Cannibals - the most retarded forum comments ever thread...

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Zeyes

Re: Cannibals - the most retarded forum comments ever threa

Post by Zeyes » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:05 pm

cannibal wrote:The idea that this women qualifier thing is about setting up a women's tour is almost as ridiculous. This is all about creating some buzz about WC expansion and making a small push to get women out for the q school, CT, and DT. This is nothing more than marketing ploy. No one wants to watch a women's tour and women playing each other with their 80 avg isn't going to bring them in line with the men's standard. Putting the women into the CT and DT is the way to find the women who have what it takes to play a standard that dart fans will watch. A women or two that can play consistently against the men will make money for the PDC. A women's tour will be a major money suck that will go nowhere.
I'm not so sure about that. The problem is that women's darts is of such a low level compared to men's darts right now that it could well require a women's development tour of sorts for a while in order to get anywhere in the long run.

Of course, the even bigger problem with that is that they would need to design it in such a way that the female players are incentivized to aim at participation on the bigger tours, too, and I'm honestly not sure if that's possible. For all the complaints about the women's prize money being too low everywhere, it's still much higher than it has any right to be given the level of competition, and many of the female players are probably not very keen to leave their subsidized corner of the darts world and take the risk of mixed competition with potentially even lower payouts.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Zeyes wrote:
cannibal wrote:The idea that this women qualifier thing is about setting up a women's tour is almost as ridiculous. This is all about creating some buzz about WC expansion and making a small push to get women out for the q school, CT, and DT. This is nothing more than marketing ploy. No one wants to watch a women's tour and women playing each other with their 80 avg isn't going to bring them in line with the men's standard. Putting the women into the CT and DT is the way to find the women who have what it takes to play a standard that dart fans will watch. A women or two that can play consistently against the men will make money for the PDC. A women's tour will be a major money suck that will go nowhere.
I'm not so sure about that. The problem is that women's darts is of such a low level compared to men's darts right now that it could well require a women's development tour of sorts for a while in order to get anywhere in the long run.

Of course, the even bigger problem with that is that they would need to design it in such a way that the female players are incentivized to aim at participation on the bigger tours, too, and I'm honestly not sure if that's possible. For all the complaints about the women's prize money being too low everywhere, it's still much higher than it has any right to be given the level of competition, and many of the female players are probably not very keen to leave their subsidized corner of the darts world and take the risk of mixed competition with potentially even lower payouts.
Both are correct. Laughable to tell anyone nowadays that they'd be better off in the BDO, but with the female players this might actually be the case
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Some fair points Zeyes. But I don't see ladies darts sufficiently closing the gap to the mens standard. Sufficiently meaning that a decent pct of women pros being able to compete in the middle of the pack of the Pro Tour consistently, that is about 90 avg. The throwing gap is real and persistent as a stylized scientific fact that one can find. There may be a women or two or even maybe three that just might be able to obtain a tour card and maybe do well in an odd event or two and maybe even one women who could get an invite to a major every so often coming thru the pro tour criteria. But that will be the anomaly.

So I still contend the best solution with the lowest risk and cost to the PDC, given that a very few women will ever be able to compete with Pro men, is to test them against the same field the men are. Prove you have the standard and get the tour card etc...
The only women who may just have the potential is that 14 year old Greaves. But that won't be determined for several more years. Will be interesting to see how she gets on in the DT when she is old enough. Hopefully by then her parents geography is improved so they can actually get her to the events.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Stole this one from Rog's thread, he is young he will get over it :lol:

Paul Nicholson @TheAsset180
Any PDC tour allows both women and men to play, so nothing is stopping them. Also, there’s no reason why a woman can’t be as good as a man, so the opportunity is there. A women’s tour would be great though.

Actually yes there is a reason and there exist decades of science to back it. Ok I lie technically science doesn't know the specific reason but it does know there exist a difference in gender when it comes to throwing, persistent and consistent across cultures as well. Most of the research has been done in throwing over hand, i.e. over shoulder style throwing, but there is some research in darts as well as various modified over shoulder throwing like cricket as well as different sized objects and shapes.

All the evidence points to a well excepted conclusion that the throwing gap exists and as boys and girls age the gap grows especially in the measures of velocity and distance. It seems that this is all mostly due to strength (i.e. brute force) and not technique according to the research. (I changed this from the original post, pardon my dyslexia). (the point is technique appears to be more ingrained at a younger age for boys than girls as a natural process. But when at older ages the technique is the same strength becomes a more predominant factor in the gender differences for the measures of velocity and distance.) Tho darts is different than throwing a ball it still requires muscle and technique. Muscle in the sense of arm speed that controls velocity of the dart and to be able to do it over and over for 30 minutes or so. So throwing a dart is an explosive movement as well, just not incorporating more of the body as does throwing a ball or a javelin for e.g.

Various studies that I have read that talk about the gender difference in darts come to a consistent conclusion that there is a gap and that gap is consistent across various skill levels. For e.g. the best pro men and the best pro ladies are for e.g. seperated by an avg of 10 pts, if we look at the gap in standard between novices the seperation is again about 10 pts. (I can't recall what the number was exactly but you get the idea).

Just because one like Mr Nicholson wants to believe in a conclusion doesn't make it reality or even plausible. Just consider the facts that the best 6 women can't consistently throw at the standard of even 50% of the top men. Simple observations and understanding actually support the science of the throwing gap.
Last edited by cannibal on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We Desire Information.

Chizzyfan

Post by Chizzyfan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Six word summary?

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:43 pm

For you chizzyfan, I will do it in six words.
Fact, men throw better than women.
We Desire Information.

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:59 pm

cannibal wrote:For you chizzyfan, I will do it in six words.
Was it the late Sid Waddell who once quoted :

''Their tits get in the way''

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Mabbsy wrote:

Didn't bother Taylor!
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:16 pm

Father Rout wrote:
Mabbsy wrote:

Didn't bother Taylor!
:D

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 pm

The full comment fits better in here. As mentioned in the BDO thread already, from another forum:
Darts is a blast. No excuse for the BDO to keep doing bad. Make it fun. PDC needs to do the same. Yes I know Skysports is forcing things on them. Bring nack the girls, the cigarettes, the booze. Darts is fun not chess
(Posted in a discussion about the BDO's administrative woes, no less, so no idea how the PDC ended up figuring in this response.)

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Yes lets go backwards in the approach to taking the ol' darts seriously. Lets put them back of the pub playing with their caps and jackets on.
We Desire Information.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:52 am

Yanked from TSOD:

HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:10 am

Was he still white-knighting for Des on Facebook up to the AGM or was that strictly an act for the TSOD audience before he bounced? If the former, he may be finding the recent developments somewhat hard to align with his "I'm never wrong" attitude...

Trueblue32

Post by Trueblue32 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:02 am

Neil Watts with a sympathy post, there

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:40 am

Dear fucking god. Not the poll, read the comments.

Yes, a British organisation is really going to get an Irish TV station, which doesnt broadcast in England/Wales/Scotland, to show it :pointing: :pointing:
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:19 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:

Dear fucking god. Not the poll, read the comments.

Yes, a British organisation is really going to get an Irish TV station, which doesnt broadcast in England/Wales/Scotland, to show it :pointing: :pointing:
Unbelievable where do you start lol

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:49 pm

"our"
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:08 pm

My phone refuses to load the page.
What's he done now?

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Randall wrote:My phone refuses to load the page.
What's he done now?
He hasnt done anything. Just someone in the comments thinks that an Irish TV station that doesnt broadcast to the UK mainland will pick up Lakeside :D
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:19 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:
Randall wrote:My phone refuses to load the page.
What's he done now?
He hasnt done anything. Just someone in the comments thinks that an Irish TV station that doesnt broadcast to the UK mainland will pick up Lakeshite :D
Sounds perfect to me.