2018 World Series of Darts

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Randall
Site Admin

Re: 2018 World Series of Darts

Post by Randall » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:08 pm

Mabbsy wrote:
Randall wrote:Fair to say Taylor had two peaks.
Certainly not 07 when he was far from his best.
The second period would have been 2009-2013 I guess.
Easy to forget how good he was around the turn of the century. 8 world championships in a row, hammered Barney in every cross code match up going, the grand prix performances were particularly brutal.
Champions game against Burnett and the match play final against warriner other standout performances.
Also got to remember the boards they were playing on.
First peak was arguably 2000-2003 but certain others are better placed to judge.
Only difference between the codes :D
Campervan, toy boards, Robbie Williams etc etc.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:18 pm

cannibal wrote:MvG still young and as such going thru alot of "distractions" young players do, marriage, kids, maturity, fame, etc. Will be interesting to see how he continues to develop as I don't think he has reached his best yet. Otoh philth was a beast of special caliber at his peak, once in a lifetime drive and talent hard to come by. I think MvG has it too, just needs time of personal stability to focus on it much like Taylor had.

Btw what years is the consensus of philths peak? I always think it is about 2007 thru 2012 or so. Before that he was winning gobs but competition wasn't as deep. He seemed to be throwing higher and more avgs then but admit my recollection is biased as I am not a philth fan as much as say PT13 is.
I think you are right about MvG... he seems to be almost bored at times, especially with the non ranking events, PL excluded, as he sees that as a must win tournament. The next six months will show how his year has gone, with GP, GS and worlds which he will want to win.
I don't think he will ever have Phil's dedication to practice as the tour is now so intense but I still think we haven't seen the best of MvG yet. He knows that many players aren't so scared of him now and hopefully that will inspire him to hit the practice boards as he hardly practices between tournaments whereas Phil was totally dedicated to daily pounding of the board.
They are so different that it is hard to compare them at times, almost like comparing Ronnie o Sullivan to Steve Davis. It is good that there are players upping their game against MvG, as tbh not many did against Phil, and were beaten before a dart was thrown. Should be an interesting next 5 months

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:42 pm

miguelking wrote:
Randall wrote:
miguelking wrote:One week MVG unbeatable the next shit. Sums up his year
Taylor of years gone by would have reduced him to Barney levels of despair.
Goat my fucking arse.

Too many shit TV events causes burn out. Having said that MVG only dominated in 2016. In that year he was unbeatable. In the 2017 world champs he was unbeatable no Phil from what ever decade would of beaten him. I got to say I have noticed he has started to "think about the doubles" before he wud just chuck them. His scoring power has slightly faded too.
MVG was untouchable in the semi-final against Barney. However, in the other rounds, a prime version of Taylor would have pushed him hard and possibly beaten him (provided MVG played to the same standard)

Taylor also had performances in his career where he was unbeatable. His form between 2009-2012 in particular was astounding.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

miguelking

Post by miguelking » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Yep interesting next 5 months. I reckon MVG will wake up and win 3/5 of the tv ranking titles. I think he will be world champ come Jan but, Mensur,Ando and De zwaan have a good chance. I got De zwaan at 200/1 and ummmm wattiemeana at 500/1 lol(still reckon this cunt will get better)

miguelking

Post by miguelking » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Surprised Cross is 11/2 for the wc. Cunt has little chance. Smith at 25/1 and sully at 33/1. No cunting way should Cross be ahead on them

Potter's Lake

Post by Potter's Lake » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:56 pm

Shitlock :lol:

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:02 pm

miguelking wrote:Surprised Cross is 11/2 for the wc. Cunt has little chance. Smith at 25/1 and sully at 33/1. No cunting way should Cross be ahead on them
Cross' form has regressed a bit but I'd still have him way ahead of Mensur or Smith. His performances this year haven't been world champion class but still top 4 comfortably.

It takes something special to win a world title, only a select few won at Ally Pally, and Cross has that talent and experience in the locker. At this point, all Mensur and Smith won were non ranking titles. Even though the odds seem all right on them, Cross is still rightly one of the favorites IMO
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:23 pm

I wouldn't have money on anyone beyond mvg or gando but then I'd have said the same last year and neither made final.
Who would have thought Lewis would make last 4?

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 pm

Randall wrote:Fair to say Taylor had two peaks.
Certainly not 07 when he was far from his best.
The second period would have been 2009-2013 I guess.
Easy to forget how good he was around the turn of the century. 8 world championships in a row, hammered Barney in every cross code match up going, the grand prix performances were particularly brutal.
Champions game against Burnett and the match play final against warriner other standout performances.
Also got to remember the boards they were playing on.
First peak was arguably 2000-2003 but certain others are better placed to judge.
Between losing to Manley (sign the board) in the 2008 PL and losing to Lewis in the 2010 Grand Prix, Taylor was Satan. If that wasn't his peak peak then I don't want to know about it.

Mardle geting him at Ally Pally 08 was the end of days. The next time you saw Taylor he'd lost twenty stone and his darts were six inches shorter. Here was a cunt who meant it.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Randall wrote:I wouldn't have money on anyone beyond mvg or gando but then I'd have said the same last year and neither made final.
His performance against Wright was good beyond belief. 107 average?
Surely the only greater miracle than a PDPA qualifier reaching the Ally Pally semis is that it wasn't Dolan.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:14 am

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:I wouldn't have money on anyone beyond mvg or gando but then I'd have said the same last year and neither made final.
Surely the only greater miracle than a PDPA qualifier reaching the Ally Pally semis is that it wasn't Dolan.
Where has he been since?

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:29 am

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:
Where has he been since?
A few decent runs. Where was he before? He had a very hot streak around Christmas and maybe that's him done now. But he's still only 26.
not a girl

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:59 am

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:
Where has he been since?
A few decent runs. Where was he before? He had a very hot streak around Christmas and maybe that's him done now. But he's still only 26.
His Pro Tour form this year is better than it was last year, made a Euro QF. Just needs one or two good runs and start qualifying for Matchplay/ Grand Prix etc, and I think he will reaaly kick on.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:10 am

2018 Brisbane Darts Masters
Draw Bracket
Peter Wright (1) v Justin Thompson
Michael Smith v Raymond Smith
Rob Cross (4) v Tim Pusey
Simon Whitlock v Corey Cadby
Michael van Gerwen (2) v Mark Cleaver
Kyle Anderson v Barry Gardner
Gary Anderson (3) v Damon Heta
Raymond van Barneveld v Gordon Mathers

Hopefully Cadby can get through this time

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Whitlock must have broken a few mirrors to draw cadby twice.

bullseye

Post by bullseye » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Shitlock will stuff Cadbury again hopefully.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:19 pm

bullseye wrote:Shitlock will stuff Cadbury again hopefully.
Hope not, Shitlock is the epitome of boredom and mediocrity. He's number 7 in the world and I still can't recall a single impressive performance from him. Cadby, however big a cunt he is, still a breath of fresh air and can actually play really well.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:20 pm

The Thorn wrote:
Hope not, Shitlock is the epitome of boredom and mediocrity. He's number 7 in the world and I still can't recall a single impressive performance from him. Cadby, however big a cunt he is, still a breath of fresh air and can actually play really well.
The last three rounds of The world's in 2010 he was fantastic, in out after that.

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:54 pm

This.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:42 am

*********SPOILER ALERT*********

BellyBoy out!

'GG' Mathers been in a good paddock, so to speak.