OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Zeyes

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:25 am

Rogg wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:22 pm
Malanax wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:38 pm Wikipedia has the prize fund as higher, 80k to the winner etc. Not sure which is right.
Here's an article from that May which announces the sponsor and with it a prize fund increase. 80k to the winner indeed. Probably the last time any BDO player got a prize money related surprise that was actually pleasant...

https://www.pdc.tv/news/increased-prize ... m-of-darts
This post has aged very well.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 am

Zeyes wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:25 am
Rogg wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:22 pm
Malanax wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:38 pm Wikipedia has the prize fund as higher, 80k to the winner etc. Not sure which is right.
Here's an article from that May which announces the sponsor and with it a prize fund increase. 80k to the winner indeed. Probably the last time any BDO player got a prize money related surprise that was actually pleasant...

https://www.pdc.tv/news/increased-prize ... m-of-darts
This post has aged very well.
lol. The only prize money surprise remaining for BDO players comes when there is some.
not a girl

Potter's Lake

Post by Potter's Lake » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:08 am

9th June 2007
GOLDEN ARROW
By Neil Meldrum

DORSET'S Scott Mitchell says his 8-4 Blue Square UK Open defeat to Dutch star Jelle Klaasen last night has "given him a taste of the big-time".

Mitchell took on the 2006 Lakeside world champion live on Sky Sports in front of thousands of fans at Bolton's Reebok Stadium and millions watching on TV in the UK and Holland.

But the 37-year-old qualifier, who beat Brian Cathcart 8-4 in the first round to set up the glamour tie with Klaasen, was left to rue a nervous start as the Dutchman romped into a 4-0 lead early on.

Mitchell said: "I let him get away from me early on and I was nervous after the walk-on.

"I let too many legs go at the start and when you get to the double it's just a different league at this level.

"You've got to get out in one or two darts or you're going to get punished.

"Jelle said himself after the game 'You let me off in the first four legs'."

Bransgore-based Mitchell, who works as a landscape gardener, hit a purple patch to close in on Klaasen at 4-2 before slipping 6-3 behind.

Klaasen took the next leg to move into a 7-3 lead and within one of the match, before Mitchell fired out a sensational 146 finish to stay alive.

But the Dutchman, who beat five-time world champion Raymond van Barneveld to win his Lakeside title, provided his own party piece in the 12th leg with six perfect opening darts, before eventually sealing the match on double six seven shots later.

Mitchell said: "I loved every minute of it. I'm over the moon to get as far as I did to be honest.

"Jelle was lovely. We had a good chat before we went on and after the match he said 'I'll see you again because you're too good for me not to see you again' so that was great.

"I'd love to have another go at it as it's given me a taste of the big-time. Tonight's game was the chance for me to play on TV and, other than a couple of blips, I'm really pleased with the way I played.

"I've dreamed of this for a long time, to have that walk-on and get up on that stage. Thousands of darts players dream about it and I'm one of the lucky ones who has been able to do it."

Potter's Lake

Post by Potter's Lake » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:19 pm

What's that, you're bored of this isolation malarkey and are desperate to read about the first men's semi final at the 2000 Golden Harvest Cup? Well, I'm only happy to oblige.
The next match up on stage was what everyone was considering to be the highlight of the tournament and people were already saying that this should be the final, not the semi-final, but since that is how they came out of the round robin seeding, that is how they would play. Now European television had just put forth a hefty sum of money to have these two play head-to-head on European television a short time ago and today gave everyone the opportunity to see it live.

Phil (the Power) Taylor, an 8-time World Champion and Raymond (Barney) Barneveld, the #1 WDF ranked male and Embassy Champion, would compete head-to-head onstage at the Golden Harvest in a best of 3 legs, best of 7 sets match. Sit back and fasten your seatbelts as talking with Phil earlier in the week, he said that he really wanted to win this tournament and also knowing or Raymond’s scoring prowess and concentration, this was going to be a match.

Phil won the toss and the start and began to set the pace with a 14 darter in the opening leg. The second leg was a real cracker and really set the tone of the match with Phil going 83-180-140 to sit on 98 after 9 darts and Raymond going 180-100-100 to sit on 121 after 9 darts. Barney threw a single 20, single 17 and triple 20 to leave 24 leaving Phil the shot from 98. Phil could only put 60 points up and Barney finished 24 in one dart for a 13 darter and tying the legs up at 1-1 in the first set. Phil came out in the third leg with 40-180-140-100 to leave 41 after 12 and Barney hit back with 60-100-140-135 to leave 66. Phil then hit the single 9 to leave 32, but then hit the single 16, only to come back with the double 8 on his last dart to finish the 15 darter and win the first set 2-1.

Raymond had the start in the second set and seemed to be ready to storm back as he opened with 180-60-125-100 to leave 36 after 12 and Phil responded with 100-139-140-54 to leave 68 but left to sit and watch as Barney had 3 darts to take out 36, however Raymond missed and was left with 18 when Phil stepped up with single 20, single 8, double 20 to break the start with a 15 darter. Now starting the second leg, Phil opened weakly with a 43, but followed up with 140-100 to sit on 218 after 9. Raymond, still annoyed with missing the double in the first leg, opened up with 180-60-180 to sit on 81 after 9 and looking at breaking the start and evening the set up again. Phil replied with a 140 to set 78 and watched again as Raymond missed double 20 for the win. Phil stepped to the oche once more and delivered the single 18, single 20, double 20 finish that rocked Barney and opened up a 2-0 set lead.

With the start in the third set, Phil slowed the pace a little with a 120-60-100-60 to sit on 161 after 12 while Barney rattled off 100-60-59-140 to sit on 142. Phil then stepped up and delivered a 129 to leave 32 and the crowd could almost sense another victory for Phil. Raymond could only muster 100 to leave 42 and Phil checked out single 16, double 8 for a very poor leg of 17 darts (at least in this match anyway). Raymond started next and recorded 100-58-140-137 to sit on 66 after 12 and Phil fired 59-134-174-76 to leave 58 and the crowd seemed to sense that Raymond may be coming apart again and letting Phil take another leg, but this time Barney checked out with triple 10, single 18, double 9 to win the leg and tie the third set up at 1-1. Phil had the start in the third leg though and made use of it by going for the throat with scores of 60-180-180-49 to leave 32 after 12 while Raymond could only rip 43-140-125-140 to leave 53. Phil seemed to tease the crowd with a single 16, single 8 before drilling the double 4 to win the leg and the third set.

Now only 1 set away from winning the match and with the finishing touch that evaded him in last year’s final, Phil seemed to be heading for a sweep. Raymond seemed to falter a little in his scoring as he came out with 60-100-97-58-60 to sit on 126 after 15 while Phil followed with 140-60-123-100 and then checked out the 78 with a triple 18, double 12 to break the start and have a chance to end the match in the next leg with the start. Steady darts from Phil with 100-81-99-140 left him poised on 81 after 12 darts whereby Raymond had struggled with 45-100-100-140 to sit on 116, but would not get a shot as Phil delivered the 81 finish, on the bull, and ended the match with a commanding 4-0 sweep of sets and only dropped 2 legs while winning the other 8.

Against any other man, Raymond would have probably thrown the darts to win with a 33.41 p.p.d. average for the match and four 180’s, but as is his habit, Phil rose to the task and delivered a 34.13 p.p.d. average and four 180’s of his own. Very hard to beat the Power when he is shooting like that.

After that exciting match which most people had been dying to watch, you could be excused if you thought the following women’s semi-final would be boring in comparis

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:25 pm

That's great, feels like I'm there at the venue. When is Adams on?
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Potter's Lake

Post by Potter's Lake » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:13 pm

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:10 pm

A bit of a funny field a decade ago.

Quartet Win Grand Slam Spots
https://web.archive.org/web/20101122111 ... 72,00.html
5th November 2010

WES NEWTON, Justin Pipe, Mark Hylton and John Henderson won places in the Daily Mirror Grand Slam of Darts at the ITV Wildcard Qualifier on Friday night.

The quartet battled through a field of 269 players at the Barnsley Metrodome to claim their places at the Grand Slam of Darts, which will be played from November 13-21 and screened live on ITV4.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Got to love the filter

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:16 pm

[2015] PDC Qualifying School Day Four
https://www.pdc.tv/news/2015/01/16/pdc- ... l-day-four
16th January 2015

MAGNUS CARIS, Nathan Derry, Jonny Clayton and Jamie Robinson all won through to secure PDC Tour Cards on the final day of Qualifying School in Wigan, while Robbie Green, Jermaine Wattimena, Haruki Muramatsu and Ken MacNeil were amongst the players who earned a place on the PDC ProTour via the Q School Order of Merit.

Welshman Clayton’s afternoon began with a first round bye before he then swept aside his next two opponents, beating Steven Kirkby 5-1 and Yuji Eguchi 5-0 to reach round four.

The 40-year-old from Llanelli faced much tougher tests in his following matches as he was taken to a deciding leg against both Jake Jones and William O’Connor, before eventually coming through 5-4 in both games to reach the last eight.

And Clayton would go on to secure his maiden PDC Tour Card in much more comfortable fashion as he sealed a whitewash 5-0 win over Andy Boulton in the last eight.

2015 PDC Qualifying School
Automatic Tour Card Winners

Day One: Nigel Heydon, Jeffrey de Zwaan, Alan Norris, Mike Zuydwijk
Day Two: Devon Petersen, Jason Lovett, Andy Jenkins, Matthew Edgar
Day Three: Steve Douglas, Steve West, James Wilson, Jason Wilson
Day Four: Nathan Derry, Jamie Robinson, Jonny Clayton, Magnus Caris

Tour Card Winners from Qualifying School Order of Merit (18)
Andy Boulton, Ken MacNeil, Jermaine Wattimena, Nathan Aspinall, Prakash Jiwa, Chris Dobey, Steve McNally, Haruki Muramatsu, Lee Palfreyman, Tony Richardson, Stephen Willard, Darren Johnson, Robbie Green, Jim Walker, William O'Connor, Johnny Haines, Curtis Hammond, Paul Milford.
not a girl

Malanax

Post by Malanax » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:03 pm

For some reason I thought Clayton was quite a bit younger than 46

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:20 pm

Malanax wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:03 pm For some reason I thought Clayton was quite a bit younger than 46
Plaster is a hard life clearly

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:23 pm

Randall wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:20 pm
Malanax wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:03 pm For some reason I thought Clayton was quite a bit younger than 46
Plaster is a hard life clearly
It is that Welsh air

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:18 pm

Rogg wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:10 pm LAKESIDE SOLD-OUT YET AGAIN!
https://web.archive.org/web/20021205181 ... sold03.htm

5th December 2002

THE EMBASSY WORLD PROFESSIONAL DARTS CHAMPIONSHIPS will once again have capacity audiences for every single one of its nine days at Lakeside Country Club, Frimley Green – the true home of World Darts – from January 4th to 12th, 2003. The box-office became so inundated with ticket applications that it had to close the shutters at the end of September.

“The demand, as always, has been simply incredible”, says BDO PR Consultant Robert Holmes. “Many fans have booked the entire week as a darts holiday, others have gone for the last four days, while the rest have managed to get single sessions.

“Lakeside has operated a system of priorities for bookings in order to keep pace with the huge numbers of ticket applications. But the deluge was bigger than even they could have anticipated! They had to suspend telephone bookings because the staff simply couldn’t cope with the huge number of calls coming in day and night. Mind you, they weren’t complaining. It’s a nice problem to have!

“As the country’s leading cabaret club, Lakeside is used to having superstar bill-toppers, but they are the first to admit that there isn’t a bill-topper around that can beat the Embassy for box-office business”.

The International Play-Offs for Embassy 2003 will take place at The Spa Royal Hall on October 31st, and the live draw will be in the same venue on Sunday, November 3rd. It will be made by reigning Embassy World Snooker Champion Peter Ebdon and double Embassy World Women’s Darts Champion Trina Gulliver live on BBC TV’s ‘Sunday Grandstand’ before the final of the 2002 Winmau World Masters Men’s Singles.

The Embassy World Professional Darts Championships will be played at Lakeside Country Club, Frimley Green from January 4th to 12th, 2003, and televised for nine consecutive days by BBC TV Sport and Dutch broadcasters SBS-6. It is sponsored by Imperial Tobacco Ltd and staged and promoted by the British Darts Organisation.
19 years ago, Trina doing the Lakeshite draw. This time, alongside the reigning World Snooker champion, live on BBC Grandstand and not a spare ticket to be found anywhere.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:28 pm

Robert Holmes
Happy days

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:30 pm

That really is what the BDO website looked like in 2002.

not a girl

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:46 am

From 2001

CHAPMAN TAKES LAST SKOL PLACE

Twenty-year-old Matt Chapman booked the 32nd and final place at this year's Skol World Championships with an impressive 3-0 win over Mark Walsh.
The Sussex county darter came through a tough field to claim his spot in front of the Sky Sports cameras at the New Year.

Chapman swept all before him on his way to the last 32, beating Andy Porri 3-0, Grand Prix qualifier Chris Bowring 3-1 and Alan Caves 3-0 to get to the play-off final, where he made short work of Walsh.

It was a truly impressive display from the youngster, who said afterwards:

"I'm overwhelmed to be there, it's like a dream come true."

Chapman reached the semi-final of the Vauxhall Open in November, where he lost out to Alan Warriner. He also has the National U21 Championship 2001 title, and three U18 England call-ups to his name.

The play-off, which took place in Birmingham on Saturday, produced some of the highest quality darts as the 33 players battled it out for just one spot at Purfleet.

Chris Bowring hit six maximums in his group match victory over Eric Bristow, Ian Walsh hit four against Ian Cullingworth, while Steve Maish shot a total of fifteen ton eighties in his games against Dave Jowatt and Wesley Newton.

Mark Walsh almost stole the show in his group semi-final nailing eight darts at a perfect leg, but his ninth went agonisingly the other side of the wire at D12, before he stepped up to D6 and a ten-dart finish.

The draw for the 2002 Skol World Championships takes place at 5.15pm on Monday 10th, live on Sky Sports News and www.planetdarts.co.uk

Click the Real Video Icon above to watch the moment Matt booked his place, plus an interview with the new rising star.

Results in Full:

Group A

Preliminary Match -

Paul Whitworth 2
Les Hodkinson 1

1st Round -

Darren Gale 1
Keith Rooney 3

Mark Walsh 3
Ian Cullingworth 0

Mark Holden 1
Ian Eames 3

Robbie Widdows 3
Paul Whitworth 1

Semi-final -

Keith Rooney 2
Mark Walsh 3

Ian Eames 0
Robbie Widdows 3

Final -

Mark Walsh 3
Robbie Widdows 0

Group B

1st Round -

Keith Wetton 3
Graham Moulds 0

Trevor Ellacott 1
Kevin Spiolek 3

Nigel Justice 3
Andrew Davies 0

Andrew Gray 1
Lionel Sams 3

Semi-final -

Keith Wetton 2
Kevin Spiolek 3

Nigel Justice 1
Lionel Sams 3

Final -

Kevin Spiolek 2
Lionel Sams 3

Group C

1st Round -

Al Hedman 3
Andrew Adlam 0

Andy Hayfield 0
Wesley Newton 3

Steve Maish 3
Steve Cox 0

Dave Jowatt 3
John King 1

Semi-final -

Al Hedman 0
Wesley Newton 3

Steve Maish 3
Dave Jowatt 2

Final -

Wesley Newton 1
Steve Maish 3

Group D

1st Round -

Chris Bowring 3
Eric Bristow 1

Andy Porri 0
Matt Chapman 3

Lee Palfreyman 1
Bob Crawley 3

Graeme Stoddart 1
Alan Caves 3

Semi-final -

Chris Bowring 1
Matt Chapman 3

Bob Crawley 2
Alan Caves 3

Final -

Matt Chapman 3
Alan Caves 0

Play-off Semi-Final:

Steve Maish 0
Matt Chapman 3

Mark Walsh 3
Lionel Sams 0

Play-off Final:

Matt Chapman 3
Mark Walsh 0

By Gayle Farmer
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:18 pm

Seem to recall one of Taylors 9 darters at the open was against him

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:07 pm

It was indeed

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:09 pm

Player Contracts from November 2001

Professional Darts Corporation Chief Executive, Tim Darby, explains the main points behind the new player contracts and puts the record straight on any idea that they represent the PDC implementing a closed shop policy.
The PDC recently offered contracts to all Professional Darts Players Association members to play in three events in 2002, namely the Skol World Championships, the World Matchplay and the World Grand Prix.

Essentially this meant, that should any individual turn down this contract in order to play in an another event then he would not be eligible, for one year only, to compete in the other two.

This seems fair and equitable, as the PDC has a contract with Sky Sports to deliver the best possible tournaments for all three.

Such contracts allow the PDC to concentrate on providing the best possible basis for players to make a good living from the sport, to continue to innovate in terms of darts coverage on television and support the players as elite professional sportsmen.

A crucial point to make is that the contracts leave the door open to any player, to apply for membership to the PDPA at any point in the year.

A player may decide he wishes to sign in February 2002, at which point he would then become eligible to compete in both the Matchplay and the World Grand Prix.

Equally, any player who chose not to sign this year, can play in all three PDC events in 2003 should he decide to commit to a contract at that time.

All darts players have the right to apply for membership of the PDPA and to reap the benefits that brings, and both the PDC and PDPA want to see a growth in the number of members.

Another important point to make is that the line-up for the World Matchplay and World Grand Prix has not already been decided simply as a result of the current Top 32 signing these contracts. Players must still compete for their place in the rankings, those who do not make the grade will not take to the stage.

Similarly, all three tournaments have provision for qualifiers, which opens up places in these major tournaments to thousands of darts players who wish to compete at the highest level.

The PDC plans to implement a new rankings system in the New Year, to ensure the best and most consistent players on the circuit can progress up the PDC ladder, to make sure the cream of the sport are represented at the three premier televised events, and to allow new members to be rewarded for their performances and move up the ranking list. Full details of this are due to be announced ahead of the Skol World Championships.

The PDC aspires to be the best in the World in the presentation of televised darts and that can only be achieved if the best players are there at the outset.

Key Points of the PDC contracts:

* All players are invited to join the PDPA, making them eligible to compete for places in the Skol World Championship, World Matchplay and World Grand Prix

* Any player deciding against signing the contract would not be eligible to play in the three PDC premier televised events in 2002. At no point does it exclude any player from competing in any other PDC ranked events throughout the year.

* The contracts are for a period of one year only. Any player who wishes to do so, can chose to play in the 2003 Skol by signing up with the PDPA next year, or conversely they can chose not to renew that contract in favour of playing in an another event.

* No player has been excluded from PDC competitions, rather they have been asked to pledge their loyalty to the PDC for a period of twelve months.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:13 pm

I remembered something!