OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
thegentle

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by thegentle » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:51 pm

Is it possible to write the words 'ranking points' without first writing the word 'valuable'?

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:22 pm

Malanax wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:38 pm Wikipedia has the prize fund as higher, 80k to the winner etc. Not sure which is right.
Here's an article from that May which announces the sponsor and with it a prize fund increase. 80k to the winner indeed. Probably the last time any BDO player got a prize money related surprise that was actually pleasant...

https://www.pdc.tv/news/increased-prize ... m-of-darts
not a girl

Malanax

Post by Malanax » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:54 pm

Good find.

One result that caught my eye on the 2007 grand slam wiki was Kevin Mcdine averaging 106 to beat Wade (102.55) 10-7. That's a great standard over 17 legs, averaged high 90s through the group stage, and beat klaasen 10-3 in the QF with a 99 average also. shame mcdine didnt stick around at that level

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:39 pm

Malanax wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:54 pm Good find.

One result that caught my eye on the 2007 grand slam wiki was Kevin Mcdine averaging 106 to beat Wade (102.55) 10-7. That's a great standard over 17 legs, averaged high 90s through the group stage, and beat klaasen 10-3 in the QF with a 99 average also. shame mcdine didnt stick around at that level
Is it really a shame? I mean they'd get on well with Noppert but still.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Malanax

Post by Malanax » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:44 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:39 pm

As a geordie i'm biased i suppose. :D but anyone chucking 105+ averages over longish distances with a fairly quick natural looking throw is not a bad asset to the game?

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:02 pm

Malanax wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:44 pm
The Thorn wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:39 pm

As a geordie i'm biased i suppose. :D but anyone chucking 105+ averages over longish distances with a fairly quick natural looking throw is not a bad asset to the game?
Not if he plays wearing a dress.
They're all here!

JH01

Post by JH01 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:56 pm

I once went to play in a tournament in Great Yarmouth, and when I get there, the first thing I see is Kevin McDine puking his guts up into a small bush.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:35 pm

I'm pretty sure that won Televised Performance of the year.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:20 am

PDC Make BDO Offer
https://www.pdc.tv/news/pdc-make-bdo-offer
21st October 2009

THE Professional Darts Corporation have made a £1 million offer to purchase the British Darts Organisation, as well as offering to invest the same amount in to the grass roots side of the sport.

An open letter, detailed below, has been sent to the Board of Directors and Members of the British Darts Organisation, by PDC Chairman Barry Hearn.

The letter reads:
Subject to Contract
Without Prejudice
20 October 2009

To the Directors and Members of the British Darts Organisation:

An open letter relating to the future of Darts

Since the well publicised split in the sport of darts in 1993, much has been written and debated on the merits of one organisation that controls the sport for the benefit of all players.

Since 1993 there have been many changes within the sport of darts - new tournaments, new players, new prize funds etc., but even a neutral would have to admit that the vast majority of these changes have emanated from the PDC, which has resulted in professional events carrying prize funds previously unheard of within the sport.

We at the PDC believe the time is right for one body to control the sport and to take darts to its next level with the financial support and rewards the players deserve - we are ready to take this quantum leap and hope you will give our proposals due consideration.

We note from your published accounts for the year ended 31 May 2008 that your turnover was £758,169, your consolidated assets amounted to £397,881 and that your consolidated profit amounted to £16,919.

We propose to offer you, subject to contract, £1,000,000 (one million pounds) for 100% ownership of the British Darts Organisation Limited.

For your information the latest PDC accounts for the year ended 31 December 2008 shows turnover in excess of £9,000,000 and pre-tax profits of approximately £1,000,000. Current cash reserves stand at around £3,000,000, so you may put your mind at rest as to our financial ability to honour this offer.

We are prepared to also:
1. Honour all existing contracts currently in force with sponsors, venues, broadcasters etc. and
2. Invest a further £1,000,000 in amateur darts to provide funds for the amateur game to develop the stars of tomorrow and to run the amateur events which are the lifeblood of the sport.

We hope that on the basis of the proposal, you will give this matter your urgent consideration. We understand you may well wish to discuss this in depth at both Board and Member level, hence our decision to publicize this offer so all interested parties are aware of the contents of our proposal.

We are prepared to meet to discuss this matter at a convenient time and location with a view to a harmonious conclusion allowing our takeover to be implemented in early 2010.

I hope you agree these proposals are both fair to the shareholders of the BDO and helpful to the financing of grassroots darts organisations who organise the amateur game for men, women and junior darts players.

An offer of £1,000,000 (one million pounds) for a company making a minimal profit and with net assets of approximately £400,000 is in our opinion a generous offer.

An offer to inject f 1,000,000 into grassroots darts must surely not be ignored. What help on this scale is currently available? Does the amateur game receive financial help and if you do not accept our proposal can you provide such much needed financial assistance?

I would suggest that if the BDO Board really care about the sport of darts and the millions of players, then you should accept our offers and let us inject not just finance, but professional management to run darts in a modern and effective manner.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,
Barry Hearn
not a girl

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:32 am

And of course the offer was rubbished by a certain O. Croft.

Olly turns 90 on the night of the Grand Slam final. Happy birthday watching PDC boys spank the BDO lads again.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:28 am

This can't be sent by a chairman of a darts organisation. It is coherent and lacking any spelling mistakes!

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:22 am

It was a publicity stunt, he knew they'd never accept.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 am

Olly was a genius compared to those that have followed.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:48 pm

Randall wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 am Olly was a genius compared to those that have followed.
Olly only gave one interview to a darts forum, any guesses which one and for a bonus which forum went into meltdown?
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:50 pm

M H wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:48 pm
Randall wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 am Olly was a genius compared to those that have followed.
Olly only gave one interview to a darts forum, any guesses which one and for a bonus which forum went into meltdown?
I wont spoil it for those playing along at home

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Randall wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:50 pm
M H wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:48 pm
I wont spoil it for those playing along at home
And for a double bonus what was Olly's response when Uncle Barry's offer was mentioned?
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:21 pm

IDL Finalists Accept Grand Slam Invitations
https://web.archive.org/web/20070701014 ... 89,00.html
1st July 2007

ImageImage

GARY ANDERSON and Mark Webster have accepted their invitations to participate in the £300,000 PartyPoker.net Grand Slam of Darts, to be televised by ITV.

The duo reached the final of the recent Topic International Darts League in Holland, with Scotsman Anderson taking the title with a 13-9 win.

The pair have followed Lakeside finalist Phill Nixon, Holland's Niels de Ruiter and Shaun Greatbatch in accepting their invitations to the inaugural Grand Slam of Darts.

They will join the likes of Phil Taylor and Raymond van Barneveld at the Wolverhampton Civic from 17-25 November to compete for the second largest prize fund in the sport.

"I'm looking forward to playing in this tournament," said Anderson, who defeated James Wade and Adrian Lewis - players inside the PDC's top 12 - on the way to the first major title of his career.

"I was delighted to win the IDL and this is another chance for me to compete against the best players in the world."

Welshman Webster followed up his run in Holland with victory in the Welsh Open last weekend, and burst onto the scene last year to reach the semi-finals at the World Masters.

"I applaud the ambition and courage of both Gary and Mark in accepting the challenge of competing in the Grand Slam of Darts," said PDC Chairman Barry Hearn.

"They both performed exceptionally well in the IDL and fully deserved their invitations to this tournament.

"It is great to see players grasping the opportunities to play on the really big stage for massive prize funds.

Hearn also expressed his disappointment that the BDO/WDF World Masters event has now been rescheduled from October and coincides with the first weekend of the Grand Slam of Darts.

"I was very surprised to hear this news," added Hearn. "The decision to move the World Masters to a date that clashes with the Grand Slam of Darts is total lunacy and I'm not sure who is to blame.

"If the BDO have moved the dates then all they are doing is depriving two of their players the chance of competing in the Grand Slam of Darts, as the finalists would have received an invitation.

"If it is a BBC decision, then they really should be ashamed of themselves for putting on their network an event worth only £30,000 last year up against ITV's big-money Grand Slam of Darts.

"Either way, let's hope common sense prevails and the decision is reversed because the people who are going to suffer from this are darts fans and darts players."
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:07 am

The 07 semi between taylor and gando was tight.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:16 am

"Hearn withdrew the troops"
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:20 pm

Q School Entries Announced
https://www.pdc.tv/news/q-school-entries-announced
11th January, 2011

THE inaugural PDC ProTour Qualifying School will feature 119 players in Wigan from Thursday-Sunday.

The 2011 PDC ProTour has seen the introduction of a Tour Card system, with 103 players earning a Tour Card by rights following the completion of the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship.

A total of 128 Tour Cards will be awarded to players wishing to compete full-time on the PDC ProTour this year, with four offered to the Lakeshite Championship semi-finalists and the remaining places coming from the four-day Qualifying School in Wigan.

Q School will be played across four days from Thursday January 13-Sunday January 16, with each day hosting an individual knockout event.

The 119 players competing in Q School include 55 existing PDPA members and 63 new players or players who have rejoined the PDPA, including John Ferrell and Lee Palfreyman.

Magnus Caris, Devon Petersen, Preston Ridd, Dietmar Burger and Michael Mansell all competed in the World Championship recently, while Hull youngster Reece Robinson competed in the Rileys Darts Zones UK Open last June.

Many other young players competed in the inaugural PDC Unicorn Under-21 World Championship in the autumn of 2010, including Shaun Griffiths, Chris Aubrey, Michael Bushby, Jon Smith and Adam Smith-Neale.

The field of entrants also includes 2010 Lakeshite Championship runner-up Dave Chisnall and previous Grand Slam of Darts qualifiers Brian Woods and John Henderson.

Lakeshite Champion Martin Adams and Martin Phillips have declined offers of a Tour Card, with Dean Winstanley and Jan Dekker having until Thursday to confirm whether they will accept their place.

Four players from the original top 96 - Chris Mason, Lionel Sams, David Fatum and Scott Burnett - declined their Tour Card and have been replaced by Par Riihonen, Dave Smith, Stuart Dutton and Scott Rand, who were the next players in the PDC Order of Merit.
not a girl