Darts articles in the Media thread

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: Darts articles in the Media thread

Post by Rogg » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Randall wrote:Respect I had for gando diminshed massively last night.
I loved when he won the 2014 PC Finals then followed it up with the Worlds. Amazing.

I think really he made a loveable loser. He was a bit of a Chizzy back then. As a winner he's nuts. Not that he should give a toss about any of this, but still.
not a girl

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:54 pm

Rogg wrote:
I loved when he won the 2014 PC Finals then followed it up with the Worlds. Amazing.

I think really he made a loveable loser. He was a bit of a Chizzy back then. As a winner he's nuts. Not that he should give a toss about any of this, but still.
It wouldn't surprise me if Gando makes the decision to quit next year or the year after. He has said before that he will give up as soon as he stop enjoying it. He has been very vocal about the current crop of players and the on stage antics.
A good run at ally pally and he will probably forget all about the GS but an early exit may get him thinking of retirement.
I hope he gets his head sorted out as he is a joy to watch in full flow

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:56 pm

Had no real issue Ando until last night probably. The moan about Gurney at the WGP was bad and this as well. Still don't really dislike him but lost a lot of respect. I always thought of him as a good loser, congratulates his opponent most of the time. But seems like he can act really grumpy
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 pm

The Thorn wrote:Had no real issue Ando until last night probably. The moan about Gurney at the WGP was bad and this as well. Still don't really dislike him but lost a lot of respect. I always thought of him as a good loser, congratulates his opponent most of the time. But seems like he can act really grumpy
Indeed, he always seemed gracious in defeat and happy to admit that he lost to a better player on the night.
He has been a bit strange all week, with the comments about the venue etc. The best way he could have shut price up, was to beat him. All a bit strange from him really. I have always liked his style of play and honesty about other players but he has turned into a bit of a "Taylor" of late

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:12 pm

The Thorn wrote:Had no real issue Ando until last night probably. The moan about Gurney at the WGP was bad and this as well. Still don't really dislike him but lost a lot of respect. I always thought of him as a good loser, congratulates his opponent most of the time. But seems like he can act really grumpy
Gurney afterwards said that he intentionally sped up his play in order to satisfy Anderson. Never heard anything like it. If Anderson is in grump mode then he'll moan whatever you do. It used to be called 'weakness' I think. Sod trying to help your opponent overcome their problem. Pile in.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:17 pm

Zeyes wrote:If Anderson hadn't moved to the PDC all those years ago, I reckon he'd now have a Twitter account with similar content to Mitchell's.
:lol:
not a girl

PT13

Post by PT13 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:21 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:
Indeed, he always seemed gracious in defeat and happy to admit that he lost to a better player on the night.
He has been a bit strange all week, with the comments about the venue etc. The best way he could have shut price up, was to beat him. All a bit strange from him really. I have always liked his style of play and honesty about other players but he has turned into a bit of a "Taylor" of late
Phil Taylor said at the 2017 World Matchplay that he liked Gerwyn Price and said that Price's aggression would help him in the long run even if it wasn't doing him any favours at the time. Adrian Lewis, of course, famously said at the 2016 World Matchplay that Price was a big mouth who has never won anything and never will win anything. Any luck, Adie?

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:23 pm

PT13 wrote:
tungsten tossers wrote:
Phil Taylor said at the 2017 World Matchplay that he liked Gerwyn Price and said that Price's aggression would help him in the long run even if it wasn't doing him any favours at the time. Adrian Lewis, of course, famously said at the 2016 World Matchplay that Price was a big mouth who hasn't never won anything and never will win anything. Any luck, Adie?
But Taylor blamed Gurney for not pouring him a fucking glass of water on stage lol

Good point about Fatpot, Price is world number 6 now and a major champion. Lewis been mediocre all year and he's a major fat cunt.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:30 pm

The Thorn wrote:
PT13 wrote:
tungsten tossers wrote:
Phil Taylor said at the 2017 World Matchplay that he liked Gerwyn Price and said that Price's aggression would help him in the long run even if it wasn't doing him any favours at the time. Adrian Lewis, of course, famously said at the 2016 World Matchplay that Price was a big mouth who hasn't never won anything and never will win anything. Any luck, Adie?
But Taylor blamed Gurney for not pouring him a fucking glass of water on stage lol

Good point about Fatpot, Price is world number 6 now and a major champion. Lewis been mediocre all year and he's a major fat cunt.
Yeah, true about Taylor. Taylor's behaviour at the 2017 Grand Slam was by far the most bitter that I've ever seen him in his career, and it was ugly. He said so himself at the 2018 World Championship that he was really bitter.

As for Lewis, his quotes about Price after their anti-climatic dud of a grudge match at the 2016 World Matchplay look ridiculous now. Lewis also said at that time that Price's win over him at the 2015 World Matchplay was a fluke. I rewatched that match recently and it was no fluke. Lewis played well, and Price played one of his best matches on TV to this day. For periods of the match, Price was even averaging at 111-113, got finishing line fever towards the end but it was a great 13-10 win after missing darts to win 13-7.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Lewis also said Price's pro tours are worthless since the big guns aren't there. The cunt would give half an arm for a pro tour win these days

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:19 pm

PT13 wrote:Adrian Lewis, of course, famously said at the 2016 World Matchplay that Price was a big mouth who has never won anything and never will win anything. Any luck, Adie?
Brilliant. I'd forgotten about that. 'You can't practise not crapping yourself.' Hmm.

Are we getting close to Adie's 'ten, at least' world titles yet?
not a girl

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:24 am

It seems odd that the likes of gando, Phil, fatpot and wade, and even Part, have all had their issues with what they call "respect" over the past couple of years...
Wade and fatpot over the PL, as if it is their god given right to be invited, and Phil and Gary over other players celebrations. I have heard Phil say many times that the young players don't respect the likes of him and barney and I remember Gary having a dig at Phil when talking about Paul Lim at the worlds.
Do these players think that the lower merit players have to fall at their feet and speed up, slow down, be quiet and not celebrate just to appease them?
If players didn't celebrate a high checkout or a break of throw the game would be tedious to watch
These players need to stop acting like spoilt little pricks and get on with it...

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:25 am

tungsten tossers wrote:Do these players think that the lower merit players have to fall at their feet and speed up, slow down, be quiet and not celebrate just to appease them?
I suspect with Taylor it used to be more of a mind games thing where he tried to unsettle opponents with that kind of talk (knowing that most of the audience would side with him), before it just morphed into aging-player frustration towards the end of his career.

Anderson, on the other hand, clearly does think he's entitled to decide his opponents' play style for them. The remarkable part is how easily he loses the plot if it doesn't work. Apropos the Gurney comment Rogg mentioned above - I suspect more players will now, if not outright emulate Price, then at least show a lot less, er, respect for Anderson's strange whims.

(I half-wonder if part of Anderson's issue with the European Tour is that it's all stage games where he'd have to put up with this stuff every week for relatively little money, while even the likes of Price are much more subdued in the leisure centre PC events that Anderson does still attend.)

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:42 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:
Rogg wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if Gando makes the decision to quit next year or the year after. He has said before that he will give up as soon as he stop enjoying it. He has been very vocal about the current crop of players and the on stage antics.
A good run at ally pally and he will probably forget all about the GS but an early exit may get him thinking of retirement.

Agree, epecially on the joy to watch when in full flow. And that is the reason I'm always torn about players like him, barney, and Fatpot. Granted the crying Scotsman has provided more moments of joy than the other two imo.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:48 pm

cannibal wrote:
tungsten tossers wrote:
Rogg wrote:

Agree, epecially on the joy to watch when in full flow. And that is the reason I'm always torn about players like him, barney, and Fatpot. Granted the crying Scotsman has provided more moments of joy than the other two imo.
So true, regardless of all the head shaking and diabetes excuses, RvB is a joy to watch when he gets it right.
His throw can seem effortless and I suppose that is what is so frustrating for us to watch.
Same for fatpot, amazing when he gets it right but his can't be arsed attitude when things go wrong is so frustrating for his fans to watch.
There are hundreds of players that would kill for the natural talent that these two have

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Not much of an article but ah the memories. That d12...

PDC World Darts Championship Throwback: When Michael Van Gerwen Made His Alexandra Palace Debut Against Phil Taylor
https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/p ... hil-taylor

not a girl

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Rogg wrote:Not much of an article but ah the memories. That d12...

PDC World Darts Championship Throwback: When Michael Van Gerwen Made His Alexandra Palace Debut Against Phil Taylor
https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/p ... hil-taylor

Wonder how things would have panned out had he landed that D12. Would he still have had those few years in the wilderness? How would it have affected his rivalry with Taylor?

Chizzyfan

Post by Chizzyfan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Rogg wrote:
I loved when he won the 2014 PC Finals then followed it up with the Worlds. He was a bit of a Chizzy back then.
So you are saying my Chizzy will win big soon enough. Fabulous. You have been promoted back to a gold-saddle goatfish.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:53 pm

The Thorn wrote:Lewis also said Price's pro tours are worthless since the big guns aren't there. The cunt would give half an arm for a pro tour win these days
"You can't practice crapping yourself"
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:05 pm

Vinny wants more ranking TV tournaments: https://www.live-darts.com/category/dar ... s-20181121
"To play in your home country and have a week-long tournament would be great but the problem is the week-long tournaments are all stuck to the same venue all the time," Van der Voort told Live Darts.

"In the PDC we have too many tournaments that are not ranked and not that important so maybe a new tournament would be great, a week tournament that would be ranked in Holland. One question you want to ask Barry [Hearn] is: Do you think it's sport or entertainment? Is he looking at being like wrestling or do you want to be a real sport? Because all the new tournaments he makes up are non-ranked so he can put in everyone who he wants. It's not about who's the best player in the world who plays there and I think that's something to look after, but I'm not the boss."
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!