Cricket legs

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
gcjdavid

Cricket legs

Post by gcjdavid » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:49 am

They seem to be only played in soft tip tournaments. Why aren't they played any more on steel tip?

Randall
Site Admin

Re: Cricket legs

Post by Randall » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:30 am

The bdo still play it I believe

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:31 am

Cricket is shit
Compare it to 501, you're shooting at fewer targets and it just wouldn't appeal to anyone watching. There was a cricket tournament in the PDC once, didn't work.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:35 am

What is the format for cricket? Never have understood it.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:51 am

Randall wrote:What is the format for cricket? Never have understood it.
Targets are 15-20 and bull. Single/25 worth 1 mark, a double 2 marks and a treble 3 marks.
When you already got 3 marks on a target then you can start scoring there.

E.g you hit T20-S20-S20 on your first visit, you get 3 marks on the T20 plus 40 points

You have to get 3 marks on every target AND have more points than your opponent to win the leg.

That's it in a nutshell. A great practice game but not suited for professional darts as you're only shooting at 7 targets

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:10 am

Sounds extremely uninteresting

a massive zebra

Post by a massive zebra » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:28 am

Does anyone know why this is called cricket? Might just be me being dumb but I don't see the connection to the sport or the insect.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:51 am

According to patrician Chaplin that's an American naming of the British version called tactics, he does not know why the Americans call it cricket.
Cannibal? Skweezit? Mr saldaar?

Jungle Jim

Post by Jungle Jim » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:37 pm

The Thorn wrote:
Randall wrote:What is the format for cricket? Never have understood it.
Targets are 15-20 and bull. Single/25 worth 1 mark, a double 2 marks and a treble 3 marks.
When you already got 3 marks on a target then you can start scoring there.

E.g you hit T20-S20-S20 on your first visit, you get 3 marks on the T20 plus 40 points

You have to get 3 marks on every target AND have more points than your opponent to win the leg.

That's it in a nutshell. A great practice game but not suited for professional darts as you're only shooting at 7 targets
Sometimes Cricket is played 12-20. It's a complicated and exciting game above the attention span of most darting fans.

Played at the highest level, it ends up as both a scoring and closing numbers game. You have to weigh the potential value of every dart thrown.

Does anyone know why this is called cricket? Might just be me being dumb but I don't see the connection to the sport or the insect.

Most likely because the British were accustomed to the bat and ball game "Cricket" and it's a similarly technical game.
Some say the name has it's roots in the British lawn game "Croquet" (also technical) but no one knows for sure. :D

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:35 pm

The strategy claims about cricket are usually vastly overblown. In actual practice nearly every top soft-tip player's cricket strategies probably fit on a post-it note (to say nothing of casual players), because they all follow just a tiny set of guidelines. No comparison to the strategic thinking evident in the 501 approach of, say, Whitlock and many Dutch players, who tend to play "smart" shots even above 300 points remaining. (The difference of course is that 501 strategy is largely independent of what your opponent is doing.)

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:37 pm

I've found some soft tip cricket strategies different than steel tip strategy.
from watching, I don't do soft tip.
the closest machine is an hour and a half away.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:13 am

No idea why the yanks call it cricket. I do think most American dart players perceive it as the American darts game and prefer it, all the while not realizing it actually is a British game. Meanwhile the truly American developed darts game called widdies or just American darts languishes in obscurity in the countryside of Pennsylvania and a few other places

I agree with Zeyes evaluation. I find the claims that cricket requires more skill or involves more strategy laughable. These are mostly used by soft tip cunts in a see attempt to legitimize soft tip darts or the skill of the americans
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:21 pm

501 is all offense.
you can strategically employ defense in cricket.

when I first started throwing, our group called it american cricket.

a massive zebra

Post by a massive zebra » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:11 pm

skweezit wrote:501 is all offense.
Not totally. If you require 50 with two darts, surely the offensive option is to go for the bull, yet most people would go S18 D16.

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:27 pm

a massive zebra wrote:
skweezit wrote:501 is all offense.
Not totally. If you require 50 with two darts, surely the offensive option is to go for the bull, yet most people would go S18 D16.
it's just playing odds. both ways are still offensive strategies.

(I'm assuming you're not making a pun)

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:20 pm

skweezit wrote: when I first started throwing, our group called it american cricket.
figures, Americans not realizing that in the UK they don't call it cricket anyways. You can claim cricket has defensive strategies, but doesn't make it a superior game or even a game that has any importance other than a fun way to throw darts for a piss up. Cricket or any '01 game is about probabilities and maximizing chances to finish the game. So it is stupid to imply that one game and not the other is one that relies on playing strategies that are dependent on probabilities.

The fact is 501 is the standard game of professional darts and ones quality as a player is measured based on that game. Only soft tip cunts measure their quality as a player using cricket. And even that makes no sense as the purpose of the playing environment is to level the playing field so that the lesser player can play alongside the stronger player.
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Jungle Jim wrote:... You have to weigh the potential value of every dart thrown.
Most likely because the British were accustomed to the bat and ball game "Cricket" and it's a similarly technical game.
Some say the name has it's roots in the British lawn game "Croquet" (also technical) but no one knows for sure.
Unlike what 501 where a player doesn't have to evaluate the potential value of every dart thrown?

as to the claims on nomenclature, truly a load of horse shit. But kudos J.J. you Twit you have added a fine contribution to the most retarded claims posted on forums.
We Desire Information.

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 pm

cannibal wrote:
skweezit wrote: when I first started throwing, our group called it american cricket.
figures, Americans not realizing that in the UK they don't call it cricket anyways. You can claim cricket has defensive strategies, but doesn't make it a superior game or even a game that has any importance other than a fun way to throw darts for a piss up. Cricket or any '01 game is about probabilities and maximizing chances to finish the game. So it is stupid to imply that one game and not the other is one that relies on playing strategies that are dependent on probabilities.

The fact is 501 is the standard game of professional darts and ones quality as a player is measured based on that game. Only soft tip cunts measure their quality as a player using cricket. And even that makes no sense as the purpose of the playing environment is to level the playing field so that the lesser player can play alongside the stronger player.
why take such a dickhead tone? :D at least it comes across as one. maybe it's your avatar. :lol:
(just kidding.)

was taught dart games by a scot and an irishman that were on assignment for the military over here.
also taught us english cricket. (no, not tactics. can anyone name the game that it is also known as?) along with others like scram and the '01's

never claimed that cricket is a superior game, but to each his own and it's nothing for me to get all hot and bothered about.
cricket is played a lot for money in the us and some other countries, so it's more than just a "pissup" to some.

still stands that cricket has the ability for defenses which '01 does not. I don't imply anything else but that, no matter what gobbledy gook you're trying to spin.

I'm not a soft tipper, but it seems, in the past, that more often, steel tippers had a harder time accepting soft tippers, than soft tippers accepting steel tippers.
today, most don't give a shit. others, like you cannibal, seem to be on some sort of vendetta.
tell us about that. start a thread.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 pm

You know what's the problem is?
US is a huge market with millions of people playing darts.
And they waste their fucking time playing cricket and soft tip and whatever.
Instead of playing regular 501 which is the pro game.
This just pisses me off.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:59 pm

ffs skweezit; who is over thinking it now?
We Desire Information.