OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
M H
Site Admin

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by M H » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:08 pm

Very good mate
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:09 pm

jeff smith obviously

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:10 pm

2 points!
we got a winner.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:14 pm

I like smith, obviously should be nowhere near a proper world title as he simply is not that good, but a tidy little player on his finishing.
Shame he did not win lakeshite though

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Jeff reminds me a bit of Colin Osborne, from when Osborne was pretty good. Composed, neat and tidy. One of very few BDO turds I would be okay with seeing at the GSoD. Still don't want to though. Fuck no. Oh and good find Skweezit.
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:36 pm

like yourself would rather no bdo cunt be there, not the wonky eyed king of slumland, the back stabbing spineless cunt, mr potato head waites etc

but if the cunts do manage to come a begging for the PDC coin yet again , hands out, then smith would not be the worst of them

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:16 pm

William Hill replaces Ladbrokes as chief sponsor of PDC World Darts Championship
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/other- ... ampionship
7th April 2014

THE PDC World Darts Championship has a new sponsor after 12 years - with William Hill Online replacing Ladbrokes.

The PDC have signed an initial two-year, seven-figure deal for the event where Dutchman Michael Van Gerwen banked £250,000 with his victory in January from prize money of more than £1m.

PDC Chairman Barry Hearn said: "Since first being staged in 1993-94, this tournament has grown into the biggest in darts."

^^^^^^^^7-figure deal for the initial 2 years? That's a minimum of 500k/year, and it's probably a lot more, especially now since the new 5-year deal. Huge, yet when talking about the PDC's revenues, everyone mentions PL ticket sales etc. but contributions by title sponsors get forgotten about.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:55 am

Event Previews: 2016 BDO Players Championship
http://tungstenstories.com/2015/12/28/e ... mpionship/
28th December 2015

The BDO Players Championship is the British Darts Organisations unofficial 5th Major and compliments The BDO Lakeside World Championship, The BDO World Trophy, The BDO Matchplay and the end of season highlight, The Winmau World Masters at the Copper Box Arena at the iconic Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

Held over the weekend of the 25-28th February, Old Billingsgate is on the banks of The Thames, opposite London Bridge and The Shard. The tournament will have 24 of the top Men in the World and 12 of the Top Ladies. The event will also have a Youth and Disabled tournament.

As a thank you to the BDO loyal fans the BDO Catering partner, De:Luxe Group is offering free passes via ticketmaster (booking fee payable) plus amazing subsidised Food and drink. For example day tickets are £29.00 and give you a FREE bar all day. With VIP and Corporate Hospitality Options, this is such an exciting time for the BDO.

There are more BDO events to be added to the calendar by De:luxe events in 2016, which will be announced at some time next week, it is an exciting time for the BDO to say the least, rewarding fans with some fantastic offers, but these tickets will soon go, so dont hesitate book tickets early, and it is guaranteed to be a roaring success.
not a girl

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:10 pm

Guaranteed :D
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:01 pm

Fitton set for PDC switch?
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... tch-980388
5th September 2007

STOCKPORT'S British Darts Organisation favourite Darryl Fitton could be on the verge of a dramatic switch to the sport's rival outfit, the Professional Darts Corporation.

Fitton, who suffered a miserable first round defeat to Phil Nixon at the BDO World Championships on Sunday, has long been courted by Barry Hearn's rival set-up [as has fellow Stockport star Tony O'Shea], and he has revealed that another offer is currently on the table.

Fitton said: "I have been in talks about signing up for the PDC, there is an offer on the table. But I've now told them what I want so it's just a case of them coming back to me again."

A steady stream of top BDO players have been lured to the more lucrative PDC in recent years, most notably last February when Dutch star Raymond van Barneveld decided to take the plunge.

His switch has been a success, and that was capped superbly on New Year's Day when van Barneveld won the PDC World title after beating 13-times champion Phil Taylor following an epic final clash.

Current BDO man and Lakeside number four seed Mervyn King is believed to be switching to the PDC in the very near future, while Dutch wonder kids Jelle Klaasen and Michael van Gerwen are rumoured to be following.

A big decision certainly beckons for Fitton.

He added: "I'm in a bit of a muddle as to what to do really.

"One side of me is saying go, while the other side is saying stay with the BDO.

"There are one or two internet sites in Holland which are saying that I've already signed for the PDC, but that's definitely not the case."

Fitton's short-term diary is pretty full at present.

Numerous exhibition shows in Holland beckon, as does the Dutch Open tournament next month.

yawwwwn.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:17 pm

Tony O'Shea turns down the PDC
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/201 ... n-the-pdc/
9th January 2012

Tony O'Shea today pledged his future to the BDO and warned defector Ted Hankey that 'the grass may not be greener' in the PDC.

O'Shea revealed at a darts exhibition at the Cleveland Arms pub in Wolverhampton that he has turned down the PDC's offer of a Tour Card.

He said: "I am quite happy, I love playing for England and everything that goes with the BDO, so it wasn't a hard decision for me.

"I e-mailed the PDC and thanked them for their lovely offer, I turned it down but I did it properly, like I was brought up to.

"It's done and dusted now, so let's concentrate on what we do."

-----

BDO rules had stated that the last four in the World Championships must stay with the orgnanisation for a year, or pay back their winnings.

They claim that Hankey refused to play - two hours before he was due to appear on the BBC - unless the regulation was lifted.

O'Shea was backstage at Lakeside as it happened and believes burning bridges, after 18 years with the BDO, could come back to haunt 'the Count.'

Both played in the PDC's Grand Slam at Wolverhampton Civic Hall in November, which BDO World Championship semi-finalists are invited to.

Hankey lost in the quarter-finals and O'Shea, who didn't make it past the group stages, warns the competition will be tougher in the PDC.

He said: "Nothing surprises me with Ted, he was planning to go and it's a free country but, once you sign a contract, it should be set in stone.

"He obviously had other ideas and he's been tapped up, anyone watching the Grand Slam could have predicted that, because it's obvious.

"He thinks the grass is greener, he thinks he's going to go over there and win fortunes, what he doesn't realise is that it will be tougher than he thinks.

"He's a class, quality player, but he will play against class, quality players in every round of their tournaments. It won't be as easy as he thinks.

"I wish him well and I hope he does well but I can't see it, to be honest."

-----

O'Shea was joined by BDO players Scott Waites, Darryl Fitton and Gary Robson for the exhibition on Stowheath Lane.

Fitton and Robson went out in the first round of the World Championships while Waites, the second seed, lost to Hankey in the second round.

But Waites holds the distinction of having already won a major PDC title, the Grand Slam at Wolverhampton Civic Hall in 2010.

The PDC wanted them to go to Q School, which started today, an open tournament with a number of Tour Cards on offer.

BDO players were told at a recent meeting they could compete in Q School and retain their memberships until they accepted Tour Cards.

Waites and Robson refused to go anyway and Fitton joined them, after a late change of heart.

Fitton said: "I was very close, I was actually e-mailing the PDC to go to Q School and I changed my mind at the last minute.

"I think I have got a world championship left in me here."

Christ.
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:30 pm

Rogg wrote:Fitton set for PDC switch?
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... tch-980388
5th September 2007

STOCKPORT'S British Darts Organisation favourite Darryl Fitton could be on the verge of a dramatic switch to the sport's rival outfit, the Professional Darts Corporation.

Fitton, who suffered a miserable first round defeat to Phil Nixon at the BDO World Championships on Sunday, has long been courted by Barry Hearn's rival set-up [as has fellow Stockport star Tony O'Shea], and he has revealed that another offer is currently on the table.

Fitton said: "I have been in talks about signing up for the PDC, there is an offer on the table. But I've now told them what I want so it's just a case of them coming back to me again."

A steady stream of top BDO players have been lured to the more lucrative PDC in recent years, most notably last February when Dutch star Raymond van Barneveld decided to take the plunge.

His switch has been a success, and that was capped superbly on New Year's Day when van Barneveld won the PDC World title after beating 13-times champion Phil Taylor following an epic final clash.

Current BDO man and Lakeshite number four seed Mervyn King is believed to be switching to the PDC in the very near future, while Dutch wonder kids Jelle Klaasen and Michael van Gerwen are rumoured to be following.

A big decision certainly beckons for Fitton.

He added: "I'm in a bit of a muddle as to what to do really.

"One side of me is saying go, while the other side is saying stay with the BDO.

"There are one or two internet sites in Holland which are saying that I've already signed for the PDC, but that's definitely not the case."

Fitton's short-term diary is pretty full at present.

Numerous exhibition shows in Holland beckon, as does the Dutch Open tournament next month.

yawwwwn.

That worked out well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:00 am

:lol:

The Darryl "Dazzler" Fitton 'Any luck?' Files

2007: "I have been in talks about signing up for the PDC, there is an offer on the table. But I've now told them what I want so it's just a case of them coming back to me again."

2012: "I was actually e-mailing the PDC to go to Q School and I changed my mind at the last minute. I think I have got a world championship left in me here."
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:03 am

Darryl "Dazzler" Fitton: Man Of Action

2007: "I'm in a bit of a muddle as to what to do really. One side of me is saying go, while the other side is saying stay with the BDO."

2012: "I was very close, I was actually e-mailing the PDC to go to Q School and I changed my mind at the last minute."

2017:
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:15 am

Rogg wrote::lol:

The Darryl "Dazzler" Fitton 'Any luck?' Files

2007: "I have been in talks about signing up for the PDC, there is an offer on the table. But I've now told them what I want so it's just a case of them coming back to me again."

2012: "I was actually e-mailing the PDC to go to Q School and I changed my mind at the last minute. I think I have got a world championship left in me here."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:58 pm

Stephen Bunting move to PDC was 'brave' says Barry Hearn
http://www.skysports.com/darts/news/122 ... arry-hearn
5th February 2014

"Most players with ambition want to play the very best for the most money and test themselves," he told skysports.com.

"A lot of players don't pick that up. Sometimes you'd prefer to be a big fish in a small pond and I can understand that if you don't have enough confidence in yourself and maybe you don't have enough time or whatever.

"I think Stephen Bunting has been brave and I knew he would be because he's that type of kid. He's also an exceptionally good darts player.

"I, for one, along with a lot of darts fans can't wait for this weekend's UK Open qualifiers to see what he's like because it's like jumping in with a bath full of piranhas. They can all play and kids you've never heard of are likely to have a 10 or 11-dart leg on you.

"He's going to find it very interesting and nobody really knows what's going to happen, which is the essence of all great sport."

But he warned it could take time for him to adapt before he starts challenging for major honours.

"He's got about 21 events before the cut-off for the World Matchplay," Hearn added.

"He probably needs to win £25,000 in those 21 events. It sounds easy, but it's not because there's 128 players all trying to do the same thing.

"We'll see. I like his demeanour. I've watched a lot of him playing on the amateur circuit and I think he's elevated himself to Premier League darts - not the event but the concept - at exactly the right time for his career.

"I think over the next six months he's going to have a few questions to answer about himself and I think he's going to have the answers."
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:01 pm

Former darts champion Eric Bristow not happy with Anastasia's inclusion
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... usion.html
18th December 2008

Darts legend Eric Bristow is about as unreconstructed as they come, but he can admit to several defeats by a woman without having to emigrate.

Self-imposed exile in the Nevada desert was on the cards for Hawaii 501, aka Wayne Mardle, had he lost a recent match to Anastasia Dobromyslova, a controversial wild card invite for the PDC World Championship starting at Alexandra Palace in London tomorrow.

‘Maureen used to kick my ass on occasions,’ Bristow confesses. Sometimes when playing darts.

The ‘Maureen’ in question is Maureen Flowers who, when she was the best woman player in the world, shared her life with the best player in the world. That was Bristow.

Never mind the mathematical impossibility of it, Phil ‘The Power’ Taylor should have been their love child instead of merely his prodigy. Just because Bristow is prepared to concede a woman can do things in a pub other than pull pints does not mean he agrees with the presence of ‘that Russian bird’ in the world championship.

‘She shouldn’t be in it,’ he insists. ‘I don’t know what that’s all about. A lot of professional darts players are not very happy about it.

'They chase all around the world to qualify for the championship. If a handful of women joined the PDC next year, played on the circuit and earned their right to play in the biggest tournament, there would not be a moan from anyone because they would have proved worthy of their places.

‘But you can’t just decide "we will have one in it". I feel sorry for Trina Gulliver. She won the world champs seven years on the trot. Last year she loses to this Anastasia. It’s wrong, especially if it is down to how she looks. Anyway, Trina’s not a bad-looking chick.

'Anastasia is a lovely girl who they claim is the best woman darts player ever. She lost a women’s event the other week. A cup of tea on the stage and Maureen would have killed Anastasia.’
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Players cleared of match-fixing
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 599364.stm
10th January 2006

Gary Anderson and Gary Robson have been cleared of wrong-doing after irregular betting patterns preceded their Lakeside World Championship match.
Bookmakers said Anderson, who won the first-round tie 3-1, had been backed to the near exclusion of Robson, costing the industry a possible six-figure sum.

The Association of British Bookmakers (ABB) will not launch an inquiry.

And both players have been cleared by the British Darts Organisation (BDO) after interviews uncovered nothing.

ABB spokesman John Johnson said: "I understand the BDO has interviewed both players and given the situation a clean bill of health, so there's not really anything more we can do."

Bookmaker William Hill was forced to suspend its market on the match within two hours of opening it last Thursday, having been inundated with support for Anderson.

"We saw some of the strangest ever betting patterns on an early-round darts match in a major competition," said William Hill spokesman Graham Sharpe.

"We thought it was a flip-of-a-coin type of match and opened up with both players at 5-6. We were knocked over by people wanting to back Gary Anderson.

"In normal circumstances you would maybe take a couple of thousand pounds. But in this case it was well into five figures within two hours, and the interest was only in one of the two players.

"We therefore took the almost unprecedented step of closing the book, but we will stand by those bets and pay up."

Coral spokesman Simon Clare added: "Nobody wanted to back Gary Robson - we hardly took a bet on him. --- :lol: NO WAY.

"We are paying out through gritted teeth but we have serious concerns about the betting patterns and would welcome an inquiry."

But the BDO and the International Darts Players' Association (IDPA) were united in insisting nothing untoward had occurred.

IDPA chief executive Martin Fitzmaurice said: "We have spoken to both players today. They categorically deny any involvement in the betting activity, and we would know if they were lying."

BDO managing director Olly Croft added: "The players were told about the betting activity and were distraught. They are the most honest people in the world."

Thank the lord for Holmes and Watson there eh.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Van Barneveld stumbles to victory
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 597316.stm
9th January 2006

Reigning champion Raymond van Barneveld struggled with his doubles but was still far too good for Denmark's Brian Sorensen in Frimley Green on Monday.

Van Barneveld booked his place in the Lakeside World Championship second round with a 3-0 win.

"My finishing was unbelievably bad and I can't understand why," said four-time champion Van Barneveld.

Meanwhile Gary Anderson beat close friend Gary Robson 3-1 and will now play Van Barneveld.

It was a good night for the Dutch with Jelle Klaasen defeating Dennis Harbour 3-2 and Vincent van der Voort beating Ross Montgomery 3-1. :roll:

Rapid-throwing youngster Klaasen, just 21, lost the first two sets but turned in an exhilarating display once he had settled on the Lakeside stage.

He went close to a perfect nine-dart leg, missing the penultimate dart at treble 19, and will play top seed Mervyn King in the second round.

Van der Voort nearly got himself disqualified after twice banging the board when celebrating a winning double.

After the second time the 30-year-old was informed he would be thrown out if he did it again, but he managed to keep his hands to himself for the rest of the game.

Strange final sentence...
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Anastasia fells giant of darts Gulliver to reach final
http://www.lakesideworlddarts.co.uk/new ... -final-164
12th January 2012

Nine times world champion Trina Gulliver crashed out of the championship, whitewashed 2-0 by Russian Anastasia Dobromyslova in just 31 minutes.

In a repeat of the 2008 world final, the Somerset third seed failed for the first time to reach the final as the unseeded East European played mind games to topple the Golden Girl.

Arrogance and self confidence exuded from the Russian but Gulliver let her darts do the talking, as took the opening leg against the throw after Dobromyslova missed 10 doubles.

A maximum steered the Golden Girl to the next, the snarling black-shirted Russian taking the third on double 12 and in the fourth she set the pace, levelling the match on double 12 and turning to salute the crowd, the Somerset player bemused by her opponent's behaviour.

Dobromyslova, clearly slowing the game and playing the crowd, missed double 18 for a set-winning double 18 and a further three for the same double but it was catching - Gulliver missing bull for 81 to steal the set. The Russian made no mistake on her return to the oche, nailing double 18.

The unseeded player – who beat Gulliver in the 2008 world championship seemed to grow in confidence with her mind games over the tense nine times world champ, who fluffed darts for doubles in the opening leg of the second as the Russian exited on 56.

Gulliver was first to the double in the next leg but missed double five for 95, Dobromyslova missing bull for 121. The Golden Girl missed a further two chances as the underdog clinched her favourite double 12 to move within a leg of victory.

Again in the third, the player from Cheddar requiring 105 saw her form desert her as she hit 92, opening the door for Dobromyslova to move into her second final with a match-winning 50.

Both players failed to hit the 24 per dart average, illustrating the tension which had affected both competitors.

Absolutely pathetic.
not a girl