Premier League - Wk 14 Discussion

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
M H
Site Admin

Premier League - Wk 14 Discussion

Post by M H » Tue May 10, 2011 12:42 pm

Lifted from Planet Darts:

Play-Off Race Rests Between Duo

10 May 2011
THE race for the final place in the 888.com Premier League Darts Play-Offs sees Adrian Lewis and Simon Whitlock battling for fourth spot on the final league night at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle on Thursday.

Phil Taylor, Gary Anderson and Raymond van Barneveld have already booked their semi-final spots to compete for the £125,000 first prize next Thursday at the Wembley Arena.

The final place, though, will be decided on the last of 14 league nights this Thursday, when the eight players head to Newcastle's Metro Radio Arena.

Lewis currently sits two points clear of Whitlock in fourth place, meaning he needs to avoid defeat in his clash with Gary Anderson to ensure a Play-Off place.

A defeat for the World Champion would, though, mean that a win for Whitlock against Phil Taylor by enough legs to overhaul his leg difference with Lewis would give the Australian fourth place.

888.com Premier League Darts
The Battle For Fourth Place
Adrian Lewis v Gary Anderson
Lewis only needs to avoid defeat to secure fourth place.

Phil Taylor v Simon Whitlock
A defeat for Lewis means a Whitlock win would see him move onto 13 points alongside Lewis. The Australian, though, currently trails Lewis by eight legs in leg difference, so would need to overhaul this to take fourth.

What if Lewis & Whitlock finish on 13 points with the same Leg Difference?
The deciding factor in this case would be Legs Won Against Throw (LWAT).
This currently stands at Lewis 26, Whitlock 29.
If LWAT was also equal, then the Overall League Average for each player would be the deciding factor.

How The Play-Off Race Looks

Phil Taylor (Q)
Gary Anderson (Q)
R v Barneveld (Q)
Adrian Lewis
Simon Whitlock

Meanwhile, darts fans can now vote for the forfeit which the losing players on Team Green in the 888.com Team Challenge will have to undertake.

The 888.com Team Challenge sees the eight players split into two four-player teams, with Team Blue (Phil Taylor, Raymond van Barneveld, Gary Anderson & Terry Jenkins) defeating Team Green (Adrian Lewis, James Wade, Simon Whitlock & Mark Webster).

Because Team Green have scored the fewest total of league points accumulated by its players, they will have to complete a forfeit, which can be voted for now by darts fans by clicking here.

888.com Premier League Darts
Week 14 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle
James Wade v Terry Jenkins
Mark Webster v Raymond van Barneveld
Adrian Lewis v Gary Anderson
Phil Taylor v Simon Whitlock
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Dicie

Re: Premier League - Wk 14 Discussion

Post by Dicie » Tue May 10, 2011 12:44 pm

Wade has been shocking in this event this yr. Infact, the last 18 months have seen him dip in and out of form, 1 day excellent, the next day pub standard

gav666

Post by gav666 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:02 pm

taylor on last how odd!!!!
PROUD SPONSOR OF ROBBIE "KONG" GREEN AND ALAN" DICIE" REILLY

Dartfrog

Post by Dartfrog » Tue May 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Not sure how much heart Gando will have for this one, he was pash last week.

Furious Wolfie 180

Post by Furious Wolfie 180 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:20 pm

Was tempted to go but i'm away for the weekend on Friday and was at a stag doo last Sat the funds are tight atm...

Sid will be on top form...;)
You choose your leaders and place your trust
As their lies put you down and their promises bust

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue May 10, 2011 1:57 pm

see this week being a dull one....with 3 of the players already certs and lewis almost certain for the last spot its just a case of going through the motions

Dartfrog

Post by Dartfrog » Tue May 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Pretty much how i see it unfortunately.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Tue May 10, 2011 1:59 pm

I think it has been the best PL so far though and finals night should be a cracker
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Dartfrog

Post by Dartfrog » Tue May 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Rod Harrington hijacked your account?

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue May 10, 2011 2:07 pm

I am probably in the minority here but give me a weekend players championship over the PL any day.

In the average week its the darts on the saturday and sunday I prefer more than the PL.
Ok the pl is televised and the PC not but the pc 's have such an important place in darts as opposed to the PL which for all intentional purposes is really only a lucrative exbo

Dartfrog

Post by Dartfrog » Tue May 10, 2011 2:11 pm

The PL is a cash cow and a night of entertaining darts (on occassion). To me it's not an event to be taken too seriously.

Dicie

Post by Dicie » Tue May 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Dartfrog wrote:The PL is a cash cow and a night of entertaining darts (on occassion). To me it's not an event to be taken too seriously.

Its keeping the PDC'd head above water

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue May 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Dicie wrote:
Dartfrog wrote:The PL is a cash cow and a night of entertaining darts (on occassion). To me it's not an event to be taken too seriously.

Its keeping the PDC'd head above water

True .but I would love a different format to the one that has been done for ages now.14 weeks of the same players is just a little too much,Look at the players still not involved who would add more to weekly tv.Newton is on fire lately, King always solid, .
A field of the top 16 players all player each other the once over 16 weeks would be a far better thing in my eyes

Dartfrog

Post by Dartfrog » Tue May 10, 2011 2:30 pm

I quite like the format to that comp that's only streamed on the net via 365 etc. Champions League or whatever it's called.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue May 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Dartfrog wrote:I quite like the format to that comp that's only streamed on the net via 365 etc. Champions League or whatever it's called.

aye...a tasty comp that...though I do have an issue with the top players going in at day one.

The earlier you go in the more chances you get not only to qualify but to earn cash.
As opposed to a player joining on the last day(the 8th) and only getting the single day to qualify and earn some dosh.

Raff

Post by Raff » Tue May 10, 2011 3:48 pm

M H wrote:Play-Off Race Rests Between Duo

10 May 2011
THE race for the final place in the 888.com Premier League Darts Play-Offs sees Adrian Lewis and Simon Whitlock battling for fourth spot on the final league night at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle on Thursday.
They can try and sell it however they like, we all know Lewis is in. Most pointless night on the darting calendar coming right up, folks.

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Tue May 10, 2011 4:58 pm

"One idea for the future could be a professional darts league consisting of the top eight or 16 professionals taking
part in a series of tournaments in cities and towns throughout Britain between October and Feburary.

Positions at each event would secure points which would then be totaled to find the eventual champion. The players
would share the pot at the end of the competition.

Obviously appearance fees would have to be sorted out and whether top county players be included would need to be discussed.
Personally I feel there should be a total split between the professional and amateur players."

John Lowe -1989

kind of nostrodamusly interesting.

wonder how he would spruce things up in the PL and/or darts now?

Dartfrog

Post by Dartfrog » Tue May 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Loser leaves town match?

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Tue May 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Losers have to pantomime a horse race? oh, wait...

Dartfrog

Post by Dartfrog » Tue May 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Took about 15 years before Stoney's vision came to fruition, not sure what he'd do but i do agree it needs to be revamped and shaken up a bit.