OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
PT13

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by PT13 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:55 pm

Martin Adams was gone from any PDC events after those new rules were introduced, until the 2015 Grand Slam, which was 14 years later.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:09 pm

Rogg wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:00 pm
PT13 wrote:Silly Darryl. He should have gone in 2007. It was probably already too late for him in 2012, just look at what happened to Hankey.
It gets worse.

2007: "I have been in talks about signing up for the PDC, there is an offer on the table. But I've now told them what I want so it's just a case of them coming back to me again."

2012: "I was actually e-mailing the PDC to go to Q School and I changed my mind at the last minute. I think I have got a world championship left in me here."
Good stuff Darryl mate. Who did he think he was in 2007? Elton John?

I wonder how he'd have done in the PDC. There was space in the ranks at times. Timing would have been the key I guess.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:54 pm

Formatting this would take all week but it's all here. A fun read from 2014 featuring everyone's favourite 2022 Q-School entrant.

Rogg wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:22 pm Ross Mcnoloyalty fired up by PDC director's derogatory tweet http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loca ... c9ZV0Zk.97 23rd December 2014 Image Image ROSS ‘The Boss’ Mcnoloyalty reckons a derogatory tweet from a high ranking member of a rival darts organisation will fire him up for next month’s Lakeside World Championships. But the Greenhills thrower has also complained to top ranking officials at the Professional Darts Players Association (PDPA) over the incident. Tommy Cox, who is the co-founder and tournament director of the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) World Championships currently underway in London, took a pot shot at the 52-year-old last week when he poked fun at Mcnoloyalty’s record at the British Darts Organisation (BDO) World Championships. Mcnoloyalty, who has gone as far as the second round at the Lakeside in three of his seven appearances, saw his first round match at next month’s event brought forward from the evening of Sunday, January 4 to the afternoon to suit the television schedules. And afterwards Cox tweeted on his Twitter account @TommyCox_PDC: “One bonus for the BBC, the new deal and the switched games means they will be able to cover the traditional first round exit of Ross the Boss.” Cox later said on the same post: “And not nice of him to continually deride the PDC and anyone who crosses over, especially not nice from one who has won 0.” --------------------------- But Ross, who has 14 titles to his name including the Zuiderduin Masters, told the News: “Little does he know things like that only fire me up, so hopefully I can shut him up at the Lakeside. “He seems to think I ridicule PDC players, but that’s not the case at all. I know players who have gone to the PDC and done ok, but there’s lots of people that think they are way above their station. They have done nothing on the BDO side of the game before moving on and I think it’s wrong. “They should learn in the BDO – in the ‘amateur’ game that the PDC call us – before they move over because so many players move, achieve nothing and then plead to get back to the BDO. :lol: “His other part of the tweet, saying I had won nothing, shows he obviously hasn’t checked the history of my achievements.” -------------------- Ross believes Cox has broken Darts Regulation Authority (DRA) rules on social media conduct and has emailed a complaint to PDPA chairman Peter Manley and chief executive Andrew Warriner-Little. The DRA guidelines state figures in the sport should not “talk negatively about other competitors, countries, organisations or brands” and warns “remember that you are an ambassador for your sport.” Mcnoloyalty added: “He’s breaching DRA rules about social media comments. You are not allowed to speak badly of other organisations or other players. “I’ve emailed the PDPA but I haven’t received a reply yet.” A spokesman for the PDC said: “The twitter account referred to is the personal account of Tommy Cox and does not represent the views of the PDC. “The profile of the account clearly states that views are his own. “Any hypothetical breach of the PDC’s social media policy would be dealt with internally.”
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:06 am

Mr Bump for the Thornton switch as it was mentioned in the other thread. He's looking forward to playing in the Blue Square UK Open.

Robert Thornton Joins PDC
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/1lui0lwn ... -joins-pdc
21st May 2008

ROBERT THORNTON, the current BDO number one, has moved onto the Professional Darts Corporation circuit and joined the PDPA.

The Scottish star won the 2007 World Masters and this year's Dutch Open, before recently coming through the Holsten Qualifiers to win a place in next month's Blue Square UK Open.

Thornton, from Stevenston in Ayrshire, has now joined the Professional Dart Players Association and will play on the PDC circuit full-time from June.

He reached the quarter-finals of last weekend's Welsh Open, and is currently ranked number one in the BDO system and number three in the WDF.

Thornton will follow up his appearance in the UK Open by competing in the two Players Championship events at Bristol in June in a late bid to win a place in the Stan James World Matchplay, before travelling to the PartyPoker.net Las Vegas Desert Classic Qualifiers at the end of the month.

"I'm excited about coming across to the PDC," said Thornton. "I'd reached number one in the BDO but I sat down with my wife and discussed it and thought it was time for a change.

"It was a big decision for me, but I'm looking forward to my career in the PDC now.

"I know quite a lot of players already and I've got on well with James Wade when we've done some exhibitions together this year, so it won't be too hard to settle in."

He added: "My aim is initially to enjoy the Blue Square UK Open in Bolton and then break into the top 16 on the PDC Order of Merit.

"I'll be trying my hardest to qualify for every major tournament from now on, and if I can play my best darts I should hopefully be able to do that."

Thornton's World Masters win over Darryl Fitton last November saw him qualify for November's PartyPoker.com Grand Slam of Darts.

And his Blue Square UK Open challenge will begin on Thursday June 5 at Bolton against Russia's World Ladies Champion Anastasia Dobromyslova, live on Sky Sports.

Thornton did play in the Scottish Regional Final of the 2006-2007 UK Open, reaching the quarter-finals in Irvine.

PDC Chairman Barry Hearn said: "We welcome all quality players to the PDC and I applaud Robert's ambition to play amongst the sport's elite players for millions of pounds in prize money.

"I wish him the best of luck and he has already made clear his ambitions to be successful at the highest level of darts.

"He has done superbly well to become the number one in the BDO system and it's exciting to see him accept the challenge of starting afresh on the PDC Pro Tour."
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:52 pm

Does 'cyberdarts.com' ring a bell? Here's a great quaint old thing about the 1997 World Matchplay. The whole thing is worth reading. Just this once.

Some horrible typos and worse, including one in this part which stood out for me. A clue as to the times, at the heart of the split: "applications will be treated in strick confidence". Don't let the wanking mushroom gestapo catch you.

BLACKPOOL PLAYS HOST ONCE AGAIN TO ONE OF DARTS' PREMIER TOURNAMENTS
https://web.archive.org/web/19980126042 ... poolt.html
12th May 1997

This summer the famous seaside resort of Blackpool will once again play host to the WDC World Matchplay Tournament. With a reputation as an entertainment capital, the town of Blackpool provides an ideal backdrop for one of the world's most prestigious darts tournaments.

The World Darts Council have decided, for the fourth consecutive year, to stage this thrilling event at the famous Winter Gardens building in the shadow of Blackpool's famous tower. All the action will take place in the striking 1,600 capacity Empress Ballroom between Sunday 27 July and Saturday 2 August.

Peter Evision, the current World Matchplay Champion, will face stiff competition for his 1996 title when he faces the other big guns of the World Darts Council's professional ranks. Among those sure to have all guns blazing will be current World No. 1 Dennis Priestley, "Gentleman" John Lowe, Alan "Iceman" Warriner, the 1995 Matchplay Champion and recently crowned 5 times World Champion Phil Taylor and the Crafty Cockney himself, Eric Bristow.

---

Sky Sports' commitment to televising professional darts is demonstrated by their guarantee of at least 40 hours of live TV coverage for this event. Sky TV's Martin Turner will once again be in the Director's chair and his innovative approach to televising darts will ensure a slick, glamorous and exciting feel to the week's proceedings.

Over the years, Sky's use of leading edge technology has brought their viewers even closer to the action, remember 1996's under-arm cam? The Super-Slo-Mo camera was another new feature introduced at the 96/97 World Championships, which allowed the armchair fan to follow the dart in flight, from leaving the player's hand to finding its target on the board. This allows the fans at home and in the pubs and clubs across the country to assess each player's individual style, and gives an unprecedented view of darts in action.

Sky's commentary team will again consist of three of darts' most well known voices; the tempered tones of Dave Lanning; the expert opinion of John Gwynne and the incomparable Sid Waddell's unique and unorthodox style.

---

Once again the World Darts Council are offering amateur players a unique opportunity to play against the best players in the world. The WDC World Matchplay qualifying event will take place on the afternoon of Saturday 26 July at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool. Contestants will take part in a knockout tournamnet that will whittle down the initial entry to a final pool of eight players. The victorious qualifiers will then be offered the exciting opportunity of playing against the stars of the WDC ranked 25-32. The qualifiers will experience the heady atmosphere of the Empress Ballroom as they take part in one of the world's most prestigious darts tournaments. Their skill and nerve will be tested to the full as they contednd with the big match occasion, the noisy crowd, and should they win their first games, the lights and cameras from Sky Sports and, of course, the challenge of playing the best players from around the world.

The qualifying tournament is open to all amateur darts players of all ages, however there are only 128 places available and applications will be treated in strick confidence on a first come first served basis. The tournmant will be held on Saturday 26 July 1997 from 12 noon in the Empress Ballroom at the Winter Gardens, Blackpool and the tournament entry fee is £5.00. For all entry form requests and other enquiries please telephone Mr. Tommy Cox, Tournament Director on 0191 252 4181. Applications by post should be sent to World of Darts, 27 Berrishill Grove, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear, NE25 9XU and must include a stamped addressed envelope. Cheques and Postal orders for five pounds should be made payable to World Darts Promotions Ltd.

---

The WDC is keen to promote darts to the widest possible audience and is committed to nurturing young talent at all times. The Darts for Kids activity, which proved so popular at last year's matchplay, will run again this year, giving children the chance to learn more about the game from the Stars of WDC Pro Darts.

Darts for Kids sessions will be held every morning of the tournament between 10:00 and 11:00am Admission is free for children under the age of 15, when accompanied by an adult with a valid admission ticket for either session of that day's play.

Tickets for the tournament are available for all sessions on all dates and range from £3.00 for one session to £32.00 for a Season Ticket. For prices, times and further information please apply in person to the Box Office or Tel: 01253 27786. Tickets can also be ordered from Tickets North - Tel: 0161 242 2529. For group bookings Tel: 01253 292029.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:39 pm

Not sure about the expression 'wanking mushroom gestapo' on reflection.

Moving on, here's what passed as online coverage of darts in 1996.

not a girl

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:45 pm

Lim losing in the 2nd round of an event, how times don’t change

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:35 pm

Rogg looking at what i posted a few weeks ago there
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:52 pm

oche balboa wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:35 pm Rogg looking at what i posted a few weeks ago there
It's going to slow me down massively if I need your permission to access the Internet but well done mate. It's a treasure chest of wonderful old nonsense. Battle of the Champions coming next.
not a girl

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:05 pm

Cheers mate

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:07 pm

World Darts Council Press Release: WDC/BDO WORLD CHAMPIONS' CLASH
https://web.archive.org/web/19980126042 ... clash.html
12th May 1997

For the first time in nearly four long years, rival World Darts Championsh will be squaring up live on Sky Sports.

Sunday 29th June 1997 will see the Clash of the Titans of the modern game, when current World Darts Council World Champion Phil "The Power" Taylor, who has also won in 1995, will face the BDO's 1995 Embassy World Champion Ritchie Burnett.

On the same bill is 1994 WDC World Champion Dennis Priestley playing his opposite number, Canada's John Part, who won the Embassy title in that same year. The final match will see an old sparring partners clash, when the legendary "Crafty Cockney", Eric Bristow, takes on Wales' Alan Evans.

The three matches, entitled "The Crest Premium Lager Battle of The Champions" will be seen live on Sky Sports from the spiritual home of World Championship darts, The Circus Tavern, Purfleet, Essex from 7:30pm to 11:30pm.

Under current BDO rules, Burnett, Part and Evans should now be banned by their organisation for agreeing to play against the outlawed WDC Professionals, a ruling which is subject toa a "Restraint of Trade" suit issued by fourteen WDC professionals which will be heard in the High Court on the 23rd June, the week before "The Crest Premium Lager Battle of The Champions".
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:24 pm

Taylor was in incredible form that night

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:41 pm

The Tomlin order came about just before this. But Bobby George rejected the chance to play Bristow and Taylor didn't want to play Wallace

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:52 pm

oche balboa wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:41 pm The Tomlin order came about just before this. But Bobby George rejected the chance to play Bristow and Taylor didn't want to play Wallace
I'm sure Taylor was petrified of Wallace.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:28 pm

Of course he was

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:35 pm

Never knowingly outcunted by anyone, the BDO plucked Russia from the human race years ago. Remember this official BDO match report. Disgraceful.

Anastasia fells giant of darts Gulliver to reach final
[dead link]
12th January 2012

Nine times world champion Trina Gulliver crashed out of the championship, whitewashed 2-0 by Russian Anastasia Dobromyslova in just 31 minutes.

In a repeat of the 2008 world final, the Somerset third seed failed for the first time to reach the final as the unseeded East European played mind games to topple the Golden Girl.

Arrogance and self confidence exuded from the Russian but Gulliver let her darts do the talking, as took the opening leg against the throw after Dobromyslova missed 10 doubles.

A maximum steered the Golden Girl to the next, the snarling black-shirted Russian taking the third on double 12 and in the fourth she set the pace, levelling the match on double 12 and turning to salute the crowd, the Somerset player bemused by her opponent's behaviour.

Dobromyslova, clearly slowing the game and playing the crowd, missed double 18 for a set-winning double 18 and a further three for the same double but it was catching - Gulliver missing bull for 81 to steal the set. The Russian made no mistake on her return to the oche, nailing double 18.

The unseeded player – who beat Gulliver in the 2008 world championship seemed to grow in confidence with her mind games over the tense nine times world champ, who fluffed darts for doubles in the opening leg of the second as the Russian exited on 56.

Gulliver was first to the double in the next leg but missed double five for 95, Dobromyslova missing bull for 121. The Golden Girl missed a further two chances as the underdog clinched her favourite double 12 to move within a leg of victory.

Again in the third, the player from Cheddar requiring 105 saw her form desert her as she hit 92, opening the door for Dobromyslova to move into her second final with a match-winning 50.

Both players failed to hit the 24 per dart average, illustrating the tension which had affected both competitors.
not a girl

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:49 pm

Fucking hell

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:52 pm

The fucking state of that
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:53 pm

That puts Sky's bias to shame..

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:02 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:49 pm Fucking hell
The Thorn wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:52 pm The fucking state of that
I remember people being rather shocked about it at the time. When asked for comment...

A spokesman for the BDO said: “We employ a freelance journalist, who is unbiased, to write our match reports. We stand by the report.”

They doubled down. Nice bunch of folks eh.
not a girl