Random Dart Stuff

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
The Gronk

Re: Random Dart Stuff

Post by The Gronk » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:53 pm

PT13 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:44 pm From the 1990s darts world, I miss the old atmosphere most. That rowdy, working class atmosphere in low roof buildings like the Circus Tavern, but weren't the mass booing on finishes like today. The feeling when coming up to a Circus Tavern World Championship was special. It was a very different feeling to today. Today it's more sanitized somehow, less personal, less cosy, but it does have better depth in quality. Gerwyn Price has some of the old school feeling though. Price brings that energy, edginess and controversy, and he can play darts at the very highest level of play when on top form. Yet a lot of today's "fans" boo him all the time.
Spot on about the atmosphere, plus the crowd were a lot closer to the action. Price is a stand out player in todays crop but also a world class prick on stage. The Taylor of old would mop the floor with him. The Taylor of today would give him a good run for his money if his heart was in it (but lose more than likely).

PT13

Post by PT13 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:55 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:47 pm
PT13 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:44 pm From the 1990s darts world, I miss the old atmosphere most. That rowdy, working class atmosphere in low roof buildings like the Circus Tavern, but weren't the mass booing on finishes like today. The feeling when coming up to a Circus Tavern World Championship was special. It was a very different feeling to today. Today it's more sanitized somehow, less personal, less cosy, but it does have better depth in quality. Gerwyn Price has some of the old school feeling though. Price brings that energy, edginess and controversy, and he can play darts at the very highest level of play when on top form. Yet a lot of today's "fans" boo him all the time.
Aye, I miss the atmosphere you refer to. It was still present when I started watching PDC darts in late 1999.
Even the noughties it was still there, although slowly fading by late in the decade. The smoking ban in pubs was 2007, wasn't it? Taylor's overwhelming run of 2008-2010 seemed to change things too. It was so far above for so long that it forced other players to change, especially as the number of tournaments and money were now really taking off.

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:55 pm

The Thorn wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:50 pm
TheMalteseDart wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:49 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:03 pm
TheMalteseDart wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:40 pm
Randall wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:35 pm

+1
Why is that?
They're all before my time really other than Taylor, all i've got to go on really is old classic matches, and I have watched a lot of them. But Priestley and Harrington didn't come across as the most exciting watches in the world, my perspective would probably be different if i'd watched them live though

I think majority of the elite players now are all exciting watches, MVG and Price matches are always enjoyable, Wright when on form I love watching, and now we've also got Clayton who's a pretty quick thrower and I love watching his big checkouts

I just think when all the best players today are on song playing against each other it's a great watch.

I don't disagree on preferring to watch Taylor and Bristow though
Krusty is rancid FFS, nothing exciting about him

Games like this are what i'm referring to, he will get these streaks of form where he can just maintain such a high level and I think when he's like this he's great to watch, the frustration with Wright stems a lot from how shit he can be and when he is shit he's rancid in a similar way to Wade when off form

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:56 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:49 pm They're all before my time really other than Taylor, all i've got to go on really is old classic matches, and I have watched a lot of them. But Priestley and Harrington didn't come across as the most exciting watches in the world, my perspective would probably be different if i'd watched them live though

I think majority of the elite players now are all exciting watches, MVG and Price matches are always enjoyable, Wright when on form I love watching, and now we've also got Clayton who's a pretty quick thrower and I love watching his big checkouts

I just think when all the best players today are on song playing against each other it's a great watch.

Fair enough.

Another thing that taints the current era is that there are too many generic tournaments and the players have become a bit overexposed as a result. I can't get excited about floor events either.

The emergence of Price and Clayton over the past few years has helped greatly though.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:03 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:56 pm
TheMalteseDart wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:49 pm They're all before my time really other than Taylor, all i've got to go on really is old classic matches, and I have watched a lot of them. But Priestley and Harrington didn't come across as the most exciting watches in the world, my perspective would probably be different if i'd watched them live though

Fair enough.

Another thing that taints the current era is that there are too many generic tournaments and the players have become a bit overexposed as a result. I can't get excited about floor events either.

The emergence of Price and Clayton over the past few years has helped greatly though.
The overexpose bit is why I will happily miss the Premier League nights more than any other event in the world even though it's the best players playing at the best standard, and I guess why I do enjoy floor events because you at least see different players. UK Open is one of my favourite events for the same reason and the upset element.

Before the Premier League there was never a scenario where people were watching the same 8 players playing on a weekly basis over a period of 3 or 4 months, I guess that's why the players of the pre Premier League era are remembered more fondly.

Thinking about it now Clayton has stopped getting his belly tickled by Price and they're both beating each other at an equal amount, even a tie like that will soon become stale because they just meet so often. It's very rare nowadays for a game to still be really intriguing no matter how many times two players have met, MVG v Anderson may be the only one

PT13

Post by PT13 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:04 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:56 pmFair enough.

That's why I think they should vary the formats a bit. Some Pro Tours should be first to 2 sets. A bit more set play needed. One of the many reasons for the late 1980s BDO crash was the sameiness of tournament formats, which is why Tommy Cox in the early WDC/PDC years wanted the World Championship as set play, the World Matchplay as leg play, and the World Grand Prix as double in, double out.
sennafan24 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:56 pmThe emergence of Price and Clayton over the past few years has helped greatly though.
Agreed. I prefer the current era to van Gerwen as the dominant player with him and Anderson as the top 2.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:09 pm

The Thorn wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:50 pm Krusty is rancid FFS, nothing exciting about him
Wright on form is ruthlessly clinical.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:11 pm

PT13 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:09 pm
The Thorn wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:50 pm Krusty is rancid FFS, nothing exciting about him
So is Andy Boulton. I was not on about his standard but his general watchability. He is slower than the average and he has zero personality on stage.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

ILAD

Post by ILAD » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:19 pm

The Thorn wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:11 pm
So is Andy Boulton. I was not on about his standard but his general watchability. He is slower than the average and he has zero personality on stage.
The mongs love him.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:21 pm

The Gronk wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:53 pm Spot on about the atmosphere, plus the crowd were a lot closer to the action. Price is a stand out player in todays crop but also a world class prick on stage. The Taylor of old would mop the floor with him. The Taylor of today would give him a good run for his money if his heart was in it (but lose more than likely).
They did meet at the 2017 World Matchplay. 10-5 to Taylor, after it was 5-5. Taylor's comments about Price afterwards were very accurate about how Price keeping the fire while playing would help him a lot in the long term, even though it was hurting him in the short term at the time.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:23 pm

ILAD wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:19 pm
The mongs love him.
Well of course. The hairdo, dress and dance are all to hide the fact he actually has no personality.

ILAD

Post by ILAD » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:25 pm

The Thorn wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:23 pm
The mongs love him.
Well of course. The hairdo, dress and dance are all to hide the fact he actually has no personality.
I take it he fucked you off in the past?

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:26 pm

ILAD wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:25 pm
The mongs love him.
No.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:28 pm

The way Peter Wright used to be battered by Michael van Gerwen, time after time after time, and yet came through it to beat van Gerwen in a World Championship final and a World Matchplay semi final, should be inspiring for any dart player going through tough times or going through a major drought, like a Michael Smith or Dave Chisnall.

ILAD

Post by ILAD » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:28 pm

The Thorn wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:26 pm
ILAD wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:25 pm

The mongs love him.
No.
Guilty as fuck. :lol:

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:32 pm

I think he's underrated in terms of what he could do at his best. Tony David was the best BDO player by some distance in 2002, as he won their World Championship, won the Australian Grand Masters, won the World Darts Trophy and won the Doeland Grand Masters.

I don't think this is appreciated as much as it should be, primarily because the Embassy title came at the beginning of the run rather than the end.

ILAD

Post by ILAD » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:35 pm

The Thorn wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:32 pm I think he's underrated in terms of what he could do at his best. Tony David was the best BDO player by some distance in 2002, as he won their World Championship, won the Australian Grand Masters, won the World Darts Trophy and won the Doeland Grand Masters.

I don't think this is appreciated as much as it should be, primarily because the Embassy title came at the beginning of the run rather than the end.
What the fuck has this got to do with your obsession with Wright?

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:51 pm

ILAD wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:35 pm
The Thorn wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:32 pm I think he's underrated in terms of what he could do at his best. Tony David was the best BDO player by some distance in 2002, as he won their World Championship, won the Australian Grand Masters, won the World Darts Trophy and won the Doeland Grand Masters.

He's posting for the sake of posting.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:52 pm

Slow players don't bother me so much.

The likes of Pipe and Duzza being exceptions of course.

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:42 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:51 pm
ILAD wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:35 pm

He's posting for the sake of posting.
How about "fucks it gotta do with you??"