OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

OLD darts articles

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:37 am

...posted with extracts if I can be arsed. Click to read the whole article. First up, another stroll through the BDO's 'Any luck?' files...

Van Gerwen 'should stay with BDO'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 255535.stm
12th January, 2007

Van Gerwen, Jelle Klaasen and England's Mervyn King have all been tipped to follow four-time Lakeside winner Raymond van Barneveld to the PDC.

King admitted the PDC had made him an offer, but said he had not accepted it.

He is also now under contract to play at the Lakeside in 2008 after reaching this year's semi-finals.

Holmes revealed that Klaasen - the Lakeside's youngest winner at 21 when he beat fellow Dutchman Van Barneveld in the 2006 final - is also under contract.

"Jelle is in the first-year of a two-year deal with us, and he has denied these stories about him joining the PDC.

"It's an unfortunate situation, and I felt for Mervyn on Thursday when he had to play a quarter-final amid all that rumour and speculation.

"But that's all it is - rumour and speculation - and when Michael and Jelle tell us they know nothing about it, we have to believe them."
not a girl

Rogg

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:51 am

BDO chief Olly Croft is 'working on' PDC's takeover bid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 451655.stm
11th January 2010

"Our original offer has not been considered properly," Hearn told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I understand that the county organisations that own the BDO have instructed the BDO to commence negotiations.

"I want to buy it all so I control all of it. I want to sling everybody else out and make sure it's all done properly instead of just owning the PDC.

"I can't afford to have my market place polluted by a poor case of commercial exploitation.

"You've got to make sure that the market is controlled so that you deliver a standard product, and their product is not good enough."

:D six years later and without the takeover, I think it's fair to say he now controls the market anyway...
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:57 am

Kingmaker: Olly Croft
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 636367.stm
10th January 2003

Croft, though, took it all in his stride and he told BBC Sport Online: "It was a shame when the 14 players moved to the PDC, but they wanted to do their own thing.

"But we feel we offer a good deal for all our players in terms of prize money and the vast number of events we hold."

Robert Holmes, the BDO's public relations consultant, added: "Taylor was one of a breakaway group in 1994 and there is no doubt that he is a phenomenal player.

"However, all the best darts is played in the Embassy, as the statistics undoubtedly prove." :?

That may be debatable, with Taylor - the greatest ever player - plying his trade in the opposing camp.

But last year's Embassy winner, Tony David, returned to this year's event as the world number one.

It reinforces the quality of the event and the power that Croft holds, as he continues to rule an empire that shows little sign of crumbling.
not a girl

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:02 pm

"It reinforces the quality of the event and the power that Croft holds, as he continues to rule an empire that shows little sign of crumbling."

:D :D :D
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:03 pm

Darts' future is orange
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 652829.stm
13th January 2003

Barneveld's victory has deeper significance for the world of darts.

When taken together with Canadian John Part's win at the PDC World Championships earlier this month, it represents a new, cosmopolitan chapter in the history of the great game.

For the first time in many years, neither world title is held by a player from the British Isles.

The explosion of interest in darts in Holland leads many critics to predict a new orange invasion of British darts over the next few years.

With Barneveld's compatriot Mieke de Boer the brightest young talent in the women's game, that invasion may already be well underway.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Ginge wrote:"It reinforces the quality of the event and the power that Croft holds, as he continues to rule an empire that shows little sign of crumbling."

:D :D :D
That is quite unfortunate... don't think it was even true in 2003!
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Taylor wins as Fordham withdraws
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 031143.stm
21st November 2004

"In the seventh set Andy said to me 'I can't breathe properly' so we requested the break, and that was that," said Taylor.

"Andy's size has got a lot to do with it, I think. He's a big lad and it's very, very hot down there. It's 100 degrees plus down there and I think it has taken its toll on him.

"I was worried Andy was not going to pull through. I turned round and he didn't look very well.

"I'm thinking 'oh crikey, I'm going to kill him here'."

"He's got to do something. Andy has told me that he is going to be on `Celebrity Fat Club' and it's going to be the boost that he needed.

"As a friend to Andy, he's got to do it. He has got to drop the weight - and so do I. If he doesn't, it's going to kill him."
not a girl

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Never realized the BBC news was doing comedy.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:18 pm

The new Barney?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 228093.stm
4th January 2007

Raymond van Barneveld's epic victory over Phil Taylor in the final of the PDC World Championship saw darts hit the headlines in a way not seen since the halcyon days of Bristow, Wilson and Lowe in the 1980s.

Their thrilling sudden-death classic prompted one national newspaper to rank it up there with England's Rugby World Cup final win and the 1985 World Snooker final between Dennis Taylor and Steve Davis in terms of excitement and drama.

Which leaves the rival Lakeside World Darts Championship, run by the BDO, facing a case of 'after the Lord Mayor's Show' perhaps?

Not a bit of it, according to Lakeside legend Bobby George.

The state of darts at the BDO has never been rosier, says George, thanks to a new breed of players led by Dutch teen sensation Michael van Gerwen.

The 17-year-old stunned world number one Martin Adams in the final of the World Masters in October and is George's tip to claim glory at Frimley-Green when the action gets under way on Saturday.

...bombed out of Round 1 and switched within a fortnight. oops.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:24 pm

Lakeside boosted by young stars
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 194185.stm
2nd January 2007

BDO managing director Olly Croft said he is delighted that the 2007 Lakeside field is probably the youngest ever.

"These young players represent the exciting future of our sport", he said.

"Michael van Gerwen and Carla Molema are among the latest outstanding prospects. They are still teenagers, and Jelle Klaasen is a great champion at only 21.

"They are joined by other exciting young talents like 23 year-old Mark Webster, one of the most outstanding youngsters to come out of Wales for many years."

every detail but one...
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:30 pm

The great darts divide
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 722250.stm
20th July 2002

After the initial threat, the organisation [BDO] has gone from strength to strength overall, breaking all the old records set by Lowe, Bristow and Wilson, offering huge amounts of prize money and, statistically at least, out-performing their rival event, the Skol World Darts Championships. :?

But the tournament did suffer a heavy blow recently when six leading darts players, including Ronnie Baxter and Steve Beaton, turned down the chance to compete in the British Darts Organisation's January event.

Instead, the players, which also contained Chris Mason, Peter Manley, Andy Jenkins and Kevin Painter, will compete in the rival PDC event.

Olly Croft, director of the BDO, played down the loss and insisted they would have made little impact on the Embassy event.

"The players they (the PDC) took probably wouldn't get past the first round of the Embassy," said Croft. :shock:

And he added that the move did not signal a major shift away from the BDO by the players.

"We're not that concerned really," said Croft. "The PDC have apparently said that they intend to see off the BDO in 12 months.

"They have taken just six players, we've still got another 25,000."

Yes that is a real article...
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:48 pm

great stuff rogg

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:55 pm

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Lakeside gets makeover for 2007
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 209682.stm
5th December 2006

The Lakeside World Professional Darts Championships will feature a new look when they begin on Saturday, 6 January.

To mark the 30th anniversary of its partnership with the BBC, the British Darts Organisation event will have a new set and longer players' walk-on.

BDO head Olly Croft said: "It will add to the excitement for the audience."

Also new for 2007 at the Frimley-Green venue is a second referee to watch all games from off-stage as a back-up to the on-stage referee-caller.

...and you thought the PDC were visionaries... :?
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:20 pm

Hankey counted out by Jones
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 751890.stm
9th January 2002

Finland's Pusa crashed out 3-1 to Australian haemophiliac Tony David.

The world number three was never really in contention against David, who cannot straighten his throwing arm.

...how very sensitive.

Second seed Adams came through 3-1 despite losing the first set to Bolton fireman Coote.

"Steve came out with all guns blazing in the first set, but I got my act together and I was very pleased with my performance," said England captain Adams, from Peterborough.

"I hit 140s and 180s and my finishing was clean. I can now have a right good drink tonight and then have a day's rest before my match against Wayne [Jones]."

...piss-up.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Taylor vows to play on until 2012
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 063776.stm
29th October 2007

Darts legend Phil Taylor has pledged to carry on playing for another five years and believes he can still improve.

The 47-year-old, who has won a record 13 world championships, has had a disappointing season, winning only the Premier League title.

But "The Power" told BBC One's Inside Sport: "I'm definitely going to give it five years.

"I'm getting back to being really competitive again. I'm going to try to be better than I ever was."

Taylor, once the dominant force on the PDC circuit, lost his world title to Dutch rival Raymond van Barneveld on New Year's Day this year and went on to suffer a series of shock defeats.

The latest, to unheralded Adrian Gray in Dublin, prompted Taylor to say he would have to "think about my career".
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:27 pm

PDC championship moves to London
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 516989.stm
2nd April 2007

The venue for the PDC World Darts Championship will switch from Purfleet to Alexandra Palace in London.

The move, which comes after 14 years at the Circus Tavern, will see the session capacity increase to more than 2,500.

Alexandra Palace hosted the finals of the News of the World competition from 1963 to 1977.

Prize money for the tournament will increase to £1m over the next three years following a sponsorship deal with bookmakers Ladbrokes.

"The Circus Tavern has created a unique atmosphere for players and fans and become something of a Mecca for darts supporters around the world," said PDC chairman Barry Hearn.

"But the simple fact is that we have to move to Alexandra Palace if we are to continue growing.

"There will be the opportunity for greater crowds and this in turn allows us to make the historic increases in prize money over the next three years."

The winner of the 2008 tournament, which begins in December, will collect £100,000, a prize which will rise to £200,000 by 2010.

Dutchman Raymond van Barneveld is the current title-holder after beating 13-time champion Phil Taylor in an epic final in January.

fuck off, you'll never fill it.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:43 pm

BBC go big on darts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_dept ... 099198.stm
4th January 2001

As the Embassy World Championship gets underway from 6-14 January, the BBC promises to be there every step of the way.

The Beeb will be providing round-the-clock coverage of all the best action from the Lakeside Country Club in Frimley Green on TV, radio and the internet.

BBC Television has screened every World Championship since 1978 and this year is no exception.

Ray Stubbs will be presenting the big event with the help of darts legend and two-times finalist Bobby George all through the week on BBC ONE and BBC TWO.

John Part will be back from a fantastic run in the Skol PDC Championships to join BBC stalwart Tony Green in the commentary box.

You will be able take part in the action yourself by e-mailing or faxing your views and questions to the BBC's expert panel as well as having the chance to enter a special competition.

You will also be able to ask for your favourite moments from the Lakeside to be played in the special archive section.

On radio, Juliet Ferrington will be giving regular updates on all the action for BBC Five Live on 693 and 909AM.

Finally, you can find out everything you need to know about the Championship, plus all the latest action at BBC Sport Online.

And if you cannot get to a television during the competition, just click onto the website and watch all the action unfold.

So you have no excuse for missing a thing if you stay tuned to the BBC.
not a girl