2000 World Matchplay players vs 2017 World Matchplay players

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
PT13

2000 World Matchplay players vs 2017 World Matchplay players

Post by PT13 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:37 pm

This is a thread to compare the players and/or standard of the 2017 World Matchplay to that of their 2000 counterparts. I was mentioning in another thread how Phil Taylor threw a higher average in the 1997 World Matchplay final than he did yesterday, and how he was averaging 113 after 15 legs in the 2000 World Matchplay final.

In the 2000 World Matchplay, the top 8 seeds were:

1. Phil Taylor
2. Peter Manley
3. Shayne Burgess
4. Rod Harrington
5. Dennis Priestley
6. Alan Warriner
7. John Part
8. Keith Deller

Two dangerous unseeded players who reached the semi finals were Ronnie Baxter and Richie Burnett.

In the 2017 World Matchplay, the top 10 players are:

1. Michael van Gerwen
2. Gary Anderson
3. Peter Wright
4. Adrian Lewis
5. Dave Chisnall
6. James Wade
7. Mensur Suljovic
8. Phil Taylor
9. Raymond van Barneveld
10. Jelle Klaasen

The Ginge Reaper

Re: 2000 World Matchplay players vs 2017 World Matchplay pla

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:51 pm

K.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:57 pm

1. Taylor v MvG - Taylor's won a few as has MvG, call that one levels.

2. Manley V Anderson - No contest, Manley back then wouldn't come close to Gando now.

3. Burgess v Wright - Again no contest, I reckon Gurney would blow Burgess away.

4. God v Snackpot - A few years back this would have another no contest but Snackpot now is either brilliant or shit. God was always pretty consistent so can't call this one.

5. Priestly v Chissy - Chissy has the ability to blast Dennis off the board but also inconsistent. Dennis is model consistency and never gave up. Another too close to call.

6. Warriner v Wade - I'd back Wade's stalker to beat him today which is a sad comment on how Wade's form has plummeted. Was a class act but now a pale shadow of the player that would have battered Warriner.

7. Part v Mensur - The Part then was a much better player than he is now but I've seen close up how he reacts against a slow player and it isn't good. He whinged big time and got totally dicked. Mensur would walk this.

8. Dellar v Taylor - No comment necessary!

Barney would have beat Baxter without breaking sweat whilst Burnett and Klaasen would have been in the bog having a sniff!
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:35 pm

I see it about 4-4

PT13

Post by PT13 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:38 pm

A bit one-sided, MH. For example, at the 1999 World Matchplay, Manley beat Taylor, was never short of confidence and an expert at mind games. Bristow, who is usually very good at predicting winners, made a howler before the 1999 World Matchplay final, strongly favouring Manley to beat Harrington, so impressed was Bristow by Manley's win over Taylor and the fact that Manley was playing so many competitive tournaments. How ironic that around a decade later, Manley would suffer because of him playing too many exhibitions while Taylor had taken darts still higher. In 1999, it was Taylor playing too many exhibitions, where more money was then, instead of playing more competitive darts.
Last edited by PT13 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:38 pm

What's forgotten is the second tier onwards

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:52 pm

Burgess is a better player than he is credited for. Would give cry baby an argument

PT13

Post by PT13 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:11 pm

Burgess had a knack of being involved in a load of exciting matches on TV from 1998-2000. He seemed to burn out in 2001, and was mostly gone from the scene after his brief resurgence at the 2003 UK Open.

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:30 pm

M H wrote:1. Taylor v MvG - Taylor's won a few as has MvG, call that one levels.

2. Manley V Anderson - No contest, Manley back then wouldn't come close to Gando now.

3. Burgess v Wright - Again no contest, I reckon Gurney would blow Burgess away.

4. God v Snackpot - A few years back this would have another no contest but Snackpot now is either brilliant or shit. God was always pretty consistent so can't call this one.

5. Priestly v Chissy - Chissy has the ability to blast Dennis off the board but also inconsistent. Dennis is model consistency and never gave up. Another too close to call.

6. Warriner v Wade - I'd back Wade's stalker to beat him today which is a sad comment on how Wade's form has plummeted. Was a class act but now a pale shadow of the player that would have battered Warriner.

7. Part v Mensur - The Part then was a much better player than he is now but I've seen close up how he reacts against a slow player and it isn't good. He whinged big time and got totally dicked. Mensur would walk this.

Barney would have beat Baxter without breaking sweat whilst Burnett and Klaasen would have been in the bog having a sniff!
:? No chance

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Mabbsy wrote:
M H wrote:1. Taylor v MvG - Taylor's won a few as has MvG, call that one levels.

What did Hankey do to Baxter while his missus was leaping over the side?

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:38 pm

M H wrote:
Mabbsy wrote:

What did Hankey do to Baxter while his missus was leaping over the side?
Token post :twisted:

limegas

Post by limegas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 am

Interesting that we claim this is the great era and you cannot really split the top 10 in 2000 and 2017.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 am

the top ten in any era are going to be good.
my view at 4-4 may be through slightly tinted glasses in fairness.

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Just like back in 2000 there are very few 'great' darts players around. In fact in this era there are probably about 4 and 2 of those (Taylor and Barney) are a long way past their best. Wright, Chizzy etc are capable of playing great darts but achievements ultimately define greatness.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Great is very much an overused word in all walks of life and sport in particular.

There are arguably only two greats in darts, Taylor and Bristow.
I'd listen to arguments for Lowe but that's about it.

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Randall wrote:Great is very much an overused word in all walks of life and sport in particular.

You're a hard man to please, I'd have Lowe in there along with one or two others.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm

dartvader wrote:
Randall wrote:Great is very much an overused word in all walks of life and sport in particular.

You're a hard man to please, I'd have Lowe in there along with one or two others.
Who are your others?
Barney I suppose but most of his glory was in a Taylor free zone.
One world title in ten years?

Jamie Craven

Post by Jamie Craven » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:08 pm

taking the top 8 players this is probably a 6-2 for the 2017 squad

priestley probably better than chisnall
taylor takes out mvg
maybe a sniff of a chance for part against mensur but thats about it

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:10 pm

I wouldn't want to call a wade v warriner game with them at their best.
On current form I'd have no difficulty picking warriner.

Jamie Craven

Post by Jamie Craven » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Randall wrote:I wouldn't want to call a wade v warriner game with them at their best.
On current form I'd have no difficulty picking warriner.
at their peaks wade takes it imo
on current form he's shit of course