The not Rogg's Twatter Watch

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Captain Hobo

Re: Rogg's Twatter Watch

Post by Captain Hobo » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:07 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:07 pm
Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:37 am I think it'd be better if Tour Card holders were ineligible for such Qualifiers, and you've got to think that might be the case if Devon wasn't so 'marketable'.
Wasn't that the case at one point? Maybe I'm getting confused with Devon being absent a few years back because of his elbow or whatever it was.
Full list of African players at PDC Worlds and how they Qualified

2007 - Wynand Havenga - Won South African Masters
2008 - Charles Losper - Won South African Open
2009 - Charles Losper - Won South African Qualifier
2010 - Les Francis - Won South African Qualifier
2011 - Devon Petersen - Won South African Qualifier
2012 - Devon Petersen - Won South African Qualifier
2013 - Charl Pietersen - Won South African Qualifier - Devon didn't play due to arm injury
2014 - Devon Petersen - Won South African Qualifier
2015 - Nolan Arendse - Won South African Qualifier - Beat Devon in the final
2016 - Warrick Scheffer - Won South African Qualifier - Not sure if Devon played in that, he did lose in the PDPA Qualifier that year
2017 - Devon Petersen - PDC Pro Tour Qualifier
2018 - Devon Petersen - Highest Ranked African on PDC OOM
2019 - Devon Petersen - Won African Qualifier
2020 - Devon Petersen - Won African Qualifier

So the first year that Devon qualified by right, was also the first year in 10 years that Uncle Barry couldn't get an African Qualifier organised. Then the next year they just shoehorn Devon in due to his ranking, and again no Qualifier is played.

Then when it expands to 96 players and Devon isn't even near qualifying by right, the African qualifier reappears.

Now that Taylor has retired, it seems that PDC stands for Putting Devon on Camera. ;)
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:33 pm

Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:07 pm
Fiss Plaps wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:07 pm
Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:37 am I think it'd be better if Tour Card holders were ineligible for such Qualifiers, and you've got to think that might be the case if Devon wasn't so 'marketable'.
Wasn't that the case at one point? Maybe I'm getting confused with Devon being absent a few years back because of his elbow or whatever it was.
Full list of African players at PDC Worlds and how they Qualified

2007 - Wynand Havenga - Won South African Masters
2008 - Charles Losper - Won South African Open
2009 - Charles Losper - Won South African Qualifier
2010 - Les Francis - Won South African Qualifier
2011 - Devon Petersen - Won South African Qualifier
2012 - Devon Petersen - Won South African Qualifier
2013 - Charl Pietersen - Won South African Qualifier - Devon didn't play due to arm injury
2014 - Devon Petersen - Won South African Qualifier
2015 - Nolan Arendse - Won South African Qualifier - Beat Devon in the final
2016 - Warrick Scheffer - Won South African Qualifier - Not sure if Devon played in that, he did lose in the PDPA Qualifier that year
2017 - Devon Petersen - PDC Pro Tour Qualifier
2018 - Devon Petersen - Highest Ranked African on PDC OOM
2019 - Devon Petersen - Won African Qualifier
2020 - Devon Petersen - Won African Qualifier

So the first year that Devon qualified by right, was also the first year in 10 years that Uncle Barry couldn't get an African Qualifier organised. Then the next year they just shoehorn Devon in due to his ranking, and again no Qualifier is played.

Then when it expands to 96 players and Devon isn't even near qualifying by right, the African qualifier reappears.

Now that Taylor has retired, it seems that PDC stands for Putting Devon on Camera. ;)
Flicking through the 2017 Worlds thread here, I believe South Africa were supposed to put on a qualifier, but messed up, hence there were 4 qualifiers in that awful PDPA qualifier, I think the fact that Devon qualified via the ProTour was just a coincidence

Congrats to his countrymen this morning, been a good week or so for him!

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:37 am I think the rest of that paragraph sums up my thoughts pretty well.

It's a free kick for Devon no doubt, using it as a back up to qualify for Ally Pally when he has failed to do so over the year. And in turn helping keep his Tour Card.

I think it'd be better if Tour Card holders were ineligible for such Qualifiers, and you've got to think that might be the case if Devon wasn't so 'marketable'.
If they're serious about developing the game overseas, then they'd do something like that, because Petersen is basically a domestic guy these days with him being based in the UK (in Yorkshire?). That said, a spot at the Worlds on its own isn't enough, these players need regular games against good players, though I appreciate that it takes a lot of money and effort on ge PDC's part to do that for every region in the world.

On the other hand, we do want the best players from each region in the event, we've seen how the Associate qualifiers in Euro Tour events have been a disaster. I also get that it gives the likes of Devon and Portela a leg up, but then again, for the British lads, there are at least 67 spots available for tour regulars, if you still can't make it, don't be blaming anyone else.

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Petersen is an annoying tosser and Painter was just needling him a bit. Devon obviously touchy about it because he knows full well his "career" is based off being the big fish in that tiny pond, he'd never make it any other way and even with it "making it" is a bit of a stretch. Fed up of SKY pushing him all the time, he's bang average at absolute best and he's even worse in the studio and commentary than he is while throwing on stage.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:47 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:20 pm Petersen is an annoying tosser and Painter was just needling him a bit. Devon obviously touchy about it because he knows full well his "career" is based off being the big fish in that tiny pond, he'd never make it any other way and even with it "making it" is a bit of a stretch. Fed up of SKY pushing him all the time, he's bang average at absolute best and he's even worse in the studio and commentary than he is while throwing on stage.
Whats all that arm bending crap on his walk on!

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:18 pm

Peterson comes across as a good guy. But aye, I could do without his commentary.

His obsession with the "big fish" 170 checkout was annoying.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

Potter's Lake

Post by Potter's Lake » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:21 pm

Dev and Kev, what a sitcom. Petersen did remarkably well at the Worlds last year, kinda justifies his inclusion despite being useless otherwise - on and off the oche.

Cinnamon Bun

Post by Cinnamon Bun » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:49 pm

Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:37 am
I think it'd be better if Tour Card holders were ineligible for such Qualifiers, and you've got to think that might be the case if Devon wasn't so 'marketable'.
It'll be bad if the PDC stopped tour card holders from going to the qualifiers cuz they have had good performances at previous worlds and the viewers at home will be expecting to see them again
Last edited by Cinnamon Bun on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
One of the many members of the "get Chris Mason off comentary" institution.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:01 am

thegentle wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:41 pm
Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:37 am I think the rest of that paragraph sums up my thoughts pretty well.

It's a free kick for Devon no doubt, using it as a back up to qualify for Ally Pally when he has failed to do so over the year. And in turn helping keep his Tour Card.

If they're serious about developing the game overseas, then they'd do something like that, because Petersen is basically a domestic guy these days with him being based in the UK (in Yorkshire?). That said, a spot at the Worlds on its own isn't enough, these players need regular games against good players, though I appreciate that it takes a lot of money and effort on ge PDC's part to do that for every region in the world.

On the other hand, we do want the best players from each region in the event, we've seen how the Associate qualifiers in Euro Tour events have been a disaster. I also get that it gives the likes of Devon and Portela a leg up, but then again, for the British lads, there are at least 67 spots available for tour regulars, if you still can't make it, don't be blaming anyone else.
I too am a bit undecided on tour card holders playing in regional qualifiers for Ally Pally but I think it's probably fine. Winning a card is hardly an indicator that they've cut the cord and are suddenly some elevated being. They're still the same shifty old jobber from the same region as before. MH's bottom line is that all opponents always have the opportunity to stop em.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:09 pm

not a girl

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:20 pm

Rogg wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:09 pm
THE LIST
2013 PCFs: Andy Hamilton 9-6
2014 Worlds: Simon Whitlock 5-4
2014 UKO: Michael van Gerwen 10-8
2015 WM: Michael van Gerwen 16-13
2015 WGP: Robert Thornton 3-2
2015 PCFs: Mensur Suljovic 10-6
2017 UKO: Gerwyn Price 10-9
2019 WGP: Chris Dobey 3-2
2019 WSoDF: Danny Noppert 10-9

Only on four occasions has he not lost in the last leg/set.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

Pigpen

Post by Pigpen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:50 pm

oh dear :lol:

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:16 pm

https://twitter.com/BullyBoy180/status/ ... 51104?s=19

Edit: How do you get images to show within your post?
“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Jimmi wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:16 pm https://twitter.com/BullyBoy180/status/ ... 51104?s=19

Just post the whole link
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:20 pm

:pointing: ^ oh
“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Jimmi wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:16 pm https://twitter.com/BullyBoy180/status/ ... 51104?s=19

Copy the image's url and put it inside these:

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:57 pm

He didn't appreciate it.

not a girl

Gidra

Post by Gidra » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 am

Cunt.
Not that anyone cares

mad jock

Post by mad jock » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:34 pm

All these darts players who read whats written about them on social media, are idiots, best thing cross did was dump all his accounts.
Every time White gets close to a winning double for a Quarter final win, he is going to see all them little crosses next to his name :lol:
and fuck it up...Why do you think Caven has dissapeared...boy was he a fool, and his Mrs for that matter ..

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:06 pm

He's not having it folks!

Oche Balboa QC (not that QC) @OcheBalboa1
Stuart Pyke says this is Nopperts biggest match Regardless of what anyone says a World Championship final beats a non ranking tv event hands down Pyke is simply wrong #pdc #darts

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs
Danny even said himself last night but he felt last night was a bigger match than the Lakeside final for him

Of course he is living that moment, with a home crowd but it’s doesn’t trump a world final unless he won it

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs
I genuinely don’t think the modern player thinks like that mate. I genuinely believe talking to a lot of them that getting to a PDC final means more then getting to a Lakeside final to them

Of course he is living that moment, with a home crowd but it’s doesn’t trump a world final unless he won it
not a girl