Darts articles in the Media thread

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
PT13

Re: Darts articles in the Media thread

Post by PT13 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:09 pm

cannibal wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:42 am Ok not a big loss in the position of commanding lead, but probably the strangest Taylor loss and one of my fave. The UK open final 2012. At 3-3 some spectator tried to get on stage. Created a ruccas right behind the players. Thornton went on to win 8 of the last 10 legs to smash Taylor 11 -5. Philth messed his pants and couldn't hit a double.
Yes. What's interesting about that is that Taylor saw that spectator in his eyeline going for him on the stage, whereas Thornton was looking at the dartboard and heard the noise behind him. It shook Taylor out of all rhythm, while Thornton got better.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:13 pm

Thornton would have beaten that prick up hadn't security reacted so quickly.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

JH01

Post by JH01 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:26 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:13 pm Thornton would have beaten that prick up hadn't security reacted so quickly.
Well he's had practice on his missus.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:28 pm

M H wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:14 pm Note he didn't mention the man with an invisible dog!
Mitchell would kill an owl for the love and attention that Glenda has been getting in the last 24 hours.

He'll still be sitting on his tractor in 2025, hoping a new era comes to him.

Regrets.
not a girl

Barney Army

Post by Barney Army » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:58 pm

MICHAEL SMITH MAKES INTERESTING CLAIM ABOUT RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD'S RETIREMENT

It seems that not everyone is convinced Raymond van Barneveld is set to retire from professional darts.

The five-time world champion vowed to quit competitive action at the end of the 2019 season. For a brief moment, it seemed like it would be even sooner. Barney made a shock retirement announcement after being dumped out of the Premier League Darts, only to make a dramatic U-turn. Premier League rival Michael Smith believes the retirement itself could be something van Barneveld changes his mind on.
“I don’t think he’ll retire. He’s said it but I don’’t think it’ll happen,” the new Premier League Darts basement player told the Metro.
“He’s being a businessman, he’s been clever in what he’s done.
“I think he’ll be playing next season. He was clever because where he was in the rankings he was never going to get in the Premier League; so he’s got his money now.
“He’ll get excited for it again, start enjoying his darts and decide not to retire.”

Smith offered stark words of warning to the darting legend, who has slid down the PDC rankings in recent times. A World Championship farewell is in doubt, despite Barney powering to the Players Championship 8 final.
Jelle Klaasen and Jermaine Wattimena think van Barneveld will represent the Netherlands at the PDC World Cup of Darts but Smith, who looks set to play alongside Rob Cross for England, doesn’t agree.
“The UK Open and then Rotterdam in the Premier League could be his last TV events because he’s not qualified for anything. He needs to pull his finger out,” the Englishman asserted.
“They can’t put him in the World Cup. PDC Europe put a picture out of Max Hopp and Martin Schindler for Germany and then Van Gerwen and Barney for Holland, but the PDC made them remove it.”

Does anybody agree with Michael Smith on this one?

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:01 pm

They're all here!

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:41 pm

MABBSY
More than two decades on from his 1998 run, Baxter appeared at the Winter Gardens and spoke to Dutch television channel RTL 7.

Baxter, who hasn’t played competitively for a year, has promised to return soon.

“I’m just taking a year off at the moment,” said the 58-year-old.

“Just trying to recollect and get things together again. I have a little bit of an injury, so I’m working on that.

“Hopefully I’m going to get back for next year.”
https://dartsnews.com/ronnie-baxter-pro ... matchplay/
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Still remember when he had barney bang to rights at ally pally and blew it.

Barney Army

Post by Barney Army » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:03 pm

EXCLUSIVE: VAN GERWEN NOT PLANNING TO PLAY ANY REMAINING PLAYERS CHAMPIONSHIP EVENTS THIS YEAR

Michael van Gerwen has told Darts News that he is unlikely to play in any remaining Players Championship events this year.

Van Gerwen played what look to be his last floor events of 2019 in Barnsley in May. Mighty Mike has only participated in six out of twenty Players Championship events so far this season. He entered four in February and two in May. Even with ten events remaining, it seems that the Dutchman’s Players Championship race is run.

The world number one is not traveling to Hildesheim this weekend to take part in Players Championship 21 and 22. ”My daughter Zoë is celebrating her birthday”, the three-time world champion explained. Van Gerwen will also skip the two Pro Tour events in Dublin prior to the World Grand Prix. The 30-year-old has decided that he would prefer to attend the more lucrative exhibition events.

When asked if he would appear on the floor again this year, the answer was a firm “no”. However, he left the door a little cracked for playing two Players Championship tournaments in September. “Maybe a weekend in September, but I’m not sure yet,” Van Gerwen added.

Fellow darter Vincent van der Voort believes that his countryman does not play enough floor tournaments. According to the former UK Open finalist, Van Gerwen needs the Pro Tour tournaments to keep his form at a high level. Van Gerwen didn’t echo Van der Voort’s opinion.

”Talk is cheap afterwards. Last year I didn’t play more than I do now, and my results were better than now. Of course it’s easy to say, but you should always look for improvements.

”They [the Pro Tour events] are still very good tournaments for gaining rhythm. Maybe I have played too little here and there. But I am not going to say that I am performing less because I might play one or two fewer tournaments”, Van Gerwen concluded.

https://dartsnews.com/exclusive-van-ger ... this-year/

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:19 pm

If he plays none that is pretty batshit. Not even the ones before the GP would be begging for trouble.
Boring Brendas number one and (almost) only fan.

Smithys number one and (definitely not) only hater.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:23 pm

I'm all for picking and choosing which events to play but this is pretty steep.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:43 pm

He has looked pretty spent the last few outings.
Played anything and everything for years now.
Some time away might freshen him up.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 pm

Randall wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:43 pm He has looked pretty spent the last few outings.
This could work both ways..
It might freshen him up, or could hinder him due to lack of match practice.
I guess, if he is not psyched up for the floor events, then he wouldn't give it his full concentration, and lets face it, he doesn't look that motivated at the moment..
It is disappointing that he would rather play exbo's though... maybe a sign of what is to come for the next couple of years

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 pm
Randall wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:43 pm He has looked pretty spent the last few outings.
This could work both ways..
It might freshen him up, or could hinder him due to lack of match practice.
I guess, if he is not psyched up for the floor events, then he wouldn't give it his full concentration, and lets face it, he doesn't look that motivated at the moment..
It is disappointing that he would rather play exbo's though... maybe a sign of what is to come for the next couple of years
With the money he has made I'm surprised he hasnt taken this view before to be honest.
I dont see it doing his game any harm.
Last year of his career taylor hardly showed up for anything yet won the match play and made final at ally pally.

dartsweekly

Post by dartsweekly » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:11 am

Episode 113 of The Weekly Dartscast podcast and we're joined by special guests Glen Durrant, Devon Petersen and Adrian Gray. Listen here

dartsweekly

Post by dartsweekly » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:45 am

A busy podcast coming out tomorrow with special guests Des Jacklin, Brendan Dolan and Chris Mason!

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Hopefully they did their research on Des and put some hard questions to him. I doubt it tho, probably more rim licking.
Des is a con man talks in all things vaguely, never gets specific and always has an excuse.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

dartsweekly

Post by dartsweekly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:18 am

Episode 114 of the Weekly Dartscast podcast and we're joined by the BDO chairman Des Jacklin, Sunday's PC22 winner Brendan Dolan and Chris Mason!

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:49 am

Decided to listen to the conversation with Des. A lot of interesting talking points.

He's saying men's prize money stays the same, the women's money gets a big increase though. From first round to runner up, all prize monies double. and the winner gets 20k instead of 12k. He was asked about the sponsors, couldn't give any names though.

Asked about the format for the women increasing with the prize money. He says it's of course has to be in line with the scheduling etc. but the format is likely to increase.

On the referee team leaving, he says they had 75-80 applicants to replace them. Not a good word about the guys who left, in fact he says they were wrong to take it to social media?

Says he never said the BDO can rival the PDC, and they know their place. But BDO needs to work far more professionally.

Doesn't comment on the Grand Slam participant, there'll be a meeting soon to decide.

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:52 am

Of course, Des has never taken anything to social media...

Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016