Darts articles in the Media thread

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Randall
Site Admin

Re: Darts articles in the Media thread

Post by Randall » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:00 pm

What is a strava king?

Mervyns dog?

dartsweekly

Post by dartsweekly » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:58 am

NEW PODCAST!

Episode 1️⃣6️⃣7️⃣

🗣️ Special guests
Devon Petersen
Ryan Meikle
Joe Davis

🇿🇦 Is Big Dev now a live contender for the majors?
🐯 Reaction to Barney's retirement u-turn
🤔 Your listener questions answered

Listen 👇

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:58 pm

Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Double start being "a leveller" is right up there with Merv's "A-game" in terms of darting myths.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

mad jock

Post by mad jock » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:36 am

Peterson is prone to bouts of double trouble, that and a little expectation now on his shoulders, double in and out might be problem for him, but he is in some form..

Price would be my pick...hoping to put the kiss of death on him :lol:

Potter's Lake

Post by Potter's Lake » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:49 am

No mention of the great Duzza. Jealousy doesn't become you Mark.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:17 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:57 pm
Double start being "a leveller" is right up there with Merv's "A-game" in terms of darting myths.
How does it not level it out?
The power scores main tool is blunted certainly

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:38 pm

Im kinda with stupidswede on this one. I have yet to hear or read a cogent argument why DIDO is a leveler. If I recall correctly top players are both top scorers and better. Doublers at least in the long run. A 301 game I would say a better possibility of DIDO being a leveler. 501 DIDO being a longer game it is less of a leveler than 301. OTOH given the set play feature I think that creates a leveler and short format in early rounds is more a leveler than the DIDO alone. OTOH he who is best and hitting his targets win.

Sincerely yours in darts

A Fickle Fat American Cunt.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:00 pm

It plays into the hands of the better doubles against the power scorer
That does assume the power scorer isn't as good at double granted.
I'd say it's a levelled of some sort.
But what do I know

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:47 pm

It is a very interesting question. If I get some free time will dig into the stats and try to come up with something. Meanwhile the great. Viz who likes to mess with numbers as well as the other self proclaimed stats gurus should be looking into this.ie dartweekly redbit and other useles procrastinators. Which they wont because it actually is a complex issue that requires complex statistical approach.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:17 pm

If durrant gets in 50% of the time against say mvg 33% of the time
Mvgs 1st 9 darts average which might well be a deciding factor in a straight in game is negated?

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:57 pm

Randall wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:17 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:57 pm
How does it not level it out?
The power scores main tool is blunted certainly
This is an event that I’m surprised Wade has only won twice. It is also one of the big events I think Duzza has a great chance of winning.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:59 pm

I know Devon is playing well, but I think there has been an over the top reaction to him winning last weekend.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:04 pm

Randall wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:00 pm It plays into the hands of the better doubles against the power scorer
That does assume the power scorer isn't as good at double granted.
I'd say it's a levelled of some sort.
But what do I know
I think you make a good point. The likes of Lewis and Anderson who are heavy scorers have never won this event. Wade who isn’t a prolific scorer but when on form as good as Just about anyone on his doubles has won this twice.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:06 pm

Randall wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:17 pm If durrant gets in 50% of the time against say mvg 33% of the time
Mvgs 1st 9 darts average which might well be a deciding factor in a straight in game is negated?
I’m not sure whether Duzza or MVG could potentially meet before a final, but I bet MVG will be hoping he can avoid Duzza above anyone else, more so in this event.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:11 pm

Randall wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:17 pm If durrant gets in 50% of the time against say mvg 33% of the time
Sure, that's true, but that's one example. If Durrant plays a weaker player whose scoring is better than his finishing generally, say a Clayton, then the format is only making the difference between their games bigger.

A statistical analysis of this would be pretty interesting I reckon, but probably there are too many factors in play here. Like the fact that this is the only double start event and one of the only 2 set play events. Does that play into the hands of the favourites or not? You could argue both ways. The fact that a DIDO 501 leg is slightly longer than a normal 501 leg generally helps the better players but not too much I reckon. I agree with cannibal, what might make the most difference is the first round format, best of 3 sets is brutal.

MVG and Taylor won 7 out of the last 10 WGP's, so I'd say the format may not have made a huge difference, but we of course don't know that. There is a chance for people whose finishing is above average to get a surprise win here, like Gurney or Thornton did. That's not unheard of in other majors though, just like Aspinall winning the UK Open or Dimitri the Matchplay.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:26 pm

You lot are overrating Duzza again.

He's only a slight favourite against Chizzy.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:09 am

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:06 pm
I’m not sure whether Duzza or MVG could potentially meet before a final, but I bet MVG will be hoping he can avoid Duzza above anyone else, more so in this event.

They were just examples of a high scorer v good checkouts really.
Not relating to next week
In that context I wouldn't have used mvg as the high scorer

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:11 am

The Thorn wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:11 pm
Sure, that's true, but that's one example. If Durrant plays a weaker player whose scoring is better than his finishing generally, say a Clayton, then the format is only making the difference between their games bigger.

A statistical analysis of this would be pretty interesting I reckon, but probably there are too many factors in play here. Like the fact that this is the only double start event and one of the only 2 set play events. Does that play into the hands of the favourites or not? You could argue both ways. The fact that a DIDO 501 leg is slightly longer than a normal 501 leg generally helps the better players but not too much I reckon. I agree with cannibal, what might make the most difference is the first round format, best of 3 sets is brutal.

MVG and Taylor won 7 out of the last 10 WGP's, so I'd say the format may not have made a huge difference, but we of course don't know that. There is a chance for people whose finishing is above average to get a surprise win here, like Gurney or Thornton did. That's not unheard of in other majors though, just like Aspinall winning the UK Open or Dimitri the Matchplay.
The best player in the field will still win more often than not whatever the format.
Add the best of 3 1st round format to the double start and they are more vulnerable here than anywhere else

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:20 am

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:26 pm You lot are overrating Duzza again.

He's only a slight favourite against Chizzy.
Is that the betting odds or your opinion? Duzza would be expected to beat Chizzy.