Darts articles in the Media thread

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
tungsten tossers

Re: Darts articles in the Media thread

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:53 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:Second round matches on the same night as the First round? I assume that means one unlucky player will have to play twice that first night.
that's how I read it
That's quite a lot to ask for now it is in sets
I guess that's so that the crowd get to see a seed each session
The winner of the first game could potentially play ten sets in one night though

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:53 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:
The Thorn wrote:96 players for fucks sake. Hope the early rounds will be on the floor.
Nope. Look at the schedule at the bottom of that article.
Sorry but that's a catch. And I wasn't even trying.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Ooooh. Do a new thread!
not a girl

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:54 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:
The Ginge Reaper wrote:Second round matches on the same night as the First round? I assume that means one unlucky player will have to play twice that first night.
that's how I read it
That's quite a lot to ask for now it is in sets
I guess that's so that the crowd get to see a seed each session
The winner of the first game could potentially play ten sets in one night though
It was the same with the prelims so it's not much worse. Even though I think they should alter the schedule so no one has to play twice a day

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:57 pm

The Thorn wrote:96 players for fucks sake. Hope the early rounds will be on the floor.

No doubt it's huge money and a great boost especially for the international qualifiers. But I'd rather see other events expanded. The Worlds is already too big compared to the rest and the disparity in prize money will distort the rankings even further.

Anyway the inclusion of two female players is great, even though I woulda preferred if they qualified in a mens field. But 2 out of 96 players is not too much and should be great TV and advertisement for the game.
15k for second round losers Wow.. For some players that could be the difference whether they get their tour card or not
100k for semi finalists and 50k for the qtrs.. crazy money

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:59 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:

No doubt it's huge money and a great boost especially for the international qualifiers. But I'd rather see other events expanded. The Worlds is already too big compared to the rest and the disparity in prize money will distort the rankings even further.

Anyway the inclusion of two female players is great, even though I woulda preferred if they qualified in a mens field. But 2 out of 96 players is not too much and should be great TV and advertisement for the game.
15k for second round losers Wow.. For some players that could be the difference whether they get their tour card or not
Great money but should be put into other events like the Matchplay GS etc.

You just know Pipe or Beaton will get on a lucky run and stay in the top 32 for ever.

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:59 pm

"They have reduced the money for the first round, Hearn is a cunt"
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:00 pm

The Thorn wrote:
tungsten tossers wrote:

You just know Pipe or Beaton will get on a lucky run and stay in the top 32 for ever.
No way, I am going to find put where Shite lives and run him over in November

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:04 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:
The Thorn wrote:
tungsten tossers wrote:

No way, I am going to find put where Shite lives and run him over in November
I'm sure we can pass the hat round the forum to refund you the cost.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:24 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:At last it has been announced!

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2018/06/04/reco ... ampionship
Link is dead?

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Randall wrote:

Link is dead?
Site has gone down

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:28 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:
Randall wrote:

Link is dead?
Site has gone down
Seems ok now

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:32 pm

http://www.live-darts.com/category/dart ... 0605-0001/
"The sadness for me has always been that the Lakeside is being called the World Professional Darts Championship," said Hearn.

"I think that's disrespectful to punters.

"That's the only reason I tried to buy them really, I just wanted to make sure I owned that title!

"I was hearing some bad stories about last week [World Darts Trophy] that there were only 50 people in the crowd.

"I heard it was eight thousand pounds to the winner. I just don't know what you do.

"I'm just so glad I didn't give them two million quid because it would have been a terrible waste of money."
Shots fired.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 pm

The Thorn wrote:http://www.live-darts.com/category/dart ... 0605-0001/
"The sadness for me has always been that the Lakeshite is being called the World Professional Darts Championship," said Hearn.

"That's the only reason I tried to buy them really, I just wanted to make sure I owned that title!

"I was hearing some bad stories about last week [World Darts Trophy] that there were only 50 people in the crowd.

"I heard it was eight thousand pounds to the winner. I just don't know what you do.

"I'm just so glad I didn't give them two million quid because it would have been a terrible waste of money."
Shots fired.
Harsh but extremely fair and honest :P

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:55 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:
The Thorn wrote:http://www.live-darts.com/category/dart ... 0605-0001/
"The sadness for me has always been that the Lakeshite is being called the World Professional Darts Championship," said Hearn.

Shots fired.
Harsh but extremely fair and honest :P
I wouldn't even say it's harsh.

It's the truth.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 pm

On pointless asked to name the darts player nicknamed the power, guess how many said Phil Taylor?

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:51 pm

Some other comments on the Worlds expansion from Uncle Baz. Doesn't seem overly keen on the women. Maybe Sky pushed him to involve the ladies?

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:39 pm

There's supposedly a behind the scenes battle going on between the PDC, BDO and EDO to become the recognized English/British governing body for darts...years ago the BDO made a big fuss about restructuring itself to fulfill the requirements for that, but then they somehow never followed through with the official application process, so as far as the government is concerned darts is essentially an unrecognized sport in the UK at this time. (As opposed to some other countries such as the Netherlands and Germany.) Some people think that the PDC is taking aim at supporting women's darts to at least some degree again to improve their chances in that process.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:47 pm

Please god let that happen.
Will be the ball in the coffin for a few sad virgins elsewhere.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:24 pm

I misspoke a bit, darts is recognized as a sport itself, but it's considered ungoverned.

To catch up what I was talking about there, all posts from TSOD, April last year (had to unlink a few URLs to get this posted here):
Zapp Brannigan wrote:https://www.sportengland.org/our-work/n ... recognise/

Darts - No recognised governing body in England

Has this always been the case, thought its been claimed that the BDO and WDF are the recognized governing body of darts?

Sportotal make that claim here http://www.sportotal.co.uk/news/index (Founded in 1973, THE BRITISH DARTS ORGANISATION (BDO) is the only recognised governing body for darts in Britain and through its ranking points is established globally as the world’s leading darts organisation)
Zeyes wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
ifm wrote:Scraping some barrels here lol
Im not scraping any barrels, Im wondering when it changed.

The original article in 2005 states that the BDO is the governing body for darts in England.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060910133 ... _darts.htm

Since 2016 at least the Sport England site says they don't recognize any organization as the governing body.
BDO not listed in July 2013: http://web.archive.org/web/201307051425 ... recognise/

BDO not listed in April 2011: web.archive.org/web/20110408140933/http://www.sportengland.org/about_us/ho ... _ngbs.aspx

BDO not listed in July 2009: web.archive.org/web/20090722015723/http://www.sportengland.org/about_us/re ... ports.aspx

BDO not listed in March 2008: web.archive.org/web/20080323011543/http://www.sportengland.org/index/about ... vities.htm

BDO not listed in December 2005: web.archive.org/web/20051226045316/http://www.sportengland.org/index/about ... vities.htm

Darts not listed in March 2005: web.archive.org/web/20050326220159/http://www.sportengland.org/index/about ... vities.htm

Recognition process before 2010:
There are two parts to the recognition process:

Recognition of a sporting activity

This must be agreed by each of the four home country sports councils and UK Sport.

Recognition of the governing body for the sport

There are two stages to this part of the process.

Recognition of a governing body for the sport at a UK or GB level, which will be considered by all the sports councils
Recognition of a governing body for the sport within England, Northern Ireland/Ulster, Scotland or Wales, which will be considered by the relevant sports council for that country.
A governing body cannot be recognised unless the activity it represents is already recognised.

However, it is possible for an activity to be recognised without a recognised governing body.
Recognition process since 2010:
Under a new process introduced in 2010, applications for recognition of a sport and a national governing body for that sport are dealt with together. (...)

The aim of the recognition process is to identify a single lead NGB structure which governs a sport at UK, GB or home country level.Our recognition criteria focus on establishing if a NGB has achieved a position of pre-eminence within its sport and if it has a reasonable level of organisation and governance.
Conclusion: I don't believe the BDO has ever been officially recognized as the governing body for darts by Sport England, as they apparently never completed the second step of the process at the time.
A few months afterwards the usual suspects from the BDO/EDO camp were intimating that the whole recognition thing is back on the agenda for all the orgs.