Favourite World Matchplay matches

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: Favourite World Matchplay matches

Post by Rogg » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Julesdebulls wrote:True Roland was slaughtered by Taylor just like the rest. However he switched very early, whereas Barney who stayed and collected a few more world titles. I think he didn't get the recognition he deserved. In those days few people were interested in the PDC and media coverage was mainly based around the BDO. He has become a jobber now but I like him as a pundit!
I admire him for switching early, and for being in the PDC elite for a good few years, ranked as high as #3 for a time, and he won a major. He was capable of being gutsy and aggressive, which is why his performances against Taylor annoyed me. There was no shame in losing to Taylor of course - everyone did, but the manner of Scholten's defeats to him were often particularly poor.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:50 pm

Harvey beat Scholten at the end of a Matchplay afternoon session one year in a game which took so long it nearly ran into the evening session. Anyone remember?
not a girl

dartsweekly

Post by dartsweekly » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:04 pm

Where do you guys rank Co Stompe among the best Dutch players?

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:27 pm

dartsweekly wrote:Where do you guys rank Co Stompe among the best Dutch players?
Nowhere near RvB/MvG and certainly below Scholten, Klaasen and van der Voort. Stompe could be fun to watch but never really did anything in a major championship to my knowledge. He did win that early German event where he beat Taylor in the final and the first PDC World Cup with Barney but he seemed to fade away very soon after switching which was a shame.
not a girl

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:24 pm

Co Stompe beat Phil Taylor 4-2 in sets (best of 3 legs per set) in the 2008 German Darts Championship final, both averaging around 14 darts per leg (IIRC 107 for Stompe and 108 for Taylor). Taylor avenged this a few weeks later by beating Stompe 5-0 in sets (beat of 5 legs per set) in the 2009 World Championship quarter final.

Stompe did play well in the PDC for a short time, but seemed to fade quickly after the 2010 World Matchplay event, where he lost to Barney in the quarter finals.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:28 pm

Rogg wrote:
Julesdebulls wrote:True Roland was slaughtered by Taylor just like the rest. However he switched very early, whereas Barney who stayed and collected a few more world titles. I think he didn't get the recognition he deserved. In those days few people were interested in the PDC and media coverage was mainly based around the BDO. He has become a jobber now but I like him as a pundit!
I admire him for switching early, and for being in the PDC elite for a good few years, ranked as high as #3 for a time, and he won a major. He was capable of being gutsy and aggressive, which is why his performances against Taylor annoyed me. There was no shame in losing to Taylor of course - everyone did, but the manner of Scholten's defeats to him were often particularly poor.
Arguably Scholten's best performance on TV was the 2006 Premier League semi final that he played against Barney. Barney had just switched, and had shown amazing form in the league phase in winning every match against opponents other than Taylor and getting a 7-7 draw and a 6-8 defeat against Taylor. A Taylor vs. Barney final seemed a certainty, yet Scholten blitzed Barney 11-3 in a match where Scholten's finishing (often his achilles heel) was deadly. Taylor then beat Scholten 16-6.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:54 pm

Rogg wrote:
Darth Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:Old Roland's constant bottlejobbing to Taylor was completely sickening though. Remember their 2005 Premier League semi-final... Scholten 11-7 up in a race to 13, missed stacks and STACKS of doubles to job 6 legs in a row to Taylor's D-game. Gutless.

Just checked the head-to-head. Taylor 25 wins, Scholten 0. 2 draws.
On many of the occasions taylor was just too good for him, his strength was always scoring not finishing.

Check out the game I mentioned, wade won 19-17 in overtime as I recall.
I remember that night well. Wade beating Scholten was a fairly big upset, although Wade's outstanding talent had become evident during the week. He'd been something like 8/9 on doubles against Ovens in an earlier round and won easily. Wade was a non-seed that week and I think he'd only just turned pro.

Hamilton played Taylor in the other semi, and announced himself similarly that week as a player we'd be seeing a lot more of.
Hamilton had beaten barney in the qualifiers as I recall.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:38 pm

Darth Randall wrote:Hamilton had beaten barney in the qualifiers as I recall.
Yes. That was before the rankings changed to the Order of Merit system after the 2007 World Championship. Using the Order of Merit system, Barney would have been in the top 6 already in July 2006 after just 5 months in the PDC and wouldn't have had to qualify, yet was way outside the top 32 on the points system. This was despite Barney winning the 2006 UK Open. Barney then lost to Hamilton in the World Matchplay qualifiers at Hayling Island, before reaching the 2006 Las Vegas Desert Classic final.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:42 pm

Darth Randall wrote:Scholes v wade semi final 06 I think.
Still the best game I've seen.

I have looked back at a load of Wades games before he met that cunt Hells Bells

In his semi over mardle in 2008 he was 10-1 up averaging 110, and had 10 maximums, which makes all those claims he is not a top maximum hitter or power scorer look like lies.
His 2007 semi he was well in excess of 100 average.
The 2006 semi final against scholten though was entertaining but nowhere near the levels of 07 and 08 in terms of averages and scoring

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:25 pm

Double post
Last edited by PT13 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:27 pm

James Wade did play some brilliant matches in the 2009 Premier League, particularly when coming from 1-4 down against Barney to win 7 legs in a row with a 120 average. He was with Helen Chamberlain then.

His consistency of the second half of 2007 and the first half of 2008 seemed to go after the 2008 World Matchplay though. In mid 2008, Taylor and Wade were the top 2 at that time in terms of form and were cleaning up, while Barney was struggling with new ceramic darts. By late in 2008 and into the 2009 World Championship, Barney had ditched the ceramic darts and was playing better than Wade. Wade played the worst World Championship quarter final match that I have ever seen at the 2009 World Championship, when he played Paul Nicholson. Nicholson only won 2 of the first 5 sets, yet had darts to win the other 3. The standard was poor, and Wade somehow won 5-3.

In the 2009 Premier League, it was all Taylor, King and Wade, while Barney was struggling. It's puzzling how Barney managed to finish above King in the table, but Mardle's withdrawal due to mumps and the annulment of Mardle's results hurt King more than anyone else as King lost 4 points and +13 on his leg difference while Barney only lost 1 point and nothing on the leg difference. Wade won the 2009 Premier League, beating Barney and King and had been the only man to beat Taylor in the league phase.

Wade's UK Open defence in 2009 was a disaster, losing his first match as Manley beat him in what was probably Manley's last great victory. Wade's form was pretty average to poor for the rest of 2009. The 2009 Premier League form had gone.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:42 pm

after taylor wade has the best matchplay record reaching the final 6 times, only winning once though, on his second attempt.

Of the 5 losses, he lost 4 times to Taylor which was expected every time, and lastly to MVG

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Justin Credible wrote:

In his semi over mardle in 2008 he was 10-1 up averaging 110, and had 10 maximums, which makes all those claims he is not a top maximum hitter or power scorer look like lies.
The 2006 semi final against scholten though was entertaining but nowhere near the levels of 07 and 08 in terms of averages and scoring

just rewatched the 2006 final against scholten

Scholten was a total power scorer back then.
That game had 10 x ton plus checkouts, a slew of maximums and after wade missed a dart for the match scholten took out 114 to take it to a tie breaker. and then wade took out 64 to stay alive after scholten missed a match dart.
The last leg saw wade hit a 140, 180 and despite scholten hitting a max as well wade won it with a 10 darter

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:58 pm

Justin Credible wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:

just rewatched the 2006 final against scholten

Scholten was a total power scorer back then.
That game had 10 x ton plus checkouts, a slew of maximums and after wade missed a dart for the match scholten took out 114 to take it to a tie breaker. and then wade took out 64 to stay alive after scholten missed a match dart.
The last leg saw wade hit a 140, 180 and despite scholten hitting a max as well wade won it with a 10 darter
A better of a game.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:10 pm

says something when people look back at the classic games that wade winning 3 semi finals in 3 consecutive years makes the list

gives you an idea of how good he really was back then

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:26 pm

Justin Credible wrote:after taylor wade has the best matchplay record reaching the final 6 times, only winning once though, on his second attempt.

Of the 5 losses, he lost 4 times to Taylor which was expected every time, and lastly to MVG
Wade's best opportunties in the finals he lost were 2012 and 2015. MvG was fairly ordinary in last year's, but sadly Wade's level dropped considerably, making for a quite plodding match, otherwise it could been perfectly balanced.

I seem to remember the 2012 final being the night of the London Olympics opening ceremony. Wade didn't even play well but still got close to Taylor, frustrating...

In 2008 he did incredibly well to hang on to Taylor for as long as he did. Taylor was unbeatable, in a world of his own and stayed there for 2+ years. The obscured bullseye for the match and tears afterwards became iconic shots.

No memory whatsoever of the 2006 final. :? Wade would have been ranked outside the top 16 when he got to it.
not a girl

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:29 pm

Rogg wrote: I seem to remember the 2012 final being the night of the London Olympics opening ceremony. Wade didn't even play well but still got close to Taylor, frustrating...
Wasn't the final, was on the Friday night so was either the semis or the quarters. I remember someone on the other forum getting rather excited by the darts whilst a once in a lifetime event was going on down in London and everyone was watching that instead....
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:31 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:
Rogg wrote: I seem to remember the 2012 final being the night of the London Olympics opening ceremony. Wade didn't even play well but still got close to Taylor, frustrating...
Wasn't the final, was on the Friday night so was either the semis or the quarters. I remember someone on the other forum getting rather excited by the darts whilst a once in a lifetime event was going on down in London and everyone was watching that instead....
some people do not care about once in a lifetime events and prefer to watch sport...be it darts or hurling :D :D

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:39 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:
I just checked. What I'm remembering was the Wade-van Gerwen quarter-final on that Friday night. 16-13 to Wade. MvG had hit the sodding Flintoff 9-darter v Beaton two nights earlier. :)
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:46 pm

The schedule on Olympics opening night was Taylor v Hamilton followed by Wade v MvG. Wade was 3rd seed, MvG was ranked 35. Seems like only yesterday.

The afternoon session had opened with Baxter v Pipe. Dear god. Matchplay quarter-final.
not a girl