Happy 25th birthday PDC

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
ITG

Happy 25th birthday PDC

Post by ITG » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:40 pm

25 years today the brave rebels competed in the 1992 Lada Masters.

Without these blokes, darts would no longer exist.

Chizzyfan

Re: Happy 25th birthday PDC

Post by Chizzyfan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Well done PDC and Chizzy. I am sure he would have joined them.

Mr. Saldaar

Post by Mr. Saldaar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:45 pm

Happy birthday. Have a great day x

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:45 pm

God bless Taylor and the rebels.
The saviours of the game.

Wolflanternbumbag

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:55 pm

I knew nothing about the split at the time but I was a child at the time, but I watched the BDO World Championships from a young age every year but not till after the split..

Happy Birthday
YORKSHIRE GRIT

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:22 pm

16 took the plunge but only 14 could stay the course...God bless the 14, darts fans and post-split Lakeside winners owe them a lot.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:31 pm

dartvader wrote:16 took the plunge but only 14 could stay the course...God bless the 14, darts fans and post-split Lakeshite winners owe them a lot.
Gregory and to a lesser extent johns must kick themselves daily.
We jest but the rebels, especially the ones who stumped the bulk of the legal fees really are responsible for where we are today.

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Randall wrote:
dartvader wrote:16 took the plunge but only 14 could stay the course...God bless the 14, darts fans and post-split Lakeshite winners owe them a lot.
Gregory and to a lesser extent johns must kick themselves daily.
We jest but the rebels, especially the ones who stumped the bulk of the legal fees really are responsible for where we are today.
TV darts would no longer exist at all never mind at the level we see today.

jwr1978

Post by jwr1978 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:12 pm

Uncle Barry should be proud

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:14 pm

jwr1978 wrote:Uncle Barry should be knighted

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Indeed

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 pm

I started following darts well after the split in 2006. As a newcomer it was easy to find info and follow the PDC and its players. Living here in the former colonies thank god for the internet and the good sense of the PDC to use it appropriately market the game. Spent alot of time watching matches on Justin TV. What I learned about the BDO was mainly from the forums as it was much harder to find info on how the WDF, BDO and the ADO worked and what they did. And of course only 2 events on TV a year wasn't much to watch regardless of the quality of the darts they played. And to be honest most dart players here back then didn't know fuck all about the BDO nor cared.

Hands down the split in darts was the best thing to happen to darts as sport entertainment. No interest in seeing unification of all darts under PDC or BDO or any acronym. Let each do what they do best and focus on their aspect of the game. PDC doesn't need the BDO anymore and hasn't for some time. No need for cooperation just let the BDO fuck off and die at the top end of the game so they can focus on amateur darts and what they should be doing at that level.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

PT13

Post by PT13 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Mike Gregory beat Dennis Priestley in the final of this tournament. The BDO were seething at the time, determined to teach the rebels a lesson they'll never forget, effectively not recognizing the WDC at all at the 1993 Embassy.

The amount of money spent on legal fees, to remove the clauses from the April 1993 Finchley meeting was in the hundreds of thousands. Loans had to be taken out by Tommy Cox, the richer players had to put their own money into the case, and John Raby put in about £60,000 of his own money at a crucial time and he wasn't a millionaire either.

Wolflanternbumbag

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:35 pm

11 darts tournaments on TV was a lot back then BDO had.. How many now on TV?
YORKSHIRE GRIT

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:37 pm

PT13 wrote:The BDO were seething at the time
Much has changed in 25 years...
not a girl

PT13

Post by PT13 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Wolflanternbumbag wrote:I knew nothing about the split at the time but I was a child at the time, but I watched the BDO World Championships from a young age every year but not till after the split..

Happy Birthday
It was talked about during the 1993 Embassy. Dougie Donnelly was mentioning how the 16 WDC rebels had signed a statement saying that they would only participate in the 1994 Embassy if it came under the auspices of the WDC. Sid Waddell gave an interview over it, where he had to tread carefully as a BBC employee at the time. The frosty atmosphere towards the rebels was clearly present. I was 9 at the time.

Wolflanternbumbag

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:40 pm

PT13 wrote:
Wolflanternbumbag wrote:I knew nothing about the split at the time but I was a child at the time, but I watched the BDO World Championships from a young age every year but not till after the split..

Happy Birthday
It was talked about during the 1993 Embassy. Dougie Donnelly was mentioning how the 16 WDC rebels had signed a statement saying that they would only participate in the 1994 Embassy if it came under the auspices of the WDC. Sid Waddell gave an interview over it, where he had to tread carefully as a BBC employee at the time. The frosty atmosphere towards the rebels was clearly present. I was 9 at the time.
Never saw the likes of Taylor, Bristwo, Jocky, Lowe etc play live at Lakeside only on you tube..

First Lakeside I watched live on TV was Burnett v Barney final
Last edited by Wolflanternbumbag on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YORKSHIRE GRIT

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Wolflanternbumbag wrote:
PT13 wrote:

Happy Birthday
Never saw the likes of Taylor, Bristwo, Jocky, Lowe etc play live at Lakeshite only on you tube..

First Lakeshite I watched live was Burnett v Barney final
Saw them at Jollies before anyone had heard of Lakeside, were the glory days of the first era. The second era is all PC
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:49 pm

M H wrote:
Wolflanternbumbag wrote:
PT13 wrote:

Happy Birthday
Never saw the likes of Taylor, Bristwo, Jocky, Lowe etc play live at Lakeshite only on you tube..

First Lakeshite I watched live was Burnett v Barney final
Saw them at Jollies before anyone had heard of Lakeshite, were the glory days of the first era. The second era is all PC
Spot on grandad, Jollees was the juice

a massive zebra

Post by a massive zebra » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 pm

PT13 wrote:

Happy Birthday
Is this interview on youtube?

D'Artagnan

Post by D'Artagnan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Folk wishing 'Happy Birthday' to a group of shareholders there.. :roll: