Will James Wade ever win the World Championship?

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO

Will James Wade ever win the World Championship?

Yes
10%
No
90%

Total votes: 49

Robert Ross

Re: Will James Wade ever win the World Championship?

Post by Robert Ross » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:58 am

Robert Ross wrote:
Randall wrote:
Robert Ross wrote:
Randall wrote:OK, who voted yes, and why?
I did.

Taylor gone, Lewis suspended, Wright too busy changing darts, hunchback's health problems (I have faith), cross back to jobber mode, Ando back problems.

Wade is bound to win something this year.
A comment on darts Robert??
Apologies. I forgot to take my medicine the last few days. Won't happen again.
Cancer.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:30 pm

sennafan24 wrote:Even then, he still doesn't stand out from the likes of Barney, Whitlock, Mensur, Gurney, and a few others. In his prime, he would have all of those in his backpocket, as he handles the occasion better than them.
Wade would find a way to win TV tournaments better than them. Wade was about 50/50 in matches with Barney when they were numbers 2 and 3 behind Taylor. Whitlock held his own against Wade years ago, including a few TV wins. What made Wade strong years ago was his reliable knack of finishing well, especially on double 20 and double 10. He knew how to put matches to bed well. That deserted him in 2017, and it hasn't consistently been top notch for 4-5 years, hence declining consistency in recent years and a poor 2017 by his standards.

His form at his best tournament, i.e. the World Matchplay, is curious too. From 2006-2015, he always got to at least the quarter final every time (1 title, 5 final losses, 2 semi final losses, 2 quarter final losses), yet he has lost in the first round in the last 2 years.

Kimmy

Post by Kimmy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:59 pm

PT13 wrote:
sennafan24 wrote:Even then, he still doesn't stand out from the likes of Barney, Whitlock, Mensur, Gurney, and a few others. In his prime, he would have all of those in his backpocket, as he handles the occasion better than them.
Wade would find a way to win TV tournaments better than them. Wade was about 50/50 in matches with Barney when they were numbers 2 and 3 behind Taylor. Whitlock held his own against Wade years ago, including a few TV wins. What made Wade strong years ago was his reliable knack of finishing well, especially on double 20 and double 10. He knew how to put matches to bed well. That deserted him in 2017, and it hasn't consistently been top notch for 4-5 years, hence declining consistency in recent years and a poor 2017 by his standards.

His form at his best tournament, i.e. the World Matchplay, is curious too. From 2006-2015, he always got to at least the quarter final every time (1 title, 5 final losses, 2 semi final losses, 2 quarter final losses), yet he has lost in the first round in the last 2 years.
The use of paragraphs! Strewth!

Sin

Post by Sin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Wade is a mentalist spacker cunt

Limp Wrist

Post by Limp Wrist » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 am

He's gone downhill ever since he married the dolly bird. A speedy divorce and a whole heap of new medication are his best hope of being a challenger again.
Just another refugee from the bad place...

Cross Boi

Post by Cross Boi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Will he ever qualify for another world championship is a better question, mate

Sin

Post by Sin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:10 am

Cross Boi wrote:Will he ever qualify for another world championship is a better question, mate
Probably, might even get put of the 1st round, bit that would be about it

Potter's Lake

Post by Potter's Lake » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:17 pm

Can't believe this thread is less than a year old.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:19 pm

Nobody will want to be in his section for sure.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:27 pm

If a player goes through a loss of form, it's always good to remember what they were capable of at their best, because they could potentially reach it again. If Wade is consistently finishing well, he is a serious contender for any title.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:40 pm

I would love that. Beating Adrian Lewis in the final. In a blizzard (outside).

Felt like he could have maintained today's standard for hours and days longer. If he's on his game he will produce it relentlessly. Only a few weeks away now.
not a girl

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:11 am

I still get the feeling that Wade can only win a major if MvG and Gando get beaten by somebody else.
I have been impressed with the way he has gone about his business over the past seven days but I am not sure he would win a final against MvG or Gando

topofthetops
Location: Not quite sure I think it used to be called England

Post by topofthetops » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Rogg wrote:I would love that. Beating Adrian Lewis in the final. In a blizzard (outside).

Felt like he could have maintained today's standard for hours and days longer. If he's on his game he will produce it relentlessly. Only a few weeks away now.
Wade is a master of just doing the same thing over and over again. He never actually looks like he's playing that well when he in reality is must be horrible to play against. You're spot on mind he looked like he could have kept chipping away scoring ton after ton and hitting double 20/10 in 2 dart combos for all eternity the other night.
Dave Chisnall - 10 years of making the hard part look easy and the easy part look impossible

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:31 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:I still get the feeling that Wade can only win a major if MvG and Gando get beaten by somebody else.
I have been impressed with the way he has gone about his business over the past seven days but I am not sure he would win a final against MvG or Gando
Indeed. MvG and Gando are looking vulnerable though, and whoever beats them would also be liable to have a bad day. In the very possible event of both of them getting knocked out, Wade would quite possibly be favourite

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Wades current form is exactly the kind of pressure building scenario mvg will fold under.

Stran

Post by Stran » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Wade is the man to beat. or lewis, dont forget Lewis

SolidSCB

Post by SolidSCB » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:12 pm

These last 2 tournaments have been won in the most James Wade way imaginable.

Battering a Barney who's first dart was landing a postcode away from the treble 20 and edging past a Michael Smith that suffered anal prolapse at the finishing line doesn't give him any WC credentials for me.

His scoring is still questionable and he'll end up coming up against at least one guy in blistering form on the trebles at the worlds and it'll show over the longer format.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:15 pm

The Worlds is wide open this year.

Wade is one of 5 or 6 players that stand a chance of winning it. That's a 1 in 6 chance at best. Nevertheless, that's a better chance than I would have given him a month ago. I think he's more likely to win it than Wright.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:15 pm

The first event he was pretty lucky, didn't play well.
This weekend at times his scoring and finishing were, well, machine like.

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:21 pm

sennafan24 wrote:The Worlds is wide open this year.

Wade is one of 5 or 6 players that stand a chance of winning it. That's a 1 in 6 chance at best. Nevertheless, that's a better chance than I would have given him a month ago. I think he's more likely to win it than Wright.
Only MvG and Anderson are definitely firmer favourites than wade right now for me. If he played Wright 10 times in tv finals he'd win the lot either you've got it in you or you haven't and wade has. Wright won 1 tv final against a player playing in his first final if he plays anyone with any experience in finals he loses.