OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
PT13

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by PT13 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:25 pm

In the 2010 Grand Slam final, Wade had a mini recovery from 9-8 to 11-8, but then missed darts to make it 12-8, going 11-9 instead by the break. Waites then pulled away to lead 14-11 and won 16-12. People talk about Wade blowing an 8-0 lead, but Wade was still 8 legs from victory at that stage, which is why the comeback is not a patch on Hamilton vs. Whitlock at the 2011 World Matchplay.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Rogg wrote:Bransgore thrower Scott Mitchell targets switch to PDC
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/SPORT/ ... 8.display/
2nd January 2015

He told the Daily Echo: “If I don’t go to the PDC one day, I think I will live with regrets.

“I don’t want to be 60 years old and think that I should have had a go. But it’s about the capital.

“It would be nice to have the offer because it means you are playing great. But it’s not quite as simple as just going across and playing, unfortunately.

“There are financial implications with the PDC circuit – it costs nearly double what it costs to do the BDO.

“A year in the PDC would cost around £10,000-£12,000 but their ranking table goes across two years so you need to find around £25,000 to finance everything.

“If the money ever came to fruition I would have to seriously look at taking my opportunity but I would only ever do what was best for me and my family.”
This was always cobblers, but a special bump for 5/12/17.
not a girl

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:30 pm

His cost estimate was reasonably accurate, I would say, but his comment comes across as though nobody told him that there's money to be won in PDC competitions, too. Good players don't need to "find £25,000".

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Zeyes wrote:His cost estimate was reasonably accurate, I would say, but his comment comes across as though nobody told him that there's money to be won in PDC competitions, too. Good players don't need to "find £25,000".
exactly, he made it sound like buying membership to a golf club.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Tony O'Shea turns down the PDC
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/201 ... n-the-pdc/
9th January 2012

Tony O'Shea today pledged his future to the BDO and warned defector Ted Hankey that 'the grass may not be greener' in the PDC.

O'Shea revealed at a darts exhibition at the Cleveland Arms pub in Wolverhampton that he has turned down the PDC's offer of a Tour Card.

He said: "I am quite happy, I love playing for England and everything that goes with the BDO, so it wasn't a hard decision for me.

"I e-mailed the PDC and thanked them for their lovely offer, I turned it down but I did it properly, like I was brought up to.

"It's done and dusted now, so let's concentrate on what we do."

-----

BDO rules had stated that the last four in the World Championships must stay with the orgnanisation for a year, or pay back their winnings.

They claim that Hankey refused to play - two hours before he was due to appear on the BBC - unless the regulation was lifted.

O'Shea was backstage at Lakeshite as it happened and believes burning bridges, after 18 years with the BDO, could come back to haunt 'the Count.'

Both played in the PDC's Grand Slam at Wolverhampton Civic Hall in November, which BDO World Championship semi-finalists are invited to.

Hankey lost in the quarter-finals and O'Shea, who didn't make it past the group stages, warns the competition will be tougher in the PDC.

He said: "Nothing surprises me with Ted, he was planning to go and it's a free country but, once you sign a contract, it should be set in stone.

"He obviously had other ideas and he's been tapped up, anyone watching the Grand Slam could have predicted that, because it's obvious.

"He thinks the grass is greener, he thinks he's going to go over there and win fortunes, what he doesn't realise is that it will be tougher than he thinks.

"He's a class, quality player, but he will play against class, quality players in every round of their tournaments. It won't be as easy as he thinks.

"I wish him well and I hope he does well but I can't see it, to be honest."
Bump.
not a girl

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Rogg wrote:
Tony O'Shea turns down the PDC
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/201 ... n-the-pdc/
9th January 2012

Tony O'Shea today pledged his future to the BDO and warned defector Ted Hankey that 'the grass may not be greener' in the PDC.

O'Shea revealed at a darts exhibition at the Cleveland Arms pub in Wolverhampton that he has turned down the PDC's offer of a Tour Card.

He said: "I am quite happy, I love playing for England and everything that goes with the BDO, so it wasn't a hard decision for me.

"I e-mailed the PDC and thanked them for their lovely offer, I turned it down but I did it properly, like I was brought up to.

"It's done and dusted now, so let's concentrate on what we do."

-----

BDO rules had stated that the last four in the World Championships must stay with the orgnanisation for a year, or pay back their winnings.

They claim that Hankey refused to play - two hours before he was due to appear on the BBC - unless the regulation was lifted.

O'Shea was backstage at Lakeshite as it happened and believes burning bridges, after 18 years with the BDO, could come back to haunt 'the Count.'

Both played in the PDC's Grand Slam at Wolverhampton Civic Hall in November, which BDO World Championship semi-finalists are invited to.

Hankey lost in the quarter-finals and O'Shea, who didn't make it past the group stages, warns the competition will be tougher in the PDC.

He said: "Nothing surprises me with Ted, he was planning to go and it's a free country but, once you sign a contract, it should be set in stone.

"He obviously had other ideas and he's been tapped up, anyone watching the Grand Slam could have predicted that, because it's obvious.

"He thinks the grass is greener, he thinks he's going to go over there and win fortunes, what he doesn't realise is that it will be tougher than he thinks.

"He's a class, quality player, but he will play against class, quality players in every round of their tournaments. It won't be as easy as he thinks.

"I wish him well and I hope he does well but I can't see it, to be honest."
Bump.
I know back then that ToS was the one player Uncle Barry wanted to switch more than any other. Thing was back then ToS had the best sponsorship bar none in the game and was under no pressure
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:24 pm

Rogg wrote:Jonathan Liew: without Phil 'The Power' Taylor, the PDC World Championship title fight becomes a load of Bull
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... -Bull.html
3rd January 2011

But this week, darts has been granted a glimpse into its possible future, and it may not necessarily like what it sees. Somehow, for only the fourth time in 17 years, Phil Taylor lost at the PDC World Championship. Not only did Taylor lose, but so did Raymond van Barneveld. So did James Wade, Simon Whitlock and Mervyn King. By the time it had reached the quarter-final stage, the game’s showpiece event had lost its most recognised characters.

What does that leave us with? Well, the last four consisted of Adrian ‘Jackpot’ Lewis, Mark ‘Webby’ Webster, Gary ‘Gary’ Anderson and Terry Jenkins, nicknamed ‘The Bull’ for reasons that appear solely attributable to the fact that he looks a little bit like a bull. Not too many household names in that lot, you’ll notice. And therein lies the crisis facing darts.

More than virtually any other sport in this country, the fortunes of darts are tied up in one man. Once again, Sky will get record viewing figures for this year’s championship, but how many of those were lured over on the basis of Taylor’s high-profile appearance on Sports Personality of the Year? And how many of those will have remained to watch ‘The Bull’ against ‘Gary’ last night?

In the absence of Taylor and most of the game’s other stars, the BDO championship has been marginalised into irrelevance, the kind of thing you put on television on a Sunday afternoon and then forget about while you do household chores. Taylor leads the bulletins, and Taylor sells the tickets.

Before his game against Webster on Saturday night, Sky ran an extensive preview feature on Taylor in which he was filmed in a series of moody poses on the balcony of a London apartment while wearing a trendy flat cap, before being interviewed by Eric Bristow. Darts has been clinging to the coat-tails of Taylor’s phenomenal talent for two decades. The prospect that it may now be on the wane has grave consequences for both.

The PDC’s challenge is to construct a viable post-Taylor future. “The Power is out!” John Gwynne roared as Taylor was eliminated. It remains to be seen whether any of his successors can generate enough electricity to keep the show on the road. Perhaps they could start by giving the players some decent nicknames.
After chattering in the other thread, BUMP.

From almost exactly 7 years ago: "The PDC’s challenge is to construct a viable post-Taylor future"
not a girl

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Zeyes wrote:His cost estimate was reasonably accurate, I would say, but his comment comes across as though nobody told him that there's money to be won in PDC competitions, too. Good players don't need to "find £25,000".
Rob Cross found just that amount according to his last interview on Tungsten Tales. And he was an unproven player. Guessing that means Cross also has to share a bigger chunk of his change than say a "proven" player. Still expect he isn't doing to bad, and if he continues on the same way not doubt he will get a much better deal in the next years.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Rogg wrote:
Rogg wrote:Jonathan Liew: without Phil 'The Power' Taylor, the PDC World Championship title fight becomes a load of Bull
3rd January 2011

What does that leave us with? Well, the last four consisted of Adrian ‘Jackpot’ Lewis, Mark ‘Webby’ Webster, Gary ‘Gary’ Anderson and Terry Jenkins, nicknamed ‘The Bull’ for reasons that appear solely attributable to the fact that he looks a little bit like a bull. Not too many household names in that lot, you’ll notice. And therein lies the crisis facing darts.
Rather recent BDO world champion Webster and multiple BDO major winner Anderson getting classed as "not household names" there. 7 years ago.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Zeyes wrote:
Rogg wrote:
3rd January 2011

Rather recent BDO world champion Webster and multiple BDO major winner Anderson getting classed as "not household names" there. 7 years ago.
average working man know wolfie
circus is for metrosexuals
im of
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

KingMervtheFirst

Post by KingMervtheFirst » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:57 pm

The Thorn wrote:
Zeyes wrote:
Rogg wrote:
3rd January 2011

average working man know wolfie
circus is for metrosexuals
im of
Of course the only 'Wolfie' known to the masses is the one who was the protagonist in Citizen Smith.

Though anyone who actually aspires to be a household name should probably pursue a career other than darts. There is only one current professional player who can reasonably claim to be a household name...and he is retiring in no more than about 50 hours from now.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Champion Ted Hankey slams Barry Hearn darts merger offer
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sp ... rry-426431
22nd October 2009

Barry Hearn was savaged by The Count last night as his £1million offer to unite darts was rejected as a "cheap stunt".

Hearn launched his bid to merge his Professional Darts Corporation with bitter rivals from the British Darts Organisation earlier this week by lobbying the BDO board in an open letter, calling for the sport to come under one umbrella... his umbrella.

But peace envoy Hearn's mailshot is doomed to fail, even though he offered the BDO board and their 66 affiliated counties £1m to amalgamate - because they have stuck their tungsten out at his masterplan.

So the duopoly of the PDC world title, which moved to Alexandra Palace from the Circus Tavern in Purfleet two years ago to cater for bigger crowds, and the BDO's rival tournament at the Lakeside Country Club will continue.

And reigning BDO world champion Ted 'The Count' Hankey snapped: "It's a stupid offer because he's trying to put a price on something money can't buy - tradition.

"The PDC only exists as we know it because they go around pinching nearly all their best players from the BDO. If it wasn't for us, he would be a ringmaster without a circus in the first place.

"And they have become a one-man show because you can guarantee that Phil Taylor will win the PDC world title again this year.

"But you'll struggle to pick a winner at the Lakeside because the field is so strong.

"As for Barry's offer, it's a cheap stunt because what does £1m in sport buy you these days? He should go away and concentrate on producing some players of his own.

"The BDO aren't there to make money for themselves, they look after the grass roots of the sport. It's the home of darts and it always will be." As with most sporting feuds, the fault line in darts is defined by rival TV paymasters on either side of the great divide.

Sky Sports hold the rights to live coverage of the PDC's Ally Pally show, which straddles Christmas and the New Year with its rock 'n roll walk-ons, strobe lighting and bawdy atmosphere.

Taylor has won 12 out of 16 titles since the PDC broke away from the BDO in 1993.

The Lakeside is a BBC stronghold, however, and Hankey's thrilling 7-6 win against Tony O'Shea in the BDO final nine months ago was watched by 4.5 million viewers.

Bdo chief Olly Croft last night rebuffed Hearn's takeover bid as a gimmick and scoffed: "Barry is more concerned with filling arenas with ever-rowdier crowds and turning darts into a 'show' on a par with wrestling.

"The only reason the BDO does not produce vast net profits is because we plough back all the money we make into the sport for the benefit of players at grass-roots level and upwards."

Hearn, who turned Steve Davis into a snooker superstar, guided boxer Chris Eubank to two world titles and is chairman of Leyton Orient, has never disguised his pursuit of profitable business or TV ratings. He said: "The BDO made a £16,000 profit last year. We made a £1m profit out of £9m turnover, and the PDC has roughly £3m in the bank.

"The BDO loves darts, we acknowledge that.

"But they have stayed stationary while we have taken it into the 21st century."

PDC v BDO - TALE OF THE TAPE

Champions: Phil 'The Power' Taylor (PDC), Ted 'The Count' Hankey (BDO)
World Title Venue: Alexandra Palace (PDC), Lakeside Country Club, Frimley Green (BDO)
Home Broadcaster: Sky Sports (PDC), BBC TV (BDO)
Winner's prize money 2009: £125,000 (PDC), £100,000 (BDO)
Net Profit 2009: £1million (PDC), £16,000 (BDO)
not a girl

PT13

Post by PT13 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:03 pm

^^^^

Oh dear, Ted. You could guarantee Phil Taylor winning the World Championship because he was unbelievably dominant in 2009 and most of 2010, even to the extent of making numbers 2 and 3 in the world (Barneveld, Wade) look average most of the time. And Taylor then tended to save his best form for the World Championship too, up to 2010. A clear example was at the 2010 World Championship. Adrian Lewis was in superb form during the tournament, and got to the quarter finals in great style with 100+ averages. Come the quarter final against Taylor, Lewis averaged 103, but Taylor won 5-0.

And those BDO quotes in the article are embarrassing now. They should have sold up, made themselves some money and allowed amateur darts to be treated a lot better. Even if you take the view that Barry Hearn only cares about money, it's still true that Hearn had a vested interest in amateur and grassroots darts doing well, to provide the PDC stars of tomorrow and create the big strength in depth, thus bringing in more money. When the BDO turned him down flat, he simply bypassed them and built the PDC's own grassroots apparatus, and at a much cheaper cost.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:17 pm

Rogg wrote:"As for Barry's offer, it's a cheap stunt because what does £1m in sport buy you these days? He should go away and concentrate on producing some players of his own.
Heh. You don't say, Ted.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:31 am

Ted is a bitter fucking gimp who is fucking shit at darts.

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:15 am

Randall wrote:Ted is a bitter fucking gimp who is fucking shit at darts.
No way to talk about a stroke victim...hang your head in shame.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 pm

dartvader wrote:
Randall wrote:Ted is a bitter fucking gimp who is fucking shit at darts.
No way to talk about a stroke victim...hang your head in shame.
True mate, I was far to nice.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 pm

Cunt still went to the PDC two years later FFS

Anyway, 4.5 million viewers for the Lakeside final :shock:
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Potter's Lake

Post by Potter's Lake » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 pm

The Thorn wrote:Anyway, 4.5 million viewers for the Lakeshite final :shock:
Peak. This is from their "media report" at the time:
TELEVISION & RADIO

Official BBC Viewing figures

SEMI-FINALS: SATURDAY, JANUARY 1OTH

Average 2million

Peak: Darryl Fitton v Tony O’Shea 2.7million
Ted Hankey v Martin Adams 2.3million

FINAL: SUNDAY, JANUARY 11TH

Average 3.1million
Peak: 4.5million

These excellent figures represented a 13% audience share on an evening when the 2009 Lakeside Final was against ‘Dancing On Ice’
That last line's a beaut.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:51 am

Hearn was lucky the offer was rejected. Could you imagine the PDC trying to run the counties, sanctioning events, and keeping the rules kept, all the while dealing with the fucking retards that organize these various things. Lets not forget the EDO morons who can't even do the one thing they are tasked to do, get the England players to the pinnacle of darts every couple years.

PDC taking over BDO would be like herding cats.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation