OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:41 pm

Michael van Gerwen beats Mervyn King to win World Grand Prix
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/19946341
15th October 2012

Michael van Gerwen staged a remarkable comeback to beat Mervyn King and win the World Grand Prix title in Dublin.

The Dutchman, 23, trailed 4-1 in the best-of-11-sets final, but won five consecutive sets to win 6-4 and claim a winner's cheque for £100,000.

"It's the best day of my life," said van Gerwen, who moves up to eighth in the PDC Order of Merit.

"I'm not a person who gives up so this feels very good for me. I'm so happy to have won."

He added: "I started the year as the number 38 in the world and now I'm number eight, so it's unbelievable for me.

"I need to work on this and get more consistency. I've got a lot of work to do in the next couple of months but now I know what I feels like to win a major tournament like this. It's the best thing in the world."
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Simon Whitlock wins European Championship to claim first major
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/19699808
24th September 2012

Simon Whitlock defeated Wes Newton to win the European Championship and claim his first major title in the PDC.

The 43-year-old Australian, a beaten finalist in previous PDC and BDO World Championships, prevailed 11-5 in the final in Muelheim, Germany.

"I've been so close to winning a major in the last couple of years and I'm absolutely ecstatic to finally win one," said Whitlock.

"This a dream finally coming true and I'm so proud of what I've done."

Whitlock beat Mark Walsh, Dave Chisnall, Colin Lloyd and Kim Huybrechts on his way to the final.

The win puts Whitlock up to fifth in the PDC Order of Merit, above Newton, who suffered defeat in his second major final after being the runner-up at the 2011 UK Open.

"It's been a good weekend and although I'm disappointed to lose the final, I'll take the positives out of it," said Newton, from Fleetwood.

"It hurts to lose in the final because you're so close, but on the other hand it's another final and I'm taking steps in the right direction. Hopefully one day I'll win one."

Phil Taylor, who had never previously lost a match in four appearances at the European Championships, was knocked out at the quarter-final stage by Northern Ireland's Brendan Dolan.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:51 pm

Australia's Paul Nicholson wins first major PDC title
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 490690.stm
1st February 2010

Australia's Paul Nicholson shocked world champion Phil Taylor on the way to victory in the Players Championship at the Circus Tavern in Purfleet.

The 30-year-old defeated defending champion Taylor 10-9 in a close semi-final, before beating Mervyn King 13-10 to seal his first major PDC event win.

Nicholson had edged past Stoke-on-Trent's Adrian Lewis 9-7 in the last eight earlier on Sunday afternoon.

The tournament victory lifts him into the top 16 in the world rankings.

It is the first time that Taylor, the 15-time world champion, has been beaten in a PDC ranking event since the UK Open in Bolton in June 2008.

Both Taylor and Lewis will return to action in the Premier League, which gets underway in London on Thursday, 11 February, at the O2 Arena.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:15 pm

Lloydy On Top Of The World
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/llio35bb ... -the-world
4th October 2005

COLIN LLOYD'S triumph in the Stan James World Matchplay has ensured that he takes the number one spot in the World Rankings.

Phil Taylor recaptured the world number one berth in January when he won the Ladbrokes.com World Championship, although Lloyd's form on the circuit took him back to the top of the rankings by February.

Despite Taylor's wins in the Budweiser UK Open and Las Vegas Desert Classic, Lloyd has managed to increase his lead over The Power.

His triumph at the Winter Gardens last Saturday - giving Lloyd his second major title inside a year - ensured that he reached the landmark figure of 500 points.

Ronnie Baxter has moved up to third in the rankings with his form in 2005, and he is level on 440 points with second placed Phil Taylor.

Wayne Mardle is up to fifth, while Peter Manley has slipped from third to sixth despite reaching the semi-finals in the UK Open and World Matchplay.

Chris Mason has jumped from 31st to 26th in the standings, while Adrian Lewis' rapid rise has seen him move up 16 places to 34th.

James Wade is another big improver, moving from 46th to 31st.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Future Stars Get Big Break!
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/190zu1ix ... -big-break
13th November 2008

EIGHT future stars of darts will be showcased on Nuts TV in December - with the winner of the New Kids on the Oche receiving their entry fees paid for all 2009 PDC events.

The New Kids on the Oche tournament sees eight players under the age of 21 face off over four one-hour programmes to be shown every night from 9pm on December 9-12 on Nuts TV.

Two players - Ricky Williams and Joe Cullen - already have experience of playing in a major tournament from the Blue Square UK Open, while Arron Monk is the son of professional star Colin.

All have played on the PDC Pro Tour, but the winner of the tournament will have his entry fees paid for all PDC tournaments in 2009 - worth over £4,000.

The players are:
Joe Cullen (age 19, from Bradford)
Matt Gallett (age 18, from Birmingham)
Jamie Kelling (age 19, from Andover)
Tom Martin (age 19, from Leamington Spa)
Arron Monk (age 18, from Basingstoke)
Michael Smith (age 18, from St Helens)
Darren Whittingham (age 17, from Market Drayton)
Ricky Williams (age 19, from Portsmouth)

The programme also features analysis from 13-time World Darts Champion Phil Taylor, who said: "This is a tremendous opportunity for these young players.

"All of them have bags of talent and have been brave enough to step onto the PDC circuit already, and they could really make their mark in 2009."
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Painter's Masterpiece!
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/9c53q817 ... asterpiece
11th December 2011

KEVIN PAINTER won the first major title of his career with a brilliant 13-9 defeat of Mark Webster in the Cash Converters Players Championship final at the Doncaster Dome on Sunday night.

Painter, the 2004 World Championship runner-up when he lost to Phil Taylor in a sudden-death leg, finally held aloft major silverware by claiming the £60,000 title.

The 44-year-old had stared defeat in the face in his semi-final, coming from 9-6 against newcomer Scott Rand down to win 10-9, but turned on the style in the final with nine 180s and three ton-plus finishes.

"It's incredible," admitted Painter. "It's been a long time coming for me and a lot of people kept saying that I'd missed my chance to win a major in the 2004 World Championship, but this shows them that I hadn't.

"I've always believed that I can do this and you have to stick with it because anything can happen in this sport. I've come good when it mattered in the semi-finals and final and it came together at the right time."

"I got some fluency in my game in the semis and final and I thought I played well in the final," added Painter, who moves up to ninth in the PDC Order of Merit following the triumph.

"You have to dig in when it gets tough and I did that. If you'd said to me at the start of the week that I was going to be the champion, I'd have thought your head wasn't screwed on properly.

"I've been playing alright and it wasn't beyond me to win a tournament but everything has to come together to win a tournament and it did for me.

"I had a bit of luck at times but my finishing throughout the whole tournament was good. I think the 104 in the final was the turning point, Mark was on a double and it was a great shot.

"He came back at me but fortunately I took the 67 out. The crowd were fantastic and they gave me great support, and it's a very special moment."

----

"I'm devastated," said Webster afterwards. "I underperformed in the final and Kevin played really well and he deserved it.

"I never settled from the word go and I'm really disappointed, but Kevin took out some great shots.

"I'm down at the moment but I've got to pick myself up because I've got my first round game in the World Championship to play on Thursday night. If I can become World Champion this will be forgotten about."
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Rogg wrote:Future Stars Get Big Break!
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/190zu1ix ... -big-break
13th November 2008

EIGHT future stars of darts will be showcased on Nuts TV in December - with the winner of the New Kids on the Oche receiving their entry fees paid for all 2009 PDC events.

The New Kids on the Oche tournament sees eight players under the age of 21 face off over four one-hour programmes to be shown every night from 9pm on December 9-12 on Nuts TV.

Two players - Ricky Williams and Joe Cullen - already have experience of playing in a major tournament from the Blue Square UK Open, while Arron Monk is the son of professional star Colin.

All have played on the PDC Pro Tour, but the winner of the tournament will have his entry fees paid for all PDC tournaments in 2009 - worth over £4,000.

The players are:
Joe Cullen (age 19, from Bradford)
Matt Gallett (age 18, from Birmingham)
Jamie Kelling (age 19, from Andover)
Tom Martin (age 19, from Leamington Spa)
Arron Monk (age 18, from Basingstoke)
Michael Smith (age 18, from St Helens)
Darren Whittingham (age 17, from Market Drayton)
Ricky Williams (age 19, from Portsmouth)

The programme also features analysis from 13-time World Darts Champion Phil Taylor, who said: "This is a tremendous opportunity for these young players.

"All of them have bags of talent and have been brave enough to step onto the PDC circuit already, and they could really make their mark in 2009."

2 of those players have gone on to far better things.....out of 8 that is a good return

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:01 pm

The PDC are ..............
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:12 pm

2 of the 8 listed there as teenagers - Cullen, Smith - reached the semi-finals in Germany last night.

When you include MvG - Wright was the only semi-finalist last night who hadn't played on the PDC youth tour.
not a girl

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:13 pm

Rogg wrote:2 of the 8 listed there as teenagers - Cullen, Smith - reached the semi-finals in Germany last night.

When you include MvG - Wright was the only semi-finalist last night who hadn't played on the PDC youth tour.
Ahhh, that's the conveyor belt of talent we used to hear about. Taken for granted now

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:22 pm

M H wrote:
Rogg wrote:2 of the 8 listed there as teenagers - Cullen, Smith - reached the semi-finals in Germany last night.

Ahhh, that's the conveyor belt of talent we used to hear about. Taken for granted now
be careful.

on some forums saying that will cause uproar and you will be told how the bdo created every player.

Thats right, every player that ever made did so solely based on the bdo only, not their ambition, talent, ability, desire etc.
However any player that fails and there have been tens of thousands, thats not the fault of the bdo.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:38 pm

Think I may have got away with it mate!

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:46 pm

M H wrote:

Yes it is the PDC's end game coming to be true. Drain the BDO of its ambitious talent and while the few remaining middle-aged guys like Mitchell squeal with self-doubt every January, stacks of youth tour graduates, most of whom never bothered going down the Lakeside route, are getting stuck in.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:51 pm

M H wrote:Think I may have got away with it mate!
Don't. Mention. The conveyor belt.
not a girl

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Best not mention the PDC youth having fun on the BDO tour either

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:16 pm

M H wrote:Best not mention the PDC youth having fun on the BDO tour either

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Businessman’s £150,000 bid to change face of darts
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/bus ... -1-6383200
20th January 2014

A Yorkshire businessman has ploughed more than £150,000 into a new venture aimed at changing the face of competitive darts.

Scott Newhouse, of Rotherham, has established BDO Events, the commercial partner of the British Darts Organisation (BDO), which is to introduce a new international competition to Blackpool Tower next month.

The first BDO World Trophy will take place at the tower from February 4-9 and will see amateurs and professionals competing for the title and the £115,000 prize pot – the second largest in the darts calendar.

BDO Events was born out of a chance meeting with BDO director Alan Marshall and several follow-up meetings with BDO committee members.

Mr Newhouse, a non-darts player, said: “After all the meetings I had the confidence to see the commercial opportunities and how I could move forward with the BDO and bring a little razzmatazz to the darts calendar at the same time.

“I know it sounds strange that someone who can’t even play the game should invest in a new tournament but, besides the business opportunity, I also decided I wanted to enhance the player and fan experience.

“With the line-up of players already confirmed and with the stunning setting of the tower ballroom, we really have a true festival of darts.”

He added: “The launch of this new competition and the sizeable prize fund is the right direction for the BDO, which will see men and women competing for this new title in the first of what is going to be an exciting year of new tournaments in the darts world”

The World Trophy is the first in a year-long programme for BDO Events culminating in the Super Series in July. 8-)

More than 1,000 players from all over the world are expected to take part in the six-day event, which will be watched by up to 10,000 fans.

The winner of the World Trophy will qualify for immediate entry into the playoffs at the Winmau Word Masters and the Lakeside World Championships in 2015.

BDO Events has a five-year plan to bring about change and has already secured Blackpool Tower for the five years for the World Trophy and the Super Series final. :lol: :shock:

It also has rights for the Cyprus Challenge (to be the official Open next year), Turkish Open, Romanian Open, The European Cup 2014 in Budapest and Romania and The World Cup Turkey, Belek in 2015.

Last year, Mr Newhouse organised British Classic at the Magna Centre in Rotherham, which attracted more than 1,200 players and 650 spectators.

Mr Newhouse is the founder of renewable energy firm Wind and Solar Systems, which has carried out a number of projects in South Yorkshire, and recently secured funding for a £23m solar development project in Shropshire, which started construction last month.
not a girl

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:15 pm

Any luck?
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:16 pm

BDO Events has a five-year plan to bring about change and has already secured Blackpool Tower for the five years for the World Trophy and the Super Series final.
Oh dear... 'five-year plan', now where have you heard that before?
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:23 pm

My life has changed, says Liverpool darts champ [& BDO Events stuff...]
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/ot ... en-6504565
14th January 2014

------

Stephen’s next challenge will be the £115,000 Daily Mirror BDO World Trophy in Blackpool’s Tower Ballroom. More than 10,000 spectators are expected to cram into the venue for the event which runs from February 4-9.

After his world title triumph was screened live on BBC2, rights to screen the World Trophy have been won by Eurosport.

Scott Newhouse, managing director of World Trophy organisers, BDO Events, said: “Securing such a high profile sponsor such as Trinity Mirror just days after Eurosport signed up to cover the tournament is a further indication of the growing popularity of darts.

“The World Trophy is a big move in the right direction for the BDO which, combined with such a new and exciting tournament is an amazing prospect for players and fans alike.”

Sue Williams, chair of the British Darts Organisation, added: “This is wonderful news. As a board of directors we have worked very hard over the last two years to bring in new business partners to enhance the game for our players. This additional tournament to the calendar is the start of a new chapter for the BDO.

“The Daily Mirror has shown confidence in us and I look forward to working with them and BDO Events on this exciting new event.”

Winner of the World Trophy will qualify for immediate entry into the play-offs at the Winmau World Masters and next year’s Lakeside World Professional Darts Championships.

The World Trophy is the first in a year-long programme of events culminating in the Super Series in July.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Scott don't have sound like Warren there... and there's Sue with 'a new chapter for the BDO'. In January.
not a girl