Unibet World Grand Prix 2018 (Sept 30-Oct 6)

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: Unibet World Grand Prix 2018 (Sept 30-Oct 6)

Post by Rogg » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:45 am

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:Hard to square away the wright from 0-3 down against mensur to the guy who just gave up last night are the same person.
3rd dart aimed at bull just pathetic.
Doubly painful given that mvg was absolute dog shit.
Also hard to square the Suljovic who wilted against Wright with the Suljovic who immaculately kept his foot down against Anderson in the Matchplay final under far greater strain over far greater distance.

Then there's the Wright at the Champions League who at the interval went in 5-2(?) down to MVG who was averaging 110 but his head didn't drop for one second and he stormed back to win.

It is hard and painful.
They feed off each other no doubt. One is good, the other is.
Last night wright could see it was his for the taking and he must have tensed up because of it, which led to frustration at his performance which just made it worse.
Absolutely. Nothing new, I remember loads of times when people went through the same thing against Taylor. Shitting themselves in shock at what's fallen into their hands. Scholten, Manley, Mardle, Priestley, Painter, all leading players, all cunts. Watching the main man getting away with it is sickening, particularly in a final.
not a girl

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:46 am

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:Hard to square away the wright from 0-3 down against mensur to the guy who just gave up last night are the same person.
3rd dart aimed at bull just pathetic.
Doubly painful given that mvg was absolute dog shit.
Also hard to square the Suljovic who wilted against Wright with the Suljovic who immaculately kept his foot down against Anderson in the Matchplay final under far greater strain over far greater distance.

Then there's the Wright at the Champions League who at the interval went in 5-2(?) down to MVG who was averaging 110 but his head didn't drop for one second and he stormed back to win.

It is hard and painful.
They feed off each other no doubt. One is good, the other is.
Last night wright could see it was his for the taking and he must have tensed up because of it, which led to frustration at his performance which just made it worse.
It seems to be a final thing with him and MvG. The CL was a semi and he has done it in the PL.
It is when he plays MvG in a final that he chokes..

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:51 am

Cross seems to have been a false dawn.
Not convinced by Smith.
White, Whitlock just forget it.
Game desperately needs someone to break through
De zwaan definitely looks the one, this week just a blip in his progress hopefully.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:06 pm

Randall wrote:Cross seems to have been a false dawn.
Not convinced by Smith.
De zwaan definitely looks the one, this week just a blip in his progress hopefully.
Maybe we expected too much from the debutantes..
A weird format for them to play and apart from JdZ first round none of them excited us.
I expected more drama in the first couple of rounds and a piss poor crowd didn't help.
Maybe time for a change of venue

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:10 pm

The adjustment from double to treble seemed much worse this year from everyone.
Last night wright was in 1 and 5 so much 2nd and 3rd dart when he did get in 1st dart.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:21 pm

Not convinced by Smith.
How on earth do you expect anybody to satisfy your definition of 'new blood' in a world where you want to describe the 20-odd year old current world champion as 'a false dawn'?
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Rogg wrote:
Not convinced by Smith.
How on earth do you expect anybody to satisfy your definition of 'new blood' in a world where you want to describe the 20-odd year old current world champion as 'a false dawn'?
I'm an unreasonable bastard clearly!

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:
Not convinced by Smith.
I'm an unreasonable bastard clearly!
I wouldn't bother with the game at all if I had it clamped in that kind of attitude.

There are loads of players that I enjoy watching and enjoyment surely is the point. Hopp and Noppert winning last weekend was nice and I hope they get plenty more time in the sun but I don't require anybody to look likely to go on a Taylor grade rampage for a quarter of a century in order to enjoy following their progress.

The Youth Tour was founded when Adrian Lewis was world champ (guesswork - anyone?). I'd give the PDC emphasis on youth a few more years, just to be reasonable like. Unless you seriously believe they are not in the business of finding new blood.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:05 pm

Someone just needs to get Dimitri motivated for the floor and all will suddenly be well.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Not convinced by Smith.
I would give Cross and De Zwaan a bit more time. I agree about Smith, but he could do an Adi Lewis by suddenly clicking into gear and becoming an elite player. Whitlock and White have probably reached their ceiling.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Randall wrote:Someone just needs to get Dimitri motivated for the floor and all will suddenly be well.
I'd like to motivate Dimitri.

If Wright had missed that last dart D1 against Mensur at 0-3, or was it 1-3, I reckons there's a more than fair chance that Mensur would be World Grand Prix champ now. Clownin would be back in the clinic and everyone would be reflecting on what a charming ending it all was and how MVG can't get the job done anymore because the pack has closed in. All would look more rosy.

What we did get still wasn't even in the Top 10 of the most depressing PDC TV finals for me. There's a thread. The first 5 sets were an entertaining mystery I thought, tho this is a major final not a Poirot. The final 2 sets, sick everywhere. Horrendous.
not a girl

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:Someone just needs to get Dimitri motivated for the floor and all will suddenly be well.

If Wright had missed that last dart D1 against Mensur at 0-3, or was it 1-3, I reckons there's a more than fair chance that Mensur would be World Grand Prix champ now. Clownin would be back in the clinic and everyone would be reflecting on what a charming ending it all was and how MVG can't get the job done anymore because the pack has closed in. All would look more rosy.

What we did get still wasn't even in the Top 10 of the most depressing PDC TV finals for me. There's a thread. The first 5 sets were an entertaining mystery I thought, but this is a major final not a Poirot. The final 2 sets, sick everywhere. Horrendous.
No, you got that wrong, Mensur is Clownin's favourite player apparently

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Rogg wrote:

What we did get still wasn't even in the Top 10 of the most depressing PDC TV finals for me. There's a thread. The first 5 sets were an entertaining mystery I thought, tho this is a major final not a Poirot. The final 2 sets, sick everywhere. Horrendous.
Have to say at the time I was more annoyed at Mensur's semi-final defeat last year, I thought that was a much more winnable game, turns out Mensur did indeed throw away the chance to be World Grand Prix champion two years running

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:03 pm

thegentle wrote:
Rogg wrote:

Have to say at the time I was more annoyed at Mensur's semi-final defeat last year, I thought that was a much more winnable game, turns out Mensur did indeed throw away the chance to be World Grand Prix champion two years running
Even the more baffling given that this should be a format for Mensur to flourish
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Not convinced by Smith.
If you put it like that, sure, the top of the game is a little stagnant at the moment, but I wouldn't write off Cross or Smith at all. Cross is looking very snatchy, I think that's more the pressure telling that anything, I think he'll be fine next year if he no longer has the tag of world champion around him. Smith hasn't got the results of late, some of that is poor form, but he's also had some tough draws too. It's still been a breakthrough year for him with his performances in the PL and the WS, and sure they're 'exbos', but they're still big moments in his career.
De Zwaan is gonna be a star, I'm certain of that. So will Cadby, as long as he can actually base himself in the UK, so that's 4 20-somethings who could stick around at the top for a long time

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:15 pm

The Thorn wrote:
thegentle wrote:
Rogg wrote:

Even the more baffling given that this should be a format for Mensur to flourish
Well it's still his best major really, even if he hasn't made a final yet. It's just one of those things, even the steeliest of players occasionally get rattled and shit the bed

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:33 pm

I just think the PDC is in transition Taylor Retiring, Barney Past his best nd Ando winding down.

Looking at the OoM from 2013 has its fair share of Cloggers in the top 16. I think the likes of Gurney and Smith will be outside the top 16 within 5 Years

1 Taylor, Phil England £756,100
2 Lewis, Adrian England £359,100
3 Wade, James England £335,500
4 van Gerwen, Michael Netherlands £324,300
5 Whitlock, Simon Australia £274,000
6 Hamilton, Andy England £242,500
7 Newton, Wes England £237,400
8 van Barneveld, Raymond Netherlands £193,800
9 Chisnall, Dave England £185,000
10 Pipe, Justin England £184,400
11 Anderson, Gary Scotland £160,900
12 Painter, Kevin England £155,200
13 King, Mervyn England £150,300
14 Nicholson, Paul Australia £143,900
15 Thornton, Robert Scotland £141,200
16 Jenkins, Terry England £140,700

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:39 pm

Easy to have rose tinted glasses.
That does look bleak.

BeppeBergomi

Post by BeppeBergomi » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Not convinced by Smith.
What happened to Cadby?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:02 pm

BeppeBergomi wrote:
Not convinced by Smith.
What happened to Cadby?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Won't let him out of Australia