, and you know who'll win it in the end.

Bennett

Post by Bennett » Thu May 23, 2019 11:35 pm

Cross not good enough when it mattered. You never saw MVG losing that game.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:41 pm

Cross never had this problem with van Gerwen a couple of years ago. Even when Cross lost virtually every time before the 2018 World Championship semi final, he tested van Gerwen and made him fight hard, hardly ever missing key scores and doubles and it would usually be moments of brilliance from van Gerwen for him to win those matches, whereas in their more recent matches Cross seems to get a bit of a battering and misses those key moments as van Gerwen canters some way below his best form. Cross is doing well in many ways. If he can find a way to get into van Gerwen like he was doing 2 years ago, he's in great shape going forward.

Van Gerwen has a hunger to win that no other active player today has, especially on the biggest occasions. He considers the Premier League to be the second biggest tournament (I don't), so he was ready to really deliver the wins tonight. Wade really fluffed his lines, I'm afraid.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri May 24, 2019 12:22 am

PT13 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:41 pm Cross never had this problem with van Gerwen a couple of years ago. Even when Cross lost virtually every time before the 2018 World Championship semi final, he tested van Gerwen and made him fight hard, hardly ever missing key scores and doubles and it would usually be moments of brilliance from van Gerwen for him to win those matches, whereas in their more recent matches Cross seems to get a bit of a battering and misses those key moments as van Gerwen canters some way below his best form. Cross is doing well in many ways. If he can find a way to get into van Gerwen like he was doing 2 years ago, he's in great shape going forward.

Van Gerwen has a hunger to win that no other active player today has, especially on the biggest occasions. He considers the Premier League to be the second biggest tournament (I don't), so he was ready to really deliver the wins tonight. Wade really fluffed his lines, I'm afraid.
Good post. Out of interest apart from the worlds what do you consider bigger than the Premier league? You could argue the match play. The premier league has got bigger and imo is certainly in the top 3 events.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

PT13

Post by PT13 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:33 am

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:22 am
PT13 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:41 pm Cross never had this problem with van Gerwen a couple of years ago. Even when Cross lost virtually every time before the 2018 World Championship semi final, he tested van Gerwen and made him fight hard, hardly ever missing key scores and doubles and it would usually be moments of brilliance from van Gerwen for him to win those matches, whereas in their more recent matches Cross seems to get a bit of a battering and misses those key moments as van Gerwen canters some way below his best form. Cross is doing well in many ways. If he can find a way to get into van Gerwen like he was doing 2 years ago, he's in great shape going forward.

Good post. Out of interest apart from the worlds what do you consider bigger than the Premier league? You could argue the match play. The premier league has got bigger and imo is certainly in the top 3 events.
I think the World Matchplay is the second biggest darts tournament. I don't like the Premier League as much as I once did, but I also think similar with the Grand Slam of Darts and even more so with the World Grand Prix. I liked the Premier League best with its 2007-2012 format of 8 players and no relegation, but I have to concede that the challengers format was an unexpected success this year so they'll probably continue that on.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Fri May 24, 2019 12:58 am

PT13 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:41 pm whereas in their more recent matches Cross seems to get a bit of a battering and misses those key moments as van Gerwen canters some way below his best form.
As my grand pappy use to say, beat a dog long enough, and eventually he runs with his tail between his legs when you just shake a switch at him.

Still think PL is one of the top titles. Only the best of the best, or arguably the best of the best are in it. It is only 10 players and you basically have to work your ass off for 2 years to be in a decent part of the rankings to get in (Caveat: Hair Plug Postmen Barney). Or an invitation that more than likely comes because you win something or have a really good year (Caveat: again Barney) .

I agree with some on here that are saying it is too long. OTOH it is a money maker, and lets face it the duration was getting a bit stale and they shook it up with the contenders. But I only see that working once, maybe twice. I think PDC got lucky with the idea or Sky or who ever it was. I think they do the same thing with the same players a dozen times they don't get the same quality of play out of that group. It was a one off and lets be honest none of them won, but most did play very well.

I prefer using only 8 and the shorter season and lets make this thing completely based on merit. I admit this year of PL isn't leaving me with an instant hunger to see more of it. Of course by November I will be singing a different tune as the pain of this year PL will be long forgotten.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Fri May 24, 2019 1:07 am

JH01 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 pm ...3 months of fannying about and putting off .. the end.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

bullseye

Post by bullseye » Fri May 24, 2019 5:41 am

Cross is a beaten man when he faces the Dutch twat.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri May 24, 2019 4:44 pm

PT13 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:33 am I liked the Premier League best with its 2007-2012 format of 8 players and no relegation, but I have to concede that the challengers format was an unexpected success this year so they'll probably continue that on.
Nice to see somebody who keeps their mind open.

I think it was a splendid bit of innovation which I hope they stick with in some form as it made the first 9 weeks bright and enjoyable. I drifted after that.
not a girl

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Finals night was a dud.

But overall, the PL was decent this year. I enjoyed the Challengers format.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri May 24, 2019 5:11 pm

Rogg wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:44 pm
PT13 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:33 am I liked the Premier League best with its 2007-2012 format of 8 players and no relegation, but I have to concede that the challengers format was an unexpected success this year so they'll probably continue that on.
Nice to see somebody who keeps their mind open.

I think it was a splendid bit of innovation which I hope they stick with in some form as it made the first 9 weeks bright and enjoyable. I drifted after that.
No matter what the format or who is playing as it goes on it just gets a bit samey.

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Fri May 24, 2019 5:12 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:46 pm Finals night was a dud.

But overall, the PL was decent this year. I enjoyed the Challengers format.
Stopped watching after Gurney fucked up. The challengers format was good, still dragged on for me. With so many tournaments available to watch, this is my least favourite every week becomes a grind would be better spread across the year!

Potter's Lake

Post by Potter's Lake » Fri May 24, 2019 5:20 pm

The washed-up has-been failure made another final then. Shame about the clown genes.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 pm

Uncle Barrington on the possibility of running a Contender series within the Premier League.
‘The contenders gave eight youngsters, or relative youngsters I know John Henderson isn’t a youngster, to show their wares and I think it ended up being one of the better ideas we’ve ever had,’ said Hearn.

‘It will be on the agenda of the next PDC board meeting and I’m pretty sure it will be unanimously accepted again.

‘There’s a school of thought, a possibility that the first section of the Premier League, we’ll do the contenders, and the second section those contenders play-off among themselves as a contender series within the Premier League, with the winner getting a Premier League spot.’

‘We’ve got to constantly evolve and we can’t get complacent,’ the chairman continued. ‘We know that in darts, we’ve created a monster a global success story, it’s been phenomenal.

‘But we can’t stop there, we’ve got to keep pushing the boundaries, we’ve got to innovate, take risks and we will do that to achieve our objective of making these guys household names.

‘What we’ve seen this year, which is really quite dramatic, is the Sky ratings have gone through the f*****g roof.

‘I’m not sure if we had a really s**t year last year, I don’t remember, I can’t recall it, but we’ve been anywhere between 20% and 80% up week on week, which in today’s declining lineal market, it doesn’t happen.’
https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/29/barry-he ... iN124-BuUg
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu May 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Don't see any issue with the play off suggestion