Whats in store for the BDO

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Dartfrog

Re: Whats in store for the BDO

Post by Dartfrog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:42 am

You dont take on sports for the short term ESPN have plans you know. Anyway at the moment it seems a good thing, time will tell.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:42 am

M H wrote:It was his life no doubt and in a way I feel sorry for him but there's no need for comments made with vitriol or poor taste. This is a pivotal moment in darting history.
poor taste ?
Lets not kid ourselves.....people might not like to hear it but as bradders said it was his only thing in life and without it he has fuckall.

Will he use what free time he has to try destroy what he claims to have built up...he has already claimed he will pull the plug on the masters.
Or do you or anybody else see him retiring quietly ?? I certainly do not, the man is too bitter to let this go., and it may well be the only thing now keeping him alive.
People might not like this assessment but its a valid one

Starvin

Post by Starvin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:44 am

M H wrote:In the short term I can't see ESPN being bothered as the agreement's in place. I can't see Bob Potter walking away either as he makes a mint out of Lakeside week.
I'm not sure that is strictly true MH. Yes he would make money but the initial outlay is huge and that is dead money untill tickets are sold and people spend at the bar. It wouldn't be a massive mark up of profit though.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 am

Starvin wrote:
M H wrote:The BDO is a company limited by guarantee which in itself means there are no shareholders whereas Enterprises is a company limited by it's share capital. As BDO is the major shareholder of Enterprises it should be straightforward for the new board to pass a resolution removing the existing Enterprises directors and replacing them.
Exactly. But I don’t think Croft has resigned himself to think that this will even happen.
But this must happen and now otherwise the ousting of the BDO board would appear to be pointless. Once that has been done, then the clean sweep is almost complete and a way forward looks much better.
If the new board have any sense they'll be dealing with this today and changing the authorisations on the bank accounts.
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:47 am

Justin Credible wrote:
M H wrote:It was his life no doubt and in a way I feel sorry for him but there's no need for comments made with vitriol or poor taste. This is a pivotal moment in darting history.
poor taste ?
Lets not kid ourselves.....people might not like to hear it but as bradders said it was his only thing in life and without it he has fuckall.

Will he use what free time he has to try destroy what he claims to have built up...he has already claimed he will pull the plug on the masters.
Or do you or anybody else see him retiring quietly ?? I certainly do not, the man is too bitter to let this go., and it may well be the only thing now keeping him alive.
Talking about what he may or may not do is one thing Gaz but talking about his ultimate demise is in poor taste and detracts from the debate on the whole.

He can do nothing about the Masters, he simply hasn't the authority as he'll find out should he try.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:50 am

Starvin wrote:
M H wrote:In the short term I can't see ESPN being bothered as the agreement's in place. I can't see Bob Potter walking away either as he makes a mint out of Lakeside week.
I'm not sure that is strictly true MH. Yes he would make money but the initial outlay is huge and that is dead money untill tickets are sold and people spend at the bar. It wouldn't be a massive mark up of profit though.
In theory Potter doesn't have to pay anything till the final dart's been thrown and the prizes paid out. The event fills his club and hotel for a week it would be sitting empty otherwise, if it wasn't profitable he wouldn't sponsor it.

Dartfrog

Post by Dartfrog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:56 am

M H wrote:
Starvin wrote:
In theory Potter doesn't have to pay anything till the final dart's been thrown and the prizes paid out. The event fills his club and hotel for a week it would be sitting empty otherwise, if it wasn't profitable he wouldn't sponsor it.
Not strictly true Mh, many a Lakeside legend such as Gary Wilmot or Bobby Davro could fill the place that time of year.

Starvin

Post by Starvin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 am

Croft certainly has nothing else because he lives and breathes darts and that keeps him going. He has been massively ill over the last few years, being hospitalised on several occasions. Without any involvement it’s like a bullet to the head.

Starvin

Post by Starvin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:03 am

M H wrote:
Starvin wrote:
All money is in place beforehand. That is an accepted policy because the BBC would not be involved with anything other than cast iron contracts.

There are 2 hotels but the wage bill alone for the hotels and club is huge. Seriously, money is made and business is business, but don't kid yourself that its a massive earner.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:11 am

I'd be surprised if Potter doesn't come out on the right end of the deal Starvin, he must see it as a worthwhile proposition?

Knots & crosses

Post by Knots & crosses » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:31 am

If the wage bill for those hotels is huge, someone's cooking the books.

Starvin

Post by Starvin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:08 am

To run the whole complex (hotels, club, etc) there has to be enough staff to cope with everything including cleaning and maintenance. The electric bill alone is enough to make your eyes water, and his health and safety expenses, insurance, (especially because of the tragedy that happened there) is another added cost.
This is a premium event and nothing can go wrong because of TV. He is running a business right enough and should make a profit. But Potter likes the fact that his club is featured on TV which is worth a mint in free advertising which obviously helps with other things he has there.

Knots & crosses

Post by Knots & crosses » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:29 am

I doubt the electric bill would make my eyes water. His overstaffed payroll might by the sounds of it.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:30 am

M H wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:
poor taste ?

Talking about what he may or may not do is one thing Gaz but talking about his ultimate demise is in poor taste and detracts from the debate on the whole.

He can do nothing about the Masters, he simply hasn't the authority as he'll find out should he try.
How ?
The bdo was his life...no matter how brutal he ran it , he now has nothing and I fear the end is now sooner than it had been prior to his ousting.
At least we can blame adams now for his death when it happens.The one time the spineless one gets a backbone is to hammer a nail in the coffin of an 82 year old.....what a guy adams is.

Knots & crosses

Post by Knots & crosses » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:38 am

Oh fuck off and stop talking nonsense. Croft will pass of old age, not because he was voted off a board, and not because a dart player was voted on.

Either way it has no place on this thread.

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:40 am

Knots & crosses wrote:Oh fuck off and stop talking nonsense. Croft will pass of old age, not because he was voted off a board, and not because a dart player was voted on.

it is hardly nonsense. Old people have been known to die of " a broken heart" when the only thing that means anything to them is taken away from them. In the most case it is their husband/wife, in Olly's case it could well be the BDO.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:40 am

Knots & crosses wrote:Oh fuck off and stop talking nonsense. Croft will pass of old age, not because he was voted off a board, and not because a dart player was voted on.

On the contrary it has every reason......

The way I see it , there is no way olly will just retire peacefully and accept what has happened.There will be 2 options.
He will go quietly or he will fight this tooth and nail til the very bitter end.
If he fights it , then it could be costly in terms of finance, publicity and damaging to whatever integrity they had left.
But to just dismiss it is naive.

Knots & crosses

Post by Knots & crosses » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:42 am

The Ginger Ninja wrote:

it is hardly nonsense. Old people have been known to die of " a broken heart" when the only thing that means anything to them is taken away from them. In the most case it is their husband/wife, in Olly's case it could well be the BDO.
So Adams is responsible for killing him?

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 am

Knots & crosses wrote:
The Ginger Ninja wrote:

I wouldnt go that far, no. Him losing the only thing that means anything to him could perhaps shorten his life, who knows.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Knots & crosses

Post by Knots & crosses » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:46 am

The Ginger Ninja wrote:
Knots & crosses wrote:
The Ginger Ninja wrote:

I wouldnt go that far, no. Him losing the only thing that means anything to him could perhaps shorten his life, who knows.
In that case, blaming Adams is nonsense.

If he dies of a broken heart, it's sad. But it has fuck all to do with this debate.