The not Rogg's Twatter Watch

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
James Harrogate

Re: Rogg's Twatter Watch

Post by James Harrogate » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:08 pm

"World final" in name only. Should be obvious to even the dimmest bulbs out there, but guess not.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:11 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:06 pm He's not having it folks!

Oche Balboa QC (not that QC) @OcheBalboa1
Stuart Pyke says this is Nopperts biggest match Regardless of what anyone says a World Championship final beats a non ranking tv event hands down Pyke is simply wrong #pdc #darts

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs
Danny even said himself last night but he felt last night was a bigger match than the Lakeshite final for him

Of course he is living that moment, with a home crowd but it’s doesn’t trump a world final unless he won it

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs
I genuinely don’t think the modern player thinks like that mate. I genuinely believe talking to a lot of them that getting to a PDC final means more then getting to a Lakeshite final to them

Of course he is living that moment, with a home crowd but it’s doesn’t trump a world final unless he won it

I'm surprised you missed the twitter thing that me and dicie had with at deluded lad from Q School
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:16 pm

Sorry noppy. I mean oche. Do post it if you liked it.
not a girl

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:17 pm

I'm sorry Oche you're living in the past, a lakeside final means fuck all to anyone under the age of 30!

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:17 pm

The BDO is the second tier though.

It's like saying it's more of an achievement to get to the final of the EFL Trophy than to thrive in the Premier League.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:26 pm

StevieBoy wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:17 pm I'm sorry Oche you're living in the past, a Lakeshite final means fuck all to anyone under the age of 30!
Generous.

I am 32 and when I have worked alongside the previous generation, now aged between 35-45, none of them have given a shit about Lakeside/BDO. Those who have been interested in darts have all preferred the PDC.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:38 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:26 pm
StevieBoy wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:17 pm I'm sorry Oche you're living in the past, a Lakeshite final means fuck all to anyone under the age of 30!
Generous.

I am 32 and when I have worked alongside the previous generation, now aged between 35-45, none of them have given a shit about Lakeshite/BDO. Those who have been interested in darts have all preferred the PDC.
Pre split the BDO worlds were brilliant and did mean a lot to the darts watching public. Early post split that didn't change as the PDC field Taylor and Priestly excepted was pretty weak. They had to import jobbers and use round robin format just to fill the time. Not many had Sky also.

Was 200/6 with the mass defections the BDO slide really started, the rest is history
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:45 pm

M H wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:38 pm Pre split the BDO worlds were brilliant and did mean a lot to the darts watching public. Early post split that didn't change as the PDC field Taylor and Priestly excepted was pretty weak. They had to import jobbers and use round robin format just to fill the time. Not many had Sky also.

Was 200/6 with the mass defections the BDO slide really started, the rest is history
Post-2006, I haven't met anyone in the real world who prefers BDO darts. They either prefer PDC darts or have no interest in darts at all.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:46 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:45 pm
M H wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:38 pm Pre split the BDO worlds were brilliant and did mean a lot to the darts watching public. Early post split that didn't change as the PDC field Taylor and Priestly excepted was pretty weak. They had to import jobbers and use round robin format just to fill the time. Not many had Sky also.

Post-2006, I haven't met anyone in the real world who prefers BDO darts. They either prefer PDC darts or have no interest in darts at all.
Or have no idea the BDO even exist.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:57 pm

M H wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:46 pm Or have no idea the BDO even exist.
"The other one with Wolfie Adams and Count Dracula in it"

Slasher

Post by Slasher » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:13 pm

I’m in my fifties and grew up with bdo, playing pub league with dalliances with county darts. Was never in that league as the local big boys but played in NI open and got ranking points once lol. Bdo interest has fallen for me but that would be down to the effort involved to find results of the cat b or cat c tournaments. I like to follow the local lads efforts both at bdo and pdc but pdc make that much easier. BDO is for the ones who can’t really make it in the PDC ( in my humble opinion) and the “majors” there give an opportunity for a decent prize. The fact that the BDO ranking tournaments cost more to get to (overseas most of them) and offer less reward is another reason why players don’t bother. It’s dead, it’s over but just some can’t accept the facts. I’ll still try to follow it as best I can but the averages now are in the main a pretty poor cousin of equivalent Pdc ones. Sorry for the ramble lol but hopefully you get the main point.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Slasher wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:13 pm I’m in my fifties and grew up with bdo, playing pub league with dalliances with county darts. Was never in that league as the local big boys but played in NI open and got ranking points once lol. Bdo interest has fallen for me but that would be down to the effort involved to find results of the cat b or cat c tournaments. I like to follow the local lads efforts both at bdo and pdc but pdc make that much easier. BDO is for the ones who can’t really make it in the PDC ( in my humble opinion) and the “majors” there give an opportunity for a decent prize. The fact that the BDO ranking tournaments cost more to get to (overseas most of them) and offer less reward is another reason why players don’t bother. It’s dead, it’s over but just some can’t accept the facts. I’ll still try to follow it as best I can but the averages now are in the main a pretty poor cousin of equivalent Pdc ones. Sorry for the ramble lol but hopefully you get the main point.
No need to apologise mate, I get it.

Used to be the case that PDC detractors would say it costs shitloads to play the PDC tour but paid no attention to the travel involved in the BDO. Now there's no fees for the Pro Tour they seem to have gone quiet

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:09 pm

Slasher wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:13 pm I’m in my fifties and grew up with bdo, playing pub league with dalliances with county darts. Was never in that league as the local big boys but played in NI open and got ranking points once lol. Bdo interest has fallen for me but that would be down to the effort involved to find results of the cat b or cat c tournaments. I like to follow the local lads efforts both at bdo and pdc but pdc make that much easier. BDO is for the ones who can’t really make it in the PDC ( in my humble opinion) and the “majors” there give an opportunity for a decent prize. The fact that the BDO ranking tournaments cost more to get to (overseas most of them) and offer less reward is another reason why players don’t bother. It’s dead, it’s over but just some can’t accept the facts. I’ll still try to follow it as best I can but the averages now are in the main a pretty poor cousin of equivalent Pdc ones. Sorry for the ramble lol but hopefully you get the main point.
I agree

As stated before I've been to lakeside pre split and used to watch lakeside every year. Never had sky so carried on with lakeside and to be honest lost interest as the standard starting dropping. When I saw GSOD on ITV you certainly saw a difference as yes I purchased sky soon after

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Stuart Pyke says this is Nopperts biggest match Regardless of what anyone says a World Championship final beats a non ranking tv event hands down Pyke is simply wrong #pdc #darts

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs
Danny even said himself last night but he felt last night was a bigger match than the Lakeshite final for him

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs
I genuinely don’t think the modern player thinks like that mate. I genuinely believe talking to a lot of them that getting to a PDC final means more then getting to a Lakeshite final to them

Oche is right imo, it was a stupid comment from Pyke. The BDO has dropped year on year but the final Noppert was in was much bigger than a World Series final. Noppert was either having recency bias on a high and/or going on script basically telling his current girlfriend "of course you're prettier than her darling"
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:58 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs

Oche is right imo, it was a stupid comment from Pyke. The BDO has dropped year on year but the final Noppert was in was much bigger than a World Series final. Noppert was either having recency bias on a high and/or going on script basically telling his current girlfriend "of course you're prettier than her darling"
Us fans see the BDO for the amateur operation that it is, but even if/when they officially call themselves as such, the Lakeside/Indigo final still be a bigger game than the final of a glorified exbo, no matter where it takes place. One of the big PDC events (Matchplay, Grand Prix, Grand Slam, even the UK Open and the Premier League) you'd have to say is bigger than anything on the BDO side, but things like the World Series will always struggle to reach that level of importance

Slasher

Post by Slasher » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 pm

thegentle wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:58 pm

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs

Us fans see the BDO for the amateur operation that it is, but even if/when they officially call themselves as such, the Lakeshite/Indigo final still be a bigger game than the final of a glorified exbo, no matter where it takes place. One of the big PDC events (Matchplay, Grand Prix, Grand Slam, even the UK Open and the Premier League) you'd have to say is bigger than anything on the BDO side, but things like the World Series will always struggle to reach that level of importance

Have to disagree there. Apart from the worlds and maybe the masters most BDO events have prize money equivalent to development tour. As a professional, the money talks, not an old trophy that meant a lot more 30 years ago. Level of importance must be monetary nowadays for decent players.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:24 pm

Slasher wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 pm
thegentle wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:58 pm

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs

Phill Barrs @phillbarrs

Us fans see the BDO for the amateur operation that it is, but even if/when they officially call themselves as such, the Lakeshite/Indigo final still be a bigger game than the final of a glorified exbo, no matter where it takes place. One of the big PDC events (Matchplay, Grand Prix, Grand Slam, even the UK Open and the Premier League) you'd have to say is bigger than anything on the BDO side, but things like the World Series will always struggle to reach that level of importance

Have to disagree there. Apart from the worlds and maybe the masters most BDO events have prize money equivalent to development tour. As a professional, the money talks, not an old trophy that meant a lot more 30 years ago. Level of importance must be monetary nowadays for decent players.
Lakeside finalists in recent years earned more than MvG and Noppy tbf (no idea about this coming year though). A famous old trophy, if devalued over the years surely has to be more important than one of the least important PDC titles, whose most important purpose is to qualify for the Grand Slam really

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:42 am

World Final trumps a Non-Ranking Exbo

Regardless of BDO, PDC or whatever

Needless to say Noppert got beat easily in both

I'm not a fan of rewriting history to suit the narrative. I know that you (Mostly) all would disagree with me but i'm sticking by it.

James Harrogate

Post by James Harrogate » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:50 am

Cullen apparently sounding off on the Grand Sham qualification criteria fiasco. Who can blame him?

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:17 am

James Harrogate wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:50 am Cullen apparently sounding off on the Grand Sham qualification criteria fiasco. Who can blame him?
he always does