Current OoM

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
The Thorn

Re: Current OoM

Post by The Thorn » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:43 pm

thegentle wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:29 am
Sensur Muljovic wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 am I still feel they should stop the 2 year oom. It keeps off form players high on the rankings for too long
I think they should keep the 2 year system, but weight the last 12 months double so to speak. That way players aren't hanging on as much thanks to one good showing, but it's not too much in favour of players who hit a purple patch
I agree, that would be probably the best way to rank the players. Though I'm not sure how that would effect the tour card system, which is based on the two year rankings
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:40 pm

The Thorn wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:43 pm
thegentle wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:29 am
Sensur Muljovic wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 am I still feel they should stop the 2 year oom. It keeps off form players high on the rankings for too long
I think they should keep the 2 year system, but weight the last 12 months double so to speak. That way players aren't hanging on as much thanks to one good showing, but it's not too much in favour of players who hit a purple patch
I agree, that would be probably the best way to rank the players. Though I'm not sure how that would effect the tour card system, which is based on the two year rankings
Easy to run a two year Tour Card list and the rest on a one year basis. Players Championship is one year
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:38 pm

Add 100k for a semi-final win. Aspinall would indeed qualify for the Masters, lol.

Burton DeWitt‏ @bsd987
Updated Order of Merit entering the semi-final of the World Championships.

not a girl

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:12 am

The Order of Merit has been distorted in recent years by the growing and obscene difference between the World Championship prize money and the prize money of the other PDC TV majors. And now I hear Barry Hearn talking of a £1,000,000 World Championship winner in the near future. Surely this can't continue, where the rankings are tied to prize money won? The World Championship is the biggest event, but go back 6 years and you had World Championship winner's prize money at £200,000 and World Matchplay winner's prize money at £100,000. That is in proportion, and with the rankings. What's it now, something like £500,000 and £110,000, with a bigger gap to come with this talk of £1,000,000?

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:08 am

Aspinall gets almost as much money for beating Price over a best of 5 set game (plus four others which were at least fairly evenly matched, if not weighted in his favour) and he gets nearly as much as Price did for beating Whitlock, Mensur and Ando (fuck off Beppe) over a long format in Wolves, or Ando himself got for beating Bunting, Barney, Cullen, de Zwaan and Suljovic in Blackpool, all of whom pretty much brought their A-games. Crazy, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to Aspinall whatsoever

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:10 am

I heard Nicho was having a pop at the system on Talksport, easy to do when you've just lost out, but it's as if the previous two years mean nothing. I almost hope for his sake that Cadby can't come back to the UK

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:20 am

Burton did tweet the other day that Dancing Devon has 73% of his earnings from two ally pally tournaments.
There is definitely issues with the current system but I think Bazza from what he has said, wants to reward the players for the worlds, so I am not sure it will change soon.
Even if there is an increase in the prize money for the other majors, it will still be disjointed..

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 am

tungsten tossers wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:20 am Burton did tweet the other day that Dancing Devon has 73% of his earnings from two ally pally tournaments.
There is definitely issues with the current system but I think Bazza from what he has said, wants to reward the players for the worlds, so I am not sure it will change soon.
Even if there is an increase in the prize money for the other majors, it will still be disjointed..
And remember he was invited last year, which ended up making all the difference. Admittedly South Africa couldn't arrange their own qualification tournament, but still. Really like him though, I'm hoping he's turned a corner and he'll start turning up on the floor

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:37 am

There is an interest in darts in Africa. Seems mainly in east Africa, of course south as well. Plunk around on the web, you will find some info and news articles. What I found interesting about the east Africa situation is that it doesn't seem fueled by Brit expats it is truly grassroots.
Ok the standard is shit but the interest seems to be growing there. At a minium it is a market the PDC should be keeping tabs on for the long run.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 am

cannibal wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:37 am There is an interest in darts in Africa. Seems mainly in east Africa, of course south as well. Plunk around on the web, you will find some info and news articles. What I found interesting about the east Africa situation is that it doesn't seem fueled by Brit expats it is truly grassroots.
Ok the standard is shit but the interest seems to be growing there. At a minium it is a market the PDC should be keeping tabs on for the long run.
Before they started in earnest with Asia, it seems the PDC were really interested in South Africa, they had a precursor to the World Series and even a Grand Slam place on the line for them. I wonder what went wrong for them to neglect them a bit, is it simply that they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery? Shame, because it's long been a solid country for darts, would be nice to see two South Africans there next year if Petersen manages to get in by right

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:08 am

Rogg wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:38 pm Add 100k for a semi-final win. Aspinall would indeed qualify for the Masters, lol.

Burton DeWitt‏ @bsd987

Amidst all this talk of who's going to be in the Dutch team at the World Cup, Smith can all but seal his place in the England team for the first time with a win against Aspinall

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:02 am

thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:10 am I heard Nicho was having a pop at the system on Talksport, easy to do when you've just lost out, but it's as if the previous two years mean nothing. I almost hope for his sake that Cadby can't come back to the UK
I've been having a pop at the ranking system based on prize money for a few years now. It worked well back in 2007-2013, even 2014 and 2015, but since then it's gotten increasingly out of control and that trend seems set to continue into the future with this talk of £1,000,000 for the World Championship winner in the near future.

If they are not going to get the prize money of the other majors up in the same way as the World Championship, then they need to at least introduce a points system for World Championship results to get it in proportion. It should be an absolute maximum of 3 times as big as the World Matchplay for winning the tournament as reflected in the rankings, and ideally only twice as much.

So far, the signs have not been good for sorting it out. From what I've seen, Barry Hearn says that there isn't going to be a change in the ranking system, and that the prize money of other TV events will rise too, which is strictly true as that is what has happened, but it still doesn't change the fact that the problem is continuing and ongoing with World Championship prize money increasing far more and distorting the ranking system ever further. Sort it out, guys, before it gets really out of hand.
thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 am
cannibal wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:37 am There is an interest in darts in Africa. Seems mainly in east Africa, of course south as well. Plunk around on the web, you will find some info and news articles. What I found interesting about the east Africa situation is that it doesn't seem fueled by Brit expats it is truly grassroots.
Before they started in earnest with Asia, it seems the PDC were really interested in South Africa, they had a precursor to the World Series and even a Grand Slam place on the line for them. I wonder what went wrong for them to neglect them a bit, is it simply that they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery? Shame, because it's long been a solid country for darts, would be nice to see two South Africans there next year if Petersen manages to get in by right
There was the altitude issue. I believe they played the South African Masters in Johannesburg, at altitude. I remember Taylor's darts entering the board at odd angles, and he had to adjust to it. There are South African cities at sea level, like Durban and Cape Town, and perhaps they would have been better.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:40 am

thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:10 am I heard Nicho was having a pop at the system on Talksport, easy to do when you've just lost out, but it's as if the previous two years mean nothing.
I like Nicholson, but I can't muster much sympathy considering he lost first-round at Ally Pally to Kevin freakin' Burness (136th on the Pro Tour this year!), and didn't even qualify the other year during his two-year card. Only two other non-UK Open TV appearances (PCF last year, Euros this year), and he got bundled straight out in those, too - granted, bad luck to have drawn MvG both times, but that was kinda made up with the Burness draw. Plus a UK Open loss to Paul Hogan of all people.

Also, only tied for 81st place in Players Championships events this year; if he'd played a little more like a top 64 player in those he wouldn't be in this situation now. Overall, two mediocre seasons that just happened to not quite be enough. Whatever the faults of the Worlds payouts, there are plenty of other opportunities to pick up big chunks of money during two years (big relative to what's needed for top 64 status at least), and he just didn't do enough of that.

If the DDB numbers are accurate, he's finished at 63rd in a one-year list both for 2017 and 2018. That's kinda harsh to be missing out on the top 64 in the aggregate, but that's been possible ever since the OOM was instituted - having one big year and one rather bad one has usually beaten two years of averageness.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:01 am

Zeyes wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:40 am
thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:10 am I heard Nicho was having a pop at the system on Talksport, easy to do when you've just lost out, but it's as if the previous two years mean nothing.
I like Nicholson, but I can't muster much sympathy considering he lost first-round at Ally Pally to Kevin freakin' Burness (136th on the Pro Tour this year!), and didn't even qualify the other year during his two-year card. Only two other non-UK Open TV appearances (PCF last year, Euros this year), and he got bundled straight out in those, too - granted, bad luck to have drawn MvG both times, but that was kinda made up with the Burness draw. Plus a UK Open loss to Paul Hogan of all people.

Also, only tied for 81st place in Players Championships events this year; if he'd played a little more like a top 64 player in those he wouldn't be in this situation now. Overall, two mediocre seasons that just happened to not quite be enough. Whatever the faults of the Worlds payouts, there are plenty of other opportunities to pick up big chunks of money during two years (big relative to what's needed for top 64 status at least), and he just didn't do enough of that.

If the DDB numbers are accurate, he's finished at 63rd in a one-year list both for 2017 and 2018. That's kinda harsh to be missing out on the top 64 in the aggregate, but that's been possible ever since the OOM was instituted - having one big year and one rather bad one has usually beaten two years of averageness.
It's not even one big year sometimes, it's one big event, and sometimes not even that big. Should someone really earn their tour card almost solely off the back of a last 16 place? Quarters or semis, sure, but last 16? Plus, Petersen did nothing to earn his place last year, take off that £11k and he's just over a thousand behind Nicholson. I was glad that Ratajski didn't end up in the top 64 last year after his loss to Wilson (thought he'd have no bother getting his tour card ha), but as it turns out, those wildcards made a massive difference

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:31 am

thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:01 am It's not even one big year sometimes, it's one big event, and sometimes not even that big. Should someone really earn their tour card almost solely off the back of a last 16 place? Quarters or semis, sure, but last 16? Plus, Petersen did nothing to earn his place last year, take off that £11k and he's just over a thousand behind Nicholson. I was glad that Ratajski didn't end up in the top 64 last year after his loss to Wilson (thought he'd have no bother getting his tour card ha), but as it turns out, those wildcards made a massive difference
My point is that what Nicholson's done the last two seasons doesn't exactly scream "this player ought to be keeping his tour card through the ranking". That's true for Devon Petersen and some others as well, there's no doubt about that, but I can't get too up in arms over some borderline players being fortunate in the end and others not, especially when one who misses out had such a prime opportunity as Nicholson did but proceeded to blow it. Play better throughout the two years you're given, if you don't want to leave it to the vagaries of one or two competitors getting hot at the right/wrong time.

If Nicholson ends up getting four shit draws at Q School (if he has to play there) and doesn't regain his card despite playing well, that's a much bigger injustice than him finishing 65th on a two-year list consisting of over 80 events and losing the card in the first place.

BeppeBergomi

Post by BeppeBergomi » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:55 am

thegentle wrote:
Rogg wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:38 pm Add 100k for a semi-final win. Aspinall would indeed qualify for the Masters, lol.

Burton DeWitt‏ @bsd987

Amidst all this talk of who's going to be in the Dutch team at the World Cup, Smith can all but seal his place in the England team for the first time with a win against Aspinall
England will have a very strong team with Cross and Smith.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BeppeBergomi

Post by BeppeBergomi » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:57 am

As regards the ranking issue, I think it does make sense having the biggest rewards given for the World Championships.

Maybe what they need is to increase the money for the other TV Majors in proportion to the Worlds so that the Order of Merit would have a fair representation.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:01 am

thegentle wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:46 am
A lot of the issues will be probably due to the current political issues over there..
The country is going through some serious issues and is quite unstable..
Asia on the other hand, is quite a safe bet

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:26 am

Don't have much concern for those losing their card. If your that far down your shit, if your not shit then getting some kind of result over 4 days shouldn't be a problem. If it is then you need to go work on it in the other tour or go to the BDO see how that works for ya.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:26 am

A below par season for MvG and he still ends up half a million about the number 2 in the seasonal OOM