2016 PDC World Matchplay Thread

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Jobber

Re: 2016 PDC World Matchplay Thread

Post by Jobber » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:00 pm

Justin Credible wrote:
Jobber wrote:Oh, and let us never speak of Adrian 'The History Maker' Lewis again. A down right embarrassment to the game.

quick thoughts on the other semi final between taylor and ando ?

Looked like Taylor knew he had him form the word go. tbh I skipped it after the 2nd session. I see Anderson cut a "ach, I don't really care about winning the matchplay" interview after it. :roll:

Jobber

Post by Jobber » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Lister of Smeg wrote:My favourite moment in the game was his mental breakdown. :D

That Icelandic clap shit had me doubled over with laughter. :lol: :lol:

We don't want robotic, generic floor players and we certainly don't want top players having a laugh and a joke up there.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Cooking with Sanchez wrote:Difficult to do that imo. Even Part, whose second PDC title was pretty fortunate in that he beat a shite Shepherd in the final, beat Taylor in the final when in his prime. Not many others can say that.
People can mention the Shepherd match in the final, but there's no question that Part was the best player throughout the 2008 World Championship. Part also beat both Wade and Painter, which doesn't seem to be mentioned as often as the Shepherd victory. Wade had been the best player of recent months, and Painter had been the second best player at the 2008 World Championship.
Rogg wrote:Not to talk down Part's win at all - the 2003 final is my favourite match of all-time - but I wouldn't say Taylor was anywhere near his prime that particular week. His aura was in its prime though, no denying that.
Phil Taylor had lost too much weight too soon, but I wouldn't overstate its importance. John Part was in the form of his life at the time and certainly at his most consistent. Part's mental approach against Taylor was always extremely impressive.

Lister of Smeg

Post by Lister of Smeg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:05 pm

The icelandic clap was hilarious but that insincere clapping he did was funnier albeit for the wrong reason. A mental breakdown better than anything James Wade could ever do

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:24 pm

Jobber wrote:That sure wasn't one of Taylor's mates up there playing him last night. :o

That shit was the perfect game. The attitude, the finishing (%66 ffs), picking off the t19 with utter ease, not buckling under that "Taylor Wonderland" song and that 13 dart leg with two treble-less visits was the icing on the cake.

He's going to leave the rest of his era a mile behind on the trophy count imo.
An immaculate performance from start to finish. Taylor like a toddler desperate for his attention and getting none.

Now imagine there was no MvG... Taylor-Lewis final, Taylor smiling kindly at him all night, friendly fist bumps and light banter. Taylor relaxed wins 18-12 to non-stop Taylor Wonderland songs and Lewis looking delighted to have been involved. Thank god for van Gerwen I say. The love-in has been well and truly shattered.
not a girl

Jobber

Post by Jobber » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Rogg wrote:
Jobber wrote:That sure wasn't one of Taylor's mates up there playing him last night. :o

That shit was the perfect game. The attitude, the finishing (%66 ffs), picking off the t19 with utter ease, not buckling under that "Taylor Wonderland" song and that 13 dart leg with two treble-less visits was the icing on the cake.

An immaculate performance from start to finish. Taylor like a toddler desperate for his attention and getting none.

Now imagine there was no MvG... Taylor-Lewis final, Taylor smiling kindly at him all night, friendly fist bumps and light banter. Taylor relaxed wins 18-12 to non-stop Taylor Wonderland songs and Lewis looking delighted to have been involved. Thank god for van Gerwen I say. The love-in has been well and truly shattered.

Nailed it. Taylor would have scooped the lot over the last few years if MvG wasn't around. Been waiting years to see someone like that. No love in and he doesn't slag off taylor on the mic. That shit kills careers eg mason, awl, nicho.

Lewis had a fucking shocker of a week. A spat with Gerwyn 'Who' Price and adopting Brendan Dolan tactics. :oops: He might as well fuck off until ally pally starts.
Last edited by Jobber on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jobber

Post by Jobber » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:40 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

That shit just doesn't work.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:57 pm

^^according to darts database, Taylor had beaten MvG FIFTEEN times in a row before that meeting, TV and floor, starting with their Round 1 match at the 2008 Worlds. :shock: and look at him there, the moment the tables were turned...
not a girl

Lister of Smeg

Post by Lister of Smeg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 pm

I loved that match. Taylor was at his best and was still getting bettered by MvG. The old prick was fuming.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 pm

Rogg wrote:^^according to darts database, Taylor had beaten MvG FIFTEEN times in a row before that meeting, TV and floor, starting with their Round 1 match at the 2008 Worlds. :shock: and look at him there, the moment the tables were turned...
It wasn't the moment the tables were turned at all. After MvG beat Taylor at the 2012 Grand Slam, Taylor beat MvG in the 2013 World Championship final, MvG beat Taylor in the 2013 Premier League final, Taylor beat MvG in the quarter finals of the 2013 UK Open and in the 2013 Sydney Darts Masters final. MvG's famous win over Taylor in the final of the 2013 Players Championship, coming from 3-6 down to win 11-7, was the changing of the guard. However, Taylor still responded positively to that infamous 7-0 defeat at MvG's hands during the 2014 Premier League by winning the return match, and then came that 18-9 Taylor victory over MvG. in the 2014 World Matchplay final followed by 11-9 in the 2014 Perth Darts Masters.

Since then the tables have turned. The period from late 2012 to late 2014 was competitive between them, but Taylor won most tournaments in 2013 and won their biggest 2014 match. Taylor's consistency has suffered. Without consistency, you cannot bully your opponent.

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:08 pm

Rogg wrote:^^according to darts database, Taylor had beaten MvG FIFTEEN times in a row before that meeting, TV and floor, starting with their Round 1 match at the 2008 Worlds. :shock: and look at him there, the moment the tables were turned...
I remember watching that match in a bar in Spain. A few days later he struggled to beat Mark Walsh in the second round, if memory serves.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:09 pm

PT13 wrote:
It wasn't the moment the tables were turned at all. After MvG beat Taylor at the 2012 Grand Slam, Taylor beat MvG in the 2013 World Championship final, MvG beat Taylor in the 2013 Premier League final, Taylor beat MvG in the quarter finals of the 2013 UK Open and in the 2013 Sydney Darts Masters final. MvG's famous win over Taylor in the final of the 2013 Players Championship, coming from 3-6 down to win 11-7, was the changing of the guard. However, Taylor still responded positively to that infamous 7-0 defeat at MvG's hands during the 2014 Premier League by winning the return match, and then came that 18-9 Taylor victory over MvG. in the 2014 World Matchplay final followed by 11-9 in the 2014 Perth Darts Masters.

Since then the tables have turned. The period from late 2012 to late 2014 was competitive between them, but Taylor won most tournaments in 2013 and won their biggest 2014 match. Taylor's consistency has suffered. Without consistency, you cannot bully your opponent.
Yes I know, I didn't actually mean that. I meant this one particular match where, having lost 15 times in a row over a period of about 5 years, here he was finally winning.
not a girl

mattp

Post by mattp » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 pm

Rogg wrote:

This 100% ^^^
I'm nowhere near bored of the MvG domination yet. I'm sure it will come one day.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:15 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:
I remember watching that match in a bar in Spain. A few days later he struggled to beat Mark Walsh in the second round, if memory serves.
Yeah that's the one, Walsh and Tabern, struggled past them both and then Mardle finally got him in the quarter-final. Every match he played in that event was incredible. A jobber version of MvG, Walsh, Tabern, Mardle... such a stuggle, he just couldn't keep going. His revenge would be blood-curdling obviously but what a couple of weeks it was.
not a girl

Jobber

Post by Jobber » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:15 pm

It was the night he got his career back on track. Another thing he has is the ability to take a session 5-0, 4-1 and sometimes go on a 6/7 leg run. No one else can do that.

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:16 pm

Rogg wrote:
The Ginge Reaper wrote:
Yeah that's the one, Walsh and Tabern, struggled past them both and then Mardle finally got him in the quarter-final. Every match he played in that event was incredible. A jobber version of MvG, Walsh, Tabern, Mardle... such a stuggle, he just couldn't keep going. His revenge would be blood-curdling obviously but what a couple of weeks it was.
Aye was a great week. A pound a pint and €1.40 to the pound, won't get that again too often :D
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

PT13

Post by PT13 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:18 pm

Rogg wrote:Yes I know, I didn't actually mean that. I meant this one particular match where, having lost 15 times in a row over a period of about 5 years, here he was finally winning.
Yes, people did speculate that MvG's win over Taylor at the 2012 Grand Slam was a changing of the guard at the time as 2012 had been a very mixed year for Taylor while MvG was starting to really fire in the second half of that year, but Taylor finished 2012 on a high by winning the Players Championship and responded with his 2013 year where he won everything on the TV except the Premier League, the European Championship and the Players Championship. Lewis was also at his most consistent in 2013, and somewhat of a thorn in MvG's side, beating him in the European Championship, the World Matchplay and the Grand Slam of Darts.

Taylor and Lewis are a long way from being those players of 3 years ago, and MvG is now considerably more experienced about what it takes to not only win TV tournaments, but to dominate.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:20 pm

Jobber wrote:
Rogg wrote:

Nailed it. Taylor would have scooped the lot over the last few years if MvG wasn't around.
no chance.
Putting MVG aside for a moment, Taylor is not his best, and has not been his best for years, and before someone says just cos MVg, there is his age, his divorce etc.

And if MVG was not around he would have scooped fuckall still, as you only need look at when MVG has missed out on a comp, so has he.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:28 pm

Taylor would have won a lot in 2016 without MvG in his way (Masters, UK Open, Premier League, World Matchplay). In 2015, he wouldn't have won any of the majors, MvG or not. Taylor's flat off year in 2015, combined with MvG truly dominating 2015, seems to mean that Taylor has lost that edge over MvG. Taylor missing all those match darts in the Masters match, the Premier League final battering and now the World Matchplay final defeat, has only made this worse.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:35 pm

Heh, that's true. This year MvG has knocked Taylor out of Masters semis (missed about 7 darts for the match?!), UK Open semis (was 6-3 up or something?), Premier League final (battered) and Matchplay final (humiliated).

Nobody else was able to stop Taylor in any of those. Would Chizzy have beaten him in the Masters final? Wright in the UK Open final? I doubt it. Take MvG out of 2016 and Taylor is cleaning up the TV titles IMO.
not a girl