OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by Rogg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Justin Credible wrote:
DUE TO A LACK OF WEB SPACE THE REMAINING SCORE SHEETS AND PICTURES

FOR THIS YEARS EMBASSY WILL NOT BE POSTED UNTIL NEXT WEEK

WHEN MORE SPACE WILL BE ADDED AND WILL MEAN OTHER PAGES WILL NOT BE REMOVED

SORRY FOR THE HOLD UP
https://web.archive.org/web/19991011054 ... pages/bdo/

:lol: :lol:
Now that was a proper website. The liberal use of these was somehow perfect BDO, that dead flies in a backstreet sex shop vibe they deliver beautifully to this day:

not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:03 pm

No regrets about deciding to stay in the BDO for Middlesbrough darts star Glen Durrant
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/oth ... o-10750602
18th January 2016

Glen Durrant insists he has made the right decision to ignore his critics and remain in the BDO following his gut-wrenching Lakeside World Championship quarter-final defeat to Scott Waites.

Tournament favourite Duzza took a bit of a social media bashing after the Waites loss.

Trolls stuck the boot into Middlesbrough’s BDO No 1 for failing to cash in on a 4-2 lead.

One keyboard complainant even told the Lakeside favourite he is unable to pay his mortgage because his 5-4 defeat cost him a £3,000 payout on a Gary Anderson-Durrant world title double.

And others have accused him of lacking ambition for opting against a switch to darts’ top table the PDC.

Durrant is still getting over the Waites loss more than a week after his Frimley Green disappointment and said it will sting for some time to come.

But the 45-year-old has no regrets about announcing that he will stay in his familiar BDO surroundings.

He will still get a chance to pit his darting wits against the PDC’s best players as a one-off this year after qualifying for the dual code Grand Slam of Darts as the 2015 World Masters champion.
---

“I understand it’s the amateur side of darts, but I’m happy with my decision to stay with the BDO,” he said.

“My management weren’t happy when I said I wasn’t going to the PDC, but when we sat down and I told them the reasons they understood.

“The BDO have made certain assurances that I can’t elaborate on that suggests there is a positive future for me in it.

“There’s new tournaments this year like Billingsgate and at Rainton Meadows Arena in Durham.

“From a promotion point of view I can still say I’m World No 1, and to be honest I don’t have it in me to start from the bottom in the PDC.

“If I was 25 or 26 I would be at Q School this week trying to win a Tour Card.

“I know that sounds a bit defeatist, because I know I can beat up to the top eight on a regular basis.

“But I was happiest when I wasn’t even the best player in my Super League team,” said the housing estate manager.

“I would have snapped your hand off to enjoy the success I’ve had since the Teesside Ranking Events, and I’m very happy with my life.”
not a girl

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Rogg wrote:No regrets about deciding to stay in the BDO for Middlesbrough darts star Glen Durrant
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/oth ... o-10750602
18th January 2016

Glen Durrant insists he has made the right decision to ignore his critics and remain in the BDO following his gut-wrenching Lakeshite World Championship quarter-final defeat to Scott Waites.

Tournament favourite Duzza took a bit of a social media bashing after the Waites loss.

Trolls stuck the boot into Middlesbrough’s BDO No 1 for failing to cash in on a 4-2 lead.

One keyboard complainant even told the Lakeshite favourite he is unable to pay his mortgage because his 5-4 defeat cost him a £3,000 payout on a Gary Anderson-Durrant world title double.

And others have accused him of lacking ambition for opting against a switch to darts’ top table the PDC.

Durrant is still getting over the Waites loss more than a week after his Potter's Piss Palace disappointment and said it will sting for some time to come.

But the 45-year-old has no regrets about announcing that he will stay in his familiar BDO surroundings.

He will still get a chance to pit his darting wits against the PDC’s best players as a one-off this year after qualifying for the dual code Grand Slam of Darts as the 2015 World Masters champion.
---

“I understand it’s the amateur side of darts, but I’m happy with my decision to stay with the BDO,” he said.

“My management weren’t happy when I said I wasn’t going to the PDC, but when we sat down and I told them the reasons they understood.

“The BDO have made certain assurances that I can’t elaborate on that suggests there is a positive future for me in it.

“There’s new tournaments this year like Billingsgate and at Rainton Meadows Arena in Durham.

“From a promotion point of view I can still say I’m World No 1, and to be honest I don’t have it in me to start from the bottom in the PDC.

“If I was 25 or 26 I would be at Q School this week trying to win a Tour Card.

“I know that sounds a bit defeatist, because I know I can beat up to the top eight on a regular basis.

“But I was happiest when I wasn’t even the best player in my Super League team,” said the housing estate manager.

“I would have snapped your hand off to enjoy the success I’ve had since the Teesside Ranking Events, and I’m very happy with my life.”
What an appropriate find.....
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:48 am

At least in January 2016, there was Glen Durrant's ambition to win Lakeside after he blew a 4-2 in sets and 2-0 in legs lead against Scott Waites in a race to 5 sets. And it was before it became obvious about the Deluxe/Warren Brown thing completely blowing up in their faces and massively accelerating the BDO's pace of decline.

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:59 am

PT13 wrote:At least in January 2016, there was Glen Durrant's ambition to win Lakeshite after he blew a 4-2 in sets and 2-0 in legs lead against Scott Waites in a race to 5 sets. And it was before it became obvious about the Deluxe/Warren Brown thing completely blowing up in their faces and massively accelerating the BDO's pace of decline.
It was obvious to any sensible cunt about a month before that it was a pipe dream.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:02 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:
PT13 wrote:At least in January 2016, there was Glen Durrant's ambition to win Lakeshite after he blew a 4-2 in sets and 2-0 in legs lead against Scott Waites in a race to 5 sets. And it was before it became obvious about the Deluxe/Warren Brown thing completely blowing up in their faces and massively accelerating the BDO's pace of decline.
It was obvious to any sensible cunt about a month before that it was a pipe dream.
I remember the day the "New Era" was announced and said then it was a pile of shite. The business model was straight out of a fairy tale

Potter's Lake

Post by Potter's Lake » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:14 am

Wade Wins Stan James World Matchplay
Article by PDC 28/07/07 9:03PM
JAMES WADE claimed the first major title of his career with an 18-7 win over Terry Jenkins at the Stan James World Matchplay.

Wade, 24, picked up the £50,000 winners' cheque with a sensational performance at the Winter Gardens to see off the in-form number five seed.

Wade produced a stunning display of finishing to defeat Adrian Lewis in the semi-finals, and took out three ton-plus finishes in the decider.

Jenkins never recovered from finding himself 6-1 down early on in the contest as Wade bettered last year's run to the final by claiming the trophy this time around.

"It's a dream come true," said Wade, who moves up to third in the world behind Phil Taylor and Raymond van Barneveld as a result of this win.

"I've worked so hard for this day throughout my career. It's unbelievable."

Wade made a stunning start, winning six of the first seven legs and taking out 134 and 121 finishes.

Jenkins had won leg two, after Wade missed a dart at double top, and took two out of three to move into the second break of the game just 7-3 down.

Wade, though, restored his advantage with back-to-back legs, and then reeled off four in a row to move 13-4 up.

Jenkins - who knocked out Phil Taylor in the semi-finals - kept battling and produced a 120 finish in pulling back to 15-7.

But Wade was not in the mood to allow his lead to slip any further, with double ten and double two moving him to within a leg of victory.

He then landed three ton-plus scores in the next to set up a 13-darter, and landed double top for the title.

"I was nervous for the first ten legs but then I went into auto-pilot - I went into my Wadey World, which is quite a fun place at the moment!

"It still hasn't sunk in. To win a TV tournament was a dream of mine, and this is the second biggest one of them all.

"My aim this year was to win a place in next year's Premier League, and now I'm up to third in the world I should be there, so it's the icing on the cake in many ways."

Jenkins praised Wade's superb finishing throughout the tournament, saying: "I've never seen anybody finish like that in my life.

"I felt I played quite well, although I started off quite slowly and let him get a bit of a lead.

"Then I started scoring and thought maybe that would slow him down, but it didn't! I can't take anything away from him, he played brilliantly.

"It was a bit frustrating, everybody I seem to play performs like that but, at the end of the day, it will make me a better player and one day I will win a major title.

"I'm pleased with this week, how could you not be after reaching four televised finals within a year? There's a lot of players who would love to swap places with me."
"Wadey World"

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Rogg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:22 pm Ross Mcnoloyalty fired up by PDC director's derogatory tweet
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loca ... c9ZV0Zk.97
23rd December 2014

ROSS ‘The Boss’ Mcnoloyalty reckons a derogatory tweet from a high ranking member of a rival darts organisation will fire him up for next month’s Lakeshite World Championships.

But the Greenhills thrower has also complained to top ranking officials at the Professional Darts Players Association (PDPA) over the incident.

Tommy Cox, who is the co-founder and tournament director of the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) World Championships currently underway in London, took a pot shot at the 52-year-old last week when he poked fun at Mcnoloyalty’s record at the British Darts Organisation (BDO) World Championships.

Mcnoloyalty, who has gone as far as the second round at the Lakeshite in three of his seven appearances, saw his first round match at next month’s event brought forward from the evening of Sunday, January 4 to the afternoon to suit the television schedules.

And afterwards Cox tweeted on his Twitter account @TommyCox_PDC: “One bonus for the BBC, the new deal and the switched games means they will be able to cover the traditional first round exit of Ross the Boss.”

Cox later said on the same post: “And not nice of him to continually deride the PDC and anyone who crosses over, especially not nice from one who has won 0.”

---------------------------

But Ross, who has 14 titles to his name including the Zuiderduin Masters, told the News: “Little does he know things like that only fire me up, so hopefully I can shut him up at the Lakeshite.

“He seems to think I ridicule PDC players, but that’s not the case at all. I know players who have gone to the PDC and done ok, but there’s lots of people that think they are way above their station. They have done nothing on the BDO side of the game before moving on and I think it’s wrong.

“They should learn in the BDO – in the ‘amateur’ game that the PDC call us – before they move over because so many players move, achieve nothing and then plead to get back to the BDO. :lol:

“His other part of the tweet, saying I had won nothing, shows he obviously hasn’t checked the history of my achievements.”

--------------------

Ross believes Cox has broken Darts Regulation Authority (DRA) rules on social media conduct and has emailed a complaint to PDPA chairman Peter Manley and chief executive Andrew Warriner-Little.

The DRA guidelines state figures in the sport should not “talk negatively about other competitors, countries, organisations or brands” and warns “remember that you are an ambassador for your sport.”

Mcnoloyalty added: “He’s breaching DRA rules about social media comments. You are not allowed to speak badly of other organisations or other players.

“I’ve emailed the PDPA but I haven’t received a reply yet.”

A spokesman for the PDC said: “The twitter account referred to is the personal account of Tommy Cox and does not represent the views of the PDC.

“The profile of the account clearly states that views are his own.

“Any hypothetical breach of the PDC’s social media policy would be dealt with internally.”
Bump. Dear Tommy.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 pm

Rogg wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 pm Champion Ted Hankey slams Barry Hearn darts merger offer
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sp ... rry-426431
22nd October 2009

"And they have become a one-man show because you can guarantee that Phil Taylor will win the PDC world title again this year.

"But you'll struggle to pick a winner at the Lakeshite because the field is so strong.

"As for Barry's offer, it's a cheap stunt because what does £1m in sport buy you these days? He should go away and concentrate on producing some players of his own.
This aged well. Good old Ted.
not a girl

PT13

Post by PT13 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 pm
Rogg wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 pm Champion Ted Hankey slams Barry Hearn darts merger offer
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sp ... rry-426431
22nd October 2009

"And they have become a one-man show because you can guarantee that Phil Taylor will win the PDC world title again this year.

"But you'll struggle to pick a winner at the Lakeshite because the field is so strong.

"As for Barry's offer, it's a cheap stunt because what does £1m in sport buy you these days? He should go away and concentrate on producing some players of his own.
This aged well. Good old Ted.
LOL. Hankey was bitter at the time that Barry Hearn didn't arrange a big money "champion vs. champion" showdown with Taylor, apparently due to a lack of demand from the TV companies and PPV. And bear in mind, this was the peakest of peak Taylor, who could average 110.94 in the World Championship final and beat Barneveld 7-1 who was averaging 101.18 himself and took most sets into a fifth leg. 2 and 3 in the world at the time would alternate between Barneveld and Wade, and few people thought even they stood much of a chance against Taylor in a long match.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Hankey hired a hearse if memory serves.
Would have been lucky to get nil.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:05 pm

Randall wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:05 pm Hankey hired a hearse if memory serves.
Yes remember that, and was then totally ignored after Taylor offered his £100k against Hankeys' which Hankey bottled.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:15 pm

M H wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:05 pm
Randall wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:05 pm Hankey hired a hearse if memory serves.
Yes remember that, and was then totally ignored after Taylor offered his £100k against Hankeys' which Hankey bottled.
Hankey knew as well as anyone he'd be bent over and butt fucked.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:22 pm

King quit threat after PDC offer
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 254179.stm
11th January 2007

An angry Mervyn King threatened to quit the Lakeside World Championship after reports he was poised to join the rival Professional Darts Corporation.
The fifth seed fought back from 3-0 down to beat Tony Eccles 5-4 and book a semi-final clash with Martin Adams.

But King revealed that constant queries over his future almost caused him to walk out of the event before the match.

"I nearly packed my darts away and went home," he said. "You nearly didn't have a quarter-final. It was that close."

King admitted he had been made an offer by the PDC, but said he had not accepted it.

He is now obliged to return to the Lakeside in 2008 under the terms of a contract he has signed that binds all semi-finalists to the event for the following year.

That would preclude him from leaving for the PDC, as Raymond van Barneveld did last year due to a clause he had inserted in his contract.

"Everyone has been in my face all day and that's the last thing I wanted when I had a quarter-final to play," said King.

"I've said what I had to say to (press officer) Robert Holmes of the BDO (British Darts Organisation) and if that's not good enough for other people then I'm sorry.

"I'm really not happy with the treatment I've had today, not just from one person but from a lot of people who I have known for many years.

"It's not just the players, it's the organisation as well. What we read in the papers isn't always true. They have known me for a lot of years. If they really need to ask me they don't really know me.

"Why should I stand here and be put on the spot? If it carries on I'm going to walk."

Holmes dismissed King's walkout threat as "silly", insisting he would play his semi-final against Adams. "That's not Merv, that's just him sounding off after a dramatic game. He will play, don't worry about that.

"Mervyn told me (earlier) he would rather pack up darts than play for the PDC, that he was staying with the BDO. We respect him and if he has told me that, I believe him.

"He is now contracted to come back here next year and if he didn't, the BDO would have to take legal action. That's what the contract is all about. But we obviously don't want to do that because Merv has given us his assurance."
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:17 pm

Darts giants prepare for showdown
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 028429.stm
20th November 2004

Darts legend Bobby George gives his verdict on the long-awaited match between BDO world champion Andy "The Viking" Fordham and PDC nine-time world title winner

Taylor is a great darts player, although as a bloke I do not like him.

He is nuts as far as practising is concerned. If you practice five or six hours a day you have to be barmy.

Practising could be made more interesting if they changed the colours of the dart board.

But you have to practise long hours - that is what being a darts player is about.

In my opinion, when he won the Embassy and BDO events he was world champion. No doubt about it.

But I do not think the PDC events are world championships - so in my mind whoever wins those events are not proper world champions.
not a girl

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Rogg wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:17 pm Darts giants prepare for showdown
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 028429.stm
20th November 2004

Darts legend Bobby George gives his verdict on the long-awaited match between BDO world champion Andy "The Viking" Fordham and PDC nine-time world title winner

Taylor is a great darts player, although as a bloke I do not like him.

He is nuts as far as practising is concerned. If you practice five or six hours a day you have to be barmy.

Practising could be made more interesting if they changed the colours of the dart board.

But you have to practise long hours - that is what being a darts player is about.

In my opinion, when he won the Embassy and BDO events he was world champion. No doubt about it.

But I do not think the PDC events are world championships - so in my mind whoever wins those events are not proper world champions.
That ended well! lol

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:30 am

Glen Durrant's BDO plea after World Trophy delight is dampened by low crowd disappointment
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/gle ... 747249.amp
6th June 2018

For Duzza, though, the delight of his latest success was dampened somewhat by the "mega disappointment" of incredibly low crowds at Preston Guild Hall.

The venue can house around 2,000 fans but no more than a few dozen spectators were in attendance for Durrant's 10-7 victory against Michael Unterbuchner in the final.

"I'm not political and I won't slag the BDO off, but something needs to be done," Durrant told Teesside Live in a typically honest assessment.

"I'm a strategist in housing not in marketing, but they (BDO) need to find a solution.

"The week before I was watching the PDC and 22,000 people were there in the crowd. The envy is there, I'm not going to lie.

"Our marketing is not good enough. If you're getting 22,000 people turning up at the PDC events, the interest is clearly there.

"When I was walking around Preston I didn't see one poster. I saw posters for Roy Chubby Brown and other events coming up, but none for the darts. I got a taxi to the event and the driver asked me where I was going. When I told him I was a darts player he didn't know the event was on.

"We need someone to have a vision, to step forward and say where it's going. We're up against a juggernaut in the PDC and we need to come up with some answers.

"I'm just a darts player, I'm not a marketing expert. But something needs to be done about it, we need to have a vision or we're just going to get swallowed up."

What a difference a year makes eh hey. The solution never changes.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:06 am

PDC Launch Grand Slam of Darts
https://www.pdc.tv/news/pdc-launch-grand-slam-of-darts
21st February 2007

The Professional Darts Corporation, the Premiership of Darts, will stage the ground-breaking £250,000 Grand Slam of Darts tournament from 17-25 November 2007, with a massive £60,000 prize to the winner.

The tournament will involve finalists from major tournaments over a two-year period from both the Professional Darts Corporation and BDO/WDF circuit.

Played with a 32-man international field at the Wolverhampton Civic, the list of competitors will be headed by current Ladbrokes.com World Darts Champion Raymond van Barneveld.

He will be joined by 13-time World Champion Phil Taylor, with the losing semi-finalists from the PDC World Championship and Lakeside Championship also being invited.

Lakeside winner Martin Adams and 2006 champion Jelle Klaasen will also receive invitations, alongside current World Masters champion Michael van Gerwen - who hit a nine-darter in last week's Masters of Darts - and reigning Las Vegas Desert Classic title holder John Part.

The inclusion of finalists from the major tournaments will also see James Wade, Terry Jenkins, Barrie Bates, Roland Scholten, Colin Lloyd and Phil Nixon qualify.

The seven major tournaments staged during 2007 will provide further competitors, with a selection of national champions from around the world to join those players who have already qualified.

The Wolverhampton Civic has hosted the Holsten Premier League in both 2006 and 2007 in front of packed crowds which have sold out in record time at the venue.

"This tournament will be a chance for the champions of this sport to do battle in a high-profile event," said PDC Chairman Barry Hearn.

"For the first time in the modern era of darts, champions from both sides of darts' divide will meet on the oche to discover the greatest of them all.

"We are also offering the successful stars of the BDO the chance to compete for a superb prize fund and the chance to become the Grand Slam of Darts champion.

"The British sporting public rarely get a chance to see so many top class players battling it out in any sport, and this will be an event not to miss.

"The public of the Midlands love their darts and I'm sure they will fill the Wolves Civic once again to see these stars in action on worldwide television. Domestic television negotiations are continuing to ensure that the widest possible audience can see the modern legends of darts slugging it out."

Grand Slam of Darts Prize Fund

Winner £60,000
Runner-Up £30,000
Semi-Finalists £15,000
Quarter-Finalists £10,000
Second Round Losers £5,250
First Round Losers £3,000
Total £250,000
not a girl

Malanax

Post by Malanax » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:38 pm

Wikipedia has the prize fund as higher, 80k to the winner etc. Not sure which is right.

Wiki also says

Controversy hit the tournament in May when it was confirmed by the BDO that the Winmau World Masters had been moved from its original dates of 26–28 October to a new date of 16–18 November,[2] clashing directly with the Grand Slam. This meant that players from the BDO were forced into a direct choice between competing at the Masters for valuable ranking points or taking their place at the Grand Slam for better prize money. BDO World Champion Martin Adams almost immediately confirmed that he would participate in the Masters, though he was the only BDO player to do so.[3] Adams went out in the quarter-finals of the World Masters meaning his pay cheque of £1,250 was significantly less than the £4,000 he would have received simply for turning up at the Grand Slam. Adams also declined the chance to compete in 2008, even though the two tournaments did not clash as the Masters was moved to December.

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:32 pm

Malanax wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:38 pm Wikipedia has the prize fund as higher, 80k to the winner etc. Not sure which is right.

Wiki also says

Controversy hit the tournament in May when it was confirmed by the BDO that the Winmau World Masters had been moved from its original dates of 26–28 October to a new date of 16–18 November,[2] clashing directly with the Grand Slam. This meant that players from the BDO were forced into a direct choice between competing at the Masters for valuable ranking points or taking their place at the Grand Slam for better prize money. BDO World Champion Martin Adams almost immediately confirmed that he would participate in the Masters, though he was the only BDO player to do so.[3] Adams went out in the quarter-finals of the World Masters meaning his pay cheque of £1,250 was significantly less than the £4,000 he would have received simply for turning up at the Grand Slam. Adams also declined the chance to compete in 2008, even though the two tournaments did not clash as the Masters was moved to December.
"Loyalty".
They're all here!