THE GREATEST SHITFEST ON EARTH Lakeshite 2017

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
sennafan24

Re: 2017 January Jobber Jamboree at Potters Palace of Piss

Post by sennafan24 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:35 pm

dartvader wrote:The BDO have no one of that quality or anywhere near it in their ranks.
The closest they had was Wolfie from 2007-2011. During that time I saw the Lakeside referred to as the "Wolfie Adams Open" on non-darts forums.

The "wide-open" narrative only re-emerged after Kist won in 2012.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:38 pm

they are all shit,

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:33 pm

The Shank wrote:
wintergardener wrote:The theory that in the BDO pretty much anyone can win, is that a strength? It's bollocks anyway, we all know that.
Theory could be correct.
When you have a field of third rate players attempting to win fifth rate tournaments, I suppose anyone can win.
Had Bunting stayed in the BDO he'd currently be making Van Gerwen look like Nigel Justice. Same goes for Barney. Quality disappears from the top end and the mediocre+ remains fill the void. Mediocrity running riot is not what I'd call a 'strength' but generally it will help to provide a variety of different winners and that's a good thing if you like. You see it on the PDC Challenge Tour - 12 events this year, 12 different winners.

If loads of different winners of big titles are what someone demands from a sport, then the elite level possibly isn't for them. Look at tennis, snooker etc. and see who's winning. Are people wandering in off the streets to win big titles, or is it generally the same handful of quality players? Murray just won Wimbledon again, world #1 Selby won the snooker Worlds again... MvG, Thornton and Anderson hold the PDC majors. It was ever thus. In fact it was very often 'worse' in darts with a prime Taylor killing everybody. I think it's the normal way of an elite.
not a girl

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:40 pm

Raymond van Barneveld won the following tournaments in the BDO, televised:

1998 World Championship
1999 World Championship
2001 Dutch Open
2001 World Masters
2001 Doeland Grand Masters
2003 World Championship
2003 International Darts League
2003 World Darts Trophy
2003 Doeland Grand Masters
2004 Dutch Open
2004 International Darts League
2004 World Darts Trophy
2004 Doeland Grand Masters
2005 World Championship
2005 World Masters
2006 Dutch Open
2006 International Darts League (as a PDC player)

And you know what? Barney underachieved. He should have won a lot more in the BDO.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:49 pm

Rogg wrote:In fact it was very often 'worse' in darts with a prime Taylor killing everybody. I think it's the normal way of an elite.
As a Taylor fan, it was the best of times.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:51 pm

Just having a look at the last 10 years of winners of the PDC Worlds and Lakeside. In terms of variety of winners, they are roughly the same. 13 different winners of the 20 titles. Who's to say that one or more or the Lakeside winners wouldn't have become a multiple winner in that time had they not switched...

taylor 3
lewis 2
ando 2
barney 1
part 1
mvg 1

adams 3
waites 2
webster 1 - switched
hankey 1 - switched, then returned, or something
kist 1 - switched
bunting 1 - switched
mitchell 1
Last edited by Rogg on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:52 pm

PT13 wrote:
Rogg wrote:In fact it was very often 'worse' in darts with a prime Taylor killing everybody. I think it's the normal way of an elite.

it is for a few years, but it runs it course and solid competition is better for the game.

People are now trying to claim MVG is better than taylor which is utter bullshit, and as dominant as van chemo is he is not as dominant as taylor was

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:57 pm

PT13 wrote:
Those who underestimate the enormousness of Taylor's legend in any form is an insult to those of us (me) who suffered under his tyranny of ultra violence. :mrgreen: absolutely hated it live but nowadays I look back on it as a GREAT time to have been a darts fan.
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:00 am

Rogg wrote:Just having a look at the last 10 years of winners of the PDC Worlds and Lakeshite. In terms of variety of winners, they are roughly the same. 13 different winners of the 20 titles. Who's to say that one or more or the Lakeshite winners wouldn't have become a multiple winner in that time had they not switched...

taylor 3
lewis 2
ando 2
barney 1
part 1
mvg 1

adams 3
waites 2
webster 1 - switched
kist 1 - switched
bunting 1 - switched
mitchell 1

that better be sarcasm

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:01 am

If Noppert develops into MvG2, stays in the BDO for a decade and tears up Lakeside 9 times, are we to believe that the fanatics would NOT like that? I think they'd love nothing more than to have a destructively brilliant youthful player shattering records, winning everything and that rather than calling it boring would be worshipping the ground he walked on. I could be wrong.
not a girl

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:01 am

Justin Credible wrote:
PT13 wrote:

it is for a few years, but it runs it course and solid competition is better for the game.

People are now trying to claim MVG is better than taylor which is utter bullshit, and as dominant as van chemo is he is not as dominant as taylor was
Van Gerwen is phenomenal no question about it and in spells can play just as well as Taylor used to but the difference is Taylor was relentless over the longest formats in the game he'd start well and get better whereas MVG can't sustain his best level for as long.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:03 am

agree with that

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:07 am

Justin Credible wrote:
Rogg wrote:Just having a look at the last 10 years of winners of the PDC Worlds and Lakeshite. In terms of variety of winners, they are roughly the same. 13 different winners of the 20 titles. Who's to say that one or more or the Lakeshite winners wouldn't have become a multiple winner in that time had they not switched...

taylor 3
lewis 2
ando 2
barney 1
part 1
mvg 1

adams 3
waites 2
webster 1 - switched
kist 1 - switched
bunting 1 - switched
mitchell 1

that better be sarcasm
I was only counting up the number of different winners of each tournament. I'm not comparing the players of each list, I mean, why would you, how could you.
not a girl

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:09 am

PT13 wrote:Raymond van Barneveld won the following tournaments in the BDO, televised:

1998 World Championship
1999 World Championship
2001 Dutch Open
2001 World Masters
2001 Doeland Grand Masters
2003 World Championship
2003 International Darts League
2003 World Darts Trophy
2003 Doeland Grand Masters
2004 Dutch Open
2004 International Darts League
2004 World Darts Trophy
2004 Doeland Grand Masters
2005 World Championship
2005 World Masters
2006 Dutch Open
2006 International Darts League (as a PDC player)

And you know what? Barney underachieved. He should have won a lot more in the BDO.
Barney's Darts Organisation
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:12 am

Brain Dead Old people

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:24 am

BDO sounds like an abbreviation for body odour
Rogg wrote:If Noppert develops into MvG2, stays in the BDO for a decade and tears up Lakeshite 9 times, are we to believe that the fanatics would NOT like that? I think they'd love nothing more than to have a destructively brilliant youthful player shattering records, winning everything and that rather than calling it boring would be worshipping the ground he walked on. I could be wrong.
Don't the BDO hold some weird grudge against non-UK players?

Anyway, provided Noppert stayed with the BDO - that scenario could feasibly happen. The only issue is that young players who have a bit of talent have no reason to stay. The BDO's stake in the game decreases by the year. If we accept that the climax of the BDO's annual season is Lakeside - then last season they had 3 or 4 competitions on Eurosport (I don't know the exact figure), with their main tournament airing on BBC and BT.

This season, they have had one tournament on Dave. Their main tournament is on BT again, but their freeview presence for the show has been downgraded (Channel 4). In terms of quantity, their capacity has been sliced in half (dependent on if they can get the Masters on TV). In terms of exposure, their main source (BBC) has dumped them for the PDC. I'm not sure what prize money is like, but you lot take the piss out of it that often that I'm going to assume it's on the decline.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:32 am

the bdo lakeshite crowd dont like non brits
they dont even like brits even unless they are from that fucking shitstain on the map yorkshire.

Look at how the bdo fans treated harms at lakeshite
how fats and co treated barney and his wife

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:28 am

Rogg wrote:Had Bunting stayed in the BDO he'd currently be making Van Gerwen look like Nigel Justice.
On the other hand, he might well have sunk back to mediocrity after a while. Few sportsmen get off on dominating clearly sub-par fields, and the ones that (for whatever reason) do keep competing against them often lose motivation because it's just too easy.* There's an obvious solution in darts, going to the PDC, but what I'm trying to say is that I kind of doubt that today's BDO is even capable of creating a consistently dominant player anymore.

In a surreal way the BDO almost depends on its best players switching regularly now - without it its track record in developing players might actually become worse. The org could end up being full of Wesley Harmses who never get beyond "sort of promising player" status. Instead, most of those players go to the PDC and either strive or flop there.

* It's different when you know you're dominating the best the world has to offer, of course; then it becomes a competition against history and the record books. Adams almost managed to spin that as a story for himself in the BDO, too, but he'll be the last one who can credibly do that...nobody else's future "domination" of the BDO will be worth anything if it ever happens.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:52 am

sennafan24 wrote:This season, they have had one tournament on Dave. Their main tournament is on BT again, but their freeview presence for the show has been downgraded (Channel 4). In terms of quantity, their capacity has been sliced in half (dependent on if they can get the Masters on TV). In terms of exposure, their main source (BBC) has dumped them for the PDC. I'm not sure what prize money is like, but you lot take the piss out of it that often that I'm going to assume it's on the decline.
Relative to the PDC's prize money it's becoming less attractive every year, of course. In absolute terms the prize money in WDF/BDO tournaments is holding fairly steady, actually, at least overall.

Still, if you're one of the best 5 or so BDO players in any given year, there's decent money to be made, probably better than any PDC players who fail to qualify for Ally Pally. Might not be relevant for much longer though, if the PDC keeps increasing its prize money across the board. Even this year we'll probably see 80+ PDC players whose prize money tops £10k already.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Zeyes wrote: Relative to the PDC's prize money it's becoming less attractive every year, of course. In absolute terms the prize money in WDF/BDO tournaments is holding fairly steady, actually, at least overall.

Still, if you're one of the best 5 or so BDO players in any given year, there's decent money to be made, probably better than any PDC players who fail to qualify for Ally Pally. Might not be relevant for much longer though, if the PDC keeps increasing its prize money across the board. Even this year we'll probably see 80+ PDC players whose prize money tops £10k already.
Thanks for the info.